12.02.2009

Again, will I ever learn?

I seem to have a hard time learning lessons. Obviously, as my husband lectures me on the same topics again and again.
Now, if you have hung around me for say, longer than 10 minutes, you might notice the following thing about me:
I never fully screw the lids on anything.
Why? I have no idea. I just don't. Apparently this has been a problem for years, as my best friend from high school would always get on me about it, and I still do it today.
When I was in high school? and to this very day I would open a bottle of pop and take a sip and leave the lid 1/2 screwed on. Inevitably, the soda would tip over, making a mess all over everything.
The poor people who hang around me? I find them picking up anything I touch and screwing the lid on for me.
However, this habit can come in handy. For example? On peanut butter jars. If I am in need of a quick peanut butter fix? The jar is almost ready to go! I just make a quick turn, and BOOM! Peanut butter at my fingertips.
However, I just may need to do a bit of tightening, as the following have happened in the last 2 weeks.
• I left the lid unscrewed of my nail polish remover. I later tipped it over and dumped the whole bottle over the bathroom floor. Needless to say, my husband noticed (could it have been the smell?) Lecture ensued.
• I left the lid unscrewed on a bottle of nail polish. It leaked out onto the side of my laptop. Lecture ensued. i think the midnight blue enhanced my laptop personally
• Left the lid off a bottle of Dt. Dew. Tipped over. Lecture.
• Lid off of of a can of cappuccino mix. Spilled. Lecture.
• Water bottle-car-lecture.

What do you think? Do I need to change? I mean, as I type this, there is a bottle of water next to me, with a lid 1/2 screwed on. What is your bad habit?
post signature

44 comments:

Nicole said...

lol well I think its great to have that habit for your pb fix! Honestly though I don't know anyone else who does that...maybe its a deep rooted issue, hypnosis is always good for that kind of stuff!

I always end up changing a bad habit when something reminds me too, maybe you could have your husband leave a note on jars that say "screw on lid tightly" or something like that? you'll probably get so annoyed at the notes that you remember so he'll stop writing them!

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

WOW!! That's quite a problem you have. :) I can't think of anything crazy that I do. But my hubby leaves his chapstick in his pants and I wash and dry them and they ruin all the clothes by leaving greace marks on everything. Does that count. Maybe my problem is that I don't check pockets before I wash. :)

The Stiffs said...

That is one of my many bad habits. Last week, I dumped half a bottle of diet coke in a leather purse Ray brought back from Italy. I also wait until my feet are literally sticking to the floor to mop and procrastinate.

Jen said...

Hmm, I have a similar problem but it is reserved for water only. I constantly have a Nalgene bottle near and always leave the cap off. I've spilled water on a laptop at least three times. Luckily no permanent damage.

Hmm as far as if you need to change? Well I say as long as you never do any permanent damage to anything too important and you clean up the messes then it's not that big of a deal.

Coffee, that's my bad habit. I'm sure there are others if I'd think about it longer.

Libbie said...

Oh no! Hopefully as he is lecturing he is cleaning it up for you :) I would get little lectures too :)

Trish said...

That's not too bad...it means your only "1/2 screwed...right?!?"

:O)

I would have to say mine is not checking pockets before I wash clothes. I have washed(and dryed)
chapstick, cans of dip...then my clothes were Wintermint fresh....uh, lets see.....fishing lures, gun shot shells, rocks, pecans, pocket knives....

good lordy, I could keep doing this for days.........

Kristina P. said...

I do this kind of stuff too!

Betty Manousos said...

Came byb to say hi Sara.
hugs hugs

Danyele Easterhaus said...

what would dr phil say...something like "how's that working for you?"! ha!

Jen said...

Careful, don't spill. LOL!

Meeko Fabulous said...

I start projects and don't finish them cause I get distracted . . . Apparently I leave little messes behind me wherever I go (crumbs, magazines, sweaters, sock) . . . Apparently I don't pick up after myself (see previous) . . . I don't know how to fold undershirts or towel correctly apparently . . . LoL!

Alicia said...

it seems you do have a little problem there:)

Amy said...

this is too funny. I am a clean freak...

Kelli said...

Hmmm, what does Brad lecture me about? Wearing my shoes on the new floor. Leaving said shoes where ever lecture occurs. Tripping over them later. Leaving dishes in the sink. And burning the bottoms of pans when I cook in too much of a hurry.
I think that covers Monday.

Alicia said...

haa! i do the same thing!! it drives my husband nuts!! but i do it because he always screws the lids on too tight! we need to find a happy medium!

Barbaloot said...

Bad habit? What's that? I'm practically perfect in every way.

Bummer about the nail polish. Amusing...but bummer:)

Tina said...

My bad habit? I wait to get gas in my car until there are barely fumes to get me to the gas station. Drives my husband crazy. Everytime he gets in my car, the EMPTY light is on.

Mrs. M said...

That is a lot of spillage! And lectures! :) I guess my bad habit is knuckle cracking. And I probably screw tops back on containers TOO tight!

E @ Scottsville said...

I wonder why it is that you do that? I mean is there a REASON? Is it just something you can't REMEMBER to finish?

That's just FUNNY, Girlfriend!

The Mother said...

My bad habit? Ignoring hubby's lectures.

Drives him crazy.

Amber Page Writes said...

I do that too. And it has led to numerous disasters lately, including spilled pickles, mashed potatoes and butter.

I also forget to close cupboards...and then bash my head into them.

Oops.

erin said...

haha! when i saw the title, i thought to myself, YES! another stupid sara story! (please don't take offense to the stupid sara comment, because that's something i would do too--my sisters and i call each other with our stupid sister stories...)

anyway, hmmm... bad habits? too many to list. but lets just say that i've had my share of lectures too!

Margaret said...

I do the same thing because it is to hard for me get them off most of the time.

Tracie said...

I'm not bad about lids but I'm a spiller. A whole cup of coffee on my laptop when it was 1 week old.

Theta Mom said...

I spilled Dr. Pepper near my laptop and caught the running of the soda JUST before it would have hit and ruined it. Since then, I refuse to have ANYTHING near it, for this very reason! Nail polish? That's a killer!

Debbie said...

That would drive me nuts! I hate to have to clean up messes so I don't have that bad habit. But I make up for it with a million others.

Foursons said...

I think the having to clean up messes constantly would stop me from only screwing on the lids 1/2 way. But maybe you like cleaning up messes. *shrug*

My bad habit...can't think of one. I'm perfect. Wow- thanks for the ego boost!

KK said...

Well, I'm careful not to screw lids back on too tightly, so they are hard to open. Maybe you need to give them a 3/4 turn!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I can't lecture you, because I do the same thing! ;)

honeypiehorse said...

Happily I have no bad habits.

Liz Mays said...

You're either gonna have to start screwing them on completely or you're forbidden to use anything requiring a lid. I say so. ;)

amanda said...

i know i have bad habits...oh like on the pringles can i leave the top 'seal' thingy on. and my hubby gets mad because it seemingly seems like a 'new' can of chips. and then he opens it to find out it's half gone. :0) that's all i got for now!

lz @ My Messy Paradise said...

I'm going to go with - screw the lids on...or use a sports sipper bottle. Or a flip top lid. Do they make those for PB?

Unknown said...

we ALL have things that we just can't learn. ha.

i get lectures from my husband too!!!

peewee said...

Just tell your husband you COULD have way worse habits...like porn and "MARRIED BUT LOOKING" chat rooms. That oughta take care of that!

Anonymous said...

What I get lectured all the time about is I don't shut the light off when I leave a room. That annoys my husband.

AiringMyLaundry said...

My husband does this too. I admit I've yelled at him for it. Because once I grabbed the milk and he didn't screw on the cap so then I had the stuff dripping down my front. I was livid.

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

I spill pop all the time. Same issue here.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I think we were separated at birth!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I've had my share of lectures too.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to stop by and say I got my book yesterday! I cant wait to start reading it. Thank you so much.

~*Michelle*~ said...

popping in late.....but am right there with you sister friend with that habit.

Not kidding.....I JUST cleaned up Caesar dressing that spilled in the fridge.

ooooooooooooopsie.

Helene said...

Well, actually, you make a valid point. It's so annoying when you have to sit there and bang the darn jar on the floor b/c the lid is on too tight.

My husband hates the way I load the dishwasher! I just throw things in randomly and it drives him crazy.

Personally, I just think both of our husbands need to lighten up and stop being so anal about those kinds of things.

Frugal Vicki said...

Oh Lord, I would take that spilled product and spill the last remaining drops right on you! My hubby says I overload the dishwasher.....hmmm. That is all he really complains about. What is his problem?