2.19.2010

The Tires

I won't lie, I am still recovering. The plane had some turbulence on the way home and I compressed my sciatic nerve, so it has been pretty painful all week. I haven't been able to work out at all, which is never good for me.
I have more Mexico stories, but the pics that go with them are on my computer at home, so I will have to get to that computer first.
In the meantime? I was remembering a time back in college- our sophomore year. Corey and I were still considered underdogs, and had to park in the parking lot about 4522 miles away from the campus. Up a big hill. In the winter.
Yes, there was a bus we could take, but oh no, Corey thought it was better to just walk the 34522 miles. Up a mountain. Every day.
One day, as we were trekking back to our truck (we had a little Chevy S-10 at the time) we noticed that there were a several police cars at the bottom of the lot where we were parked. It was hard to see at first, because they looked like peas from the distance we were away. (We were still at the top of the mountain.)
As we got closer, we saw that the police cars were right where we were parked.
We looked at each other.
Looked back.
Sure enough, they were all surrounding our vehicle.
As we got closer, we saw why.

There were no tires or rims on our truck. Just 2 blocks of wood holding up the front and a jack on one of the back wheels.

Apparently, someone had come and stolen our tires, rims and even our lug nuts, while we were in class.

Seriously. I actually got the giggles at one point, seeing our truck sitting there with no tires or anything. It looked so darn ridiculous.

The best part (no, not the fact that they never caught them and we were responsible for the $1,000 deductible as poor college students)?

We had it sitting in the parking lot of our apartment building while we worked with the insurance company to get new tires. About a week after it happened, we got the following letter.

Dear Corey and Sara,

Please have your vehicle either fixed or removed from the parking lot by the end of the week. It is an eyesore for fellow residents and visitors.

Sincerely,

Management of the cruddy, gross apartment building we were in at the time, which had WAY worse vehicles than ours, and had cops there every single night anyway.

Looking back now? It makes a funny story. Core still doesn't laugh though.
post signature

43 comments:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Oh geesh. That sounds WAY too painful. I hope you recover soon lady!

Kaci said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!! Oh dear! That sucks!

Kristina P. said...

That is crazy!!!

Barbaloot said...

If nothing else-that ought to teach colleges that they need to have better parking for their students! Parking at my college was the worst experience ever:)

Anonymous said...

Good luck recovering from a sciatic nerve pain.

It sucks getting ripped off like woth you tires too, I know the feeling. When I was a kid I got home from school to a house where the fron door was broken into and we had been robbed, horrible.

Secretia

Doc said...

One mans eyesore is another mans transportation... or something like that

Kelli said...

I love the 'looking back funny stories.' They always suck at the time, but those are the moments we will always remember!

Tara said...

Oh, I sure wish you had pictures of the wheel-less, tire-less and lug nut-less truck. I would have been ill just from having to deal with an insurance company. Poor Corey but funny story for us.

{Kimber} said...

wow!! were ya'll ballin' some fine rims on the S-10 or what?!!

hope your hiney bone feels better!

Mrs. B said...

I couldn't help but laugh at this. When I was in college, the commuter parking lot was the same as yours. It was awful. The students who lived on campus weren't supposed to park there, but, of course, they were all lazy and parked there anyway. It was awful trying to find a spot!

Vanessa said...

Hope you feel better soon! And our HOA sent us a welcome letter the very same day they sent us a 'warning' about staining on our driveway -- AFTER we had cleared out the JUNGLE that the previous people called 'landscaping'. I don't think The Husband will ever laugh about that either...

Ace said...

How funny!

Meeko Fabulous said...

Apartment managers can be such arseholes. Because, yea, you totally want your car sitting there with no tires. Dumb asses. One of my old land lords refused to talk to my ex roomie because she was white. Ridiculous, right? She loved me because I was Latino.

The Four Week Vegan said...

Ouch for your back. Hope it feels better soon. We live down the street from a university and kids choose to park on our street which is 34500 miles away from campus because a semester of parking is like 10 trillion dollars - I think it is really $200 - this are college kids, I think they would rather trudge 90,547 miles than pay that for parking - they have real expenses like kegs and stylish rims.

Foursons said...

Nice, very nice. So glad that the good guys won at that one. *rolling eyes*

You should totally link this up next Tuesday at Once Upon a Miracle for their True Story Tuesdays.

http://www.onceuponamiracle.com/

Amber Page Writes said...

Yes, that's the kind of thing that's only really funny in retrospect...but now? It's hilarious.

Anonymous said...

That is a funny story. My favorite part? The letter from the management company.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Amy said...

Oh that must have been a sight to see. I am not sure what I would have done. I think Cry. I would have been like what ever to the apartment people.. Thanks for sharing..

Kmama said...

That reminds me of the Chevy Chase vacation movie when he got his tires stolen as they were asking for directions. FUNNY!

Corrina said...

Hope your sciatica gets better soon. I think that's a pretty funny story!

Mrs. M said...

Wish you had been able to get a picture of that!

Margaret said...

I can't help but laugh because you only see things like that in the movies anymore.

peewee said...

Oh man...if I got a letter like that I would have PROMPTLY spent $100 for a Yugo with dice in the window and playboy flaps and left it there FOREVER.

Also....those are some pretty bold and energetic thieves. WHy not take the whole car??

Meg said...

That's an awesome story. I am sorry you are not feeling well after that plane ride. Hopefully you will be able to work out again soon. :)

Love the pictures from your last post, it looks beautiful. I want to go there, must be a nice change from all that snow.

KK said...

Laugh or cry, right?

LBDDiaries said...

I'm like you - I would have laughed although it was awful! Seeing the funny side keeps you from going nutz! Can't believe the apt complex did that - nervy huh! Did you respond?

Holly Lefevre said...

That is just adding insult to injury.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Wow that stinks but makes a good story now.

Pres. Kathy said...

That is CRAZY!

Miller Racing Family said...

That is a great story. We had a killer hill at our college, so I know your pain.
Love the little note that was left for you, it cracked me up.
I also wanted to let you know I have a little bit of sunshine waiting at my blog for you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

What a horrible story! Our car was broken into 3 times while we were in college- I hated it!!

Visiting from Miller Racing Family! Cute blog!

~Becca

Stephanie said...

LOL Men never laugh when their cars get hurt.
Hope you feel better soon!

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

What a horrible story. I'm glad you can laugh about it. Hope you feel better soon!

Jessica said...

That is SO awful in a kind of funny way. Funny- not so much- but sometimes the situations can be so ridic that all you can do is laugh!! (Good for you :))

I hope you are able to work out soon... I know how that is and it SUCKS.

Missed your blog! I've been off the radar for a bit :)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Hey sweets, I just wanted to make sure you get my email about your giveaway win. The vendor thought that you would be contacting them and we thought they would be contacting you. Ahhhhh. Anyhoo, I emailed you the coupon code for your $40 off. Let me know if you didn't get it!

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

I can' tell you how many times lately, when I've been going through a bad situation like this story you've described, that my first thought is always, "Well, at least it'll make a good story for my blog!!"

Just wanted to thank you for stopping by and visiting (and commenting on!) my blog, I really appreciate it! I'm your newest follower!

More Than Words said...

Oh my gosh! People are so nervy, huh? LOL.

Betty Manousos said...

I admire you, Sara. You can laugh about a terrible story! How awesome is that!.
Betty xx

Claudya Martinez said...

I laughed, but I wouldn't have laughed if it happened to me.

honeypiehorse said...

THat letter actually makes me angry at people.

Tracie said...

It is a funny story. I think all college stories are. I never had my tires stolen but my apartment was robbed once. I keep meaning to blog about it but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Guacaholic said...

So. Obviously I know the lot you wrote about. I commisserate over the walking. Pleasant downhill at the end of the day, not so great when you're running late to class walking uphill super fast.

I had meant to comment on this when you posted but was reminded that I didn't when I walked to the lot from Stewart Hall today. I got 15 mins worth of Vitamin D and the 2PM shuttle bus only beat me by 2 minutes.

Anyway, the lot. Didn't campus security patrol it back then? How on earth did a thief manage to steal everything - with the truck clearly jacked up - without anyone noticing? Doooooood.