
Okay, I am back in the saddle. Even though I don’t ride. Horses are scary and have big poop.
Moving on. Last week, on Tuesday, I decided to run a ½ marathon race about an hour from home. Coincidentally, it was in the town where Corey and I lived for 7 years before moving where we are now. I miss that town.
I was nervous! My husband and friends couldn’t figure out why, because I run that much all the time, but it is different on a race day.
1- You run no matter the weather. And I am a fair weather gal.
2- EARLY!! I am NOT a morning person. Just ask Core who usually pulls me out of bed by my ankles in the morning
3- Caffeine- how do you pump enough in me to keep me awake, yet not having to go to the bathroom every mile?
However, it went great! It was COLD- about 45 degrees at the start line with a nice, brisk stupid wind to refresh me on my way.
The start line was packed, and my first mile was about a 10 min as we rode through the pack. Actually, for the first 4 miles, it was pretty hard to find a pace. They had some crazy turns, and at a few points, had us running on short space while cars zipped by. You were stuck trying to keep a pace, and unable to move because of the traffic. At another spot, you were running on the sidewalk, so it was hard to move as well.
Once it thinned out a bit, I was able to catch a pace. I think I ended my first hour at about a 9:15 pace, and then for my second hour, I picked it up quite a bit. (read- a few seconds, I am not speedy gonzales)
With water stops and tight spots, I finished in 1:57:57, which was perfect for me. I wanted to finish in under 2 hours, and I did it.
One super encouraging thing for me was the amount of daddy’s and children cheering on their wives and mothers. It was exciting to see so many women pushing for a goal. Elijah told me I was his hero! Asher? Asked if he could have my cookie.
When I told my dad later, he said, "Good job sweetie." and Corey said, "Yeah, she did it in under 2 hours." My dad just smiled, so I elaborated, "Yes, that is about a 9 min/mile, which is good for me." His response? "That's great! (insert pause) Actually, I don't know what that means." Gotta love him!
I am so thankful for my boys (all of them) for being so supportive of me and my goals. I am one lucky lady!

33 comments:
Congrats on the race! You inspire me to run more. I literally have to talk myself into running it is a battle I go over in my head and then while I am running I have to continue to talk myself through it, but I always feel better when I do. And in reply to Twilight, it is SUCH a great series. I am seriously in love with Edward Cullen, makes me feel like I am teenager all over again. I am not even into the whole vampire thing, infact, not a Sci-Fi girl at all, but it is just a wonderful love story. Once you start reading it you'll have to let me know what you think ;) have a great day!
I have never run a marathon, and am so impressed by people who do!
I really, really dislike running, but there's something appealing about saying you've run one.
Way to go for you!!! You Rock!!
Your dad's response was too cute!!
Congrats!!!
I'm impressed:)
that's so cool! good job! i love that asher asked for your cookie! too funny!
You never cease to amaze me! I'm so proud of you not only for doing it, but for coming in a full plus some TWO MINUTES UNDER your goal. AWESOME!
Nearly peed my pants at your first remark of "horses have big poop!" What a way to start the post!
Love ya girlfriend!
Great job, Sara! Guess what --- I've been soooo stressed lately, that when I got home from work last night, I put on my running shoes and ran to my mailbox and back. Now I know that sounds stupid, but my mailbox is almost a half a mile away, up hill and downhill, so for me ---who NEVER RUNS --- this was an accomplishment. I need to do it more often so I can get some stamina, huh?
You inspire me!
You deserve an Atta Girl. You are an inspiration.
Great job! But I'm still laughing at the horses have big poop thing!
Come to Vancouver Island in October for teh best 1/2 marathon around. Not too hot, not too hilly. Great job beating the 2 hour mark.
Hey! Congrats on finishing under 2 hours :) Thanks for stopping by my blog...yes, I am slowly driving myself crazy checking MckMama's blog for updates. I was out all morning running errands and all I could think of was getting home to check the blog!
congrats. a nine minute mile?!? umm yeah, i can maybe dream that!
Way to GO!!!!!!
congratulations! i'm feelin' like a big fat loser over here right now, being just so proud of my TWO miles! my triathlon is this weekend and i'm extremely nervous!!!!!
good for you, though! what an accomplishment. i'm sure it wasn't your first race and won't be your last. you are inspirational with your running endeavors!
See Sara?
See Sara Run?
See Sara Run for a really long time?
Go, Sara, Go!
Congrats!
(and I am totally digging the comment above mine :)
Starting off with "horses have big poop" cracked me up. Yes, they do. Though it's nice if you have a big field and just tell them to be discreet.
Too cool - all the support for moms running!
Great job! Hopefully you got a cool t-shirt for your efforts! ;-)
What a treat seeing you at the start...and from then on out all I saw was the dust from your heels! I finished in a very normal time for me...I was pleased with mine as well (a 10.4min/mile)...I was super comfortable and enjoyed every second of it!!!
Now...when's the next one you're doing? I am considering one in White Bear Lake on June 6th?
Wow, good for you! You're MY hero, too.
You are awesome! Great job.
Yay for you!! That's all well and good about running a 1/2 but I still want to see a picture of the Coach bag!! jk jk well, not really....I do! :) But I really am impressed.
Wow that is awesome! Congrats on your time too!
That is so cool! I wish I could run like that!
Ok, I've tried leaving a comment 3x's and blogger is messing with my mind. If you recieve multiple comments from me, please forgive me. I'm not completely psycho yet.
Great job on the run. I admire anyone who tackles a marathon or 1/2 marathon...whatever. I have a friends who runs all the time and she inspires me.
Your dad's comment was cute.
-FringeGirl
Wow, great job. I am so impressed! I doubt I could every run a marathon.
Good for you!! A 9 minute/mile average is FAB!
~Keri
Way to go!!!!
something for you at my blog today!
Congrats on finishing under 2 hours!
Oh, and you've been TAGGED! Head on over to my blog to see what for! :)
I am once amazed by your utter awesomeness. Honestly, it is why I hang out with you. I hope some of it will one day rub off on me.
-Francesca
You're a nut!!! I so dont get the running thing, but I love your passion for it. I personally one run if being chased by someone with a knife (a big knife), a car or maybe even a herd of buffalo. Other then that I would rather sit... lol
you go girl!!!Mandi @OWCBL
Congrats on such a great job!
I'm so behind on all my blog reading, so first things first - LOVE your new layout and new badge, which I will update on my blog. It's such a fun theme.
Now on to the 1/2 marathon. Congrats on the great finishing time!!! There is something about running with so many other people that gets the adrenaline pumping! And when I saw my kiddo toward the finish line, I started to get choked up. She was so excited to see me :) When I was running my 1/2, I say one sign on a stroller that read this:
Goo Goo Ga Ga
(Translation: Go Mama, Go)
How cute is that?
Post a Comment