2.25.2010

C H A N G E ...is hard

Often times, as it may be with the majority of blogs I read being written by women, I come across post regarding women and their desire to lose weight, exercise more, become healthier and feel better about themselves.

All wonderful things, and I strive for many of the same myself.

Just as often, on a more depressing note, I come across us talking of our failure to do so. We want to make the right choice, but the temptations overcome us, we are tired, our kids get sick and so on...
Does this make us bad people? I don't think so. I think we are all real, with real lives and real setbacks. However, we are much harsher on ourselves about these setbacks. At least I know I am.
It is not easy to make a change- even a small one. I'm making a big change in my life soon, and know that it is going to be extremely difficult.
However, I am reading a book that has given me a new perspective on change and why change is so difficult.


Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard- by Chip Heath and Dan Heath.
Although this book is not meant as a diet book, a health book or any of the sort, I have personally found it to be one of the most foundational books I've seen on the matter. It doesn't give you a diet plan to follow, tell you when to exercise- it is an Applied Psychology book and not meant to do so- it is applicable to both areas.
The book delves into what makes our brains tick- with both our analytical side and emotional side. The authors go into great detail on these "sides" of our brain, and how they affect our ability to change and become whom/what we desire to be.
Are you a bad person because you can't stay away from those Girl Scout Cookies? No. Just a person who has exhausted their brains emotional bank, and needs a different outlook.
Since reading this book, I've looked at things like dieting, exercise and lifestyle choices differently. I no longer look at the changes in my life in big areas- I've gone from saying "I want to lose 10 lbs and eat more vegetables" to saying "I am going to eat one vegetable per day." {The book gives a clearer picture as to why this is the optimal way to look at changes, and how doing so this way optimizes our brains ability to handle changes}

It quickly became one of my Top 5 Must Read Books.
My bottom line? No, I am not paid to write this, the authors have no idea I am doing so. I just wanted to share. I hold a dear spot in my heart for my lovely blogging friends, and the struggles we share. I read this book and knew instantly that it could make a difference in many of our outlooks on change, and wanted to share it with you all.
I encourage you to check it out if you are looking to make changes, frustrated with your current ability to do so, or are just interested in looking into how our brain operates. I believe you will be encouraged by what you find out.

Oh, and you can check out the other books I love on GoodReads (email me and I will add you), where I just started an account a few weeks ago! I would love to have some friends to chat books with! (Any Malcolm Gladwell fans out there?)
post signature

48 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that sounds really good. I think you've found your little spark of inspiration in the words from that book.

Its a wonderful feeling isnt it when you find something so special when you least expect it.

Enjoy it and I am deffinately going to have a look at the book now.
xx

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

That sounds fantastic. I had not heard of this book, but I LOVE this premise you are describing. I'm sold!! Good luck with your quest!

Mrs. M said...

Sounds like a good read.

I just sent you a friend request on Goodreads. :)

Amber Page Writes said...

That sounds like a fantastic book. I'll have to check it out.

Furry Bottoms said...

Excellent post. Change IS hard. I'll have to check that book out!!

Unknown said...

This book sounds interesting, I think I might just have to check it out. I have been reading a book called, "lose it for life" and it has really changed my whole thought process. I was going to do a blog about it soon. Hope you are doing well, it's been ages since I've been around, but life is so busy. Hope you are doing well! xoxo

Andrea said...

Love your blog! And can totally relate to the difficulty of change.
Andrea
http://andrea-newblog.blogspot.com/

Barbaloot said...

Hmm---sounds good. Now if I could just stop reading all those fantasy books that are just entertainment rather than something to help...we'll see how that goes:)

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing another great read out there. I love to read too. Have a great day.

erin said...

good post sara. :-) you're on the right track and i'm proud of you! ♥

Anonymous said...

I'll chat with you any time about anything... book or story

fact or fiction

life or dreams..

Kmama said...

I feel like you were speaking directly to me. I will have to check that book out.

Thanks.

Michelle said...

Awesome! I love finding new good books to read.

Stepping On Cheerios said...

Makes sense! I'll have to pick up that book...sounds right up my alley.

The Stiffs said...

I see a trip to Barnes and Noble in my future!

Helene said...

Oh geez, all I could think about when I read the author's name, Chip Heath, was that it sounded like a flavor of ice cream that I'd really like.

This sounds like a really good read...something I need to check out! I could probably learn a thing or two!

Jasmine said...

I am going to check this book out, perfect time in my life as I am needing to make some changes. Great post! Thank you

Simply Complex said...

Thanks for this post Miss Sara. I am always scouting good books to read, and this kind of thing is right up my alley.

I hope that your big change is a good one, not bad... And I hope it goes as smoothly as possible!

As far as weight loss, I am sure anyone who reads this is going to roll their eyes, but I swear to God the moment I stopped worrying about my weight, what I was eating, and how many minutes I ran on the treadmill, I got down to the weight I feel my body is meant to be at. Since I wasn't obsessing about everything anymore my mind took over and told me when I was hungry, when I was full, and I found out that eating a brownie or chips really didn't matter in the long run.

Vanessa said...

Well that sounds brilliant!! I love that idea of starting off slowly, like your vegetable thing. It's almost like how some folks say to NOT say 'no' to kids all the time, just redirect or focus on the positive. Genius!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like I book I will read! I know I am so hard on myself when I feel like I have failed in my diet.

KK said...

Sounds like a good one.

honeypiehorse said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out. Although my weight is perfect and I have no problem sticking to all my goals. ;-)

Kameron said...

Being a scientist, I completely get things that apeal to my analytical side. I will have to check this book out!

Shell said...

That book does sound really good!

Add me on goodreads- my email is thingsicantsaymichelle at gmail. :)

Kaci said...

Oooo I fall in this catergory so often. Change is soooo hard, so hard!!! I will have to check this out. Thanks Sara!

amanda said...

the book sounds really good. i'll have to check it out!! thanks for sharing your unsolicited review.

Kelli said...

You said the magic words! Malcolm. Gladwell! I adore him! I have all his books. If that makes me a dork, well, [I've got nothing clever] then yeah, I'm a dork! I'm glad you've found something to help. This book sounds like something many of us would benefit from reading.
Keep it up! :)

Miller Racing Family said...

That sounds like a fabulous book! I have a hard time with any type of change so I will have to check this out. Thanks for the recommendation.
Have a fabulous Friday!

Mrs. B said...

Thanks for sharing! It seems like something I need to read right now. haha. I'll add it to my list of your recommendations! :)

Jen said...

I'm going to have to check this out. And I agree with you that we are often so hard on ourselves. And I will be emailing you...I need new book recommendations!

susan said...

that sounds like a good book. i will have to look for it. thanks for the recommendation.

my hubs just got outliers from amazon yesterday and he cant wait to read it. i might have to steal that from him. :)

have a great weekend!

Brooke said...

I was just thinking the other day that I needed to find a new book, and this one seems to match the description of what I was looking for. Thanks for the recommendation, and I'm adding it to my list of books to read!

Nicole said...

oooo this book sounds awesome!! thanks for the recomendation, I will definetly check it out! I'm okay with making changes when it comes to fitness and eating, that part I know I have to do slowly, the hard changes for me are true life ones, like ones about moving, children, jobs changes etc. those ones I could use help from this book for!!!

Betty Manousos said...

Oh, that sounds like and interesting read! I need to check it out.
Thanks for sharing, Sara
Betty xx

Margaret said...

I am going to pick that book and read it. It seems really good!

LBDDiaries said...

I'll hit Amazon & get that book today. Sounds good! Also try the chapter in that book I sent you about goal setting in the NOW, not putting it off with our words, i.e., "I am going to lose" versus "I weigh my goal weight." It's amazing info! Great post!

Trish said...

I don't think anyone likes change. We get to comfortable with the "everyday norm" and then let things build on that.

Sounds like a great book.

So what is you BIG change that is coming up....hmmmmm?????

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Thanks for sharing this. I definitely am going to check it out. SOunds like what I need.

Shell said...

I can't reply to your comment. No email in your profile. I don' think I realized that before.

But, I did order a t-shirt from that company and the woman who owns it is awesome. She makes them right when you order them and even called me when something I wanted was out of stock and did something different for me instead. :) So, I get a unique shirt.

And, if you want the recipe, just email me: thingsicantsaymichelle at gmail

Velvet Over Steel said...

I love the review, it's next on my reading list. Thanks for sharing! Following you now! ~ Coreen
www.velvetoversteel.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. We really are hard on ourselves. I appreciate an honest review and, when time allows, will check this out.

E @ Scottsville said...

So Im dying to hear what this big 'change' is. And I'm so rarely online, I know I'm gonna MISS IT!!!

Ugggh. I hate how little time I have to be on here anymore. Miss you Sara!

{{hugs}}

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I love book recs, especially from my favorite bloggers. Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a book that I need! Thanks for the review.

-FringeGirl

peewee said...

I can't WAIT to read this. I devour books like this. Malcolm Gladwell is a GENIUS! Did u ever read "Stumbling on happiness" by Daniel Gilbert? BEST BOOK!!! I am going to B&N today to look for this one! Thanks!

Tracie said...

Sounds interesting. I keep thinking about getting a Goodreads account but haven't made it over there yet.

Kat @ www.TodaysCliche.com said...

Excited to read this! However, I'd really prefer the cliff notes... who am I kidding, I don't time for anythings these days!

Jamee said...

I will definitely have to check this out! Thanks for sharing!