My coworkers and I were talking about names yesterday. Unique names to be exact. Elijah? Pretty normal, I'd say. Asher? I've had a few people say things like, "Hmm, never heard that before. You make it up?"
"Um, no. Actually my husband found it in the Bible and loved it..."
However, Asher and Elijah are nothing compared to some of the other ones I've heard. I know celebrities name their children unique names sometimes, however, the children also lead unique lives. Being named Apple and having famous parents is possibly different than being named Puma from Normal Parents from Small Town, USA. Tracking?
In the 4th grade class, we have 17 students (out of 68) who have duplicate names. As a Sara? I always had to be Sara L, because there were 3 Sara's in my grade. In one of my college courses? There were 17, yes 17, girls named Sara. (Great class to skip, just say you were another one of the Sara's.)
Personally? I like love cool names, but you have to be a bit realistic with it too. My coworker knew a girl named ABCDE (ab-suh-dee) Do you really want your child to go through live constantly having to pronounce their name to everyone they meet? My favorite?
L-ia. How would you pronounce that? Your wrong.
LaDasha- the dash ain't silent.
A bit ago, my sister was telling me about a conversation she had with her friend, where Patty (my sis) was telling her about a Unique name she had heard lately. Patty was going on and on about how horrible it was for parents to do that to their kids. when she noticed her friend laughing hysterically. Why? My sister named her son Gohan. Sorry, Patty, that falls under Unique as well! (and G? I love you man, and sorry Asher calls you Hohan.)
That's all I have to say. See? A post with very little to do with anything. What are your thoughts?
Am I totally off? You have any good ones? And, please, don't tell me you have a child named ABCDE, because that would be embarrassing for me.
27 comments:
Cute boys, how old are they? Thanks for commenting on my blog. Where in MN are you? I grew up in St. Cloud, and all of my family is still there. We are trying to sell our house so we can move back there.
Love the jackets...they are adorable both the jackets and the boys. :)
Working at a school, don't you find that you get ridiculous names? We have had a few of the more "unique" ones as well. I.E. Money Green (only pronounced monet like the painter?) That makes it better, right? We had our share of Precious, Princess, and Prince. We have one little girl named Unique...now that one is the most Unique. :)
We met a woman named ABCDE once at a Wal-Mart in Hawaii. We thought it was a nametag joke, but when my Dad asked her she looked him point blank and said no my name is ab-suh-duh.
Whoops!
OMG...how could I forget the best names EVER??? When I was a social worker I had a family that named their kids (I swear this is the truth, no kidding here)...God, Lord, Christ, and I.B.D.D.??? We were confused by the initials as well. Poor God was teased so horribly when he went to kindergarten that they changed his name to....DAMIEN!!! Can you even imagine in class..."God, could you please read the next sentence?" "God, we don't hit our friends at school." "God, please stop talking." I could go on and on....
I once knew a girl that was named female (fe-mall-e geeze, I am bad at phonetically sounding things out) because her mother was an immigrant and she thought that she had to name her that becuase it was written in the paper she had to fill out. Turns out she was supposed to write the name she chose in the box labeled female!!
Nothing is too out of the ordinary these days. I grew up with girls named Cinnamon and Tawny. I knew a kid named Spider (and no joke that was the name on his birth certificate. Not sure if his middle name was Man or not...hehe).
Living in another country we have all sorts of weird names but most everyone is from somewhere else so I don't know if they are really weird or not.
Examples: Moza, Daniyal (but it's a boy so its the spelling that throws me), my neighbors son is named Florian. That would seem more girl to me but then again I'm not German. I also now a lady named Ulrike (pronounced with an 'a' at the end.)
And lots of people named Silke. I'm never sure how to pronounce that one.
Yeah... names interesting subject. I grew up with girls that were teased really badly and were poor, unkempt, told stories beyond belief etc.. even to this day I still see them around town or hear about them now and then and its still the same. Their names were precious and patience..
I know what you mean about having a common name...mine is Jennifer. Although I hate being 1 of like 4 Jennifer's everywhere I go (work, school, etc), I'd rather be common then totally outrageous like "L-ia"!! Poor girl.
See, now I would have screwed up and pronounced L-ia as "L hyphenia."
In the town where I grew up, there lived the Sweet family. The girls were named Too (Sweet), Very (Sweet), Always (Sweet), Truly (Sweet). Those are the ones I remember. It will really stink if they get married and change their names.
I know of a lady who named her son Shithead... Yes, spelled that way, but pronounced Shi-thead. And there was another lady who had twin boys and named them Lemonjello and Orangejello. Guess she had a craving for jello when she was pregnant?!
Makes me glad to have such a common name as Tiffany!
well my kiddos start with a, b, c and d. let's just leave e alone for now. :0) and i hear you. i'm an amanda. at one point there were three of us in the same class. i was mandie then, only time in my life. i like amanda better.
Loved this post... these names are killing me. ABCDE? L-ia??
I won't complain about when someone else asks me how to spell or pronounce my name (Jolaine).
JD
I am so with you on having different names. It is hard being in education and then naming your own child. Because every name you think of you will be able to remember some student that had that name good, bad or ugly. I have heard the L-ia story and just thought that was to funny. Hope you have a great weekend.
I am not a unique name fan...I also hate normal names with wacky spellings. I'm a huge fan of original, classic names, which is obvious when you learn my boys' names are Alexander Charles and Benjamin James.
How about folks who give their kids perfectly normal names, but give them unusual spellings? I'm not talking about ethnic/cultural differences, either. Certainly, there are understandable differences among us. For example:
Emily - Emilee, Emilie, Emmalie
Ashley - Ashleigh, Ashlie
Megan - Meagan, Meaghan, Meghan, Meegan
Connor - Conor, Conner
Brian - Bryan
Michael – Mikel, Mikael
Not that there is anything wrong with using different spellings; but I have heard young children cry when they cannot find their name, or find it the way they spell it, on all those wonderful “personalized” trinkets out there. I’m not sure having a unique name, or even a unique spelling of a common name, is quite the honor parents may intend, at least during the elementary years. That’s just my 2-cents on the matter.
We went to school with a girl named Tara Paper. TRUE STORY!
ABCDE is totally cruel! (Arent' there laws against crazy names like that!?!?)
~Keri
You are hysterical!!! Guess what my name is??? You guessed it...Sara!!!
I have a Noah, nice and normal old testament name, and a Titus, not so normal......
once at a playground a Rabbi and his wife were there, I kept calling Noah b/c he is older and wandering, then the wife came and cooed over baby and asked his name, "Titus", she turned white said no more and walked away,
I felt like calling out not the Roman Titus but the New Testament Titus ! If you don't know the New Testament and just history we sound offensive.......we decieded, on Titus b/c a teacher gave us an advice to give a short yet strong name........he has it !
In 5th grade there was a kid named Kermit (his True name) and in junior high there was a guy named O.C. (His mom couldn't think of a name, so she put together her two fav alphabets.
In the words of Charlie Brown: Good Grief!!
Ok, My comment never posted after everything I wrote, ugh. I was saying that my school is loaded with uh, unique names. I think the people in charge of Birth Certificates should have more power over the spelling of names!
I love L-ia. That is hilarious! I've heard some pretty unique names but I personally like ones that are just unique enough but not too much.
17 Sara's? and I thought we had a lot of Ashley's growing up but that is just crazy!
First of all.... love the jackets. They are cute!
I'm a fan of unique names...WITHIN Reason! Not some crazy ass stuff
My little one is Cason. Not off the wall but there aren't many either.
What ARE parents thinking when they do that to their kids? My husband shot down many "normal" names because he didn't want our children to be raked over the coals their entire lives.
Yet, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. (Their kids will get them back in their golden years!)
If I told you how my husband heard this name, it would be a HIPPA violation. (Actually, just mentioning the name might be too, I don't know) BUT you kept saying, "unique" well, try "Unique Kidd" Yes, thats the child's name. Last name "Kidd," first name, "Unique."
I could go on with what he comes home with, but I probably shouldnt.
And I'm with you, we had four Kelli's in my grade, so we went to First name, first initial, and Kelly V., Kelly B, Kelli P, and Kelley L were still confusing. (OK maybe not the L)
I am also a Sarah - so common. It was a faitly small town (200 grad class - but those 200 were together pretty much the entire 13 years) so whatever we decided your name was in about 1st or 2nd grade, it stuck. I remember vividly the day our second grade teacher asked which of them wanted to be Andrew and which Andy - and always stayed just like that. Sarah H and Sarah C...it just was. Even now on facebook someone metioned Sarah H and Sarah C - commonly referred to as "The Sarahs"...
Now L-ia...over.the.top! She clearly would have been one of my students. Or even more likely....one of my student's kids.
Oh man some people just don't think!! The most unique name I can think of was actually fought over in the courts here (montreal) - the parents wanted to name their child Spatule- it translates to Spatula in English!!
Post a Comment