10.01.2009

Yet another fear...I'll keep 'em comin'

Well, now that it is officially October, I have to face the facts. Halloween is coming (okay, if you have been watching the shelves, it has been coming since Easter ended). In 30 short days.
Myself? notsuchabighalloweenfan

Why? Need you ask?
I am a wimp.
Seriously? What is up with a day that you allow people to walk around wearing scary stuff? How is one supposed to differentiate Fake Ax Murderers from Real Ax Murderers? They can both just walk around all "La-la I'm an real-or-fake Ax Murderer and you won't know because it is Halloween and I can dress like this all day if I want." How the heckeroni am I to know if it is real or fake blood on the ax?
Can I even start on the scary stuff at Target? Erin? Think you son hates the "scaries" at Target? Try me. I won't go down the aisle. Enter a Halloween store or a party store at this time of the year? nothanksnopes
When my students start talking about Halloween costumes they are going to be like "a bloody vampire bride" or a "scary something icky with a mask," I'm like, "Wouldn't it be nice to be dress up like a teacher? Or a principal? How about something nice like a donut? That'd be way cooler." Apparently they do not agree. Heck, I'll take a pirate, even a white sheet ghost. Wait, maybe not. Remember?
Then? To make it worse? My co-worker came up with this horrible idea.
Let's see if we can go all month until the 31st without any Halloween candy. None. Not even a single Reese's Pumpkin, small bag of M&M's, a peanut butter cup, a bag of peanuts, a small snickers...
Okay, so I didn't have to agree, but throw down a gauntlet and I'll do it. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. So, not only will I spend the month being freaked out that something is going to come out of the shadows in a creepy costume and get me? I can't put myself in a Halloween Candy Induced Coma to numb the fear.
Dress up? Me? Well, in a nice, friendly costume, maybe. Like a cookie, or as a Target shopping bag or a MacBook Pro. After all, would any self respecting Ax Murderer kill one of those?
I didn't think so.
post signature

40 comments:

Theta Mom said...

Your not a fan and I LOVE Halloween! My kids already have their costumes and I am planning the accessories!

Claremont First Ward said...

I like the sweet costumes, too.

A few days for the smell to go away? A few days? :)

KK said...

I'm not so crazy about it either!

Heather said...

i'm with you on the halloween feelings. we never "did" halloween when i was growing up. and isn't my nephew ryan just adorable??? :)

Elizabeth D. said...

I'm a fan of the "innocent" costumes, too - my munchkin's going to be a monkey. I rue the day he asks me to be something gross or yucky like an ax murderer. I'm not a huge fan of Halloween either, it just seems silly to me and I'm not into gross (although a friend hired me to make some "gross" cupcakes for her kids' Halloween party, so I'll have to swallow my distaste for all things gross and creepy). Happy Friday!

honeypiehorse said...

No candy? That is scary. But nothing is as scary as the cackling Christmas witch our Russian friends gave us a few years ago. Needless to say, she gets air time in October, NOT December.

erin said...

puh-lease tell me you don't throw a screaming fit like him though. or try at all cost to avoid target all together...

and yuck... what a bad month to go without candy. keep your pb jar handy!!

erin said...

oh yeah, and i LOVED the shoutout! :-)

Tracie said...

I'm not into it either. I have one boy who is scared of everything and another who enjoys that a little too much - if ya know what I mean. Plus, Halloween is just toomuch work for me. School parties, pumpkin patch, costumes, on and on. No thanks.

Thanks for stopping by Stir-Fry! I love discovering new blogs to read.

The Stiffs said...

My girls have always had the sweetest little costumes...until this year. Don't come near our house.

Staci said...

You could dress up like a jar of peanut butter!!! :) You could just start eating candy as soon as you wake up on the 31st and hopefully by the time Trick or Treaters (aka real or fake Ax Murderers) start knocking you'll have that sugar induced coma you were hoping for (or at the very least a good buzz going) :)

This is the first year that Max has not wanted to be a Nascar driver for Halloween. He's a Star Wars character and the girls are fairies. Cute enough :)

Unknown said...

I loooove Halloween but I do scare easily, last year I got the great idea that I wanted to go to Halloween Horror Nights, its at Universal Studios, so you can just imagine how over the top and freaking scary it is. I almost wet myself more than once. In one of the houses I pushed the man in front of me out because a vampire was after me. It was sooo scary, but one of the biggest adrenaline rushes ever!

Foursons said...

What?! No candy all month? But this is the month that I can actually find and buy Oh Henry's. YUMMY! I would NOT have joined in on that challenge. Instead I would have sat with my yummy candy and watched everyone else watch me eat it. :)

Ace said...

We make our kids get creative for Halloween. They aren't allowed to be anything scary and we don't buy costumes. If we're gonna spend money on costumes we'd rather just go spend that on the candy and skip trick or treating! We always make our own costumes but I don't know if I can out do last year. We still had tons of boxes from moving so we worked together for hours to make a rubik's cube and dice. It was super cute. The box was decorated and we just cut out holes for their heads and arms, slip it over them and go! It was so fun everywhere we went hearing "Oh! Look at that Rubik's cube! How awesome!"
My point? Maybe if you get creative making costumes it will help with the fear. Or not!

Unknown said...

GREAT post and SO true. I fancy the wee Kit Kats myself.

HeartsMakeFamlies said...

Well I love Halloween but I have reservations too. For children's safety I worry.

Please stop by my blog today. I left you an award. Congrats!

The Mother said...

Unfortunately, Mac Book Pros are not quite in keeping with the whole sentiment of All Hallow's Eve, which was to scare the snot out of the evil spirits (or at least make them think you were one of them).

So, if you are going to be scary, I suggest an HP laptop with Norton Antivirus installed.

Just a thought.

Kristina P. said...

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!?!?!?

Annsterw said...

I love love love the holidays - ALL of them! I already made my boyfriends and I's halloween costumes...I will post picsa after the party - can't wait!!!!!!!!! I do, also, share the sentiment about a little fear but that keeps me on my toes in public - which is a good thing as I tend to walk through life in a little HAZE sometimes - LOL!!!! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!! ENJOY!!!!

Barbaloot said...

Okay-I seriuosly HATE Halloween. It's such a stupid holiday. Teaching kids to go around and beg for food, giving young girls an "excuse" to dress like skanks, giving boys an excuse to do mean and scary things...yeah, it's a dumb holiday.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I love Halloween, but Lexie is so with you on hating it! She won't even walk down the halloween aisles in stores, and I had to race out of the Halloween store with a shrieking child last week. I'm not big on dressing up, though. My hubby is the one who always wears scary costumes. They freak me out!

Meeko Fabulous said...

I'll make sure to make up for all the candy you're not eating, k? Especially the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups . . . Muah ha ha! ;)

susan said...

AWWWWWWW! that makes me sad that you dont like halloween. I LOVE it. yesterday i finally got all our decorations out. I put really creepy window images in our 4 front windows. the kids think its the best think since sliced bread. :)

thats a good idea about the no candy until the 31st. you know we will all make up for the lack of, on the night anyway.

Stephanie said...

All the way to Halloween with OUT candy. Sorry but that is just wrong:)

Kameron said...

Just think about how much faster you can run away from said Ax murderer if you are not bogged down by candy!

Anonymous said...

I love Halloween...I like a reason to have a party and dress up in costume. I'm never anything scary though. This year munchkin my 10 yo son wants to be the bald midget pirate from Pirates of the Caribbean. LOL he thinks he can pull it off cause he's short.

Jenn said...

You would have been proud of me last night. We lost power sometime in the middle of the night, so I moved to a room where I'd be better able to hear Wiggle Man, since we were now without the aid of the baby monitor.

As I lay there, it occured to me that perhaps a bad guy had cut the power on purpose to lure me from my room and then do his worst.

Yeah.

Miller Racing Family said...

I totally agree about the costumes. I hate how Wal-Mart only has scary costumes. I did found a cute monkey costume so we will go with that this year. On the candy issue, I could pass on the chocolate but the sweet candy would be my breaking point.
Have a great weekend.

Liz Mays said...

It's not my favorite holiday either. Part of it is because when the sun sets, I don't want to open my door to let anybody in and I don't want to walk out of it either.

Jennifer said...

I like friendly costumes too. I with you there. I was just at Target yesterday and saw their scary real life sized zombie looking thing and I turned to walk in the opposite direction. That's the last thing I want to see! Too scary for me!

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

Will an award make you feel a little better?
http://scrapingirl.blogspot.com/2009/10/award.html

~*Michelle*~ said...

Just don't go camping at Camp Crystal (or was it Lake Crystal) with a bunch of teenagers......or decide to babysit on Elm Street and I think you should be all set.

oh yeah......one last thing

.....

.....

.....

.....

.....

.....

.....

.....

.....

.....

.....

.....

boo!

More Than Words said...

Okay, now you got me scared!! LOL

betty-NZ said...

No candy?! How horrible *runs away, flailing arms, screaming*

AiringMyLaundry said...

A month without candy??!!

I'd die.

I am a wimp though. I hate when things just pop out.

Jessica said...

This sounds TERRIBLE to me!! I appreciate that you are up to the challenge of no candy though. Good luck!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I don't enjoy the scary costumes either but the slutty toddler costumes are really irritating me.

Michelle said...

I LOVE Halloween! I hope you don't get too scared!

E @ Scottsville said...

Oh, you should've come down here and celebrated with me last year. We went through a small haunted house and I screamed more than I had in 10 years combined. It was horrifying and funny all at the same time.

I love a good scare,but you're totally right. I often wonder if all the killers aren't right there among us with REAL axes on Halloween.... with REAL blood... YIKES!

Unknown said...

I could do October with no candy... but I'd be gorging myself with sweets come November 1st!