I ran 16 miles today. Which, I also did on Monday. Only difference? 20 minutes and indoor vs. outdoor.
I ran 1.75 miles with Jazz, and then went out for 14.25 on my own. And yes, I made every mistake a runner can during that time.
- No gloves? Check
- Not enough food before hand? Check
-Wearing brand new shoes for the first time on a long run? Check
- Not enough Powerade yummy grape drink? Check
- Choose a hilly route? Check
- Make the last 4 miles facing into the wind? Check
Yes, I had decided to make it easy on myself. I was *not* happy with my time. I was averaging a 9-10.5 minute mile, which is a ways off my regular pace. I was mad at myself for not picking up the speed, not getting it done~ everything. I was thisclose to quitting several times. I questioned whether I could really run a marathon, yadda yadda (can you tell I get dramatic?)
Finally, though? I just laid off.
Because you know what?
o.h. w.e.l.l
So what if I didn't have the best running day? I learned lessons on the run, I pushed through, I even ate some snow from the ditch when I got super thirsty.
This run refreshed the memories of why I need to pay attention to the little things that make a long run go well. I did not prepare my body like I need to, and paid the price.
So, I am tired, but am actually glad that I had the run I did, because it taught me something. Now, let's just see if it actually makes it through this hard head!

14 comments:
Oh, yes. That many miles outside can eat you up and spit you out. Treadmills are so much easier. Boring, but easier.
As you know, I have been doing nothing but the treadmill since I have started back to this whole running thing. The gym I go to is only a mile away from our house, so I had hubby and Reagan drop me off today (so that Reagan could see the gym... she thinks I am going to her "gym"nastics class without her every time I would say I was going to the gym. She now understands the difference!) so I could walk home and do my cool down outside since it was a nice day today. (Meaning... not freezing, not snowing, not raining, not windy and the sun was shining) I did 2.5 miles on the treadmill, and then decided to head home. I walked not even a block before I decided that I needed to jog home. Oh Dear Lord, that was hard! I had forgotten how much of a difference there is between treadmill running and real outdoor running. My legs are screaming at me right now! I'm taking tomorrow off (well, I may go on a bike ride with the family) and then I'll be at it again on Monday. You are
Good for you! For the lessons you learned and for still doing it!
Wish I had that kind of motivation.
Wow. You rule. I am up to 2 miles outdoors. Think that is about as good as it gets around these parts! ha!
hehe... eating snow from the ditch...
These are the kinds of runs that make us better runners. You learn, you move on, you make different choices and you feel better about it next time. Good for you for sticking it through!
My 16 miler started out awful and I also needed to tell myself to chill so that I could let it just be whatever it was meant to. It got much better thereafter. :)
Do you use energy gels or anything during your runs? It makes a world of difference....
LOL, I hope you followed the snow rule and avoided the yellow stuff, he he!
So my legs are still sore after my first outside run of the season!! I am totally exhausted and was only able to sleep 4 hours today before going back to work tonight!! Thankfully I was able to be put on call so I can catch a few more zzzz's hopefuly! I don't think I am ready to run 2 days in a row yet!! Or maybe I am not ready to run after being awake for 24 hours??
Anyways, thanks for the company, it was fun to run with someone else and I totally know that I need to get outside WAY more before we do that 5K or I will totally bomb it:)
Whoa, snow from a ditch? You were really thirsty. Betcha won't make that mistake again!
Wow! I am so impressed by your running! I can't believe you ate snow in the ditch! So sorry you still have snow, I hope spring comes soon in your world. Have a great day!
Man, I wanted to make the yellow snow comment. Oh well. Good for you for sticking it out and learning. I guess that means you have some brains...tee hee.
I think you are awesome just for being able to run that much! I'm not a great runner but I am trying to get better about it! Love the snow in the ditch... that is priceless
Pretty rough on yourself Girl!
So uh.... if you run with ME, you'd then feel GREAT about yourself. ha ha ha
I'd be the one huffing, puffing, whining, crying, and panting along side you while grasping my chest and pushing out the words, "Can't breathe... must stop!"
I learned during my marathon training three years ago very quickly that some days are just bad running days, but there is always a good day just around the corner. My 20 mile long run day was AWFUL, and I was so worried I made a horrible decision signing up for a marathon. But it all worked out. The time goal you are setting for yourself is your personal goal. If you don't beat it, you might just beat yourself up, and there's no need to do that. So don't put undo pressure on yourself. Enjoy the runs :) Oh, and for me, I simply hate treadmill running, regardless of how hot or cold it is outside.
Post a Comment