10.25.2011

Sara Types A Long Post...Beware

I am linking up with Shell at Things I can't say as well here, where other wonderful bloggers share inspiring stories. 



During the course of my treatment, I have grown close to another woman in the group. She is 19, an amazing person, and I felt immediately like she was a little sister to me. 


For a long time, I had a really- really- hard time with some of the issues she was experiencing. It is one thing to feel empathy towards her situation- which I certainly do- and another to have let it effect me in the manner in which it was. After some time, we figured out the reason. 


In her, I saw myself as a young woman, and she was headed down the same path I had. I saw myself, developing an eating disorder at the same age she now was (19) and the path my life had taken since. More than anything I wanted to stop it for her. To jump in, shake her, yell, shout, SCREAM, anything to let her know she had to stop, to get better...Really,  I wanted to transport myself back to that nineteen year old Sara and change the course of her life. To explain about all of the things the eating disorder would take away from her during the ensuing years...to desperately try to prevent the pain she would endure. 


I can't go back and change my life. I can only show myself empathy for the choices I made, move forward,  and most of all, be proud that in 12 years, I won't ever have to look back and feel the same sorrow I do over my past. 


For my young friend? I need to say a few things, knowing these are mostly for myself, my past, and my journey. Often, too often, we give advice to others which we should be giving ourselves. We turn situations around, give advice, have clear ideas on how others should be living their lives. We know this of course, but the mind finds it much more comfortable to help others, don't they? 


I've learned the best type of friend is the one who listens. Listens, listens, and listens some more. There is always going to be a plethora of others who are willing to share their ideas on how we should proceed, yet far too few who will listen and love. 


The last few days have been hard. 


As I watched my friend struggle, I wanted to say and do so many things. I wanted to tell her to stop, where she was headed, what would happen...I saw my past, the longing for validation, understanding, and love. Instead, I had to bite my tongue to the best of my ability and just show love. Really, sometimes we just need someone to say, "Your pain matters. Your feelings matter. We love you." 


She matters. She is worthwhile. She is beautiful, strong, and tells really, really good inappropriate jokes. She took the hardest step of telling her family about the situation. I did tell her that when she told them, things would be very ugly for a period of time. However, things were not beautiful as they stood, and from ashes rise beautiful things. 


I am finding my path from ashes, and I can't wait to see where she takes her journey. 


So, C? Remember when you shared this song with me? Here it is again for you: 




and remember this: 



post signature

34 comments:

Kristina P. said...

She is lucky to have a friend like you.

teacher girl said...

What a wonderful, yet sad post. Like Kristina commented...how lucky & blessed is she to have you as a friend. You are so wise...knowing to say such poignant words {my favorite part of the whole post}: "Your pain matters. Your feelings matter. We love you." Hope your & C's week is good.

Kaci said...

I'm glad you found a friend. Jon found a friend in his recovery too and at the end of his time there she gifted him a rock that says "recovery" it made his day.

Sierra said...

I'm happy you found a friend and that you're helping support her. I love your song choices, that P!nk song always makes me cry.

bobbi said...

I had never seen that video - fucking sobbing right here.

She is so blessed to have you for a friend. I am so glad you have found your way out, even though I'm sure you still struggle, will continue to struggle. You keep at it - you are worth it.

Barbaloot said...

Glad you guys have each other. I can't imagine how hard it must be to experience that---and how badly you must want to just stop her from experiencing the same things. I'm glad for her she has you for the experience and the friendship.

Miller Racing Family said...

So proud of you. What a blessing you are to not only this lady but the rest of us in the blogging world.
Have a great day!

Momma got the runs said...

Sounds like you both provide strength and insight to one another. Nothing is coincidental so maybe she is there to help you with your past and you are there to help her with her future. Such a sweet post.

Momma got the runs said...

Sounds like you both provide strength and insight to one another. Nothing is coincidental so maybe she is there to help you with your past and you are there to help her with her future. Such a sweet post.

Momma got the runs said...

Sounds like you both provide strength and insight to one another. Nothing is coincidental so maybe she is there to help you with your past and you are there to help her with her future. Such a sweet post.

Momma got the runs said...

Sounds like you both provide strength and insight to one another. Nothing is coincidental so maybe she is there to help you with your past and you are there to help her with her future. Such a sweet post.

Nicole said...

wow they are both very powerful videos, and very healing:) I'm glad you had a chance to help someone who you could recognize was in a situation like you had been in, healing for both of you:) sending you lots of love and hope.

KSK said...

I believe that we meet the people that we are supposed to meet and those people may just change our lives.. (or we'll change their's).. :) I'm glad you met her!

"Cookie" said...

I guess is all boils down to support, understanding and love. What we all need in life no matter the hardship we're dealing with. She's lucky to have you for a friend!

Bari said...

It's amazing how some people our put into our lives (or we are put into theirs) and we many not initially understand why. You are a great friend, Sara. She's lucky to have you.

Liz Mays said...

This made me tear up. You are a beautiful person.

Shell said...

She is so lucky to have someone like you in her life. You are a wonderful friend.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

She is lucky to have you as a friend. I love that Pink song too.

Kitchen Belleicious said...

this confirms what i already knew and that is although you are on hilarious woman- you are genuine and true and an amazing friend. She is so lucky. I think you handled it perfectly as far as your words.

Jen said...

Oh, Sara...one day your friend is going to look back at this time in her life and thank God that He gave her a friend like you.
"From ashes rise beautiful things"...love this.
XO

Jessica said...

The best type of friend really is the one that listens and doesn't judge. I hope that your friend reads this and understands how much you support her.

Betty Manousos said...

she's so lucky to have afriendlike you, sara.

have a great day/weekend!

betty xo

amanda said...

long posts are nice posts. glad that God can use you to help her.

Impulsive Addict said...

Apparently I'm a fast reader because this wasn't a long post.

That being said, I'm just getting to know you and had no idea you had this disorder in the past. I'm glad you recovered nicely and are being a good listener for your friend--whom I assume reads your blog. Great message for her!

WELL DONE new friend!

xoxo

Emmy said...

Thank you for sharing this. And what an amazing journey you have had. I think standing back and only showing love may be one of the things I have the hardest time with when my kids are older and having trouble- there is only so much advice and help you can give- then you just have to step back and love.

Richelle said...

She is truly blessed to have a friend like you.

It is very difficult for me to stand back and just listen and not interject with advice. Thanks for the reminder that being a good friend is often tied into how well you love and listen.

Angela said...

Sara,

I really enjoyed reading your post. This experience has given you some good insight about yourself. I love your empathy and hope. This young gal is so lucky to have a friend like you- we all need that, someone to say "I am right here with you."

Hugs to you- I'm cheering for you everyday!

Mama4Real said...

I've never seen that Pink video. I'm bawling.

Amy said...

It is great she has someone like you in her life.. I have someone who is that in my life.. I see so many things in her that I did.. I think that is why we clicked.. I am so there for her and I am glad we have become friends.. You have a great day..

Anonymous said...

another wow....

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

You are an incredibly sweet friend. She is lucky to have you!

Healthy Mom Project said...

It's great that you're able to use your experience to help someone else!

Anonymous said...

I haven't followed all of your struggles but think you're a very kind, compassionate friend to this other girl. Keep taking care of yourself, and chin up!

Anonymous said...

She is truly blessed to know you.