9.24.2008

** R U N N I N G **

I've been thinking about how I began running 2 years ago this month. Yes, I realize alot of my post mention running, but hey, I am boring. I teach, clean, do laundry, shop, and run. In addition to spending as much time as possible with my *sweet* boys. I started running when Asher was 6 weeks old, which is around this time 2 years ago. Here are a few things I've learned/done in my short running career

* I love running! And I was the chick in high school who cut across the field during the mile run because I couldn't run a whole mile without dying! Who would've thought!

* When I first started running, I did it to lose baby weight. 2 years later- my thighs still jiggle, my butt? Ick-o. Shoot.

• I started by running for 1 minute, then 2, then 5- up to a mile and so on. The first time i made it to 5 miles, I threw up. (nice huh? I threw up at 10 miles too.)

• I am highly competitive- with myself. The thing I love about running is the chance to constantly try to improve your time, distance, heart rate-- whatever. It keeps it motivating.

• I hurt my IT band in my knee this spring. Right now I am nursing a sore ankle, I am not sure what caused it, but hoping it is nothing serious.

• I have swallowed about 56 bugs while running in the evening, taken 2 in the eye and been chased by about 897 stupid, probably rabid dogs- WHO SHOULD BE CHAINED UP AND NOT RUNNING FREE!!!

• Because of the previous reason, I am planning to carry pepper spray next year when I run outdoors. It is nerve wracking to be chased by a large, strange dog who you know nothing about.

• I am not a natural runner- I am not graceful, nor do I move at a quick pace. I knocked 45 sec. of my average mile this summer, which is wonderful, but I will never run a 7 minute mile**. Maybe because of my height? Or, face it, I am just slow.

• I run an average of 25+ miles per week. often consisting of a long run (10+ miles) and 2-3 runs at about 5-8 miles each.

* Running during hot weather is hard. I have seen black spots when i don't hydrate correctly.
Also, don't try the low carb thing when you run. Your body needs carbs to run. Take it from experience.

#1 reason I love to run? The stress relief and freedom. My brother lived 5 years of his life in a wheelchair. To be able to walk, run, move freely is a gift to be celebrated.

So, 2 years of running, and I hope to be running for 45 more. With the spiffy new running shoes I just ordered, I have 700 more miles coming! **


*I do run a 6:59 mile when being chased by stupid dogs
** Hi Hon! I ordered new shoes! I got them $40 off! It was a great deal!

1 comment:

Guacaholic said...

You are one of my major inspirations in my new running career! Good work, and I admire your zest for running!