10.04.2009

TC Marathon

Yay! I finished my second marathon (in 4 1/2 months..am I nuts? Don'tanswerthat) today! I did the Twin Cities Marathon- and it was awesome. Yes, I did just say it was awesome running 26.2 miles, but I'm all nuts like that.
Seriously, I am beyond elated right now. After my last marathon, if you remember correctly, because you know each and every detail of my life and never forget, right? Um, ok, I'll recap then. I hurt my IT band pretty bad. It started to hurt pretty badly around mile 19 and was downright miserable by mile 21. I was in tears at a few points along the way. My training for this marathon was pretty sporadic, with the injury and the house remodel.
I was hoping that I could start out with the 4:30 pace group and stick with them as long as I could, then drop back if I needed to. My goal was to stick with them until at least the 13.1 mile mark.
My goals?
- Make it to mile 18 or so if I could without major knee pain. I was not going to finish if it hurt as badly as last time- besides, the rehab was a major pain.
-Finish in 5 hours if possible

I started the race behind the 4:30 group, and could see them most of the time, but never caught up with them. Around mile 12, I caught up and ran with them for 4 miles. Then? At mile 15, I was feeling really good, and I took off. I ran ahead and felt awesome the rest of the time. The last mile, I was passing people left and right, because I was tired and wanted my Salted Nut Roll at the end. I finished in 4:24:03, which was a full 13 minutes of my last marathon! Yippee and stuff! (that is pretty good for me, I mean, my strategy is to start slow and slow down from there)

It was seriously like a 26.2 mile party. There were bands, spectators, oddly dressed people... they had it all. I ran with a guy wearing a business suit for a couple of miles, passed a man wearing full army fatigues, including a 50 lb backpack, saw a few nuns, and a girl dressed up like a pumpkin. There was even a guy who, no lie, had calves that were bigger than his thighs. Pretty creepy. The spectators made every mile worth it, and it was an amazing experience. Best of all- NO knee pain! I finished, showered and stopped at a pet store, Target (duh), came home and did laundry, cleaned, played with the boys, made dinner, grocery shopped...no pain! Tomorrow? Probably will be immobile. Right now? Heading there. I'm officially exhausted. Good night!
post signature

56 comments:

Karen said...

Hi! Long time lurker/follower and first time commenter!
WTG GIRL!!!!

You rocked and I am happy to encourage you from now on!

Anonymous said...

woot-woot!!!! congratulations, Sara! that is so awesome! you are my running hero...seems how I can't make it past mile 2 on the treadmill these days!
way to go!!!

Elyse said...

YAHOO Sara!!! You inspire me woman! WoW...what an accomplishment!
~Elyse

Barbaloot said...

You're AMAZING! Congrats. I'm so glad it was a good experience for you.

KK said...

YOU ARE A ROCK STAR!

erin said...

i am SO proud of you! SOOOO proud that i'd send you a jar of peanut butter if i knew your address! :-)

and i just have to say, way to be superwoman today and make the rest of us look bad! seriously, a marathon and laundry and shopping and DINNER?! i didn't even do that!

Cass said...

Congratulations Sara! I run my first 5K in 2 weeks. I hope to have a marathon accomplished by this time next year. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

Cass

Brooke said...

Congrats! That's awesome. I so want to get back into running again.

The Dental Maven said...

You GO Girl! Glad your knee complied.

The Stiffs said...

You GO! Proud of you and I plan on living vicariously through your personal accomplishments.

Ace said...

YAY for another 26.2 miles and for no pain!

Mrs. M said...

Congrats!!! That is awesome!!

Unknown said...

YEAH YOU!!! What a rock star!

Foursons said...

I admit it. When you said you ran another marathon I was a bit skeptical. There hasn't been much talk of training or how your knee was feeling. But wow! You did great and I'm so happy for you! Even better is that your knee is well!

Congrats!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Congratulations! Way to go!

Mayhem and Moxie said...

Congratulations, congratulations, Sara! Your commitment to running has long amazed me. Another marathon in less than 4 months? WOW!!

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for a pain-free Monday. :)

-Francesca

Trish said...

2 words for ya....

YOU ROCK!!!!!!!

"Cookie" said...

Yay for you!!!! You are awesome. :)

And yes, we are going to find out what that baby is....Nov 17th is my ultra sound.

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

That is awesome!!!! Good job. I can't even imagine doing that. Wii active kicks my butt. They'd be calling EMS on me. Hope you're not suffering all day Monday.

Annsterw said...

WOW!!!!! Congrats on that!!!! That is really awesome - I love the with running we compete against ourselves!! YOU ARE AWESOME!!! I quit smoking and started running two years ago and have only attempted a 10K (that was monumental for me) - I can only hope to someday feel what you are feeling right now!!! CONGRTS!!!!!

Jenn said...

WOW! Good for you. I'm working my way up to a 5k...my brain can't even fathom a marathon.

Jen said...

that is awesome. good for you!

Meeko Fabulous said...

Hold the effing phone . . . You mean to tell me you ran 26 miles and still went home and did stuff around the house??? Ummm . . . No! You should have sat down for a celebratory PB & J sandwich. :)

Tracie said...

Congrats on your achievements! You rock!

~*Michelle*~ said...

ROCK ON!

the fact that you didn't turn into a pile of dust after 26+ miles and then proceeded to go out and run errands, bumps you up on my Top Ten insanely physically fit people.

with that said, I recently started the 30 Day Shred again.....and stupidly jumped into Level 3, all full force.....yeah, I'm crippled. Let's just say that I am thankful for hand rails and the toilet paper holder these past few days

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Awesome job. You rock!

honeypiehorse said...

Congratulations! I'm totally impressed.

Liz Mays said...

FANTASTIC! You are amazing! I can't believe you got all of that accomplished after the race too.

E @ Scottsville said...

Oh Sara, I'm so glad you did it and did it WELL!!! You go girl! You are my hero.

If you ever met me in real life, you'd be trying to get me in shape. I'm puney!!!

ha ha ha

Happy Monday to you and hope you're not hurtin' too bad today!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! What a beautiful day for a race...and what a wonderful race you had!

Tina said...

Girl! You are amazing! Congrats on your second marathon! I just did a relay in the Akron Marathon 2 weeks ago. Hubs keeps telling me to go for a full marathon...don't know about that one.
You rock! Great time - I am utterly impressed. If we lived close to one another, I would hire you to run with me!

Miller Racing Family said...

What a great job. I can't believe you got any training in with the busy summer you had. I was so impressed by your time and the fact that you didn't just crash right after the race. We will call you super mom/runner!

Helene said...

26 miles???? Are you serious? Wow...simply wow!!

Sounds like you ran into (no pun intended...haha) some "interesting" people while out there. At least you were entertained while you ran!!

Congratulations!

Debbie said...

So, if you read my recent post on how I don't even understand exercise, I'm sure you won't expect a great comment! However, I do know enough to be very impressed. Good for you.

Roxy said...

ROCK ON!!! Way to INSPIRE!
My first HALF marathron is this SUNDAY...YIKES!!!
Maybe if I can get this under the belt I'll try for a FULL in the spring!

Roxy said...

ROCK ON!!! Way to INSPIRE!
My first HALF marathron is this SUNDAY...YIKES!!!
Maybe if I can get this under the belt I'll try for a FULL in the spring!

Heather said...

way to go with your time! 13 minutes less than last time. that's great!

and yeah, way to put the rest of us to shame... run marathon, check... laundry, check... make dinner, check... you're amazing! glad it went well.

Dakermom said...

Hey, new visitor here! Love your blog design, I'm going to have to track one of these people down to do one for me, I'm soo not techy enough to do it myself. And Holy marathons!! I am amazed that people can run 26 miles at one time! I can barely do two without wanting to hurl. I have NO idea how you do it, and how you actually enjoy it!!! Wow!

Jennifer said...

Two words: Super. Hero.

!!! 26+ miles?!!! Woman, I need a nap now. LOL! Congratulations!!!

susan said...

you are awesome!!! i love when you surpass all the goals you have set for yourself. it feels so good. congrats. i hope you are not feeling too sore today.

Staci said...

Awesome job on the marathon Sara! WOOHOO :) Hope you didn't feel too bad the next day. Thanks for commenting on my blog. Our mission to move Lucy into the big girl bed at night has crashed and burned. She will take her naps in there no problem but night time is another matter entirely! Last night she made in 10 minutes and asked to go back in her crib...UGH!

King J's Queen said...

I'd have loved to have been on the sidelines cheering you on! That is just totally awesome! I hope you are rightfully proud of your accomplishments. Great Goo-ga-moolie...I can't imagine running 26 miles (twice).

Theta Mom said...

Ok, for that, you've officially earned the title ROCK STAR! Awesome!

Nicole said...

Wow 26.2 is awesome!! Congrats on finishing the marathon! A co worker of mine is doing the big one in NYC 26 miles in November, I'll be there to watch! lol:)

Amanda said...

I came here ready to like you but now I find that I dislike you immensely.

Really?

A 26.2 mile party?? Might I know thee address so that I may smack thee upside thee head?

Ah, I kid.

Well done girl. That is a HUGE accomplishment.:)

Blessings-
Amanda

AiringMyLaundry said...

Wow, I am IMPRESSED. And yes, that's capitalized on purpose because I am really, really impressed :)

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

You are AMAZING! I've missed you... but I promise I'm coming back soon! And I am LOVING the new look that has taken place since I've been away!

amanda said...

great job! i can't believe it. i couldn't run .262 miles. much less 26.2. :0)

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Congrats, you go girl!!

Dakermom said...

You have an award at my blog... http://www.dakermom.blogspot.com
Stop by to get it!!!

Counselormama said...

You are amazing! I am so inspired! I think I rock if I do 5 miles! I would be on Cloud 9 if I were you!

Unknown said...

i am so impressed!! way to go!!!

i love the new background :o)

Maurey Pierce said...

Congrats! Big congrats!

If IT is a recurring problem for you, check out The Stick. It's really helped me manage mine.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Great job.

-FringeGirl

Kaci said...

So proud of you!! My running muse!

Loukia said...

Congrats on such an awesome accomplishment!