We are done.
Finito
No more...
We've made no secret of it (especially my hubby... who told our entire school about his, um, procedure.)
Done what? We are done having children. We love and adore our 2 noisy, messy, funny, cranky, silly little boys. I cannot imagine life without them. But? They are it. Our family is complete.
At a family reunion last weekend, I must have been asked 5 times if we were having more children.
I always wonder about people who actually ask this question. How do they know whether the couple is trying and are having troubles? It can be a very uncomfortable question.
Core and my standard response?
ME: No. I had Corey fixed when Asher was 6 weeks old and he has me...well, nevermind. Just know it would truly be a miracle if we conceived.
Corey: Loongg drawn out sigh...yes, we are done. I had to undergo a long, painful procedure that took literally weeks and weeks of recovery. I still don't know if I've fully recovered...
{No lie, every time we go to the clinic with the boys, the doctor who performed the "procedure" seems to be in the hall and passes us. Every time Core sees him, he turns pale, groans and claims he feels ill.}
Moving on.
So, we are done. At the reunion, as I was asked again, I turned to my husband's cousin's husband (got that?) He and his wife have been married for 4 years and have no children yet. I asked him (innocently I might add), "Do you ever get tired of people asking you if you are having kids anytime soon?" You know, thinking maybe we had something in common here?
{Insert here that we have met him at their wedding and one time since}
"I know! I mean, we are scr#@ing and doing everything that needs to be done, but no luck!"
Um, I guess that is what I get, huh? Maybe someday I will learn...
Anyway, so I was telling Corey's other side of the family this story at Thanksgiving. I was sitting on the floor and Asher was next to me playing with one of these.
Corey's 95 year old grandma was sitting right above me, watching Asher.Right, right as I get to the line about "we are scr#@ing and doing everything that needs to be done, but no luck!" Corey's grandma chimes in, "maybe it needs to go in another hole."
Silence.
Silence.
Laughter.
Was she talking to Asher? Or to me? I don't know, but I guess that is what I get for retelling what I shouldn't have asked, huh?

56 comments:
We are done here too! I had my tubes tied right after they took Allison out!
I've been asked by people who talked about hating to be asked. It's weird.
yeah, don't people ever learn to NOT ask that question? of course, I've never been asked that question (not married... and no kids), but how sad to ask that question and have someone's heart broken because they're trying and can't have kids. yeah, i'm glad God's in charge of all that! :)
LOL @ his grandmother! OMW. :x
We've only been married 18 months, and I'm just now getting sick of the infamous, "WHEN are you having kids?" question. It's getting more and more frequent. I love it, it's, "When are you getting engaged?", then "When are you getting married?", then "When are you having kids?", then "When are you having MORE kids?"...sigh.
Okay, you just made me laugh so hard it hurt...
OK- I'm dumb. Please email me at foursonsblog@yahoo.com and tell me what "scr#@ing". I want to laugh, but I'm the slow one who doesn't get the joke. *sigh*
Bwahahaha to Grannie's comment! I had Hubs spayed or neutered (?) when my youngest was one day old. For realz.
Grandma is funny! My little guy is 2.5 and people ask me ALL the time if we are having another one. I am so tired of telling people "whatever God wants." It is no one's business.
Too funny! And isn't it only supposed to work in one hole?... (both baby making and the toy!)
We are more than done. My tubes were tied while my uterus was laying on my lap after having the twins cut out. It would truly be an act of God if it happened again.
Ha Ha! Grandma is hilarious! I keep getting that question asked all the time because my daughter will be 6 next month. I really want to turn around and just tell them that obviously right now I am too fat to ovulate and when I start they will be the first to know! Seriously!
LOL gotta love old people and what they say!
hahahahaha! i just cracked up laughing and ben was like, "what the heck?!" i'm gonna have to read him the story now. that's too funny!
That is hilarious!!! And, really, that comment to you sounds like the one they have prepared for the people who ask them when they are having kids. It really sounds like he did not even listen or hear your question right. Oh well. Maybe you could've high fived him or something, ha ha.
Grandma's comment is hilarious!
People are ALWAYS asking if we're having another. And no matter what I say, they give me their opinion. It's absolutely obnoxious!
OMG LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!! Wow Grandma!! =)
HAHA!!!! That is to funny. We get asked that all the time also. I have miserable pregnancies. And, I'm sure the next one would come out in the car, cuz Sassy came super fast. I have one of each, so if HUbs wants to have the neaxt one, he can. But he's been "fixed" since Sass was four months. I have a family of four...PERFECT!!!
Niiiice TMI moment with your husband's cousin twice removed.
I love to hear things kids say. I love to hear things that old people say. Get them together and in the words of Eddie from Christmas Vacation, "Bingo!"
That is too funny!!! I love it!
My little sister & I were pregnant at the same time & a friend at church asked my mom (while I was standing htere) Just think if Kay (oldest of the 3 of us) was pregnant too! That would be fun! And my mom said, Yes she needs to jump on th stick!" There was silence & no laughter. It was hilarious but since they weren't laughing I walked away & turned the cornere & laughed...my mom couldn't believe she said it that way...she meant she need t oget going ...but that is not what she said!
Gotta love granda's comedic timing!! People ask me that ALL the time too, and we are also done! Done! Done! Done! :)
Dear Gravy that is HILARIOUS!!!
We get the same question ALL the time!!! I really think it worse on couples that decide to stop when you only have 1 child. People just assume that you need to have "just one more"
I just tell them...we fixed that problem ALONG time ago....yep Chris had the old "snip, snip" too.
Oh my GOSH. That is hysterical.
That last comment was priceless!
We are done, too- 3 boys is enough for me.
I get soooooo tired of people asking if we are going to try for another girl.
Last time that happened, Hubs said no way b/c he'd have to go through a reversal of the surgery that made his balls swell up to the size of grapefruits and he's not doing that again.
I loved the silence that followed that announcement.
That cracked me up. Thank you for retelling it here.
I have always decided never to bring up the subject of having children (any, how many, when, etc.) unless someone else does first. Mostly because we were asked a lot since we didn't have any until we had been married 4 1/2 years.
But since we are on the topic...we are not done. Well, waivering between done and not. We are not ready for another but mostly I think we will have one more. I always joke that we will end up with twin boys next (they run in his family, on the male side) and just between you and me and everyone else who reads your comments, I secretly would be so happy with that. It seems the longer I am away from that awful newborn stage, the more I think I was some sort of ninja during that time.
Priceless! I love stuff like that. Yeah, we have no kids, and want no kids. You know this of course, because you read my blog. I hate the strange looks when we say we don't want kids. Or the outright denial by some who say, 'well, you'll change your mind eventually.' No, I wont.
!!!!taht is funny!!!!
Have a lovely week!
I don't think we are done yet, but when we are...can't wait till he gets to sit in stirrups for a change :)
When I read Granny's comment I laughed so loud that my co-worker asked me what was so funny. I had to tell her :)
i can't say i know the feeling exactly since i just had my baby 4 weeks ago...but my husband and i were together for 6 years before getting engaged, and then waited 1.5 years to get married. the whole time we were dating was "when are you getting married?" then as soon as that happened "when are you having kids?" lol lucky for us we got pregnant 4 months after we got married :)
lol to grandma comment... smile politely and laugh like crazy later :0
LOL! Grandma got it right!! :) Be careful what you ask.
I wasn't expecting that ending. ROFL!!! I spewed on my computer! Princess E asked if I was okay. Oh my! Perfect response by Grandma. Absolutely perfect. Love it!
that is so stinkin' funny!
my hubby had a similar, painful "getting fixed" procedure. poor men. :(
I'll admit I ask this question too but only out of curiosity not to be rude. And only to close friends not 3rd cousins.
LOL! That is an awesome story.
And I get asked all.the.time if we are going to have more kids. Really, people?! One child, and a set of triplets is not enough? I only wanted two kids so yeah, we are more than done!
Oh how FUNNY!!!! Boy, Grandma knew JUST WHEN to chime in, din she? ha ha ha
Way to go Sara. Now,I'm having a really blonde moment, or I'm super naieve. I can't for the life of me figure out what goes in place of the #@. What's wrong with me. And whatever you do, do NOT go post THAT WORD into my comment section. You'll scare my readers away!
HA. I just took a way to big drink of coffee when I got to the last line. I almost took out my computer and my kid across the table.
Don't you just love family gatherings??
LOL -- that is a great story.
we, too, are done!!
2 boys done. i'm sick of getting the question....don't you wanna try for a girl? ha. try? like it's that easy....
my luck...i'd be pregnant w/twin boys!!!
that story is hilarious, gotta love grandma's and I think she knew exactly what she was saying. LOL. ;)
Oh my word, that is the funniest thing I've ever heard :)
How do I even come up with a comment after a punch line like that one?
Best. Story. Ever.
Cory has got one hell of a grandma! :)
Bahhhaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaa so funny!!!
OK, first.....I spit out my drink at the "wrong hole" comment.....too flipping funny.
Secondly.....it also goes on the flip side...these past few years, I have made the mistake of telling people that I was pregnant (only to lose the babies in the first trimester).....but you should have heard the rude comments I heard about "don't you have enough kids?" or "aren't you a little old to be starting all over"
I think that most people just don't know (as in IGNORANCE!!!) how hurtful or annoying they can be when asking such personal questions.
I usually just give them an answer that makes their jaw drop like....."well, Josh DID have that 6 hour micro-surgery to tie his *$&^%*&$ back together and it cost us $10 Grand so I want my moneys' worth"
.....then I smile and walk away, giggling. ;)
For me it was the other way around. After watching me pregnant or nursing for almost 12 years, the question was, "Are you done yet?"
Love the grandma story.
I totally agree with you about people asking if you are having any more kids. I just want to say, well if it were your business I would have already have told you and you wouldn't be asking these crazy questions.
I think you have a perfect family as it is!
LMAO, I hope Grandma was talking to Asher! I was seriously staring at my computer at work reading this and laughing:)
Since we've been married for over a year, my Grandma has been bringing up kids lately, asking when are we going to have them, saying we shouldn't wait too long, and saying that she won't be around forever and that she's old and knows that her time is coming soon. Its so morbid! I kind of understand but I actually feel more turned off with pressure ya know?
ROFL!
-FringeGirl
Coreys grandma made me laugh out loud...
maybe it needs to go in another hole.
Ummm...not really!
I just found your blog and this post cracked me up! It sounds like something that would happen with my family. I look forward to reading more.
LoL @ Grandma!!! I had my tubes tied 45 minutes after my youngest was born.
I think I'm done, no I am done, the problem is that my husband said he won't let anyone touch him:( Cory's grandma's funny and that must of been funny to hear her say that:) Oh you know what people ask me all the time??"Are you guys gonna go for the girl?"...
OMG, that is freaking hysterical. What timing Grandma! Classic comedy.
People were asking me that when I was pregnant with baby girl! Can I please get one child out of my freaking womb before you ask me if I'm going to have any more! I think it starts the second you get married and doesn't stop until your youngest is about 5 or 6. Oh and I so hope grandma was NOT talking to Asher. It iwould be way funnier that way!
We are done here as well. I remember the comments to well. I think two is plenty.
That is WAY too funny!!
OMG, that may be the funniest thing I have read in a long long long long time! That is hilarious. Sometimes I think the elderly are smarter than they let on, maybe she knew she could get away with that comment right then. Hee hee
Post a Comment