Last night as I was lying in bed, I heard a noise. You know how I am about noises, so I waited for a 23.7 seconds a few minutes and woke my husband. "Hon, do you hear that noise? What is it?" He actually listened! Then? He even decided to get up and investigate, which sent me into a panic. Usually he just tells me to go back to bed.He investigates.Comes back in.
"I can't tell if it is an animal or a person."
Fabulous.
Then he decides it is coming from the attic. There must be a mouse or something in the attic.
That is, until I walk by the vent in our room and hear the noise. It was in our vent. Now, this came as a relief because
a) it had to be small and light enough to fit in our ductwork
b) things that are small and light enough to fit in ductwork usually do not carry axes
However, it also means we have a mouse stuck in our ductwork. Why?
a) we live in a 30 year old house that is probably not air/mousetight in all areas
b) we are remodeling/moving walls/leaving doors open at times and the mouse scampered in.
Hubs Great Idea? Stick my hand down the vent in the wall to set a mousetrap.
Being the dutiful wife I am, I did it.
5 times
Set the trap, go lay back down, hear the trap go off, go check it, nothing, set it again, lay in bed...over and over. Peppered with Corey's comments, "I don't want it to die in there. If it dies in there, it will stink. Remember in high school, when that mouse crawled up into your old car and died?"
{Yes, very well in fact, it was a horrible stench. My dad ended up opening all the doors and running the heat on high for 2 hours trying to roast the body.}
Finally, at 3:36 a.m., with both of us sitting there, staring down the hole with a flashlight? Mr. Mouse comes and walks into view. Cute little bugger. We watched him scurry around trying to get out for a few minutes when my hubby comes up with Great Idea #2 of the night.
"Why don't you stick your hand down there and try to catch him."
Sure babe, that sounds like a great plan. I'll just grab him. Maybe we after he bites me, gives me rabies and I have to go to the doctor and get all sorts of shots and tests and maybe even hospitalized for weeks eating bad hospital food and go rabid and stuff, we can keep him as a family pet.
My Great Idea? Construct a ramp using wood to allow the mouse to scurry up. At the top of the ramp will be the mouse trap. The mouse, being hungry after his long night of driving me nuts running back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, through the duct, will stop for a snack of peanut butter {I know, I almost licked the stuff of the trap myself} and BAM! We've caught the mouse.
{and I don't even get paid for a brain like this}
Corey's thought? Go buy another trap in the morning and repeat the process. Dork.
So we finally, at 4:24 ended up back in bed.
Corey, "I hope he doesn't die in the vent and stink."
"Well, follow my plan and he won't. By the way, do you think mice have eyelids? I mean, his eyes were pretty big, but I didn't notice any eyelids."
"I am pretty sure he does babe, after all, when they are dead, their eyes are shut."
"I see."
Right now? Guess what has been constructed and is currently in place down the hole? That's right. We'll see who is smarter now.

And this? My arm. Full of bruises from jamming my arm down a vent.
46 comments:
You are a rock star Sara!! Why was darling dearest NOT the one sticking his hand down trying to snatch the mouse??? That is mans work if you ask me!
Oh, yuck. I HATE mice. We live near a big field and occasionally one make it's way into our home. I hope you catch it soon! :)
I just got chills! Mice freak me out!!
I agree. All rodent related jobs are boy jobs. No question. I would not have been found anywhere near that vent--brave woman, you. :)
You stuck your hand down there? You are much braver than you give yourself credit for. I think I'd pick axe-weilding crazies over sticking my arm where a mice lives.
yes rodent, reptile, bugs are BOYS jobs...make him do it!!! LOL
I can NOT believe you stuck your arm into a hole where you KNEW there was a creature!! He is SO LUCKY to be married to you!!
I would never ever stick my hand down a vent! Look at your poor arm! I hope your method works.
Use a pecan instead of peanut butter. You are a brave woman to stick your arm down the vent!
i can't believe you weren't scared that it was a ghost in your vent...
sorry.
:-)
ok.. i agree with jazzy. why were YOU the one with your arm down the vent?! man i hope you catch it! and btw, the car story had me laughin out loud!
Wow, you were much braver than me. I HATE mice. I would not knowingly go near one or put my hand in the crevice that it is in. We just use good old fashion decon and take our chances that they won't die in the walls and cause a horrible smell. So far we saw evidence of mice over a week period, put out decon, haven't seen any more evidence. If only it were so easy to get rid of ants...
OK, now I'm laughing at you. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! That is hilarious!! I remember a mouse running alond my bedroom wall when I was a teen. I totally freaked. You couldn't pay me enough to stick my hand down a duct to put a trap in it. You are one brave lady. Except when it comes to ax murderers. :) Hurry up and get the remodel done so you don't have to have anymore "guests."
Why couldn't HE stick his arm in the vent and grab it? Just sayin.
hahaha that is a hilarious story. you ARE smarter than the mouse. Here's hoping your big plan works!!!!
Ouch! You should see the T-Rex trap my friends are using to get rid of rats in their base housing in Hawaii. Apparently they ate through the peanut container. The t-rex was most appropriate.
Oh that story has tears running down to my chin! You guys sound just like me and my hubs going back and forth with who has the best idea......just wait until one runs up your fully decorated Christmas tree....yep....just picture that in your pretty lil head for a moment!
Seriously? you seriously stuck your arm/hand in there all those times to set the trap? how did you know the mouse wasn't right there waiting to bite you are scurry out and into your bed while you were busy setting a trap?
i am not a rock star like you. I wouldn't have done it. i commend you for your awesomeness!
hope your plan works!
Oh no! I posted a few weeks ago about our own mouse problem. Well, I thought it was a mouse problem (as in ONE mouse). Turns out, he had a buddy...
http://littlehandsbigblessings.blogspot.com/2009/08/not-me-monday-of-mice-and-men.html
why do you have to be the one who puts their hand in there!!!! Ewww!
I hope it doesn't die too...stinky!
And just when I was looking for an update on your remodeling project-ta-dah! Thanks! :)~
Girl, you are brave! I would NEVER stick my hand anywhere that had possible rodents!!!
Maybe you could pad his little apartment with some duct tape...upside down, of course. Then, you'd catch him before he dies and wouldn't have to worry about him stinking up the place.
FWIW, we had an opossum die in our crawl space, right under the front door. PEEUUUUU!
Ouch. One year we had a mouse that likes the vent on the side of my bed and would chew and be so loud. We would set traps and finally we got it.
Too funny!
Yowch on the bruise though....I think your hubby should take you out for a little extra treat tonight.
Those little buggers are smart. I swear one got in our pantry for a week straight and started to get spoiled when he decided which granola bars he liked best and started turning his little pink nose up the others.
xox
That's funny stuff. Sound like me. I always come up with a 'plan' that hubs thinks is stupid, but always end up being done.
"things that are small and light enough to fit in ductwork usually do not carry axes" - so funny!
hope it goes well tonight!
you are a brave one!!! I would NOT , repeat NOT stick my arm in a vent that may or may not contain a mouse...just sayin'
you're my hero
You are braver than me. I would have screamed, screamed again and then demanded HE remove it or I would be removing myself to nearest Hilton till Mr Mouse vacated the premises.
We just killed our 3rd mouse in about 6 weeks...in our PANTRY!!! I can't find where they are coming in. I have washed the cans in our pantry and thrown stuff out so many times. It just grosses me out! Peanut butter is what we put on our trap, too.
ick! i hate mice! they are cute and all, but they run amuck in the nastiest areas! good luck tonight with that whole thing...i hope you get some sleep. take care of that arm and if you had to go to the hospital to get a shot from the mouse biting you, the Dr.'s might be a little mysterious about those bruises on your arm!!!
i'm crackin' up trying to picture you doing all this early in the morning. how funny, although i suppose it wasn't at the time, when you'd rather be asleep! and the car story---sooooo HILARIOUS!
Oh yikes! I once dealt with a mouse ... all by myself because my pilot husband was off on a four-day trip ... it was just awful. After spotting him in the family room, I trapped him in the closet by pushing a box in front of the space at the bottom. Then that darn critter followed me up 36 steps to the third floor of our townhouse - like he wanted to be friends or something! I had to stuff towels and dresser drawers in from of the door to make sure he couldn't get in just so I could get some sleep ... I didn't care if he died and stunk up the place - as long as he was no where near me!
Oh my goodness! You're not scaredy cat if you're cramming your arm down that vent. Dang, Sara! You'd better keep us posted and let us know if you catch him! Did you ever notice that the first three letters of 'catch' spells CAT?
nevermind.
Seriously you are ballsy! LOL! I saw the pic before reading the story in its entirety and I thought you had gotten bitten!
There is NO WAY I would have stuck my arm down the vent. Not for all the money in the world. Well, maybe for all the money in the world but never for a million dollars. Well, maybe for a million but 100,000 I'm out. Definitely.
We had a mouse and caught him by setting up a ramp! We put a big glob of peanut butter at the end and he walked right into a big box and then was taken outside.
But, I digress. I friggin' hate mice.
OMG! Seriously, you are a rockstar. BTW, you are so much so, that I've given you an award on my blog. :) Yay!
Ouch, your poor arm.
There is no way I'd have stuck my hand in a vent. I've seen enough horror movies where I know this will cause my arm to be sliced off or biten by a deadly animal..
While a mouse is better than a big scary man.....still, ick!
Ouch!
Ouch! Peanut butter baby - put it on the mouse trap!
Good luck!
Why not call an exterminator? Picking them off one by one won't work.
He will not be able to resist the power of Peanut Butter! MUAH HA HA!!!
Why is it that the WIFE always ends up doing the dirty work?
Sara...make him put his hand down the vent next time! I love this story though! You made my evening, and at least it was a mouse and not a rat!
I can't believe you thought he was cute!!
LOL, I see you caught him good job! I had a mouse, rather rat issue in my van vent/ducts once he chewed through the wall and actually got in my van and chewed up seats and seatbelts.. I put 6 blocks of poison in spots under the seats he hate every last one of them.. never seen him again lol.
Post a Comment