8.13.2009

The Plan

{Beginning note which has nada to do with the actual post. Thank you for your kind words. I was truly having a hard time posting until I shared the earlier post. As much as I am free to post what I want from my personal life on here, it felt weird not sharing something that was affecting my life so much with all of you. Thank you for sitting tight through it!}

So tonighttwo nights ago, because this post is long and took me time to finish, Corey was over at a friends house cutting wood for projects. Apparently our table saw is not good enough and I refuse to spend $1000 on the one he wants (to use twice a year.) Anyway..this left the boys and I alone at home. It was nearing dark. Twilight, you'd say. I looked over at the sunroom door, and noticed it was unlocked. From yesterday. Yes. I went to bed last night, with the fan on, with an unlocked door.
And? If you've read this blog for more than 3 weeks, you'd know I am scared of many things like, ax murderers, snakes, spiders, skunks, bears, bats, big dogs, carnies, falling off cliffs, being bitten by fish, and having my iphone stolen.
So, having my door unlocked was a clear reason for panic. Now, I hadn't had any situations like Ace, or any real reason to panic, but still.
I asked Elijah to lock the door he'd left unlocked, so no strangers could come in the house.
Asher: Who coming in our house mama?
Me: Nobody sweetie, mommy is just being safe
Asher: Why is Nobody coming in our house? Is it a monster?
Me: No, no monsters. Remember monsters are not real?
Asher: I want my daddy.
So, I spent the rest of the night convincing the boys we were just fine. They spent the rest of the night asking for daddy. What they don't know is this:
I have an action plan for situations such as intrusions by Ax Murderers and such. Daddy? When I wake him up in the middle of the night to listen to a strange sound? He rolls his eyes and tells me to go back to bed. Bad plan.
Which parent would you rather have home in this situation?
Thought so.
My plan? Involves: {side note: I'd like to thank Scaredy Squirrel for his excellent drawings which have proved invaluable in me develop my plan. I love that squirrel.}
Cell Phone Ninja skillz
Land line Baseball bats
Alarm system Frying pan
and a big jar of peanut butter
Here is my plan: (See, it is even titled, "The Plan")

While it may not be as involved as Scaredy Squirrels, it does give me peace that if anything happens, or I hear sounds at night like Ace, I have a plan. Besides, who doesn't want peanut butter by their bed in case of a hunger attack at midnight?
Also, when I was at my parents this weekend, feeding their dogs? A truck pulled in and went behind their shed. I was pretty freaked. I called my dad to see if the truck was supposed to be there. Luckily for those men, they were. You know, in case I had to use Plan K(ickbutt) My dad asked if I went to see who they were. Seriously. I was like, "Um dad, what if they shoot me between the eyes?" He was all like, "I don't think they will. I think it is your uncle."

So...what is your plan in these situations? It should always involve food, as it is good to have something on hand to eat after a stressful situation. Trust me and my thighs

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok my plan would be=peacefully asleep= ax murder wakes me up by my dog barking because he's in my room=spray Raid in his eyes, put him down CPI method (as trained by my psychiatric facility) call police, inject him with a tranqualizer such as haldol mixed with Ativan so that he doesn't try to attack again, of course injectable will always be on my bedside, grab kids and run out of the house!

Theta Mom said...

I don't have a plan, maybe I should follow your lead and come up with a cool one like you, especially with those mad ninja skillz and all! LOL
I love the artistry in the right hand column and the precise words, "Plan is engaged. Call Police." Too funny!

Erin said...

I like the part when you give interviews to GMA!!!

Unknown said...

You are so funny, I love that you have a "plan" even more so that you wrote and drew it out.

Jenn said...

I totally make up escape plans. I've never written them down before, though. Perhaps I should. Then we could do axe-murderer drills.

Maybe not. The drills might produce offsprings as paranoid as me. I am who am I am today thanks to school fire drills and tornado drills (you know, for all those tornados you hear about in Ontario...we had that one that one time.)

I totally thought of you and your axe-murderer fears when I was home alone one night last week, and was convinced there was someone on our deck. :)

Staci said...

I don't really have a plan but you have inspired me. First, I need to sign up for those Ninja classes, buy some mace, I just bought a new jar of peanut butter so that's good. Oh yeah, where did I put that bat?

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i'm dying here!!! you and jen from buried with children today and the ax murders!!

i'm a weiny, so i totally feel you...

King J's Queen said...

Okay...here's the deal...

I would grab the cordless phone from our room. I would run to the kiddos' room & close the door. Then, I would shove their big, heavy wood bunkbed in front of said door. Next, I'd call 911...and then I'd wait, near the window, cuz the ax murderer might decide to burn down the house with us in it and we'd need to climb out their window onto the porch roof. See, I've got it all figured out.

Now, for real, I DID have an intruder in my home when I was a teenager. I hid in my parent's bedroom, since I didn't have a phone and cordless phones were relatively rare. I called 911 and proceeded to move heavy furniture against the door. Then, I hid in the closet until the police came. He must have heard all the commotion, b/c he was gone when the police arrived. The door was open, but he was gone.

Anonymous said...

I have plans in my head....but none written down....I love your PB at the end....could I have some vanilla wafers with that too? Might be a bit much huh? Take Care

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Your plan is almost the same as mine. I keep the cell and landline next to the bed when hubby is out of town. I really should keep it there all the time. I'm adding the peanut butter to my plan too.

Heather said...

I LOVE your drawing of "The Plan." Multi-colored markers and everything. Are you a teacher? :) Axe murderers better think twice about taking you on! :)

Jenni said...

That is a high quality plan if I ever I've seen one!

I don't have one...I guess I better get on that!

Kelli said...

During my insanity last week, I missed your previous post. Sorry, I (stupidly) feel like I left your blog hanging.
I always feel a bit guilty when I encourage people to stop talking to their parents. But here's the deal, do you remember a time (way before us) when it was OK for a husband to beat his wife. And she was not to question it? That was an acceptable aspect of the relationship. After a while, people started to think, 'Hmm, maybe that's not ok.'
Well, for some reason, people think it's OK to let your parents walk all over you. I mean, they made you, right? I mean if I made a drawing, I can rip it up if i choose.
No. I'm sorry that's not OK. This is how I draw my line. If my mother was simply a friend or a co-worker, would I let her treat me like that? No. I would not let a co-worker make comments on my weight. Would I let a friend abuse me over and over and over without saying something? No. I know she is my mother, and you yours, but just because they birthed us, does not give them the divine right to treat us like shit. I am sorry.
I think you did the right thing [based on the information you gave].
For me, it's been 2 1/2 years since I spoke to my mother. And they have coincided with 2 of the hardest years of my life. And I know that if she were involved, they would have been even worse. For me, ending the relationship completely was the right thing. For you, I don't know.
Sorry this is so long, I probably should have emailed. BTW, your plan is a riot!

Kameron said...

Thanks for making me die laughing right now. I have had a pretty annoying start to my Monday morning and needed a laugh. Not that I'm laughing AT you, per say, I am more laughing because of you!!

Barbaloot said...

What happens if you only club him six times instead of seven?

Foursons said...

Bahahahaha! Only a teacher can write in straight lines with such perfect handwriting on a white board.

But seriously, always good to have a plan! (And to instill your fears on your children. Seriously.)

E @ Scottsville said...

Well, seeing as how I'm never scared, feel way too safe and secure, I really don't have a "plan" set into place.

I guess my plan will be grab the nearest GUN and point it at him. It won't be loaded, but he won't know that! I've got lots of kids, so I'll send them at his ankles, while I hold a gun on him and call the police!

and if worse comes to worse, I'll use my deadly elbows on him. Trust me, these things hurt! =0)

Kathy B! said...

My plan is to run around screaming like a gilr and the go all Ninja on the scary guys.

Your plan is much better! I never thought to include food :)

susan said...

you make me laugh so much!!! i love your posts.

by the way, i just started an exercise program today. it really kicked my butt. thought you might be interested.

i bought jillian michaels' 30 day shred. i only did the level one and followed the beginner girl and i was exhausted. it is only 20 min. every day. i am sore already.

Kaci said...

I like the eat PB while rocking back and forth...kinda like Emily Rose but with PB! :) Ever seen Emily Rose movie...don't it'll freak you out. I still have nightmares.

Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} said...

I love the drawing. You are so hilarious! I especially love that you specify how many times you club him with the baseball bat... not 6 not 8 but 7.

I'm sure you have your interviews with GMA and the local news all prepared as well :)

I'm glad you are so well prepared.

Kristina P. said...

My husband is a second degree blackbelt, and has a concealed weapons permit, so we have a gun under the bed.

One night, we heard this loud noise. And guess who he made check it out?!?! It ended up being a large picture had fallen off the wall, but really?!?!

honeypiehorse said...

The best plans start on white boards. Nice job. You are so prepared to attack your uncle when he breaks in.

Jen said...

I like your plan. I need a plan. 'Cause I have been scare by 'axe murders' too many time. (hint read my post from today. ;))

peewee said...

Grab my dogs. Grab as many shoes as possible....and I'm OUTTA THERE!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have ven thought about a plan. I'm on the first floor and the kids are upstairs. Crap, it could go either way.

And I just had a chance to read your last post - You are worth being kind to, you are worth being treated with respect, you are worth being treated like the wonderful person you ARE.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Amy said...

This is so funny... I love it... You always make my day and give me a smile....

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Your plan is awesome!

I don't have a plan, I just panic...I need to get it together.

I would of freaked out about the truck as well.

Two years ago, there was a guy on the lose here who and killed a couple in their farmhouse. Very random...he just walked in off the road and killed them. I was sure he was headed right to my house next. Logic was completely gone!!

Meeko Fabulous said...

I shouldn't have read this post . . . alone at home . . . and it's dark outside . . . i'm clutching my cell phone in case I need to call the authorities for help.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

OMG, girl, you crack me up! Love your plan! I sleep with a metal bat under my bed (within arms reach, of course) and my cell phone is always next to me. I also have a giant dog and very loud chihuahua for extra assurance. Somehow, I still find myself worrying about ax murderers, though.

heidi said...

OMGosh - HA! That is FUNNY! Can you work up a fire escpae plan for us because that's one thing that fuh-reaks me out.

Michelle said...

Hahahahah! Thank you for making me laugh at the end of a very long work day :)... "I think it's your uncle".... hahahaha

Stephanie said...

LOL'
How did I miss this post until today!
My plan, although not nearly as detailed as yours does include locking baby gates at the top of the stairs. (because clearly bad guys don't know how to get around those) and the use of baseball bats, cell phones, landlines and much screaming.
Be SAFE!

Holly said...

After tonight's show about alien abductions, I think I need a plan against the aliens. I really hadn't thought about it before. Do you think peanut butter will scare them off?

~*Michelle*~ said...

Ugh....I feel like such a slacker not having a plan now. Our only plan is relying on our 120 lb Rottweiler and then Plan B is my husbands .40 cal pistol. eek.

(remember, we are country folk, yeehaw)

OH, and I didn't catch your earlier post until today.....I have a mom who can be toxic too (not like you described, but I know the crippling effect it can have on you)....I am not sure if you caught my post on "Call Poison Control" about toxic people but many people commented/emailed me and brought comfort too.....we are so blessed by being surrounded by caring/loving people aren't we?

Ace said...

How did I miss this post???

Nope, no plan. You'd think I would after being completely scared to death but even thinking about that night totally shuts my brain off and I can't think!

Counselormama said...

I love this plan! You are such a teacher with this chart, ha ha! Missed reading your posts, but think I am back in the game!

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

I get freaked out even thinking about what I would do! But I love the fact that you have even drawn out a diagram for you!