My husband? Saw the purchase for the the raffle ticket. I tell him all about the great cause, and how we are helping this little boy, Seth, to receive surgery by purchasing a raffle ticket. His response? "Are you sure you are not being suckered?" What!?! "You know, anybody could say that they are having a raffle and raise money. How would you ever know if you didn't win? They could be taking your money and running."
I, choosing to believe the best in people, say, "Oh well, if they are that desperate, let them take my $10. Otherwise? I'll believe that I am helping."
So, he comes in the kitchen 5 minutes later and tells me the following story.
There was once a man with a cow. He decided to sell raffle tickets for his cow for $5, and the winner got the cow. (Editors note: A cow raffle?!? Honestly, how do you ship a cow?) The man sells 5,000 tickets to his cow raffle and picks a winner. He calls the winner of the raffle and tells him the news. However, it turns out the cow has died from a sickness, and he no longer has a cow to raffle. He refunds the "winner" his $5 and keeps the $24,995 he made off the others.
At this point? I can only ask, "How did they find out his lie? Did he go to jail?"
Corey's answer: "This is a made up story my dear, beautiful, young looking bride. There was no cow, no raffle. I am just showing you how you could be duped."
Seriously.
That was the best he could do?! A cow raffle?
I'll keep donating.
15 comments:
A skeptic huh?? Someone will win and then post about how dang excited they are THAT's how we'll know fo sho!! Besides I don't think El is THAT kind of person!
That sounds like something my husband would say. A lot like something he'd say, actually. I wonder if there's a cynical husbands club.
Well, he is from Mille Lacs County... it wouldn't shock me at all if there was an actual cow raffle there! :) (Now THAT would spice up the ol' meat raffle at the muni...)
While your hubby may have a point (shocking, I know), I will choose to believe in the good in people. Now, for the more important question...why on earth as he was commenting on his beautiful, young looking wife did he not include thin, sassy, and fabulous? AND a cow story??? Is he calling you a cow?? I think you should be mad AND I am having a raffle...wanna donate?
Your husband is seriously hilarious. :)
Too funny...
And I am like you.....I choose to give from my heart (God knows my intentions) and if the receiver is "duping" me....so be it. Pretty sure God knows it too and that's His job to judge.
Happy I stumbled upon your blog! :)
Peace
*~Michelle~*
funny. i do like that he picked a cow though. that was hilarious!!
oh DH...good thing you chose to love him!
I'm with you on your thinking...regardless of the outcome, your choices are based on good. That's the important part.
LOL I give because I want to.. like someone else said if I was duped that god will know. That being said I do not give a ton of money since well I am not rich but I give what I can at the moment.. and it's never enough to break my bank.. so it doesnt matter really if I was duped.
I was just commenting somewhere else that one of the best things about marriage is how we compliment each other. This is another great example! I bet you two are perfect together.
There's no way to be sure everything is above board; but, I leave it to God. He'll take care of it.
If you enjoy it and it doesn't cause budgeting issues, then have at it. Just think, it's about the same as going to a movie. Have fun!
Oh my gosh, that sounds so much like my fiance! He is just like that...
I just love the cow raffle... of all the things to come up with, a cow raffle??
That sounds just like my husband! The man drives me nuts sometimes. Donate away!
so last night i was sharing some of my fav. posts from blogs i read this week. i read him your post. long story short, he agrees with your husband and sees nothing wrong with a cow raffle?!?! boys. lol. we are from wi, so i guess it makes sense for him to not think it is weird. BUT because he wants me to win a camera instead of spending 'moo-la' on one...i am buying a ticket...or two. :0)
Tell your husband a cow only costs about $500 so what would be the point of not actually giving someone the cow if you actually made $30K on a raffle?
Send him back to the drawing board for some better numbers. :)
Post a Comment