I have fond memories of my band teacher in 6th grade hearing somebody play out of tune She would stop the entire band class, and have each section play one by one, trying to find the tone deaf moron. My knees would shake as she hit the clarinet section. Sure enough, she’d find it there. Not one to stop, she’d have each one of us play one by one until she found the culprit. Do I need to tell you who it was? By January, I would just pretend to play, and not even blow in my clarinet. Much better that way.
Coming from this, I have never recovered. In college, when my music teacher asked me to match my pitch to the piano, all I could think was, “Umm, how does one make their voice match a piano? Voices are not pianos. I don’t get it.” Nonetheless, she was of the same mold as my band teacher, and didn’t stop there. Fondest college memory? Singing Hot Cross Buns out of tune in front of 20 others. (She, at least, gave up and graded me on effort.)
This long being a source of humor for my husband, you can imagine what Corey said when I told him I was trying Zumba. (A latinish/salsa type dance aerobics class.)
Yes. Me. The tone deaf, non beat hearing klutz, trying to salsa around.
I’ve done it twice now, and it is fun. Okay, so I shake at the wrong time, head the wrong direction and have no idea what is going on.
On a more embarrassing note? By doing so, I have become That Lady. Yes, The Lady in your aerobics class who can’t figure out what is going on. She heads in the wrong direction, messes everything up and distracts you from your routine, because you can’t help but watch the train wreck that She is.
I always watched That Lady in my step classes. (I can handle those, because I just watch her start and follow the feet, counting in sets of 8 in my head.) Now, in Zumba? I am Her. So, my sincere apologies to those who have seen me. However, I will keep it up, because
1~ I like it.
2~It is a good cross training for my running, which uses repetitive motion. This provides me with lateral movement. (I'll never give up running. It requires little coordination and I love it.)
On a more embarrassing note? By doing so, I have become That Lady. Yes, The Lady in your aerobics class who can’t figure out what is going on. She heads in the wrong direction, messes everything up and distracts you from your routine, because you can’t help but watch the train wreck that She is.
I always watched That Lady in my step classes. (I can handle those, because I just watch her start and follow the feet, counting in sets of 8 in my head.) Now, in Zumba? I am Her. So, my sincere apologies to those who have seen me. However, I will keep it up, because
1~ I like it.
2~It is a good cross training for my running, which uses repetitive motion. This provides me with lateral movement. (I'll never give up running. It requires little coordination and I love it.)
3~I kind of like being That Lady. Gives me an identity. You know, besides being a wife, mommy, teacher, runner, non-cooking spaz.
11 comments:
It just wouldn't be a fun Zumba class if we didn't have "That Lady" in there with us!!! I hope you had fun, I'll be there next week for sure!
How do we know that you don't look like Phoebe when you run (I hope you have seen that episode of Friends!)?????
I do. Again, sorry!
I wish we lived closer together because then we could be "THOSE ladies" because I am so uncoordinated in those turbo kick classes. I don't go often, can't imagine why...
We all LOVE "That Lady". I like that you are trying it and keepin it real...no matter how spazzy you may look. Keep on zumba'ing. :)
I have been That Lady all my life. And you are right - it is kinda fun once you embrace it.
It's humbling to be that lady every now and again!!
I am That Lady, too. Sadly it sometimes keeps me from aerobics class and stuff like that. Thanks for the encouragement to embrace it and press on! I loved this post!
Ha! I think we need to see video. ;-)
I totally have you beat on this. The first (and only, as you'll see why) time I got talked into Zumba class with a friend I tripped and fell over backwards, on my butt, REALLY hard. It was, possibly the funniest thing ever so don't feel bad because at least you aren't THAT Lady. :) (I'm just a random blogger, found you on Not me monday today)
OH that sounds like me! I hate that I can not dance because I can't figure it out. However, my hubby and I took a dance class right before our wedding and they actually explained to me what "the beat" means. Now that I have been concentraiting on it I have learned how to hear it. Maybe one of these days I will be able to dance. :)
Post a Comment