3.17.2009

Things that Torque me

Our state DFL is proposing a 7% cut to education spending across the board over the next 2 years. To me this seems incredibly shortsighted and moronic. (not going to mince words here.) In a state/national economy this in a recession, we are going to CUT an additional 7%? My district is proposing a cut that would lose 16% of our district teachers- and that is IF state funding stays at current levels and does not decrease. For our district, a 7% cut would mean cutting at least another $500,000 dollars from our budget. How many teachers, paras and additional staff would we lose?
What makes this even more incredible is that we received a STIMULUS from our federal government. Our state is hoping to cut their portion (their responsibility) of education dollars, saying that we received federal dollars, so we don’t need state money. I am not sure I am stupid or not, but that seems idiotic to me. A stimulus package is meant to ADD additional monies to the state, not replace.
And to say that this is meant to help balance the state budget is shortsighted as well. . As a cut teacher next year, I am no longer going to be bringing in an income. I will collect unemployment, as there are no teaching jobs within a 75 miles radius due to cuts. My children will no longer attend childcare, causing our provider to lose $750 a month in income. Additionally, I am no longer spending any unnecessary money, instead putting it into savings for the days ahead. Any home improvement plans? We have put on hold. If you take this same scenario and repeat it across the state, how is this helping our state economy? I can’t see it.

**Step down from soapbox** There ends my rant. For now. I have more letters to write to our legislature.

Corey and I are downstairs. I am doing laundry and he is putting his away. We hear the pitter patter of Asher’s feet rushing across the floor upstairs. He appears at the top of the stairs, and we hear, in his breathless toddler voice, “NOBODY NEEDS TO PUT ASHER IN TIME OUT.”
Followed by, “Someone can get Asher a washrag? Peez?”

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how Asher refers to himself in the third person.

Lisa said...

My husband is a special ed teacher. Because he's special ed, his job is safe. Many teachers at his school, who have been there longer, got pink slips. It seems like all of our friends are teachers, and they too got pink slips, and the ones who didn't are in districs who are doing salary freezes and pay cuts. It blows my mind that government thinks that education is expendable and an area that can handle such dramatic cuts and decreases. Build a few less bridges, pave a few less random roads, cut salaries of big government workers, but don't affect the education and future of our kids!!! I'm so sorry for everything you're dealing with.

Kameron said...

Maybe if the government would invest in what is important, which is the education of future generations, we could get out of this mess eventually! Sorry you are going through this. I can't see the country improving if they keep making these kinds of decisions. It kills me to even think about it!

Guacaholic said...

I have no idea WHY, but it's like the Republicans and the Democrats switched roles.

Granted, the state has a serious, SERIOUS deficit and the stimulus doesn't cover even 1/3 of the deficit, and the budget needs to get balanced out. But our state's education system has been going downhill for a while (cough cough, Gov. Pawlenty, cough cough), and contrary to the belief of some conservatives, public education benefits society as a whole. (History does not lie on that subject.)

Without going to deeply into economic development issues, I can assure you that in addition to unemployment issues, a weak education system plays a significant role in deterring employers and talented employees from MN. We could discuss that topic all day long, girl. Education has been the backbone of our state, but the MN that you and I grew up in is not the MN that exists today.

Not cool.

The Stiffs said...

I am now going to be asking questions about what is happening in our district. I've heard that my kids' school will completely close. It's time to look for new orders but it sounds bad all over.

Staci said...

I agree that this is moronic! Our governor doesn't want to accept all the stimulus money and wants to NOT use money that is supposed to be for education and use it to pay down debt in the state! Give me a break here! Teachers bust their behinds doing everything they can for the kids on top of being beaten down by districts and government to do better. I don't know of any teacher who has NOT paid out of their own pocket for stuff for their classroom. When was the last time a government official stepped foot into a classroom? Maybe they should be teachers for a little while to see what they are doing to our education system! Okay...stepping off soapbox now so I don't burn the cake that's in the oven :)

Debbie said...

I really feel like sticking my head in the sand and not even thinking about the mess we are all in any more. I wish I could see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Cammie said...

I have an award for you today!

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

It amazes me how people in leadership positions can be morons when it comes to education.

dawnmramsey said...

All I can say is, "Ugh."

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. Budget cuts suck, the economy sucks. It's hard to get upbeat about things when I keep hearing more and more stories like this.

But I LOVED the last paragraph. You'll have to tell us what he did!

Jenni said...

My school system is in a shambles, too. We're facing HUGE layoffs and massive cuts in services...it is so sad because it is the children who are ultimately going to pay.

Miller Racing Family said...

I am so sorry that you are part of the teacher cuts. But in my opinion you can stay on your soapbox all you want because I totally agree we shouldn't cut the teaching staff, because the main people we are hurting is the kids.
I also love how your little guy refers to himself in third person. How cute is that.
You will have to drop by my blog as I am giving away the Love Dare book!
Hope you have a great Tuesday!

Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} said...

I totally agree with all this... I've never really understood how it makes sense to cut teachers - the one's who teach kids who become adults. They should be a priority - not the one's getting the short end of the stick in this mess.