11.24.2008

Brothers

Or should I say brother? I only have 1! 
Tomorrow marks 4 years since my brother passed away. Four years ago, it landed on Thanksgiving. 
What a crappy day to die. 
I have been thinking about Brian, and missing him. 
I won't ever pretend he was a saint. That he was perfect and made all the right choices, or that his bad deeds sometimes outdid his good. 
Nor will I ever pretend he had a great life and didn't suffer from a deep, black depression. So severe of a depression that when he was hospitalized, the doctors didn't know if they would be able to help him out of it. 
I often mourn of moments that could have been, times that could've been better had he lived, had he been free from his depression and disability. 
Can you imagine-
Being 21 and in a car accident on your way to work that left you paralyzed from the chest down?
Not being able to control 3/4 of your body anymore?
Including bowel movements?
Having to use a catheter everyday, every time you had to go to the bathroom?
Phantom pains in limbs you can no longer use? 
Having to depend on others to help with groceries, making your bed, doing your laundry? 
Having to sell your dirtbike because it is worthless to you know? 

Maybe you can, and if you do, I want to say how amazing I think you are. For all the things we do on a daily basis that you cannot, or do only with great effort. 

I was always amazed at the trust Brian had to put in other people. When he had to go down a flight of stairs, he had to depend on others to carry him down. I could see the nerves in his eyes as he was carried down. I always thought that must be hard. To trust that they won't drop you, because you can't catch yourself. 

I'll never forget looking Bri in the eye after we learned he wouldn't make it through the day. I just held his hand and asked him if he was ready. If he was ready to meet Jesus. He looked me straight in the eye and nodded his head. My physical body lost it, but I felt inner peace that he knew what was coming and was not scared. I wonder if I will feel the peace I saw in his eyes. 

My Dear Brother, I love you and miss you. I'm off to have a good cry now... 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How horribly sad. :( I'm sorry for your loss...a good cry sounds like just the thing.

Alicia O. & the gang said...

Well...you know and I know that there is only one person who knows exactly what you feel...and that's not me! But...knowing that I am also aware that someone praying can help. So that's what I am here to offer tonight and into tomorrow! Prayers of thankfullness that you know where he is and that you and your family will get to see him again someday. The bummer...that I am sure you wish it were now! But again I will pray that you can be comforted through a "good cry" (as I need on occassion too)...well...I can't see the screen through my tear filled eyes anymore! So just know I will be praying for you!

Miss said...

oh my gosh. my heart just broke reading that. What a beautiful tribute to him.

that is all I can say.

Miss said...

moh my gosh. my heart just broke reading that. What a beautiful tribute to him.

that is all I can say.

heidi said...

Hold on..wait..I have to compose myself.

I lost my brother, so to speak (long sad horrific story), 4 years ago. I'm very sorry for your loss. SOmetimes it feels like I'm missing my arm or something. Yk? Like there's part of me not here anymore? Or something. I dunno.

Anyway.

Thinking of you, Jill.

Jazzy said...

Wow Sara. Thanks for sharing whats on your heart and mind. I am sorry that Thanksgiving isn't always a joyfull time in your family. We are praying that even in grief and sadness you will all find happiness and joy in each other and most importantly in God:) We love you and miss you guys!!

Alicia O. & the gang said...

Hey...speaking of churches! The other thing I wanted to tell you is that our new pastor starts his first sermon Dec. 14! Feel free to come check him out then or any time after!

kay said...

I am so, so sorry. Thank you for sharing Brian with me. I will be thinking of him.

Megan Marie said...

Sara,

It is a devastating loss. I'll be praying for your healing. I'll tell you this, you will always miss him, always wonder, and always love him. Treasure the good and the bad.

I miss my brother everyday, it's been 16 years now. He's with Jesus, and wow, I couldn't even begin to imagine how joyful his experiences are, and that gives me great comfort.

In my prayers,
Megan "Grell" Bergman

Anonymous said...

this is sooo touching... I am so glad I found your blog....or you found mine...whatever!

Gardner Momma said...

Very, very touching. Makes me appreciate my pain in the butt brothers. Thanks for sharing.