1.31.2009

Why I dislike cooking part 2

The last time I wrote about my dislike of cooking, I might have tipped the scales a bit more on my side than my husbands. After all, this is my blog, and he doesn't contribute to it, so I can. 
However, I must confess, I am not the *most* normal eater on the planet either. Examples, you ask? Here's a sampling: 

~I hate potlucks. Weird, yes? But how do I know how you prepared them? Did you use clean dishes? Wash your hands? This comes total normal worry comes from making a cake with a friend growing up. When the friend realized that they cake pan was currently being used to hold dog food, she emptied the dog food, rinsed (no soap), and proceeded to put the cake mix in. Me? I ran home crying. Since then? I only eat at potlucks if I know the food preparers and their home habits. Much safer that way. 
~ I pick my food apart. Like a Kit Kat? I will nibble the chocolate off the outside, and eat the layers inside layer by layer. I do this with almost everything I eat. Yeah, I'm normal. 
~I will eat the same thing day in and day out for months at a time. Last year it was peanut butter toast, energy bars and french bread pizza. This year? Egg rolls for lunch every day. Yep. 
I honestly consider this to be a civic duty, as it gives my coworkers such joy to say things like, "Hey Sara, what's for lunch? Egg rolls?" Duh. Or, "Hey do you buy those in bulk or what?" Yes, I am a giver. 
~ I also eat popcorn nearly every day. I burn it 89.5% of the time, which irritates me, but practice makes perfect. By the time I get it right, I'll have moved on. I've done this for over 12 years, so it stands to say it is a habit. One of which I am proud to say, Elijah has inherited. (I could actually blame this one on Corey. He has eaten Coco Wheats for breakfast everyday since he was 6. That's 24 years of Coco Wheats, every single morning.) 
~I do not like to try new things. I like my old comfortable, and have never been an adventuresome eater. Neither has Corey. We don't even need menus at our favorite places to eat. 

So, am I doomed to have picky eating children? Maybe. We offer them a variety of foods and try to not make them like us. Asher is very good, while Elijah is getting better. 
Me? Not that I have admitted to being That Crazy Lady in Zumba and a Weird Eater, I better go. I have popcorn to burn, and a kid who wants to be pulled around the house in a laundry basket fashioned with a handle made out of my robe tie.

9 comments:

Jenn said...

I think egg rolls every day sounds good. I get on kicks like that, too. In college, I ate salad with lunch meat ("slab-o-meat", as my friends so appetizingly called it) on top every day.

I hadn't thought to make a handle for the laundry basket when I pull my son around in it. Probably better for the back. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think you're doomed...kids eat how they're going to eat. My kids? We introduced them to all sorts of things and my oldest has become such a picky eater all on his own. He once ate broccoli and cauliflower. Now? Microwave popcorn is too "spicy" and after 5 years, he still won't touch meat. My almost 3 year old? More likely to be adventurous but I'm sure that will change too. After all, he loves to be like his big brother...

Jessica said...

eww, I don't think that I like potlocks anymore either!

Anonymous said...

I am hoping it was Sarah Greynolds that did the cake thing! it couldnt have been me!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Yes, Kari, it was. In fact, I almost emailed you to ask the name of the dog- you know, that big, mean black one? I perhaps should have been more worried about 'pot' in the cake, huh?!
Your house? That was the one I came home crying from because your brother threw barbies onto the roof!

heidi said...

See I only eat from the dishes of those I personally KNOW at church potluck. And I LOATHE buffet styl;e restaurants. All those people touching your food, breathing on it, sneezing in it, sticking their nasty fingers in it. Blech.

Debbie said...

I have a tendency to get in an eating rut. Doesn't bother me at all! And my kids are from one end of the picky spectrum to the other.

Anonymous said...

Good thing my abilities in the kitchen have come far! Now, I feed the doggie in disposable dishes ;)I'll remember your picky next time you decide to show up for supper...

How old were we when that happened? not sure about the dog, my memory sucks!

Stellan Bracelets said...

Oh wow.... I didn't know someone else out there in the big ol' scary world ate chocolate bars the same way I do, by nibbling all the chocolate off, and then eating the center part by part. Seriously strange, to have met someone else who will even admit to that out loud. COOL!!! I'm a creature of habit that way, I have a unique method to eating each type of food.

Another similarity -- I could also have the same thing, day in, day out, all year long. It drives my husband batty.