4.12.2009

Social Media Mavens

Psst... you...are you in? 

Are you a... 

SMA? (Social Media Addict) 

There is nothing to be ashamed of. There are legions of us and we rock. 

Now, if you don't know what Social Media is all about, you don't belong the blogosphere. Sorry. 

So, what are us SMA addicted to? Why, eachother of course. Nothing like a little 

 Blogger to start your morning. You wake up, grab some caffeine, check on MckMama and the rest of your peeps before you start your day. Your mate might find him/herself listening to conversations involving you and someone you've never met IRL... in fact, you even know what IRL stands for. You worry with these friends, celebrate with them, pray for them and feel like you know them. 

And well, since the internet browsers came up with this great idea to have Tabs, why not... say check out Facebook at the same time? 

You know, see what those random people you sorta remember from high school are up to? You glance at their status, look at their new pics and may even question, seriously? That is the best shot they had to post of themselves? (Oh, come on, admit it! You've though it about someone!)

And well, no Social Media Maven is complete without a twitter account. 

What is not to love about that cute little bird? You can see what the Montags' are up too, okay, scratch that. She makes me want to vomit. But.. you can see what Ace is up to, and that is just as good. And really, why wouldn't you want to hear about my latest run or ramblings?  Or what little Giancarlo has said lately? (that kid is a hoot!)

If you achieve Gold twitter Level? You may even find yourself checking for updates on your iphone..

..while using the bathroom. No, I'm not too proud to admit that. Own it. 

Your loved ones? They are used to you by now. Hubby may pass by and say, "Hi my dear, lovely wife, checking on your Social Media outlets?" You might nod, that is if you even hear him. After all, you're busy. He might even think he is funny and say something like, "I'm going to just drop a bomb on the house right now." Just to see if you are paying him any attention. (Honestly, they don't realize that we can do 2+ things at once? That the particular trait of not being able to is limited to male species?) 

The true Social Media Maven does not hesitate to use Google for everything. Want to know something? Google it. 

If you can't find it on Google, it probably doesn't exist. (BTW, if anyone comes across a conspiracy theory involving agents on the Mexican/Texas border who were given special op goggles that made them see crazy creatures, could you let me know? Thanks.) 

Ahh, yes. The life is tough, but somebody has to do it. Are you in? Are you a SMA? Am I missing an all important Social Media Application* that could further my life? Do tell. 

post signature

p.s. I purposely avoided Myspace, because, well, it is kinda trashy. 

pppps...Social Media? That is a term my husband uses. I think he heard it at one of his dork tech conferences. 


44 comments:

Cass said...

hmmmm. Shortest post EVER! :) Hope you had a good Easter.

"Cookie" said...

Try again maybe?! :)

erin said...

haha... love it! yep... i get up in the morning and click my beloved IE icon and up pop my email, facebook, blogger, and twitter tabs! i agree with myspace being trashy. i haven't been on there in years!

i wish i could check twitter from my iphone while i pee, but unfortunately i don't have an iphone... but i have been known to have my laptop on the bathroom counter! :-)

Kristina P. said...

Ahhhh, the Montags. Someone said that the thing that Lohan Twitters are so crazy, that anything I made up would be less crazy. So true.

Barbaloot said...

I haven't quite made it to Maven status...I still don't twitter.

Miller Racing Family said...

Love this post. How I love the part about talking about these people and not even knowing them in real life just through the blog. My husband thinks it is so funny, but he always listens closely to the stories. Thanks for making me feel so normal as there are others who love to blog so much!

Mandi said...

Oh Sara, You are quickly becoming one of my favorite people. But I must say I have no idea what you are talking about in this blog. lol (right and my kids dont think pop tarts is another food group!)

I agree about Myspace and try to stay away from there.I am going to let my husband read this post and say if any of it actually rings true for me. I mean its not like I'm still up at midnight checking up on all the post I havent been able to look at all night while I did homework!

I do think you missed one thing about us SMAs. Our new knowledge about HTML tags. Most of us have almost all of them memorized. Tell me when was the last time you actually used the bold or italics button at the top of your post editor? IT is so much easier to just type in a little code and keep going. Then when I preview my post and it worked it makes me feel very computer savy!

Your awesome, see ya tomorrow!
Mandi

2Corinth1:4mom said...

Busted! I'm at work, trying to get motivated to get back in the swing of things... And sure enough, every morning, I check the blogs (and my Ebay items up for auction) before I can consider bus duty and the other "chores". It's a good thing my district blocked facebook!! But I usually check facebook before I head out on my run. Hmmm... I guess I'm in! Thanks for the laughs!!
Kristin

Kaci said...

Yes I'll admit I've taken the iPhone with me while going potty. LOL! I know I know...shame!! :)

The Dental Maven said...

Dental, definitely. Social Media? Not so much. :(

The Stiffs said...

I'm starting to think my I have a problem. The hubs certainly thinks I do. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

That is totally true!!! My hubby ALWAYS teases me about going on the computer as soon as I wake up. I feel I'll miss something if I don't check. I find myself checking it throughout the day also. Hi, my name is Jen, and I'm addicted to blog reading and FB. :)

"Cookie" said...

Just this past weekend I got the "You are obsessed with that!" from the Hubby. Ha Ha..... I admit it and love it!

Sara said...

Love it! Great post! I also LOVE Google Reader...it lets me see all my favorite blogs in one place!

Cammie said...

guilty

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I do it all but twitter. If I had a blackberry I'd probably do that too.

Ace said...

Yep, I'm definitely in. Except for Facebook, I don't get into all that. But blogger, twitter and google (usually swagbucks first), I'm all about that.

And I ♥'d that you put my name in there!

E @ Scottsville said...

Oh Sara, I am RIGHT THERE WITH YA!!! =0)

In fact, over Easter dinner with my WHOLE EXTENDED FAMILY we sat around discussing Stellan. ha ha ha Family members knew who he was because of my blog and were interested in getting to know more.

I check FB and blogs from the tub & toilet too! I can OWN IT!

Kelli said...

My husband has strictly forbidden me from using any form of the word 'tweet.' I can not say "Twitter," "Tweet," and especially, "Twote."
And he regularly refers to me as a "Facebook dork."
He does not get it. And he doesn't want to.

peewee said...

My space? Does anyone even go there anymore? It's so low rent.

And I don't know WHAT you're talking about. I don't EVEN wake up just to read blogs of people I don't know! It's not even 6 am right now. I don't even know WHO's commenting right now!

You forgot wikipedia. And for me...IMDB is a must.

uhhh, and I don't know what IRL means. shame.

Amy said...

haha, so true!!!! You are one of the highlight blogs of my mornings!

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

Yes, sitting here first thing this morning with coffee in hand checking on all my internet peeps!
I'm for sure a SMA... my husband would tell you so in a heartbeat!
Hope you are doing well!

Kameron said...

I did not just buy a shirt that says, "Shh, mommy's blogging". Nope, that woulod be admitting that I have a problem!

Jenn said...

Hmm...what does it mean when Hubba Hubba's Aunt, mother, my mother and I all have a conversation about how Stellan is doing at Easter dinner? :)

Anonymous said...

I don't drink coffee, but my water w/crystal light is ready for me every morning as I log into cyberspace. :)


Hope you'll enter my giveaway today!!

seriously? said...

Yep, this is why we are "friends". We need to figure out a way to be facebook friends that way I can see more pictures of you and your beautiful family. I am going to work on it today...who knows maybe my skills as a stalker might come in handy. :)

King J's Queen said...

Dare I admit I have a myspace, too? And, egads, I don't twitter/tweet?

Yep, myspace is trashy, but I keep up with my *ahem* younger relatives there. Oh, and it keeps them from figuring out I have a facebook or a blog. Whew!

As for checking any of it while I'm indisposed...no way! I'd drop the thing in the toilet, no doubt. I stay far away from liquids in general, not just toilet water. LOL!!

Have a great day!

Stephanie said...

You hit the nail on the head with all of them. Myspace is so "high school." Facebook is for us sophisticated adults. Ahem. Wink, wink. Cough.

Anonymous said...

What did we do before SM? Seriously.

Yep, I live on SMA Way. And I'm loving it.

seriously? said...

My skills as a stalker are really lacking these days. Do you know how many Sara's there are in Minnesota on facebook? A GAZILLION!!! We need to find another way...hmmmm.

Lindsay said...

I'm totally a SMM...in fact your post hit my exact order minus a quick Gmail check. P.S. I heart google and I seriously google everything and if it can't be found there I just decide the answer doesn't exist. :)

Anonymous said...

Do you have the Daisy Feed app on your iPhone? It is awesome. It is like Bloglines, etc but it is an iPhone app. Just like the others, you put all your favorite blog and twitter people in there and when you click on it, it will show you updates. I couldn't live without it now!!! Go to App Store and just search Daisy Feed. It is free.
-AM

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

And I have to agree with whoever it was that mentioned IMDB... can't live without that one! Can't stand to be watching a show and not know where I've seen someone before. IMDB saves me everytime!
And no, I don't have MySpace... just Facebook. However, my mom can't keep them straight since my younger sister uses both... Mom calls it SpaceBook!

mummyof6monsters said...

guilty! and yep, myspace is SOOOOOO 2 years ago! lol

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

I might be an addict... if you ask my husband. ;)

OOooooh, twitter. I love it love it love it. There just isn't enough time in the day for all these SMAs!

Does anyone else think the facebook apps are weird? Everyone seems to use them, but I don't get it.

Brooke said...

Hello, my name is Brooke, and I'm a SMA.

Hello, Brooke!

(The only thing I don't have yet is an iPhone. I have major iPhone envy, and hope to get one once my current cell phone contract is up).

Debbie said...

I'm still not embracing the twitter. Oh sure, I have an account. But, I'm not embracing it. Now, google and blogger - hook me up baby!

The Mom behind the Chaos said...

Hi. My name is Dallas and I am a SMA. :O)

Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} said...

I'm so a SMA! It actually drives Greg insane. I totally get up in the morning and check all these things while eating cheerios before work.

Oh and checking twitter in the bathroom? I do that multiple times a day at work. Sometimes I even stay in the bathroom longer and check twitter just cause I don't want to go back to work. shhhhhhh

heidi said...

I am not a SMA. *sigh* I was addicted to Faebook for, like, 2 weeks until I was over it. I don't twitter. I blog when I get a chance, anymore. B is crawling into and over everything. WOrk is hellacious. UGH. I need a vacation!

Wait, what am I doing? I'm ranting on YOUR blog.

Pardon me.

That was a cool post. :-)

Anonymous said...

this cracks me up! and i have to laugh because i call my husband's meetings 'dork' meetings, too. AND i tell him he's talking 'dork' at times when he gets all mathmatical/scientific on me!!!!

cute post, sara!

thanks for stopping by my blog regularly...i'm enjoying getting to know you!

Pam said...

I'm owning up~~

I'm an Elite Gold Twitter member and proud of it!

Tina said...

Just found your blog and I love it! I am a quasi SMA because I don't have an iphone and I don't twitter - but I check in on MckMama all day long! And I google anything and everything! I just started my own blog - stop over and say hi!

{Kimber} said...

LMAO....okay your blog is giving me such joy all am...I am going back and reading previous stuff! you're KILLING me! :)