7.28.2010

Stuff

If you've known me more than, say...3 seconds, you know that I like to shop. Fine love.
My love of consumerism has been passed down to me from my mother, who also enjoys shopping.
Elijah? Same problem. Loves to acquire. That is the challenge ahead of us right now. For years, I have allowed my boys to acquire... a lot. These boys want for nothing. On holidays, we often have a hard time finding items to buy them, because they are given so much throughout the year.
Then, I go to school and see my students who have holes in their shoes, but can't get new ones until dad gets paid next Friday.
Or talk to a friend (from a place I volunteered at) who has lost a ton of weight...because he has been singing and scrounging for food. At 19.
Soon, enough becomes enough.
How much do they, do I, need? Is it necessary to have 3 telescopes? He hardly uses one. Who cares if the other one is bigger? I've been guilty of letting my boys have what they want, because it makes them happy, and well, I love to shop.
Enough is never enough though, is it? No matter what it is, there is always more, and more to buy and more to acquire.
So? We put a stop on it. The boys have their allowance and can choose how to spend that. We have always had a few charities we support, and we are adding to them. I am big on both local and global, and study each to make sure the money is being used responsibly in the cause I am supporting.
Elijah and I have spent time looking at different charities he is interested in (he is big on clean water in 3rd world countries) and chose ones he would like to support. He has a Compassion child, and will continue to support her as well. (we are open if you know any good charities!)
We are working hard to teach them to touch lives and not just things. Throughout their lives, they will always be able to acquire more. Everyone can. Nobody will ever reach enough though, will they? It is impossible. Each time you reach a new level, there is another. Infinite. I'd rather them learn to reach out and give, to touch, to see the world around them.
Yes, I do shop. And I give. (I'm kind of a sucker for that. Throw me a cause and I'll throw you cash- unless you are a spammer from another country.) Now, I am trying to work that into my children's lives as well. That way? We can pass down love and mercy as well as tractors!

post signature

41 comments:

Trish said...

what a great "trait" to pass on.

Every year we adopt one or several children to buy Christmas for. Kyle and I have so much fun shopping and picking out toys and outfits for them. That is the one "trait" I would love for Kyle to carry and pass down to his children one day.

...and 3 telescopes...really??? What the heck are ya lookin for???? and not to mention you only have 2 eyes ya goof!

Ace said...

Ahem... I know a charity...

~*Michelle*~ said...

I love the DNA you passed onto your boys.......

NIKOL said...

I read this book once called Living Simply with Children. It made me reassess the amount of stuff we have, and the lessons of consumerism I was teaching my children.

It's always interesting to get in touch with what we personally feel is "enough."

The Urban Cowboy said...

Right on! To give is one of the most valuable traits you can pass on. I also have always been a giver to a good cause. Recently, I decided to volunteer at the local Food Bank, and I experienced a paradigm shift, literally.

Kmama said...

What an awesome lesson you're teaching your children. Good for you!

Pres. Kathy said...

It is so important to teach our children to give to others. I love to shop too! But you are right, when is enough really enough? The more we have, the more we want. Simplicity is so nice!

Mama4Real said...

http://www.waterisbasic.org/
http://love146.org

{Kimber} said...

that is a great message to teach them.

Guacaholic said...

Life is lived not via things but via experiences.

Betty Manousos said...

I love shopping too.
I'm addicted to it.

Hope you're having a lovely day, Sara.
Big hugs,
B xx

Barbaloot said...

I hate shopping...and I somehow seem to have an endless amount of clothes. Weird?

I'm impressed you're teaching your kids already about compassion and charities. Good for you!

Tiffany Tweedie said...

I have been guilty of this in the past. Buying stuff just to buy it, not really because we need or even want it.

Watch a few episodes of Hoarders and it'll make you rethink your next shopping spree!

Roxy said...

too much STUFF only makes you crazy...at least me..I have a desire to just THROW away stuff...well at least TAKE IT TO GOOD WILL....
BUT CLUTTER WILL DRIVE YOU bonkers!! So put the brakes on shopping and know more stuff will not make you happy...just add to the pile...

as for below...
YOU ARE THE ONE who can STOP the FIGHT....
so blessed....see yourself as those who love you do...BEAUTIFUL, BRAVE, LOVING, and a FIGHTER!!
my money is on you to WIN this CHALLENGE...YOU ARE STRONGER THAN those haunting false thoughts....day by day start to SEE YOU FOR YOU!!!

Amy said...

what a wonderful way to teach your boys..

Nicole said...

That is really awesome that you are teaching them love and compassion and noticing people doing without. So many people do and I think its so important to give when we can! Your boys are so lucky to have you as a mom!

Emma said...

How awesome that you are teaching your boys such valuable lessons! You Rock! xx

Kristina P. said...

I have a major shopping bug too. I was looking at my closet this weekend, at how much stuff I actually have and never use. And yet, how many things I have on my wishlist of things I "need." I think I need a Shopping Anonymous group!

Anonymous said...

you should go shopping.... I know where some of the best outlet malls are....

Foursons said...

My 8 year old's love language is gifts. It is so hard not buying for him when it makes him feel so loved.

Mrs. M said...

So hear you on this....we buy and have way too much. Trying to cut back too - and way to go for having your kids learn about charity!

Jamie said...

I too love to shop and to give. What a great lesson to pass on to your boys!

Anonymous said...

It was awesome seeing you and the boys come to Bailey's benefit last November... and you donated even more than just your time working behind the tables that night. Keep up the good work and those boys will make amazing men one day!

Anonymous said...

HI Sara!!!My lovely bloggy friend!!! It's funny that you mentioned that because just today on the radio they were talking about nowadays how parents want to give, give, give, to their children. It kinda made me think of me because I admit I have been guilty. In the old days the children wanted to please their parents, when did the tables turn? We need to get it back to how it used to be!

The Ninja said...

Good for you and I think it is great what you are teaching your kids! That is an important lesson. I am working on it as well with mine.

honeypiehorse said...

Sounds like a great path to take. We sponsor a couple of kids with Childfund International and SOS Kinderdorf but 'compassion child' sounds like the same thing. Another good charity is anything raising awareness about polution or sustainable energy, since they need money to lobby against the coal and oil guys. Anyway, that's terrific of you guys.

Kaci said...

I really should start with the whole allowance with El...she has everything too. It's so hard not to buy her a toy or whatever when I'm shopping with her. She's so spoiled.

Cool Gal said...

Hey, we need people to stimulate the economy. It's good. :) However, I completely agree with you about the three telescopes and having a little too much! Sometimes it is good to say "No," even though it can be hard - I struggle with it, too! The whole allowance thing is an awesome idea as they learn how to save/budget for something they want. Great life lesson!

As far as finding a charity, that is a wonderful idea for the kids. I think it helps kids realize how lucky they really are in this world. Also, teaches about compassion and giving back. Good for you!

I know the food shelves are always looking for help. Might be a good place to start. Just an idea.

Thanks for another great post and reminder. I need to be better about all of this as well.

Kameron said...

It's a good decision to come to. I have had a little problem with online shopping lately. I need to slow down and take stock of what is important too. Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

Love it, Sara.

I know you supported Northern Voices, and for that, I'm grateful. :) You can continue to support them if you're so inclined. www.northernvoices.org

I need to learn to say no to Ally. The kid is getting really spoiled.

susan said...

great idea!!!

we sponsor 4 girls through compassion international and we also give to habitat for humanity and st. judes.

i need to start something like that with our boy. :)

Sarah said...

That's great to have the kids be part of choosing a charity and making decisions about how to help others. It's so easy to just keep buying stuff for kids! We've gotten good at not buying many toys because it became so obvious how much stuff we were ending up with that was never even used. Now we reuse or re-purpose things we already have around the house for play. But then the in-laws show up with a million toys we don't want...sigh...

"Cookie" said...

That's awesome. And a wonderful trait to pass to your boys. I have to say that I'm one of "those mean moms" that never buys her child, now children, toys. We only buy things for birthday or Christmas. In the past 6 months, I've probably bought him 2 tractors just because. I don't know... it's never anything my husband and I have discussed but we've never allowed "stuff" to be a big deal to out kid.

Holly said...

That is so great! And it's a good thing to teach kids that it's better to give than receive.

Jamee said...

Sara - I think it is amazing what you are teaching your boys! Absolutely amazing! That is something we hope to install in Abby as well! If you are looking for charities, I am in need of sponsors for my upcoming 5k for the Celiac Foundation :)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

You are instilling wonderful values in your kiddos lady!

Lori said...

This is very similar to what I'm trying to do. I love to shop, buy, and give too, but at some point there has to be a limit. Let me know how it goes and if you have any helpful tips!

Liz Mays said...

You're doing a wonderful thing for the kids by demonstrating how to give unselfishly like that!

Farah Jasmine said...

I love that! I want to do it with my boys because I think that giving back is so so so important!

I wanted to let you know that I'm doing a new linkup called "Makes It All Worth It Fridays!"

http://mothershideaway.com/blog/2010/07/29/makes-it-all-worth-it-fridays/.html

Gigi said...

Great read. I see now why my "less is more" post was similar to yours! I think you're way ahead of us in teaching our kids the right thing. The charity is a great idea. I need to put that on our list. We do things locally but it's not an ingrained part of our life, and it really needs to be.

Thanks for visiting me over at Empress, I appreciate your comment :)

King J's Queen said...

Well said. What a wonderful life lesson for the boys. We try to instill the same in Princess E and help her develop a servant's heart.