In my head (where I imagine all the good stuff goes on), I imagine you all wonder why I consider myself to be Domestically Challenged. (Or at least 1 of you does? Please?) So, since this is my blog, I will happily oblige.
First of all, I was born in 1980 to a mother who is not what you'd call a domestic homemaker. She loves take out, Oriental Trading Company and slice and bake cookies. Until Elijah was 3 he had no idea that you could make cookies other than slice and bake.
Growing up? I didn't care much for housework or cooking. Combine this with the fact I spent 6 months of my senior year of high school working at Subway... I recall one time burning my hand on a pan of BBQ chicken at Subway. As I sat there crying in pain, the guy waiting in line said, "Hey, can I get my sandwich?" #$@#
Married at the tender age of 18, I only knew how to make sub sandwiches and noodle soup. Our first year of marriage, my husband and I both worked 35 hours a week and were full time college students. This added up to lots of fast food meals. (and a few extra pounds!)
I never added to my cooking menu of hamburgers, soup and spaghetti because, well it isn't worth it.
1~ My husband and I have entirely different tastes in food. Case in point? (Man, I sound cool using that term, don't I?) He eats no fruits, vegetables, casseroles, fish, salads...
His parents owned a bakery growing up, and worked crazy hours. Many times, he ate at the bakery, or the cafe they owned attached to it. So while he doesn't have a taste for casseroles, he eats an awesome variety of Kiddie Menu items, such as corn dogs, cheeseburgers, chicken strips and fries.
2~ No fruits and vegetables you ask? None at all? That's right folks. None. His mom doesn't like them, and didn't make the kids eat them either. I don't think he has ever tasted a strawberry, pineapple or kiwi. My friends and I peer pressured him into trying cantaloupe this summer, but he said the texture was "weird." (No dear, you are weird.)
3~ Seriously, the man doesn't even like pizza. I know. I love pizza.
4~ At holiday gatherings? His plate has a few pieces of ham and turkey on it and a bun. That's it.
Now, would you want to try and cook for him? I am not innocent either...
1~ I have not eaten red meat in 10 years. My husband lives on red meat. So, when I make a meal, I have to make it with chicken and beef, as hubby doesn't like chicken unless it is in a fried strip with honey mustard.
2~ I try to eat healthy, unless it is Halloween, Christmas, any holiday known to man and celebrated on this earth or solar system. Again, this doesn't mesh with with husband's eating habits.
3~ I enjoy casseroles, but husband does not eat them, so why bother?
And really ? Cooking just stresses me out.
Trying to get all the food done at the same time?
Trying to make one dish with chicken and one with beef or pork?
Having to touch raw meat? With blood and veins and fat? Make me vomit.
Trying to make veggies/salad for the boys and I and fries for the husband?
Keeping the kitchen clean while doing so, because I don't like a mess?
Having to jump up a 100 times while eating to grab stuff/finish stuff, clean up a mess...
However, I *love* to bake. It just makes me happy. My husband's office loves me, because I am always sending baked goods in. I have recipe for a Twinkie cake I am going to try this week.
18 comments:
had no idea C's family owned the bakery. That was seriously the highlight of my trips to the cabin. Grandpa Tom would take me into town to the bakery, we'd pick out donuts for Sunday AM, then eat at the cafe.
Dave would have a rotating diet of burgers, steak, red sauce with pasta, and pizza if I weren't around. And that's less extreme than C, but I understand how frustrating it can be to be cooking healthy while dealing with an adult who eats like a child. (Which is why I put on 20 lbs over three years of dating. Great! Love those burgers! Not.)
I don't know how C stays so thin. Seriously!
Thanks for sharing! I love to cook and luckily my hubby eats anything that doesn't crawl away and probably would then too. Kiddo is not TOO picky, I make him try everything at least once...okay two times if I think he didn't get a big enough mouth full the first time.
The only time I made something unedible was one Saturday morning (before I started working just weekends) and I had read a recipe in a Paula Deen cook book called "Breakfast Casserole"-the name alone now makes me shudder. Anyway, I had to mix up all the ingredients the night before and let it sit over night so the bread in it could soak up all the flavors. (Shudder again) The next morning I had invited my mama and daddy over to eat breakfast with us. I proceeded to bake the casserole (shudder) like it said-oh did I mention that I didn't have a glass baking dish the appropriate size so I improvised with a round glass 2 quart bowl thingy instead. It was thicker than the other pan would have been so I added longer to the baking time. Pulled it out of the oven, set it on the table, we proceed to eat it. My mama, who is usually very tactful-GAGS!! Then I look at Jeff, who eats anything, and he has this look of horror on his face that spoke volumes!! I just got up, took everyone's plates, gave them their coats and we went to Golden Corral and had breakfast there! That casserold tasted like wet (yuck) eggs and mustard and mushy bread!!
Sorry to write a novel but I had to share that story about my culinary skills lol!!
Your post made me laugh. I wouldn't cook either (or maybe just for myself). His dislikes pretty much wiped out all of my recipes ;) Good luck with that!!
How can someone not like pizza? Really.
You and I are in the same boat...even though the hubby denies it he's the pickiest eater ever. I don't enjoy cooking because it will never turn out right. He'll eat it so that he doesn't hurt my feelings but he doesn't like it. Thats why I don't feel an urge to cook. But this week I decided that I'm making what I want and he doesn't have to have any...
This was great! Well, we all have our likes and dislikes.
My husband used to be a chicken, corn and rice person that was it! We moved to seattle after college and I made him eat all the wonderful seafood and sushi they have there. We moved back to the midwest and I decided to survive here that I needed to entertain and go back to school for culinary. He has become a excellent test taster and will try just about anything once, (well were still working on green vegetables) see there is hope for your husband!!!!:)
No pizza?!?! Me and him wouldn't get along very well. lol
I really don't like to cook either(I do it though-my man is a meat and potatoes kind of guy).....but do enjoy baking. I don't bake a lot though, b/c that leads to me eating it all.
Your post made me laugh!!:)
Oh my heavens!
So what on earth do you all eat for dinner?
I'd have a breakdown if my hubby ate like that!
Although when we got married (I was 19-you beat me with the 18!) he told me that parmesean cheese was smelly-but I converted him!
Don't forget to add to your cooking list, the famous Taco Ring..mmmmmmm.....I am hungry:) You guys both eat that!!! Of course you have one chicken and one beef, but still, for as small as they are, you would have to make two anyways!:)
Give me the name of the box cake cookbook! I would love to try other faux recipes :) When I make fancy cakes with cake mixes people always say "This is just so much better than a boxed cake." I just smile and nod....make anything pretty and it's much better than expected :)
I dislike cooking for many of the same reasons that you do... however I really have no choice. No fast food around here - hubby works all day and I stay home so my excuses are shot to the wind. Plus there's mommy guilt & then the COST of eating out or eating fast/frozen vs. eating at home.
So I have 1 question.... what DO you eat for dinner then each night? And your boys?
I'm actually kind of jealous... sometimes wish I could "just say no" to cooking. ;-)
I,infact, HAVE wondered why you are domestically challenged!
I am wondering though...what DO you eat? for dinner especially!? =)
Oh my gosh and I thought I was a picky eater! My pickiness is nothing compared to this! It must be such a challenge to eat together. I probably wouldn't cook either if this is what I had to work with!
Great post and funny too!
My twin sister refuses to eat pizza- or anything with tomato sauce or cheese. I'll never understand.
I HATE to cook and would happily do the dishes instead. I am quite certain my husband does not like it when I cook either. I am most certainly offended by this fact yet, kinda glad at the same time. If my husband did not like to cook I am sure I would be malnourished and my kids would live on mac and cheese, grilled cheese, quesadillas and pb&j's...am I a good mom or what?
My hub's a teacher - like you. But he still thinks that he doesn't need to do any cooking, cleaning, or anything but the "outside" stuff when he's off for the summer... I still do it all. Because it's his vacation, ya know? (when is mine? I'm having a pity party here). BUT he is always a great help with the kids. And he's so darn cute -especially when he's working up a sweat outside- that I forgive him easily. TMI?
Love your blog always, I can always count on a good laugh.
I want some brownies.
Wow... thank you for giving me another view into what other moms/wives are experiencing. It's given me a better perspective on my own situation.
I don't mind cooking, in fact, I often enjoy it and see it as just another way to love my family and care for them, but I really don't like it being taken for granted, that they totally depend on me for this.
When it's someone else's turn, it usually comes out of a box or a can (KD [Canadian Mac & Cheese], soup, Alphaghetti, frozen pizzas, etc). So if I want good nutrition, homemade meals and soups, I have to have initiative.
That being said, your situation sounds a lot more complex/complicated, so that makes me pretty thankful that I've got it pretty good.
If I were in your shoes, I think I'd hate cooking too.
On the other hand, I rarely bake anything (other than meals in the oven). We rarely have desserts (like, once every 2-4 weeks?), homemade or otherwise.
Post a Comment