1.19.2011

Only Me Story #1,427


Well, I hadn't planned on sharing my latest with everyone, where the documentation of my insanity could be filed away and referenced forever, but thought, what the heck? Anyone who knows me knows I have no dignity anyway. Why pretend?

Now, keep in mind...laughing is not a nice thing to do to people who have experienced pain....

I have never used one of these before:
(It's a roasting pan/oven thing, I think it is like a portable oven or something, but without the convection and top and bottom elements.)

Anyway, I had 2 huge hams to make, and thought it would be nice to roast them together. I was sending one to my parents, and one to my husband's work with him.
(we don't eat a lot of ham, mostly because it is ham, and I heard this horror story about what the ER rooms look like after Easter, and it freaked me out. Don't point out that I am giving it to my husband's employees and parents though. I mean, I wish them no harm, I just don't want gut death.)

So, I borrow the roaster oven from my dad. Then I realize I don't know how to use it.
I throw the 2 huge hams in, dump a little water on them, and call it good. Then, I notice it has a bottom part. I lift the top part of it out, and it looks like I need to put water in the bottom. I have no idea how much, or anything, so I call my mom she promptly hands the phone over to my dad.

Dad tells me to put about a cup of water in the bottom, so I pour 3 cups down there. (better safe, besides, it didn't look like much) I drop the top part of the roaster back in (with HEAVY HAMS), and the water gushes everywhere. fine, dad was right.

After spending 5 minutes cleaning that mess up, I was ready to go again. I pick up the heavy pan, and DROP it into the bottom.

Who? Who! Would have predicted, that as I leaned over the roaster to drop the heavy pans in, a certain braless in a light tshirt leaning over the counter, part of my body would be come pinched - yes BOTH OF THEM- between the pan and the roaster. That's right.

I'm better today, but it pretty much hurt all afternoon. See? This is why I don't cook.

post signature

64 comments:

Annsterw said...

Hillarious - thank you for sharing that - it makes me see that I am NOT alone in my life bloopers!! Not just you - LOL - I could definitely see me pulling that off also!

Jenny said...

OUCH! I hope your okay!

(Thanks for the laugh though!)

"Cookie" said...

OH MY WORD! I'm amazed at times things you get into. Thanks for the laugh.... and NOW, I really do get why you don't cook! Hope the "girls" are ok.

Kelli said...

I love you. You're awesome.
Stay away from the grill.

Meg said...

Haha, sorry to laugh. I am so klutzy--I understand.

Kristina P. said...

Awesome! It was like a holiday mammogram!

Anonymous said...

Anybody that would make me hams for dinner would own my heart...

I still looking for such bounty


wonderful hammy story

Jen said...

LOL! I just love your 'only you' stories. :)

Unknown said...

hahaha!
i'm not a cook, too!
especially large meats like ham, i will not attepmt to because i know i will be disaster after.

alison said...

i'm sorry, but i'm laughing my head off right now!!!

and THAT is why i don't cook. ;)

Kirsten said...

Uhm...ouch? And *snort*. And most definitely ouch again.

Jenn said...

Aw, you had a hammy mammy. :)

Val said...

Haha, I have never used one of those pans!!! Now, I will live in fear every time I see one. bahahahaha

Mrs. Bee said...

So glad you decided to post this.. then as I was reading this I read this line:

"Don't point out that I am giving it to my husband's employees and parents though. I mean, I wish them no harm"

And I thought to myself "I mean, I wish them no HAM" hahahahaha!!!!!!! I am so hilarious!!! Don't you agree?!

Di said...

Oh my word. I didn't even think that was possible. I will never look at a roaster the same way. Stick with crock pots - they are a safer choice for you! :)

Jen said...

Oh goodness. I am glad you are okay and I thank you for sharing that. Btw, I love to cook and have never used one of those either.

Kayla said...

I'm sorry that my laughter comes at the expense of your "girls". Funny story though - I'm glad you shared it!

bobbi said...

HAHAHAHAHA!! Sorry, but you seriously just MADE. MY. DAY.

Rita Templeton said...

Classic! I know it's embarrassing, but I'm so glad you shared. :)

Loukia said...

Oh my gosh! You are just like me! I'm so clueless in the kitchen. I thought a neti pot was the new way to call crock pot!

The Stiffs said...

I hope for my sake that I'm laughing with you and not at you. I wish you lived next door. I would totally cook your ham for you.

susan said...

i <3 you. you make me smile!

i hope the girls are better today. :)

Kristy said...

NO WAY! And I hadn't heard the ER horror stories after Easter either...hmmm

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

BWAHAHA!!!!! I don't mean to laugh, but HAHAHA!!!!!! That is awesome. I swear, only you could do something like that. :)

Ace said...

Hahahaha! I don't blame you!

Kmama said...

OMG! That is just too hilarious!! If that happened to me, I would give up cooking for good!

Betty Manousos said...

LOL! I'm sorry but that is hilarious!
I am now sweeping coffee from my lap top screen and it's all your fault!

B xx

Sarah Jane said...

LOL! I hope you're joking. Hilarious!

Jill said...

now you have an excuse not to cook dinner!!

Amy said...

Oh my gosh that is something I would so do. I am not a cook either.. I hope all is better today.. Have a great day..

Liz Mays said...

That's way too much catastrophe for one person! Ouchie!

Foursons said...

Bwhahahahahahaha! Are they healed yet?

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Oh, that is just hilarious...and painful!!!

Mrs. M said...

Now that is laugh out loud hilarious! But part of me is feeling for your pain (but only a little part). :)

King J's Queen said...

I promise, I didn't laugh. I can't help that I smiled a bit while chewing on my lower lip to stifle the giggle, though. Ouch! That had to hurt. Glad you are better now. I expected you to say that the water got hot super fast and you were burned, so this is actually a lot better.

Just think, in a few years, you'll be getting mammograms and will be paying good money to have someone squish them like that.

Barbaloot said...

Ow!
Oh, and also, there's this new thing called the internet where you can look up instructions and stuff that you don't know. You should try it:)

Anonymous said...

Bwahahaha!!!

I've always wanted to get one of those ovens for the holidays. Now that I know how dangerous they are I'll keep on making do without one.

AiringMyLaundry said...

Ouchie!!

That's why I hate cooking too. It's an evil practice!

Laura Marchant said...

Oh em gee! ouch!

Missy said...

LOL! Sorry, but it is funny!

Sarah said...

Ouch! And what are the odds of that happening?!

Cool Gal said...

Bwahahah...Sorry I have to laugh! The boob part of the story is hilarious and so is the fact that you don't know how to operate a roaster. LOL!

I'll make you feel better in regards to your boobies.

While shaving my armpits the other day, I "nicked" my right nipple with the razor while reaching for my right armpit. Had to wear a band aid for 2 days. Yep, and it's not like they stick out either. Sheesh...

TheBabyMammaChronicles said...

Oh no! That sounds like something that would happen to me!

Lady Mama said...

Oh NO! I would ditch it and opt for take-out instead. Much safer.

Ameena said...

Oh this sounds...painful! If it's any consolation I have no clue what to do with a roasting pan or a ham. Or any type of meat for that matter!

Jo said...

I am still cringing!!

Kaci said...

Owie owie!!

Emma said...

Oh hunny I'm sorry that I'm actually laughing my ass off!!! Also exactly the reason I don't cook!!! xx

Meghan said...

Nooo! Oh my gosh! Ouch, but a great story! I don't cook at ALL so it sounds like something I would do!

Anonymous said...

lmao!! Ouchie!! Oh my gosh. Sorry, but that is just too damn funny. lol

honeypiehorse said...

You roasted your girls? You poor thing!

Stephanie said...

LOL OHHHH NOOOO I actually slapped my hand over my face while I was reading this!!
Hope the bits and pieces feel better today:)

PS You are fabulous:)

Unknown said...

I can't begin to explain the pain you just shot through me! OUCH!

The Mother said...

Gives mammograms a new spin, doesn't it?

Kristin said...

I'm right there with ya sister....don't get me near anything with a heating mechanism in the kitchen. One word: disaster.

Wanted to let you know I left you something at: http://kristinfunston.com/blog/awards/

In case you're into that kind of blog-errific type stuff.

Have a fabulous Saturday! :-)

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Ouch! I'd call it a day at the point.

Sarah MP said...

I always prefer my ham with a side of boobs!

Nicole said...

lol oh no!!! that was funny to read although I'm sure it didn't feel funny! I hope you're feeling better!

Holly said...

Oh girly! If that was me, I'd swear off ham forever! Cooking too.

Hope you're OK.

Cheeseboy said...

Oh man. I've had the exact same thing happen to my boobs.

Amy said...

just checking in.. Hello..

heidi said...

Helpful hint from Sara. LOL I'm telling you! There are so many unreported boobie accidents in the kitchen! Did you see I burned mine making popcorn? WTH?! LOL

mypixieblog said...

LMAO!!! OMG, girl... I am SO SORRY to laugh at your pain, but you have to admit: it does make for a good story ;) Glad you are on the mend though!

Rachel said...

ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch!