10.12.2009

Paint Like a Pro

Over the last, oh 17 gallons of paint or so, that I've applied to our walls (pics coming SoOn! We are so close!) I've learned a few things. I will share some of my tips for you:

• I strongly believe in a 2-1 ratio of paint. 2 parts wall to 1 part self. This way, when a coworker asks you what colors you have chosen, you can show them one fingernail color/leftover arm streak for the accent wall, one for the main walls, and 2 of the 4 colors in the boys room. Much, much easier than trying to describe the colors.

• When you step into the paint tray? Make sure you walk on everything possible, to spread the love.

• When you take a hammer to pound the lid on the paint can? Make sure you do it right next to a newly painted kitchen wall. Dark turquoise splatters look great on your Au Liat Cafe walls. (also, quickly, quickly, proceed with cleanup before husband discovers your mess)

• Fall off the step ladder as many times as humanly possible. Then realize there is a valid reason the Wii Fit asks you if you bump into walls.

There you have it. Proceed painting and enjoy! I have only touch ups to do, and I am done! This week Corey is hanging the ceiling, next week the floor, then the cabinets! Yay!!

post signature

47 comments:

Simply Complex said...

Here's a tip from a pro-do-it-yourself-painter: put a little hand towel (rag) over the top of the paint can lid before you hammer it down. It contains the mess.

you'rewelcome

Simply Complex said...

And then I read the rest of your post only to find out that you are done painting. And, from the sounds of it, you won't have to paint again for a long, long time. So, I guess my advice was a little to late...

Kmama said...

Bwahahaha. I don't normally comment, but I just had to on this post. Too funny!! Doncha just love painting?

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

I always wonder why my Fit asks me if I bump into walls. Hahaha!!!

King J's Queen said...

Don't forget to get some accent colors in your hair. :-)

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! I have a award for you at:
http://twolittlemonkeysplushubby.blogspot.com/

Kristina P. said...

This is why I hire painters!

Jen said...

I am going to have to remember these tips for the next time I paint. Especially, the foot prints. ;)

Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} said...

i love the last one... i am cracking up!! i always thought that was a ridiculous question but i guess it makes sense in some circumstances haha

can't wait to see what color everything is {in pictures since i can't see it on your arm in person :)}

Liz Mays said...

You just effectively eliminated the possibility of anyone ever asking you to come over and help them paint. Well done!

Staci said...

Loving the comment about the Wii Fit :) Wanna come over and paint my bedroom for me???? You sound like you enjoy the job so much..HA!

Meeko Fabulous said...

These are all precisely the reason I'm not allowed to help paint! LOL! :)

erin said...

haha! ben is a painter and he'll come home from jobs and if i ask him about the color he'll show me a tiny splatter on his shirt! and don't worry... even the pros do stupid things... like when he accidentally spilled a gallon of paint on the carpet (oops!) and accidentally spilled lime green paint all over his whites and oh i'm sure there's more...!

i'll be sure to pass your tips onto him! :-)

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I love your tips. I had to laugh at them all, because I went through the same thing when we repainted our kitchen!

honeypiehorse said...

I've been painting too - used up 4 liters of white just painting over my mistakes so I could try again!

~*Michelle*~ said...

How dare you tempt us with Au Lait Cafe and dark turquoise and not sneak it a photo for a peek at your project. Those colors are screaming my name! Can't wait to see. :)

Theta Mom said...

My husband doesn't let me do any painting, probably because of the reasons you listed! LOL

Kaci said...

I never ever want to paint...I need to re-paint my walls...but I dont wanna!

Kameron said...

These tips will come in handy in the next couple of weeks....if I can get my hubby motivated to get baby girl's room started! Argh!

Trish said...

I feel your pain my lil blog buddy!

I painted our ENTIRE new construction....yes, I have been evaluated by professional and am cerified INSANE!!!!!

But really it is more than I am a tight wad and think that no one will be able to do the job well enough to suit me....so......I did it myself! Oh, and did I mention I also stained the staircase....do you know how sticky that crap gets....what a mess!!!!!

Anyway, can't wait to see your finished product and the fruits of your labor :O)

Unknown said...

LOL! Love the 2:1 ratio theory!

Ace said...

Ah, such good memories. I can't wait to paint! Or have a house to call our own again to paint!

Furry Bottoms said...

We are soooo close to finishing up with the painting portion of the house too!!! And in two weeks, new hardwood floors, yay! I can't wait to compare pictures with you.

Anonymous said...

You're so funny. That's why I let Adam do all the painting.

Can't wait to see pics!

Nicole said...

Painting is sooo difficult! I'm sure you did a wonderful job:) My apt pre husband had all these funny marks from the paint on the ceiling, I didn't know about taping first!

Annsterw said...

Glad to hear others have the same "issues" when painting...actually glad to hear others are doing the painting themselves too! I love painting - it is sooo relaxing - just have to save certain clothes just for that! LOL Thanks for the entertaining post - I cant wait to see the pics!

Barbaloot said...

Wow-if I hadn't been dying to paint before, I sure am now:)

Unknown said...

hilarious...yet, so true!!

{painting + me = disaster waiting to happen}

i can't wait to see everything...i know you will be glad to be ALL done :o)

Tracie said...

And because I do all these things and more when painting, Hubs will not let me paint.

Anonymous said...

This cracked me up! I do ALL the painting in my house and I always wear too much of it. My paint outfit shows every color I've ever painted a room. I can't wait to see your pictures. SO exciting!

-FringeGirl

Loukia said...

Oh boy! All very good reasons why I would never attempt to paint myself! I would be just like you... and much worse, too! :)

supahmommy- somethin's wrong with that girl said...

lol- i pay people to paint now..
lol

it looks like i've rolled in it when i'm done.

thanks for the visits.
xxoxo supah

and running.. i saw your spazzy runnin blog..
i envy you.. you GO! someday when i'm not fat .. i too willl run my first marathon..
i said

some. day.

The Stiffs said...

This is why I'm not allowed to paint in our house. Just get a little worse and you'll never have to pick up a brush again.

Foursons said...

I am a terrible painter. I paint, do touch-ups. Then have to touch-up the touch-ups. It goes on forever- I never actually finish. I just eventually give up.

Counselormama said...

Oh man, we did this seven years ago and it still feels like yesterday, and yeah I remember my thoughts about painting before and after were very different, I had paint on me for a like a week. And, yeah, I think everything you mentioned happened to me too!

Anonymous said...

I ruined my favorite jeans one time, but let me tell you I don't know what got into me why in the world was I wearing those jeans while painting? Well I still can't anwer that but I still have them and still wear them, they have this mauve stain on the right upper thigh area, oh well..can't wait to see how it looks:)

Mrs. M said...

Good ideas! My idea is let your husband do it all for you! ;-)

Stephanie said...

LOL Best paint like a pro tips ever!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

That precisely why the hubs is responsible for all painting. My nickname is Grace. I think that says it all. Ah ha

Helene said...

I've learned some of those things too when we painted our house just a couple months ago. Some serious hard lessons to learn but at least the house will look great once it's all done!

dawnmramsey said...

ha! I can relate. Especially, putting my foot into the paint tray. My best secret for painting mishaps? Windex takes paint out of the carpet! :)

AiringMyLaundry said...

I think if we ever need to paint that we might just hire someone.

I'm not sure if I'd have the patience for painting.

E @ Scottsville said...

Congrats Sara!!!! I can't wait to see pictures!

Jessica said...

Cannot wait for pictures!! What an amazing accomplishment.

Moore Minutes said...

Lol, you're so funny! Fun to see the REVEAL though. I'm too impatient to be a good painter.

Also, thank you SO much for commenting on my dolce vita featured post! I truly DO appreciate it. You have such a fun blog here too...I'm enjoying it.

Holly said...

"2 parts wall to 1 part self." You crack me up! Painting is an adventure.

Charisse said...

You are getting so so so close. You can make it through this last part. Really.

Thx for the tips. Maybe you should have posted these on NMM?!?!? hehe