7.30.2010

My First Colorado Run

So, packing for our trip, I had these grand ideas of me...running through the mountains, wind blowing my hair, taking in the beautiful sights, while doing what I love.

Arrive in Colorado. 14 hours in the car, cramped legs. Yours truly gets altitude sickness..

I wait a few days, adjust to being at 8,ooo+ feet. (actually, I never really did, I was surprised at this.) Drink lots of water and take in the sights.

Head out early in the morning...sun shining, mountains in the distance, serenity at its best.

.75 miles in. You can't keep the grin off my face as I run, looking at the mountains, thinking "what a wonderful world!"
See the little stream off in the distance and run towards it...how awesome is life!?

1 mile...slow down, breathing hard. Shoot mountains are hard to run in.

2 miles...and another walking break. Gonna die here. Fine. Mountains make a pretty backdrop, but so do cowpies.

2.3 miles...honestly, who invented altitude? It bites.

2.6 miles...mama, if I make it home? I will never complain about humidity again.

4 miles...just...one...more...mile. I am tough, I've run marathons, I CAN run 5 miles. Right? Right?

4.1 miles...is that grass there? Would anyone notice me laying face first on it in their front yard?

gasping, wheezing, sweating and gross...5 miles.

Back to the hotel. Elijah, "mom! You look...sweaty and red! How was the run?"

wheeze, gasp, whine.. repeat...repeat..."it was...awesome."

post signature

41 comments:

Kaci said...

Holy cow...yikes!! But you did it...AWESOME! And I too think that about grass in peoples yard. LOL! =) I'll just lay here for a minute...really I'm okay.

Kaci said...

I just wanna be one of those people who say...ooo oo ooo I'm first!

Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

Wow, way to go. Sadly, I would have probably lied down in that grass and passed out!

5 miles? Geesh...you are super momma!

Anonymous said...

8000 thats it?

the mountians we camp in around here are twice that.... but then again you wont catch me running in them....


would have paid to watch that run though....


*winks*

Kristina P. said...

I never even think about the altitude. Congrats!

Sarah said...

Yuck, that sounds brutal! Somehow I don't think I'd do well at high altitude either.

{Kimber} said...

that's pretty good for 8000+ feet lady!! I surely couldn't do it!

Mama4Real said...

Toooooold yaaaaaaa ;)

Ian said...

Running through the mountains??? Lord, I gots issues just on the treadmill lol

Tracie said...

Good for you! I had a hard time adjusting to the altitude out there and I didn't do anything other than walk around and eat.

Chandra said...

I don't think people realize how hard it is to do anything active where there is any kind of altitude change. My sister lived in CO for quite a few years...never got any easier for me to come and visit, just walking was hard!!

Congrats for doing it! It is no easy accomplishment!

Barbaloot said...

Ha-welcome to the west:) If only I could experience the joy of running at a lower altitude---I never seem to notice the difference.

alison said...

lol.....my running gets thrown off if i start out 30 minutes later than usual. i couldn't imagine what would happen if my humidity was taken away!! i know that five miles wouldn't have been the end result :)

jmt said...

I am a runner, and have successfully avoided running in Colorado thus far. :) It is admirable that did it, though. Good work! And the fact that you told your son it was awesome? Best thing you could do for him. I lie to my kids...a lot...but I always lie on the side of happy. Positive. Might as well teach them that happiness can be found in lots of things instead of teaching them to complain about everything. :)

I'm blog hopping today. Happy Friday!

The Mother said...

See why athletes use altitude chambers?

Jamie said...

running at altitude is no joke. that has been my experience nearly every time I've tried to run when visiting Denver!

The Urban Cowboy said...

Right on, you are one determined gal! I would have been like, .1 miles in - Okay, that was fun...where's the bar? Just kidding!

susan said...

way to push through!!!!

Amy said...

You amaze me. Have a great weekend.

Liz Mays said...

The altitude change would be tough! Great job!!!!

Shell said...

Sounds to me like you did awesome!

Foursons said...

Yikes! I'm so impressed with you.

Simply Complex said...

Practice makes perfect. At least that's what I've heard.

Sandra said...

Well you completed the run and lived to tell the tale. I'm a runner too, but heat and altitude, well, shoot me in the leg so I don't have to go out. That'll be my excuse: gunshot wound left femur.
I saw the name of your blog, and was like, "I used to not be domestically challenged before I started blogging!"
Great post!

AiringMyLaundry said...

I think I'd be dead if I ran 5 miles.

Or passed out in the middle of the sidewalk.

Betty Manousos said...

Good for you!
You are my hero!
Big hugs,
B xx

Cool Gal said...

Way to push yourself through. I can only imagine how tough it must have been to run at such a high altitude. Much different from what you're used to back home.

Love the comment about the cowpies. When you're in the middle of "dying" on a run, the scenery really does go out the window. LOL!

Adrienne said...

Haha! Good for you! I couldn't run around my block if I wanted to. Beelive me I've tried! LOL I am jogging challenged! I even bought an ipod to appear more like a jogger while doing it, and so far it hasn't helped. Thanks for the comment love on Shell's BFF. I'm glad so many other women could relate!

Rebecca Dot Com said...

Happy Saturday! proud follower now! come follow me back! enjoy your day and weekend! lets keep in touch!

www.justcherishtoday.com

Kameron said...

We went hiking the day after we got to CO and i had the worst headache ever! Kudos for running in that!

Kmama said...

Just reading that made me exhausted!!

peewee said...

I bow to you.

jules said...

I admire your perseverance!

Lindsay said...

The altitude is no joke! When I was a swimmer we used to go there in the summer for training camps and all of us super in shape athletes would spend the first two days huffing and puffing on the ends of the lanes!

honeypiehorse said...

Wow, I barely got to the gym today. Your enthusiasm shames me.

Teachinfourth said...

Wow, it's always easier to read about this stuff done by someone else than to do it yourself… congratulations, you should be proud of yourself.

Together We Save said...

Wow 5 miles.... I am so impressed, I know you are a runner but the altitude change would make a big difference!

Michelle said...

Having lived in Colorado for 19 years the altitude doesn't bother me but I have only started running since I moved to Maryland and live at sea level.

I'm headed to Colorado in just over a week and my BFF is a runner. We already have plans for some great runs. I hope I can keep up with her after living at sea level for 16 months.

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

You are awesome!!! I would never think to exercise on vacation. You are my hero. :)

Cheeseboy said...

Great description. I love running in the mountains. It is cooler and the scenery is great. Hate the altitude though.

Patricia said...

Wow. kudos to you for actually exercising on your vacation. I never never realized that the altitude would affect it so much.

looks you all had a great family vacation. I love your photos!