3.02.2009

Top 10 List

**UPDATE** It is official.. I am cut, but I handled it well {i think} what can you do anyway? Now? I am nursing a tension headache.. I hope hubby lets me go for a run!**

As I type this, the decision has been made to whether I will have a job next year or not...yuck. There is a 99.9% chance that I will not, in fact, have a job. I'll find out sometime this week. Not sure if it will be tomorrow, or on Friday. 
But- don't worry about me, there are plenty of jobs out there- what, with this economy, being a female elementary teacher? I'll have my choice. 
Rather than dwell on it, I have been trying to take a *positive* attitude towards the whole thing. (Rather than my mom's idea to dress in black all week and quit washing my hair.) 
I've even come up with my own list of ++ positives ++ of being cut. 

1) I've never been much of a morning person anyway. I can stay in bed till noon- or the kids wake up, whichever comes first. 

2) No need to buy large, bulky sweaters to wear everyday from October until May. I won't freeze everyday! 
3) My house? Wow, will it be clean. I truly will be able to be a Domestic Diva. 
4) My husband can come home to a warm, home cooked meal every night. 
(okay, I probably won't do this one.)

5) As long as I am admitting it...I probably won't do #3 either. 

6) Think of all the quality reading material I will be able to expose myself to. 


6) One word: Crafting. Yes ladies, that is a purse. Ingenious, isn't it?

7) Spend more time with my boys~ think of how much I will be able to warp them...

8) I won't get so behind in all my blog reading...

9) I was going to say we would drop into a lower tax bracket, but after looking it up, we won't. Still gonna get us taxed at 25%. Shoot. 

10) I'll be able to hit all the deals at Target! I'll be the first to know, because I'll be there really early. 

I do have to say, as an endnote, that I am glad that I get this notice. Many others lose their jobs and have to leave shortly after. I have several months to prepare and get things in order. Now? I am just concentrating on holding it together when they tell us. Even if you know it's coming? I don't think that makes hearing it any easier. 

30 comments:

WILLOW TREE said...

Hold the phone, is number 6 what I think it is?? Whoa-mygoodness.

Praying for your job!

Blessings, Carolynn

PS, I just moved from MN, and know some really great mommy bloggers up there if you want to email me (willowtreefour@gmail.com)

Sarah said...

Uncertainty can be so scary. Like you said, even if you know it is coming, it is still hard to prepare for and accept.
I'll say a prayer for you and your job.

You never fail to crack me up and put a big smile on my face.:) The reason why I love your blog!

Cass said...

What a positive attitude you have about the uncertainty, very querky... Good Luck- I may not know you, but I hope you pull through.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I hope you don't lose your job.
I love the list, though. You have a great outlook on it!

Crystal said...

Hope you get good news about your job next year, if not I am glad to see you are prepared and taking it well.. even comtemplating cooking hahaha.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you are in a position to have to worry about this. I hope it doesn't happen but if it does your take on it is amusing :)
Good luck.

Guacaholic said...

Ugh. Major stinkage. BUT! More time for RUNNING! (That could be no. 11)

Anonymous said...

Ah, things will work out, they always do... especially with a sense of humor :)

Jessica said...

I don't understand how teachers get laid off. Economy or not. Really. I just don't get it. What have things become? It is just so wrong on so many levels.

seriously? said...

I am right there with you...gotta love the lay off notices. I have been layed off twice for the summer and hired back to the same school both times. I HATE IT!!! Causes all kinds of stress and mayhem. Wait, I am going to take on your positive attitude and see what happens. Thanks for the reminder. :) Hang in there.

Simply Complex said...

I hope that you can hold it together if the worst news comes. Personally, I would be a wreck. I cried my eyes out after my boss said he would appreciate it if I went on maternity leave early due to the crumbling economy and, get this, I offered to do it . He was just taking me up on my offer! What, was I crazy? Must have been.

Anyhoo- of course I dont know you IRL, but they are missing out if they let you go. You are funny. Really funny. And who doesn't need a class clown in elementary school? Seriously.

Good Luck.

heidi said...

Ugh. If you don't get to keep your job maybe you can..I dunno..run an in-home daycare or something. *giggle* That'd up your domestic divaness fo sho.

King J's Queen said...

Keep being positive about the job. You never know, it may turn out to be one of the best things to happen to you (whichever way it goes).

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your job, but am very happy at your positive outlook. Things will be fine. You'll be in my prayers.

Brooke said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I really don't want to welcome you into the unemployed club I've been hanging out in for way too long.

Anonymous said...

awwww...sorry to hear about your jobloss! teachers are getting hurt too in this economy! our district is cutting costs, kinda glad i'm out of it right now. i do hear about it from my teacher friends though.

love your top ten list...sleeping til' noon, reading, being the first at Target...all sounds wonderful. all of these things are what i visioned when i decided to stay home too. maybe your kids are older...so you will have some time to yourself, have fun and enjoy! way to be positive at such a crummy time! hope your headache gets better!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I'm so sorry you lost your job. Hang in there!

The Dental Maven said...

I'm betting this totally works out to your advantage.

"Cookie" said...

Hope you got that run in! Nothing like being alone, working out, and clearing your mind.

I seem to be adding peeps to the prayer list tonight. saying a prayer that things will work out.

OH... we were only outside in the snow for 15 minutes or so. It was in the low 30's. My child probably should have had gloves/mittens on. Oh well...we had a blast though!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement about ruining things also. It makes me feel better that I'm not the only one. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your job. :( I am sure that your students will miss you as much as you will miss them. :( :(

Chin up--now you can run a marathon in all 50 states this year. :) Totally doable, right??

King J's Queen said...

I'm sorry to hear you did get cut. I'm praying that all will be okay for your family. Who knows, this new chapter in your life may turn out to be a blessing beyond compare!

I lost my job last summer. The loss of the second income has been somewhat challenging; but my husband has a better wife and my daughter has a better mom. We are able to enjoy each other much more. The daily tensions are greatly reduced. I hope you will find the same, for as long as your stay-at-home time lasts.

amanda said...

being at home is kind of like teaching. :0) sorry you got cut. but i know YOU know god is in control. praise him for that.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Hope your job is not cut. Way to think on the bright side.

LucieP said...

hello cute girl!
Keep telling yourself to think positive if all you really wanna do is cry in a closet with some ho-hos! ;)
My BD lost his job on January 6th as in "today is your last day, here is your check, no severance or benefits, goodbye." I couldn't believe it! He worked there for 10 years...and we just got a house the month before after living with his sis...good times!
I think I am still in shock at times but basically I told myself that God is trying to get my attention! HELLO GOD, I CAN HEAR YOU! LOVE YOU, THANK YOU!

Ok so maybe not that dramatic but...aren't you a little bit curious what He's planning for you?! I mean...who knows when you will find out but just knowing that down the road you will think, "Wow, I am SO glad THAT happened..."

Oh you will. Believe it!

Love your top 10!

Sarah said...

So sorry you got cut. I'll be saying a prayer for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Hi. Sorry your job got cut. But like you said in your previous post, you guys will be fine. Still doesn't make it suck any less though.

Ace said...

Aw, shoot. I'm sorry! Hope you can find something you'll end up liking even better!

Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} said...

I love number 1 and 2.. oh and 10 while we're at it. Sorry you got cut but I love how positive you are about it. I think that rocks!

RuensOnTheRun said...

Good luck with the job situation. I hate to burst your bubble, but I stay at home and I get none of the above items done! ;) Other than reading more blogs...