When I think of who we were 10 years ago, compared to who we are today. Think for a minute who you were 10 years ago, especially if you are around the same age as us. Corey and I went through major formative years together- we began college together, changed majors, changed dreams, went out into the workforce together. We have changed who we are on the inside and on the outside.
When I graduated high school and married Corey, I had never lived on my own before, and Corey had for 6 months. My dad figured out my checkbook and filled my windshield wiper fluid. Corey's mom filled out all his paperwork and did his laundry. We knew nothing about being on our own, or how to create a life together. Yet, we managed, and had fun. I loved those first few years together- the crazy schedules, frequent Dairy Queen trips and young love.
If I may, I will go over a few of my favorite memories of the last 10 years (and yes, I may, because this is my blog.)
- Our first year of college together, when we took a few classes together at SCSU. It was fun to be a husband/wife team in college. Our professors got a kick out of us taking courses together.
- The time ALL of our tires & rims were stolen off our S-10 while in the parking lot at SCSU. Corey was a bit peeved, but for some reason, I could not quit laughing. Sorry hon.
- The look of joy on Corey's face when I told him I was pregnant with Elijah. He started to cry, and couldn't wait to tell EVERYONE, despite the fact I was only 4 weeks.
- Mountain biking in Milaca together every weekend. As much as Corey hoped I would love it, I never managed. He continually had to turn around an rescue me as I wiped out and sat on the trail screeching.
- Buying our first home together, how excited we were to have our "own" place, and Corey was to build a workbench in his garage. Then the stress of moving in when Elijah was only 9 days old. Don't recommend that to anyone.
- The way Corey was there for me when my brother died. I wanted to shrink in a hole and be alone, but Corey held me as I cried and took care of me during the darkest hours.
Of all the things I am most amazed at during the last 10 years is the love. I loved Corey as a man when I married him, then learned to love him as a husband and leader of our household. Then, I was able to fall in love with him all over again when he became a father. For those of you who have experienced this, you know there is no greater joy than falling in love with your spouse again as you watch them with their child. The love Corey has for our children is amazing. I still cry sometimes as I watch the boys interact with Corey and the big smile Corey gets on his face every night as he comes home to his boys. I thank God everyday for providing the boys and I with Corey in our lives.
So, my hope for the next 10 years is for them to be as amazing as these last 10 have been. I wouldn't trade any of the hard times we've had, because they have made the good times so much sweeter.
Corey- thank you for sticking with me through it all these last ten years. My promise to you is to continue to buy your CoCo Wheats, and *try* to limit my shopping trips. Loves you huge Cores
3 comments:
You know, I was probably the most shocked of anyone when I heard that you two were getting married. I never thought "it won't last" but marriage at 18 was such a foreign concept to me that I was dumbfounded.
I am so so so happy for you both that you were able to survive AND thrive through those tough years in the early 20s. It takes serious guts to change WITH someone. It's easy peasy to change and adapt on your own, but to keep a relationship humming through all of that is amazing.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
Thanks Kate! As i look back over the years, I can't believe we were married so young either! It hasn't always been easy, but here we are, so we did it.
Couldn't have been that hard. I mean, you did have Betty's Helpful Household Hints to tell you how to be a good wife.
Post a Comment