1.09.2011

Statistically Speaking, as it Relates to Being a Spaz

I am not a huge statistic person. That is a lie. I love the thought of statistics. It makes my heart go bump bump bump to see a good graph (I get all warm and fuzzy inside) with it's numbers and percentages...ahhh.

However, I am a bit of a skeptic on studies with statistics. In order for me to believe a statistic, poll, percentage, I want to see the study. Did you stand in an aisle next to the peanut butter and ask those picking out peanut butter if they like peanut butter? Then say 100% of people polled like peanut butter? My favorites are when they poll 106.456 people and announce, "Polls show that 67% of Americans are in favor of (insert whatever here.)" Really? 106 people? What a great representation of all Americans.

(Of course, I do understand that there has to be a cut off, I mean, you cannot poll the entire United States on every issue, study, ect. I am just saying I would like to see how the size and scope of the study is determined, so I can make an informed opinion on it's validity.)

Uh, moving on. So, statistically speaking, my chances of being killed by an axemurderer* are low. (Fine, I couldn't even find a statistic on it.) I did find this bit of info:

There are no specific stats available for death by serial killer. However,the USA has 76% of the world's serial killers.



Nice. I declined to dig deeper into this statistic, as when I googled serialkillers, my anxiety levels soared.

(Yes, I sorta do have a point with all of this...wait...it's coming...) The other night, I heard a noise from the kitchen. At night. In the darkness. It was an intermittent sound, with no discernible pattern. After listening for a period of 5 minutes, I woke up Corey.

"Do you hear that sound? There is something in the kitchen."

"I hear nothing." Rolls over.

"Well, I do."

"Maybe we have a mouse." he replies.

"Uh, it that is a mouse making those sounds, we better make sure it isn't a giant mutant of some sort."

....nothing....

"You are really going to make me go out there and check it out by myself? Chancing a certain death by axe?"

....nothing....

Bravely, I take my iphone and a water bottle and head to the kitchen. Peeking around the corner I see... my cat, sitting on the table, dipping her paw into a glass of water Elijah left sitting on the table.

I rush back to bed and assure Corey I am still alive. He's all, "See? There was not axemurderer waiting to off you. Go to bed."

Now, statistically speaking, my chances of it being an axemurderer were low. However...as I tried to fall asleep, I couldn't help but wonder. If our chances of being offed by a serialkiller are low, doesn't each time we hear a strange noise-where it is NOT a killer- actually increase our odds that the next time it will be?

post signature

*Remember? I now put axemurderer and serialkiller as one word, believing this will help save me from having them google their name and find my blog.

48 comments:

Kristina P. said...

What about a one time killer? They could get you too.

Sara said...

I want to thank you for all the help you lend to my increasing insomnia. Seriously. Thank you.

Sarah said...

I'm not crazy about that 76% of serial killers living in the US...

Barbaloot said...

Who did the poll saying 76% of the serialkillers lived in the US? How do they know? Did they ask people if that's what they are? Maybe there are more in China, but their population is greater so it's hard to tell.

Kristy said...

Loooove it! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm going to get some Ambien and an alarm system now. :)

Kelli said...

OK, I took several statistics classes in college and I distinctly remember that in order to have statistical significance, your survey must have no less than 31 participants. But I totally agree, I hate when I see (what I think is a low number) and a result that I disagree with. How can you ask 100, or 200, or even 300 people and get an accurate representation of the whole? I know I learned how it all works, I just don't believe it.

TheBabyMammaChronicles said...

You are hillarious. Glad you are safe brave girl :)

Lindsay said...

:) You rock

Anonymous said...

I would have kicked my husband until he got up and checked, no way would I go down there by myself lol. You are too funny!

Lady Mama said...

Statistically... oh forget it, I'm lousy with numbers. I agree with you about the studies that claim all sorts of things, and often are based on a relatively small sample that doesn't represent anything...

Teachinfourth said...

Wait, was it chunky or smooth peanut butter? You know that that makes the biggest difference, right?

Jesse {GoodGirlGoneGlad} said...

That's exactly why I can't watch scary shows! I'm a chicken and then I start hearing things! I'd rather not know they are coming to get me. =) lol

Erin said...

I think I love everything about everything you write. Can I have your autograph? :)

Liz Mays said...

You think too much. Go to bed! ;)

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

Well, now my brain hurts from all that information. :) Thank you for enlightening me with all this. :)

Anonymous said...

you bring up a good point, but miss the fact that we grow in numbers each day and get more evil too... so does that rasie the %?

I think so...

Unknown said...

hi! it's ok to be like this. we can never tell what will happen right?

anyway, I've nominated you for an ward in my blog.

Maude Lynn said...

This makes a strange and scary sort of sense!

Furry Bottoms said...

ha ha ha, I'm sorry but stastics and I aren't friends. Nope. They give me headaches!!! But the cat dipping her paw in the glass of water? LOVE IT! My cat used to do that all.the.time. Oh, I miss him so much.

Oh yeah, and I totally am glad there wasn't an axe murderer lurking around the house waiting for you! So your chances of that happening were very low, yes. If I understood the whole statistics thing.

John@baby shoes said...

Look on the bright side. Maybe you have 76% of serial killers because you catch them. How many are there in 3rd world countries where they don't have the infasrtucture in place to recognise that they've even got them!

Kaci said...

Spaz

Val said...

Oh my goodness, My brain is really thinking...lol

NIKOL said...

67% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Tara said...

I prefer thinking about statistics involving peanut butter instead of serial killers/axe murderers.

Amy said...

Sara you are the best at bringing a laugh and smile to my face..

I hope you stop by tomorrow I have a giveaway going on..

Jenny said...

You are 100% hilarious!!!

Sarah MP said...

Personally, I would rather have it been an axemurdered than a cat. Cats freak me out.

Kitchen Belleicious said...

You are hilarious, When i need a good laugh I just come a knocking on your door! I am with Tara on statistics involving anything but an axemurder!

Hey- got a great giveaway this week!

Michelle said...

I hate that part of hubby traveling! I hear all kinds of noises and then can't get back to sleep. Never turns out to be anything but one of these times it might ;-)

Ameena said...

I take any and all stats with a grain of salt. Especially when the poll is conducted by CNN - if they can't even spell things right I have little faith they can do their math correctly!

Betty Manousos said...

LOL!
OMG certain death by axe?
Now I'm hearing a noise in the basement.

Mrs. M said...

Never ever google stats on anything involving axes, murderers, or serial!

Amy said...

Thanks for entering my giveaway.. Good luck..

Missy said...

What was the water for? In case the serial killer was on fire? LOL

Cheeseboy said...

Brilliant way to find your own blog.

I am a stat geek too, which is strange because I am actually not too fond of math.

I am a sceptic too because a graph on FOX News can look entirely different than the same graph on MSNBC.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Not good things to think about when trying to fall asleep.

Kayla said...

Thanks for making me laugh...I LOVE your stories!

Anonymous said...

I wonder what the statistic is for how many ppl cannot pronounce statistic like myself. This is the only word I cannot master no matter how much I practice.

Miller Racing Family said...

What a scream. I totally do the same thing with Donnie.
The thing he hates the most is when I say did I blow out the candles or did I turn off the stove. He hates to get out of bed to check that.
Thanks for the laugh and I hope all is well with you!

bohomamasoul said...

I think 100% of that 76% live in Florida, so you're good. I, on the other hand, may be offed before we even get to move to Portland this year. So that sucks.

The Mother said...

But since, statistically, the average person in America has one ovary and one testicle, the axe murderer really doesn't know who to go after.

Anonymous said...

OK, Im still trying to figure out what you were gonna do with the water bottle?? Squirt him? Give him a mini shower? lol

Next time at least take a baseball bat. =)

Brynn said...

was the water bottle filled with acid?
remember that friends episode where brooke shields was a crazy stalker and when she showed up at joey and chandler's, chandler grabbed the dish soap and made sure it was open? lol.
i am the queen of making danny investigate strange noises.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

You are not alone in your spazzzzzzzz(ness). I wake up the hubs and make him go investigate noises on the regular!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Well, thank you for making me worry more. I really needed that. Oh well, I still love you. And, yes, those statistics drive me crazy, too!

Kameron said...

Great idea with the all one word thing! The murders of all kinds will be sad that you don't come up when they Google! lol

Loukia said...

Ha! Too funny! Trust me, you have NOTHING to worry about. Just don't watch Criminal Minds before going to bed! ;)