My hubs? Never been a hunting, fishing, belching sort of man. While this might not seem a big deal, I mean, to each his own... you need to understand where we live. Da North. Tundra, El Norte, Up North, Woods, whatever you may call, we are in Huntin' Country. Here? We sell fresh deer urine at gas stations. (Sick, sick, sick) Men go on hunting trips, plan for them for months, salivate over new guns and fishing poles and such. Come October, you start to see orange hanging outside, to get.. actually, I am not sure why they do this.
My husband? His most exciting time of year is when the MacWorld Expo is on and Steve Jobs is ready to make an announcement.
So. When a friendly woodchuck showed up at our house last year (much like this little guy)
My dad kept bugging Core to shoot the thing. He said it would ruin the yard, the wood, blah blah... Finally, Corey borrowed a gun from my dad and shot the thing. It died. (I guess this happens when you shoot something.) Corey was really quiet for a few minutes, then asked me to call my dad to come take care of the body. Turns out, he felt terrible for shooting it. He said he would never kill one again. Now, I am fine with this. Whatever, I could care less if he doesn't want to kill Bambi. It does make us oddities in this Land of the North though.
Like yesterday? When my coworkers were talking about the deer and fish hanging on their walls? I was totally out of the loop. What kind of sorta North Woods resident am I? Talking about fishing opener? My husband doesn't even know when it is.
I've nary a deer head (or twenty) on my wall to stare at me with it's blank, beady, dead eyes. (Seriously, who would let their spouse do this?)
And I certainly am not owner of one of whatever the heck sickness that this is.

I have no pics of my manly man like this: Holding his catch to show the world.
I've nary a deer head (or twenty) on my wall to stare at me with it's blank, beady, dead eyes. (Seriously, who would let their spouse do this?)
And I certainly am not owner of one of whatever the heck sickness that this is. 
No beavers, animal skins, miscellany heads. I am going to gander a guess that we are the only home in a mile radius (or 19) that has no animal head, Terry Redlin, or fish on the wall.
My man? He hangs old Mac computer parts on his office walls. (Yes, I am serious.)
I'll take it. And I am guessing the two new woodchucks taking up residence under our deck (Frank and Betty, if you're wondering what I named them) are happy as well.
** Backstory... Why is hubs not into hunting? I guess that when he was younger, his dad took him out hunting. He shot a deer, and they chased it down. It was still breathing when they found it, struggling not to die. Corey's dad made him touch it as it died, and he watched it die. That was the last time he ever went hunting.
How about you? Are you too an oddity in your area? Do you live in Silicon Valley and hate computers? Next to the Mall of America and hate shopping? (actually, don't tell me that if you do, it would hurt too much.)
43 comments:
OMG we are definetly the odd balls where we live. VEG heads in Mid-West? UGH! We should have stayed in CA! :)
this made me laugh.
my BIL is an avid hunter.
he loves all things HUNTING!
he has all the gear, the license plate, the steering wheel cover, floor mats, etc.
my husband on the other hand, thank the lord, is NOT into hunting. i'm thankful that my husband doesn't desire to get up at 3 a.m. to go wait for a deer or geese or whatever the 'game' happens to be.
however, being from a town, where the biggest GOLF tournament around is hosted. i couldn't be more out of place. i am not a golfer.
for one, i'm too loud, two, it is too slow for me and lastly, the 'announcers' for golf, i can't stand to listen to them. they are whispering as if the golfers can here them. ugh.
however, i love the theme music for our tournament. i get teary each year when i hear it. brings back memories of my childhood.
anyways, as you can tell -- i'm not into golf.
but, i respect and admire the ppl who can play it and are good b/c my husband says it is a game of great skill.
This made me laugh. My step family is into hunting, even the girls. You should see the pictures that just loaded on FB. I'm not so odd at the beach but when we move closer to home, that'll be us.
That wedding we went to...At the rehearsal dinner, my step dad looked at my husband and said, "Do you ever feel like you just don't belong?" This was an eclectic group of people. At that moment, a girl whose boobs were about to fall out walked by with a tatoo the size of Alaska across her chest. You couldn't even see the whole thing. The dreadlocks, etc... My super conservative, very military husband looked up and said, "Yes, I don't belong."
My hubby sounds just like yours! THANK GOD because I think I would die (or I would have to kill him) if we had deer mounted on our walls. Good grief! My hubs does like to fish when we go visit my folks in SC, but that is just about the only time that he becomes an outdoorsman. Except for the fact that he is a landscaper so he is outside CONSTANTLY!
Okay, that last picture is BIZARRE. Doooood.
Dave straddles the line between oddity and normal for El Norte. He loves fishing, and his favorite day of the year is goose hunting (what? Not my birthday? Ha.) in Manitoba. And we have lots of mounted fish (they just haven't been put up yet) ("no deer heads allowed in this house" says me). But in reality, he's as/more happy building a computer from scratch and obsessing over technology. His "Cities" identity is different from his Ely identity.
Unless you're growing veggies on your deck, I think you're fine to leave the woodchucks be. They're cute!
Sounds like my hubs. He has no interest in hunting and thinks fishing is too boring. He, too, is the tech savvy type.
When we moved here, I thought we'd be moving to hillbilly land, but after living here I think all the hillbillies already moved up to where we used to live!
hahahaha
My hubby's not a hunter either, which is probably good since we live just outside of Boston. Not much to hunt here.
My dad is a big time hunter though. My mom makes him hang his antlers and deer heads in the garage! lol And they hang their hunting clothes outside to get their scent out of them. Apparently, if they smell like themselves or laundry soap the deer can tell. Then they spray some deer urine "cologne" on them.
Darn it! I wish my hubby smelled like deer urine...
I live in Utah and don't know how to do the "Utah puff" for my hair. Does that count?
My hubs is a geek too. He used to have old computer parts, and really old full functioning computers in the house. I made him get rid of them. I know, how mean.... it was getting to be too much, and took up too much darn space. What was I to do?
He doesn't miss them. Or maybe it's that I don't miss them. Same difference.
We're in the Detroit area and we hate cars and we don't watch hocky or basketball or football(can you blame us 0-16?) We sometimes will turn on baseball. We also do not hunt. And we're in the North also. Oh well. Atleast I get to see my hubby in the fall. :) And our grass is green only cuz it's had rained for like two weeks straight. It better be green. :)
Hubba Hubba will head out once a year for "deer week." It's more about bonding time with his dad--he's never actually come home with anything, at least not since we've been married.
Before I got married, I lived with a family with deer heads on the wall. They hung Christmas ornaments off the antlers during the holidays.
Oh yeah.
"We sell fresh deer urine at gas stations."
OMG-HOW FUNNY!
it's only too sad that I know exactly what you mean :) GREAT POST!
MADE ME CRACK UP!! We are, unfortunately, not oddities! My husband does have a couple of deer head (NOT allowed on the wall!!), a duck or two (they are pretty) and a pheasant.
Here in our office....we have deer, duck,.....Seriously!!! My husband is not one of those obsessed one! Now my brother on the other head....he probably has deer urine in his frig at home. LOL
How, exactly, do they collect fresh deer urine? I can see it now...
Com'ere! Yeah, you with the antlers. I gotta deal for ya. See this here rifle? I'm fixin' to take you out with it. You can run, but my ammo is faster and my aim is true. Whaddya mean why'd I call you over here? Well, you and me, see, we can be a team. Yes, we can. See, here's what I'm thinking. I've got this cup here, and if you would be just pee in it, I could use it to attract MORE deer. In exchange, you get to live. Yeah, that's right, I'd use it to lead your buddies to me. Sure you can trust me (wink, wink). Just think, after I wipe out a few of your buds, there won't be as many of you fellows around to fight over those does. It's a win-win for us both. So whaddya say? Hmmmm? We got a deal?
I can't stop looking at that last picture. can't stop laughing. haha! Strange.....
My husband is a deer hunter. No, I'm not into it and no, I don't let him hang deer heads on my walls. haha!
And that story about your husband's first time hunting made me cringe. Can't blame him for not wanting to hunt!
Oh Sara! We have MORE in common. My man is not a hunter either. He's more likely going to bring them home to 'nurse them back to health' than to shoot them. He's not a fisher or a hunter, and I'm glad! I like him just fine this way.
((he cries in movies, too!))
My man is not a hunter either, and I'm so glad for it. Growing up, my Dad was a big hunter. My older sisters watched him clean one of his kills (I think it was a rabbit), and they are still vegetarians to this day. My brother tried hunting, but he always felt so bad about killing an animal that he didn't really stick with it for long.
People hunt outside of Arkansas? I didn't know this. I wish I had something super strange to add about my husband, but this is the best I can come up with, (and it's not THAT odd):
He and I don't want children. I like them OK and all, but I dont have the urge to pick up a strangers child and hug it. He, would rather they all be shipped somewhere else. BUT he works for his brother, who is a pediatric dentist. So he is around kids all day. I guess that's funny.
But, occasionally, he has to help hold a child down (not as terrible as it sounds) and at 6'4", he can be scary to a child. So I guess thats his payback!
Well, I live near Seattle and I'm NOT obsessed with coffee, does that count? But I drink it, so maybe that doesn't count. Your husband has such a good heart. I would have a hard time being married to a hunter.
You are right, hunting and fishing are huge there. I am not into either, neither is my husband. And no we haven't sold the house yet, and hubs is going back to school keeping us here another year, but still keeping the house for sale...so see you in a year!
Great post. I to do not have a husband who goes hunting or fishing. Please, do you think we can afford one more bad habit, racing is all we can handle.
Now my brother and father are another story. During any of the hunting seasons my brother will take off, they call it Troutman hunting holidays. We even have a school down here that takes a week off for deer season. No I am not telling a story.
Have a great day!
LOL, I laugh at all of your posts. I too am married to a man who doesn't hunt. He likes to fish, but that's about it. and i would NEVER put a dead head of anykind on my wall. In the town we live in, everyone is a hunter/fisher, but I'm thankful that my husband is like yours. ;)
We have a lot of hunters around us...and my hubby would never hunt. Deer are one of his favorite animals! Honestly, they are one of my favorite as well, and I would hate for him to be a hunter.
I live near Seattle and I don't like baseball, coffee or RAIN. I am soooo out of place here. I need lots of sunshine.
Giggles
I'm of the opinion that you don't have to shoot animals and mount their dead carcasses to your wall to be manly! My hubby likes to shoot guns but he does it at a shooting range, which is fine with me!
I guess I'm a bit of an odd ball where I live. I'm a Cali girl transplanted to New England. I'm pretty much the only one who prounounces things correctly and doesn't use the term douche bag. :o)
That's hilarious that you devoted an entire post to hunting. My husband LOVES bow hunting. I don't understand how he can sit up in a tree for the whole day, being QUIET the whole time, and he may or may not see (let alone SHOOT) a deer. Last year he didn't shoot one and he said "I'm giving up this stupid hobby". But you better believe he'll be out there again this year. It's in his blood. Plus, it gives me excuses for girls weekends. :)
I am so glad you stopped by my Blog for a visit. I loved coming over here and reading this. How funny. I am from Canada so I understand Tundra and Wilderness and all that. My grandpa was a great hunter, my dad a little,and that's about it. That deer laying on the ground was disturbing!! Your poor hubs, being made to touch the deer while it died --emotional scars for sure.
anyway, very funny.
According to my husband...I am an oddity in most areas. The story about your husbands hunting experience was traumatizing for me...OMG...I can only imagine what it was like for him. Poor guy!!!!
OK - I do live about a half mile from the Mall of America - and I don't HATE shopping, but I also do most of my shopping elsewhere. I'd much rather just go into the one store I want to shop in!
Wow, this is a great post! We're in Sacramento, CA and I guess there is a little bit of that here and there. But mostly seems like a hodge-podge of things. My hubs comes from a family of hunters (their from Miss.) and he has some of his "granddaddy's" old guns, but we have been together 16 years and he has never been!
My husband has been know to hunt, my dad too, my boss a pistol carrier so I am around guns but I think I am with your husband. I don't like it. So name your critters. It is ok.
Ben is so not into hunting, but boy does he love love love to fish. He actually snuck that in on me after we got married. Never heard a word about fishing till after the honeymoon, then suddenly he needed a boat and everything that went with it. He is a catch and release kinda guy though. Wants to be a fishing pro someday. What ever as long as we can still pay the bills I guess, oh and I can still get new shoes every once in a while. lol
We have some extra deer antlers and pelts if you'd like them. I hate them myself, but my husband is all about the kill. His favorite meal is venison.
-FringeGirl
well i too am from 'up north' der hay. and our wedding was on the opening day of deer hunting. we had no problems booking anything!
Fresh deer urine? I always thought there was something a little wonky about the gas stations on the way to our Mille Lacs cabin. Yikes, I will not be stopping to take a pee break ever again!
No hunting/fishing in this house either--thank god. Ick. Plus, I just think its mean.
let's see the closest we came from killing a living things is fishing by my dad! My husband all he cares about is sports, and I would never kill anything except spiders, flies(I hate them) and mosquitos, and a roach if I saw one! I live in Texas and people Love the Dallas Cowboys and we hate them! Does that count?
Oh my goodness. That picture of all the deer heads on the wall? I would throw a fit before I let my husband do something like that! One, okay. All of those? FOrget it! He's already excited about Turkey season here in Ohio - at least that means I get some shopping time to myself! ha :)
There is something very wrong with one of those deer, LOL, its too funny, haaaaaaa
Oh. My. Goodness.
No dead animals on my wall thanks :-P, my husband is not a hunter or fisher or anything of the sort thank goodness lol.
that is really surprising to hear--especially for where you live!! I feel Corey though...traumatized!!
We are NOT football fans. That's highly irregular around these parts. In fact, we typically find out who's in the Superbowl ON Superbowl Sunday.
Now Hockey, well that's a different story...
uhhhh...I USED to be a freak where I lived, but then I moved to NY and am RIGHT at home with bagels, pizza, hot dogs and shopping.
I live next to Orlando...and hate Disney (actually hate crowds, so therefore, Disney). Gasp :)
Post a Comment