
BlueViolet just wrote a post talking about losing her wallet. At the end, she innocently asked, "Have you ever lost your wallet?"
I'm thinking to myself, "You mean this week? No, it is only Monday, give me another day or so."
Because, really? Being ADHD, I lose things a lot.
The last time I lost my wallet was...oh yes, last Friday. I was headed to St. Paul to visit one of my students who was in the hospital. I left later than I'd hoped, and still needed to stop to buy him a gift. About 30 minutes into the drive- on the freeway of course- my car suddenly slowed down, the dash said, "Engine power has been reduced" and I could not accelerate. I pulled off and tried to call Corey. No answer, so I tried my dad. No answer. Seventeen phone calls later, I get my dad.
(Who freaks out, is sure the car is going to blow. I make a mental note to do some deep reflection of where I get my catastrophe flair from.)
He is all like, "Do you know how to check the oil?"
"Yes, dad, I do"
LLLLOOOONNNGGG silence
"You do?"
#*^##%@!! (Really, he would have been better to ask if I know how to open the hood. Seriously, it took me longer to figure that out then to check the oil.)
Oil is fine, so I decide to proceed. After all, visiting hours end soon, and I need to get there. I had just put gas in, so I was thinking it might have to do with the gas cover or something, rather than a true malfunction.)
I stop at Target for a gift get distracted by shiny things and am running even later. I finally get down there. My student is playing Wii when I knock on his room door. He sees me? Drops the remote and pretends to fall asleep. (Yes, that is a compliment in my book. Hey, I even offered to do some fun math problems with him.)
Headed home at 9 p.m., I am in the EXACT same spot, on the other side of the freeway, when my car does the same thing. Most likely this is a Bermuda Triangle type of spot on the road or something. Ignoring it, I continue on my way.
Stopping at a gas station for one of these:

(I know. I know these are not really even a food, but more of a chemical concoction. It doesn't help. I love them. They are like sugar heaven kill me now addiction)
However, I can't pay, because I have no wallet. I rip my car apart looking for it. I search the gas station, call the mother of my student to see if I left it there. Nothing.
Finally, I call Target and ask. Yep, it's there. Another 20 minutes BACK towards St. Paul, at 9:35 p.m., they close at 10:00,my car is acting fine, but the engine light is still on. Let's go.
I pull in at 9:54 p.m, and go to get it. The lady looks at the wallet, asks me to describe it, "Uh, we are both sitting here looking at it, are we not?"
She opens it, looks at my ID, and suspiciously at me. Yes, yes I did lie on my weight. I will till the end too, so there.
"Hmmm...," she says, "doesn't seem to be any money in here. A lot of cards though."
Really? Thanks. That was so kind of you to analyze my wallet. (Besides, I don't have a single credit card to my name- sad, I know- it was all the other dumb cards I have.)
I kindly took my wallet, and proceeded home. My car made it, I learned a lesson, and have not lost my wallet in a week. (Don't ask about my handbag, phone or anything else though. I'm also pretty stellar at not losing my kids.)
(Was this what you meant when you asked BlueViolet? I tend to ramble sometimes. Justabit)

41 comments:
I'm so OCD that my wallet, keys etc are always in the EXACT same spot. If, for some reason, I can't seem to find them where they belong I don't have the first clue where to look cuz I only ever put them in one place.
I just have to say that I love those Lucky Charms Treats, too! Yuuum!
I just shared on her blog that I left my wallet on top of my car after pumping gas.
My wallet apparently flew off the roof and was in the street, after everything inside flew out. I got a call an hour later from a good Samaritan who found it and tried to gather all the things. I was so glad!
I once left my wallet at the Starbucks counter IN Target. I guess once I saw them start making my drink all logical parts of my brain shutdown and started screaming "STARBUCKS!"
I never have thank goodness, but have found many wallets and purses when I was a customer service manager in retail. I had to go through them to find the owners, but hated doing this.
I read that post also. I think I lose my phone a 100 times a day. Sorry you lost your wallet. Have a great day!
WOW!!!! Scary! I would LOSE it totally if I lost my wallet - honestly, I am OCD and check for it's location constantly...not sure which of us is worse :-)
I am definitely going to try your sugary treat - those look GOOD!!!!!!
Congrats on the stellar effort not losing your children!
I love Blue Violet! She really gets you going doesn't she?
Your experience sounds like my weekend! The best thing you can say about that day is that it is over!
I'm glad you found your wallet.
One time I left a bag full of new purchases on a bench in the mall.
(Ok, actually I did it twice.)
I think I might have ADD, too.
lol Ive lost LOTS of things! Once I lost my purse which just happened to have $600 cash in it. I was freaking out! Amazingly the workers at the fast food resaurant where I left it didnt steal my money.
First things first, if youncould let me know the location of said vehicular Bermuda Triangle so I can avoid it, that'd be great. Second - I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have had someone chasing me out of a store saying, "Miss! You've forgotten your _______!"
Dude! What a night! So what's wrong with your car?
I'm not gonna answer that question. Cuz if I do, something bad will happen. I'm just gonna nod and smile at your post. :) But you did seem rather calm, I'd be FREAKING out.
Nice recovery! I would have flipped out if I had lost my wallet/purse!
Sooo, what was wrong with your car? Mine did the same thing last month! The engine light went off after we let the tank of gas go all the way down so the fuel light came on, we added some fuel injector cleaner(yea I don't know what it is and don't want to) and refilled and BAM, the stuid light went off. Bad gas apparently. (why am blabbering about my car..geesh?)
How's your student doing?
Hope all is well with you!
Yes, NOT losing the kids is definitely the most important :) However our 2 yr old did, in fact, disappear in the middle of the night....He was UNDER his bed {shrugs}
Oh man, I hate losing my wallet, or even thinking I might have. You get that panicked feeling!
I never lose my wallet, but I do lose my keys a lot. Lately I have also picked up the habit of walking out of stores without whatever I just purchased.
I have something for you. If you want to play along go here: http://notaboutcake.blogspot.com/2011/02/7-facts.html
Boy are you and I two of a kind lady!
My car did that 'lose power' crapola once--the weirdest darn thing ever. I thought it was some bizarre OnStar BS.
Glad you at least found the wallet!
yeah.... wow that was a wild adventure you were on. I can see on a wild horse riding across the burning sands with out watrer.. oh wait or was it I could see you... oh wait again, hmmmm
maybe I could just see you not losing those kids, do you tie them together with rope? I dont like it we\hen mothers do that, do you?
This very nearly caused a Target rant. I love shopping there, but each time I just pray I don't have any cause to need customer service because theirs is terrible.
My big thing isn't so much losing my wallet as it is locking my keys in my car. Sigh.
Are you seriously this much of a scatterbrain? Rhetorical, I know.
I'm just glad you got it back. But girl, fix yourself. ;)
I love the titles of your posts. Don't worry, I have done that thing - or something similar at least - a dozen times.
LOL!!! Nice to know how observant the Target lady was!
see this is where you have me beat by a mile. i regularly lose my wallet, my keys AND my kid.
you overachiever. =) xo
You and I are so much alike :) I lose my wristlet that serves as my wallet on a weekly basis. It's a standing joke at work because I am forever leaving it in someone's car. Hope all is well with your car. Mine just got a $2k facelift...$#&*^#$
I am on a mission to find those Lucky Charms bars tomorrow...my kids would be in Heaven with one of those!
Hope the rest of your week is fabulous! xoxo, Kelly
My mom always laughs at me when the kids and I go to her house. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. we leave to come home I have ended up forgetting something at her house. My response to her is, "Well, if I have all 4 kids then I'm doing good :)"
Maybe my husband has ADHD! He loses his wallet, credit cards, keys, hats or anything else that it not permanently fixed in one spot! Glad ou found it and I hope your car is ok. I hate car issues. Although I did that whole check engine, took it to the deal thing. Turns out I had not put my gas cap on tightly and that's why it was giving me that light. Duh! ;o)
Only you Sara, only you. :)
Its more unusual when I haven't lost my purse! I seem to spend half my day in a hot flush of panic!
I've always said "I'd loose my head if it wasn't attached."
Oh, I wish you hadn't shown me a pic of that Lucky Charms treat thingie--that looks awesome. I can't believe the woman totally analyzed what you had in there! Just hand over the wallet, lady! Sheeesh.
I recently locked myself out of my apartment... and had to have my weird creepy neighbor let me in. It was also on the coldest day of the year and the entire fire department showed up to point and laugh, err, let me in.
Also I can't ever step foot in a Target without being distracted by all the shiny objects. What is it about that store?
Haha, girl, I'm usally good about my wallet but I think I lost or thought I lost my phone 50 times last week and had a panic attack each time. Horrible. Glad your car got you home!
I am so with you on losing the wallet. I am always putting it in the diaper bag, the grocery bag, leaving it in the car, of course it is never in the purse.
I will totally check out the Lucky Charms treat, it looks wonderful.
Blessings!
You Americans get all the good stuff! Lucky Charms bars!
Glad you know how to check your oil...no really...I'm glad...no really! :)
glad you got it back. Those Lucky Charm bars look yummy.
Glad you found your wallet.
What an adventure you've had!!
Btw, great treats.
Haha. I lose lots of things though never my wallet or my kids - woohoo! I do however have a knack for losing things I write down on bright pink pieces of paper. I lost the same piece of paper (which had the info for me to give to the eye dr so I can get new glasses...) three times in four days. Really?!
And guess where I found it? Right in the safe spot I put it so I wouldn't lose it, stuck to my white board in my office. Perhaps if I had written on the pink side and not the white side I would have seen it sooner.
Maybe...
I'm glad you were able to find your wallet. That whole trip sounded like a big pain in the rear!!!
I just saw those Lucky Charms bars for the first time on Friday...I take it they're good?
Hmm, maybe I'm ADD. I lost my credit card *in my own house.* I still haven't found it.
Ooh, and one time I hid my husband's Christmas present so well that I couldn't give it to him for Christmas. I found it about three months later in the closet.
Post a Comment