I love running and edward cullen
I love training
I love the pain, sacrifice and all that goes along with running and training.
Right now? I am having a hard time, because my IT band on my right knee is still healing, so I can't run as much. Anything over 4 miles, and it starts to hurt. I don't want to push it, so I am taking some time off and going nuts doing so.
Therefore, if I cannot actually run, I can think about running, can't I? One thing on my mind is people and training. Keep in mind, this is my opinion, and certainly not the only opinion to have. Therefore, disclaimer done, I will say this.
It really bothers me when people sign up for a race and don't train.
I ran into several people like this on my marathon weekend. A family who grew up in the same town as Corey was there. They were 4 of them, all running the 1/2 marathon. Of the 4? The longest run any of them completed was 5.5 miles. Yes, 5.5 miles in preparation to run a 13.1 mile race.
They were nervous. They didn't know if they could make it, and they certainly didn't think they'd enjoy it.
Me? Nervous too. I didn't know if I could make it, but I knew I'd enjoy trying.
You see, to me? The race is the prize. It is the reward for all the early morning runs, the 20 mile training sessions, the guzzling of water, aches and pains. This is why I did it.
I'll never come in first. Hopefully, I won't come in last. But, I know that I trained, pushed my body, my mind and my limits for this reason.
And truly? At mile 17? I felt great! I was still excited and having a great time. I enjoyed every step I was able to go. Mile 24? Yes, my knee hurt like a #*$&#*, but I still felt good. I knew my training had paid off and I was going to make it.
I talked to one of the non-training guys at mile 8- he was miserable. I wanted to tell him that he didn't have to be. Train, and enjoy the run for what it is.
Okay. I am done with my soapbox.
Do you ever feel this way? Not even specifically about running, but about anything? Or is it me? Is this another one of my quirks?
By the way, thanks for sharing all your quirks with me. It is nice to know that I am not the only odd duck person with special traits out there!
28 comments:
I'm no longer a runner. And was never really a true, committed runner when I did run. But I understand where you're coming from. Who "runs" a half marathon and doesn't bother to train? Silly people!
I hate that your knee is still giving you trouble. I'm just now back to running. I did 2.25 miles throughout the neighborhood this evening, and (so far) my foot is not hurting. Thank goodness for small blessings because like you said, I was starting to lose my freakin' mind without being able to run! I may still have to use orthotics to continue seriously running, but I will do whatever it takes!
BTW... I still need to know what you use for your iPhone when running. My arm is once again raw from my stupid arm band!
Train away lady!! And take me with you:) Thanks for the run tonight. I am SO excited I did 4 miles without stopping!!! Now if I could only run faster than a hippo.......
I like the IDEA of running. I don't like to actually run.
Hmmmm, I have no quirks that require physical pain. Let's see, if ya dare me, I'll do just about anything! But don't dare me to do anything stupid, cuz I'm so stupid, I just might try it. And now that I've told you this...
Oh crud. I'm doomed.
Goodnight Sara.
{Opens mouth - removes foot!}
Hey, we were commenting on each other's blogs at the same time!
I hit 'send' just as my alert came in that you'd just commented for me.
Okay, putting other foot in mouth to shut myself up now.
Bye!
And a 3rd comment really shouldn't surprise you. I have C.C.D., remember? Don't know what that is? Oh boy!
Sara..you go girl!! That is awesome!!
I have a friend who is now an official "Iron Man" and I trip out on his Facebook status'. He'll write stuff like, "Jerl just did my 90 mile bike, and now I'm off to go swim in the ocean." I'm always like, "OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!" And mind you, this is in the Northern California ocean where it's freezing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But, I think that's awesome, Sara! It really takes self motivation and will to keep on going when it's easy to stop!!
I totally know what you are talking about. When I ran a half marathon last year I saw people huffing and puffing and limping around the 4 mile mark! Seriously! It is dangerous to attempt a long run without proper training! AND a lot of people who do this also have no clue as to the etiquitte of a road race...you know, they stop in the middle, don't move over so someone else can pass, think that they need to take a gel pack at EVERY single water station...
I wish I could be as committed as you are! I still can't believe I walked 5 miles at one time and think I burnt myself out just that week.
I need to figure out how to get your love of running to rub off on me. It is like torture for me to do the 3-4 miles I do every day. And not just when I'm pregnant either. I feel like I am counting down to the end. I really wish I loved it because I know it is so good for me. How did you get in to it?
I agree! I was mad at the girl I ran with because she didn't train and did the full marathon and finished before me. The justice... she couldn't walk for 3 weeks because of stress fractures.
But about the IT band - have you tried deep water running? I had to do that for a few weeks. It sounds lame, but it worked well...
Thanks for keeping me laughing!!
Kristin
In my opinion it's just stupid not to train for a race with that many miles! Hello? You are just going to end up hurt and disappointed in yourself. Hell I train for 5K...speed more or less but still train. :)
Hope you heal fast and can get more miles in. Take it easy and don't go too stir crazy. XOXO
How could you not train for something like that?! I totally trained for my half. And I can tell you---I HATED it! But, I had still trained. I had the energy and stamina I needed to complete it-and in my goal time. I still hated it---and don't plan on doing anything more than 10K now...but I was prepared and I know I didn't hate it cuz I wasn't ready.
I am not a runner anymore. I use to love it but my knees were acting out. Now I just walk. Or try to. Have a great weeekend.
My husband and I tried to get the dog to run last night, to tire it out. Which required me to 'run' a few steps to get him to chase me, then he would run after my husband [and back and forth]. I had to run the outside length of my house (like 60 feet) so he would come around the back. Um yeah, totally winded me. I am a wuss. FYI I would never run a marathon. Props to you, for training and doing it.
ohhh how I wish I could say that I loved to exercise. You are my hero
If people don't train and they have horribly painful races, that's on them. It doesn't bug me cause they kind of deserve it.
However, if they don't train AND beat my time and feel comfy the whole time? That just pisses me off! :)
i secretly wish one day i can do a half marathon. i cant even finish 2 miles right now, though. i have increased my distance from when i first started!! yay!! maybe by next year or the following i will be posting about my huge accomplishment.
I know I'm a broken record, but your posts really make me laugh, I get so excited when I see you have a new one posted. :) And, you totally need to go buy that Starbucks cup! And did you know that today is 'Doughnut Day'!
I totally understand you. If you want to be good at anything in life you have to work at it. Running, Singing, Blogging, and the list goes on and on. If you don't enjoy the work and then stop. This activity is no for you.
I so agree with you. I hate when people half do things. I say go 110% if you don't do that don't do it all. Because there is always someone out there that either wants or can do it better. I hope that you will be able to run again soon.
Have a great day!
Here is what irks me. I live in a town that is a major tourist attraction because of the water features. I've blogged about our rivers and I don't want to say what else is in our town because it would reveal to much to the axe murderer lurking outside waiting for us all to go to sleep, but let me just say that when you live in my town you MUST know how to swim. I have seen grown men, women, children, and teenagers pulled out of the water and they did not make it. What irks me is how many friends and random people I know who DON'T force their children to learn how to swim. I just don't get it. I even try to offer my advice as "a local who has lived here all her life" and they just look at me and shrug their shoulders. I mean really- how much common sense does it take to sign your kid up for lessons and practice with them until they are swimming without aid?
I think I broke (?my diagnosis?) my toe running into our mini trampolie yesterday. It's purple, hurt, and swollen.....so I didn't get to run or shred today. Very sad. The thought of putting a shoe over that toe made me even sadder. I am growing up though....in years past I would have laced up and not cared. Now I know that if I do that things maybe worse later on.
So how long does it take a toe to heal? I'm OK with missing a day....but two? Just kidding. I'll see how she looks tomorrow.
I love each and every one of your quirks. How could you be the Sara that I adore without them?
I must agree with you, though. If you do not properly prepare for something, it ain't gonna work that well. This probably applies to most things in life, no?
Oh, and did you ever see the Tweet I sent you re your last post. No more eyeball pics from me. I swear! Just good, clean, wholesome blog fun.
I can't go alienating my blog sistah again. :)
-Francesca
Sorry, you mentioned Edward Cullen? I didn't read anything after that...
And for the record have you heard that boy sing? (I say boy because I looked up how old Rob Pattinson is, he's 23, that's like a baby to me)
Good God has he got a voice!
Ah Edward...I mean running. My DH did the Boston Marathon a few years ago. He used to run all the time, but meeting me put a squash on that. He ran Boston without much training at all, and really regretted it. He is planning a mud run in the Fall, and I am begging him to start now.
I love running, but it's so hard for me to get the ambition to start. But afterward I'm always glad I did it!
Post a Comment