
Now that you've all had a chance to read about We {Heart} Art.. have you started? Remember, we want to see ALL your art. Whether that is Kameron's little man's work (Sorry Kameron, the baby doesn't qualify quite yet) or the stories Sienna wrote. I also want to see your art. Making cool scrapbooks? Wedding Invites (ahem, waiting...) I am anxious to see it! Wait.. scratch that. I don't want to see your art, because then 3baybchicks, and I'm Living Proof God Has a Sense of Humor and I can keep all the cool prizes to ourselves! Score!

Wendy’s idea was inspired by Jonathan B. Wright, the creator of the urban fairy locations in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The town hosts a
Wendy will even describe how…Step One: Buy a door.
I ordered mine online from miniatures.com. Don’t forget to check your local hobby store too.
Step Two:
To do so, I used small tweezers, which were
Step Three: {optional}I liked the idea of the door being flush with the wall, so I built out the molding on the back using a piece of balsa wood. I found the balsa wood at a hobby store. Be sure to bring the door with you when buying the wood because different styles require different depths. I purchased only one piece of wood {it was 24” long} and cut it to fit the top and two sides of the back of the door.
Step Four: {optional again}
Follow this step if you’d like to shore up the back. Cut your wood into three pieces – two for the sides & one for the top using a mini hand saw or x-acto knife. Glue the door with a little wood glue and clamp the pieces together using big binder clips. I like to have water and a paper towel handy in order to wipe down the excess glue that gets squeezed out.
Step Five:
If there is a window attached to your door, remove it and save to use as a template later. The window might be held to the door with a piece of tape. Rub off th
e excess adhesive with your finger. {I would not use solvent to take off the glue because I am not sure how it will react with the paint.}Step Six: Paint the door.
I used two brushes: a 3/4” wash brush and a 3/8” angle brush. I like my brushes squared off, but, if you prefer round brushes, then by all means, go to town. You should probably avoid using paintbrushes smaller than 3/8” because the larger the brush, the less likely you are to leave brush marks.
You also want your paint to be the consistency of heavy cream; it will look better with two lighter coats, rather than one heavy coat. For paint, I recommend acrylic. It’s water based and dries pretty quickly.
Now here is where you can go wild. The color choices are endless. {It is for a fairy after all.} You can even choose a color that compliments your home, which would make the door even more of a secret. I painted my door pretty mild, choosing a green door with a white frame.
If you have a one year old getting up from his nap while you are painting, like I do, a little piece of saran wrap over your paint will keep it moist until you are able to resume working. It is usually OK to leave the paint out for at least a day. An old yogurt cup can serve as an easy-to-use paint palette. You can also use that same yogurt cup as a water container.
Keep a pushpin close by while you are working, so you can keep the ‘nail’ holes clear.
Step Seven: Sand the door.
You can do this step earlier, but I feel like the first coat of paint seals the wood, so it is best to sand after the first coat of paint. Sand the door until it feels smooth. This step actually yielded a surprise for me. I liked the way the door looked distressed, so I didn’t paint another coat.
Step Eight: Paint the door again.
For one of the doors, I was done. However, I did not like my color choice for the other door, so I changed it a bit. The white frame took three coats of paint; the green door took only two.
Step Nine: Add details to your door using super glue and tweezers.
A doorknob, doorknocker, or house address would all do the trick. Online resources have kick plates if you have a fairy that likes to wear boots, or who always has stuff in her hands and can’t bother to close the door properly. {If you order doorknobs online, then pay attention to how many you are getting – most come in packs of two.}
Use the window as a template to cut a shape out of an old cardboard mailer, if needed. You can then glue a fun piece of fabric, a photo of a park, or another shade of your door color into the window opening. Again, have fun here. Depending on how precise you cut the insert, dab a little glue onto your window and slide it in.
Step Ten: Reinsert the door into the frame using the nails you saved. Put the top headless nail in first and then the bottom nail. And there you have it!
Find a spot in your house, maybe near your own front door, the back door, or up high on a shelf, and create some excitement with your kids. A little double stick tape or some wood glue will keep the door in place.
14 comments:
Can't wait! Sienna has agreed to let me post one of her original creation songs!!!
Reagan and her Daddy let me sleep in this morning, and when they came to wake me up at 9:30, she brought me a painting that she had been working on since 6:00AM. I immediately thought of you and I will try to post it tomorrow!
PS... Aren't you glad to know that you are one of the first things I think about when I wake up!?!?!?!?!
Let's hope they let me sleep that late again tomorrow for Mother's Day!
I love the "ahem, waiting..." with my link... I laughed out loud when I realized it was a link to my blog!
I promise to have pics up this week! Just wait - they are so cute! (If I do say so myself... and I do!)
If I had a working scanner, I'd totally do this. :(
I hope that you will give in to the peer pressure and do a vlog. You will find out that it is REALLY fun!
Thanks for stopping by The Fort! I have actualy been here a few times. Its been a while but I did want to tell you that I love the new look. I know its probably not new to you anymore, but its new to me.
Have a Happy Mothers Day!
Love and Prayers,
Tim
When I started reading your first post about this, I got the impression it was just for kids' art. I must not have been reading very carefully. Thanks for stopping by, I may just have to look through my photographs and pick some good ones out!
Happy Mother's Day!!
Will Mr. Linky be up all week or do we have to catch him on Monday??
I'm looking through the kids' masterpieces now. See you Monday.
Happy mother's day to you!
I can't wait to see the art that people display.
That fairy door is way too cute - what a creative path...
OH my goodness! That fairy door is darling!!! What a great conversation piece!
I love the fairy doors! I need to win one, because there is no way I am creative enough to make one!
OMG I LOVE THIS!
Post a Comment