2.28.2010

Another Sappy One...and it's gonna get long.

**Warning: Many parts of this post make no sense, are in no order and are just a jumble of what is in my head tonight. Proceed with caution.**

On principle, I tend to stay away from long, sappy, serious posts. I tend to stick to my lighter side, and shy away from the serious stuff. I adore that side of myself, but is not the complete me.
Today I am not going to stick that side.
Sometimes I let that side overcome me, and allow other to think that is all there is to me.

It's not.

I perpetuate this image of a woman who loves to joke, have a great time and SHOP! I don't mind that, those are all pieces of me- all things I do love and enjoy. They are not all of me though.
In the last 6 months or so, I realized how much I had let that side of me out. I realized that some people thought that was the only me. That, combined with some of the books I've been reading, triggered a change in me.

I realized that I was hiding another side of me, the intellectual/analytical side. I started to let it show a bit more- with different people, at work, ect. I remember getting looks, like surprised looks. I could almost see it on people's faces, "Sara can talk like this? Sara has read that book or can discuss this subject with depth and clarity?"

That hurt. Hurt that people didn't know I was capable of that. Hurt that I'd hidden that away from myself.

I'm not going to come on here and list the books I've read, the things that excite me, or any of that. I don't need to do that; I don't need a pat on the back telling me how deep I am.

I hinted at a change in my last post, and yes, I do have one coming. That may be what has triggered this current state of emotion. I may or may not choose to blog about it in the near future, but will at some point, when I am strong enough. I hope the path I am about to embark on will someday help others in my same boat. {Oh? and a quick shout out to the wonderful, amazing bloggy friends (you know who you are) who have been supporting me on this journey. I cannot express how much your words and support mean to me)

There is a quote from Switch (the book I talked about in my previous post) that struck me when I read it:

Don't anticipate every turn in the road between today and the destination

-When you are at the beginning, don't obsess about the middle, because the middle is going to look different once you get there. Just look for a strong beginning and a strong ending, and get moving.

Those are going to be my words to live by right now. I am at the beginning of a journey, scared to death of the middle, but looking forward to a strong ending.

Pushing the envelope for change within our selves is never easy. However, I've never felt more alive than I have lately, and can only imagine what is to come.

post signature

58 comments:

Ace said...

You go! Don't be afraid to let your true self shine!

Heather of the EO said...

I love all your parts!

(OK, that sounded...not how I meant it...but you know what I mean.)

I do. I love this side of you and your silly side too. I'm glad you're YOU, all of YOU.

Shell said...

Be who you are, darlin'!

Alicia O. & the gang said...

Can't wait to read how your story begins unfolding...and I'll wait for the middle when it gets here!

Congrats on the changing...always good..never easy!

Michelle said...

Good for you! Keep it up Sara.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to reading about your journey. Sometimes the road more scary is the best to be on, and not knowing what is coming can be stressful. But the journey and the outcome can all be wonderful things.

Good luck! Whatever your choices, I know you can do it!

Kristina P. said...

I understand where you're coming from. My blog is always humorous and funny. Which is a huge part of me. But I have a lot of different sides. Although, I am very balances in my real life.

Hang in there!

Margaret said...

Go for it be who you are and your really friends will there cheering you on!!!

Mama4Real said...

Now you've gone and got me all worried about you!
I've been MIA b/c I just realized that my blogreel is all kinds of messed up, ever since I changed my layout.

So anyway... I'm here, if you need :)

Anonymous said...

Always know this...

I'm your friend and with that comes great power....

the power of love..

Foursons said...

You go Sara! I love this side of you. I love the funny Sara too, but I can handle the smart, serious Sara. Have at it girl!

Jenn said...

I know we don't know each other in real life, but I've always thought of you as someone with depth.

You'll be in my prayers.

peewee said...

I'm excited for you, whatever it is you're doing. It's so weird how much we hate HATE! change...and yet when I look back at all the moments I was dreading in life, the things I THOUGHT were devastating....they ALL were for the better. But I still dread change...HAHA! We humans are pretty dumb :)

Guacaholic said...

I always figured the things you posted about were a false-front for deeper thoughts. You have always been a smart cookie, so there seemed to be a disconnect between the person I knew as a teen and the person whose blog I read, especially considering that runners are usually pretty cerebral. (Woot woot!)

I think you should be able to post about what excites you - it's not about getting a pat on the back, it's about being able to share your thoughts about the things that get you pumped to live life. (My own personal example being my school stuff.)

LBDDiaries said...

I haven't known you long but I already pegged you as a strong, compassionate woman so I am not surprised by any change and victory in your life. They are a given and we are here to cheer you on to that strong ending! I feel like bursting out in that old mary Tyler Moore show theme song, "You're going to make it after alllllll!!!"

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

Let it all out!! This is definitely the place for that. That's why we blog, to get our emotions out. I will like you even if you make me cry. :)

Jen said...

Change is difficult but it can also be liberating. You will get there.

The Stiffs said...

This is fabulous. I appreciate seeing the whole Sara. Best wishes on your journey.

amanda said...

you know you do normally show your crazy fun side. but i can and could always see the 'serious' sara behind it. be who you are and not ashamed friend!

Kmama said...

Good luck to you with this journey! Change is hard, but sometimes completely necessary!

Trish said...

There is nothing better than just being yourself.
As women, wives, moms and friends we have so many different roles we have to play and the emotions that go along with them.
Good luck on your journey my friend!

Jen said...

I think everyone has so many layers and it's a choice what layers you show to whom. I'm probably the opposite of you, in that I tend to show my analytical side more and less of my fun/silly side. I don't know why that is really but I think it's great that you recognize who you are/want to be and work toward that. Everyone is a canvas. Best of luck to you!

Kelli said...

Sara,
You're doing great. Keep it up. And I'm excited to find out that there's someone I can talk about Malcolm with!

Unknown said...

Yay you! Bring it!

Mrs. B said...

Good luck w/ this upcoming change!

The Mother said...

Welcome. But be prepared...thinking and reading can challenge many preconceived beliefs.

Tara said...

I think I probably need to focus more on the strong beginning and strong ending more. I've been away for a few days so I need to go back and read. Good luck in whatever you are dealing with right now.

Debbie said...

Good for you! I think we can only be truly happy when we are true to ourselves!

Robin said...

Hi There..I saw your post about Switch and i ordered it on kindle..have'nt read it yet..but am very intrigued..I love change, but sometimes need a boost to go forward..thanks for this and for the book recommendation..Looking forward to hearing more..!

Barbaloot said...

I think it takes guts to let people see multiple sides of you. The lighter, fun, happy side is easier to show because it doesn't open up any vunerabilities.

I'm looking forward to your future posts!

{Kimber} said...

I love that quote!! :)

Nicole said...

I love this post!! I have to get that book...seriously. I love deep books on changes and changing. This weekend, thats it, I'm totally getting it! Congrats on being your whole self, and I'm sorry your office mates are looking at you all funny when you bring out a different side to yourself. I think its great you are throwing caution to the wind and just being you, and pushing your envelope:)
I used to often get frustrated at other people's attempts to sort of put me in a box of "this type person" that I had a few of the characteristics I'd show when I was around them and I wondered if anyone ever really knew the "whole" me. It took awhile but changing and growing has brought me to a place of just being me, not this or that, or like this person, or this way, but just me. Can't wait to find out whats happening next!

King J's Queen said...

I love your sense of humor and spazz-i-ness; but I don't think for a moment that it represents the whole of you! You spend your days molding the minds of our next generation. You need an outlet for the fun side, and that's what I see here.

Embrace this change, whatever it may be, and push on through it. Your bloggy friends will be here to encourage you as you proceed.

Anonymous said...

I am the opposite I find that I am far too serious and alot of people only know me for that side of me. So when I try to express myself in other ways I feel I am stumped by peoples pre-judgments etc.

I dont what your new journy intales but I wanted to say that I personally am always here if you want to talk to someone or just to vent off etc.

I think you are such a strong person that you will overcome any obsticle that stands in your way and can achieve anything you set your mind too.

God Speed
xx

Anonymous said...

I am the opposite I find that I am far too serious and alot of people only know me for that side of me. So when I try to express myself in other ways I feel I am stumped by peoples pre-judgments etc.

I dont what your new journy intales but I wanted to say that I personally am always here if you want to talk to someone or just to vent off etc.

I think you are such a strong person that you will overcome any obsticle that stands in your way and can achieve anything you set your mind too.

God Speed
xx

Unknown said...

I think change is good. Sometimes it scares the crap out of us but when we come out on the other side we realize just how good it was for us!

Anonymous said...

Sara, I'm sorry you've encountered those for whom "either-or" thinking is de rigeur. People are complex and it is this faceting that is so fascinating.

Be true to yourself; you have been; you will be. I enjoy this about you and I'm sure many others do as well.

susan said...

i will praying that this new change in your life (whatever it may be) will be good for you.

new things are always scary, but i know you are a strong woman that can overcome anything.

Unknown said...

Sara, you seem to be a girl who goes after what she wants, and I know that whatever it is you will succeed! I look forward to the day you share this big change with us. Have a fabulous day!

Kelli W said...

I think my favorite part this post is the next to last paragraph. I worry to much about the middle...and I need to just focus on a stong beginning! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for stopping by my blog earlier and leaving such an encouraging comment:)

Vanessa said...

Sounds intriguing and exciting and scary all at the same time, and I hope you do share! (I'm impressed by your microwave, btw. I just saw that.) :-) <3

AiringMyLaundry said...

Go you! Be yourself, that's important.

LZ said...

I hope everything is ok...I'm sure all sides of you will come together to make any change you are looking to make! Good luck!

Amy said...

Good luck on whatever is ahead for you. I will be cheering you on..

Sending peanut butter your way..

2Corinth1:4mom said...

"I am at the beginning of a journey, scared to death of the middle, but looking forward to a strong ending."

Just like a marathon and you conquered those!

Liz Mays said...

I can relate to what you're saying in terms of my current divorce situation. Boy, can I relate.

Whatever you're dealing with, know that people out here care, like me.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Sounds like you've got some awfully exciting things in store. Keep your eyes on the prize baby!

erin said...

see? i told you that you'd have the support of your readers! :-)

i love this post. i love that you feel more alive now than you have and i love that you are open to this change in your life. you are on my mind a lot, and my prayers are for you on this journey that i imagine is SO hard. but God is faithful—REST in his love, his power, and his promises.

Isaiah 43:18-19
“But forget the past—it is nothing compared to what I am going to do. For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland."

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Good luck on your journey! Please, don't be afraid to let your "other side" shine through! I really love the quote you posted. I needed to read that!

Theta Mom said...

Good for you mama - be who you are - every part of you, the funny, the intellect, whatever - and enjoy learning about yourself in the process!

And why the hell has it been so long since I've been here? Glad to be back.

xoxo

peewee said...

Just bought 'Switch'. SO excited to read!

Natalie at Mommy on Fire said...

Oh my word - I just wrote about this today. I am on a similar journey and it is a bit crazy. And scary. But so worth it.

I'm a runner too - that will help. Running is free therapy...

Jazzy said...

I heart you:) Oh and I finally updated my blog!!! I AM BACK!!!

Mrs. M said...

I love the place you are at right now! Great post!!

honeypiehorse said...

I assumed you were pretty brainy - I mean you're a teacher and make witty observations.

Miller Racing Family said...

What a great post.
I love the quotes at the end of the post. They are great words to remember especially here at the end of my pregnancy.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Great quotes!

Your journey is intriguing me! Do share more!

The Princess of Sarcasm said...

I often try to make people laugh to distract them from my insecurities. I wonder if anyone knows the other me either?

And just because you're funny DOES NOT mean you aren't SMART!!!!