I have wanted my nose pierced for 6777777779 (excuse me, my cat rudely walked right over the keyboard) I have wanted my nose pierced for around 5 years. The reasons I've not done it ranged from
•i am a teacher, teachers can't pierce their noses, right? •people might not like it • I am a chicken•my husband said it would make my nose look big• I was worried what people might think of it
On my way to an appointment on Thursday, I decided- as I drove- that I was going to do it. I was going to get it done that day. It was a "reward" of sorts. For believing in myself, for allowing myself to not worry about what others thought, to quell negative thinking and to just do something I've wanted to. (insert some jibberish about internal vs. external locus of control here) Arriving early!! at my appointment*, I called and made the appointment. In 4 hours? I would have it done .
...4 hours later...
I am sitting in the back room of a salon, watching the lady disinfect pretty much everything 4-78 times. I've never seen so much disinfecting done in my life.
I'll admit- the sight of the BIG needle gave me a bit of a shock. Not to mention when she handed me a tissue to, "Catch the tears that will come." perfect. awesome. She proceeded to stab the life out of me with a needle, do some twisting, turning, banging and such, and BOOM! I had my piercing.
I floated on cloud nine all afternoon. I put a pic on twitter, I text my friends the same pic (which btw, made me look mad, and one friend sent me a text back asking why I was mad at him. There goes my "cool into the sun" look.) I showed my boys, who were unimpressed. My husband thought it was adorable.
Then I woke up at 1:43 a.m.. I felt the funny post in my nose, much more uncomfortable than earlier. I reached up and touched my nose. Nothing. Nada. I scraped it a bit. Nothing. Ran into the bathroom and looked- it was gone, it had slid through the hole, and into my nose. I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out what to do with it. Finally, using a jewelers pliers, I was able to get it out. Then? I spent the next 30 minutes trying to get it back in. At 2:35 a.m, I woke up Corey and asked him to help me shove it in. He tried, and proceeded to almost pass out. He was gray and looked near death. It took him 10 minutes to avoid vomiting/passing out. awesome. I decided to leave it until morning and call the salon.
She couldn't get me in until 2 p.m., so I waited...waited...waited patiently. We decided that possibly the cartilage on my left nostril was more thick than on my right.(never one to be normal here) We would pierce my right nostril instead.
Oh. My. Pain. I thought the pain was bad on Thursday? Ha! A mere introduction to the pain I would feel on Friday. Oh, the pain. The pain. She used a smaller needle, I screamed, cried, twitched and tried to act like a lady. (ahem.) The twisting, torture...ouch! But, like childbirth, I forgot the pain soon after okay, that's a lie. I remember it, and at least with childbirth? you have the options of drugs.
I have it though! It is here, resting in my nose, getting used to its new home. I love it, adore it. I don't care if it makes my big nose look bigger. It's mine.

Rather than concentrate on the near death pain experience it was, I believe I will concentrate on the positive. How many people get to fulfill a dream- TWICE!- in two days? once in each nostril no less!

71 comments:
SO Cute girl! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!
It is cute. But that would freak me the hell out!!!
It looks so good on you!! Totally worth the pain, right??
Oh my goodness Sara you are so funny (I understand about the cat typing- they like to have a say in everything)!
My sister SaraH (yes she's one w/ an 'h') got her nose pierced this week too.
You look very cute! Hope the pain has subsided, that was quite the ordeal!
Hope you have a good week :)
Love it! It's so cute! And now we have yet another thing that makes us pretty much exactly alike :). Sorry you had such a tough time getting done though! And, don't worry about people thinking less of you for having it. I've found that most people don't even notice mine. I've had it for 13 years and it's just part of my normal appearance now.
Shut the front door!! TWICE! WOW! =) It does look awesome on you! I want one.
No way I would have done it twice. Something to be proud of for sure!
It looks really cute! Good for you for doing something for yourself and not caring what everyone else thinks. I'm trying to work up the courage to get my tattoo :)
I'm with Corey. It is adorable AND I totally would be passing out trying to jam it back into someone's nose. eek.
So cute though!
It looks awesome and I feel the same way as you do, about my tattoo.
Very nice. And good for you. I've been threatening to have by belly button pierced when I get off the last ten pounds--but at 50 I'm thinking it might be too late.
Kudos for having the guts to do it!
HOLY NOSE HOLE SARA!!!!!
I have always wanted to ask some one with a nose ring this question.....Do you have a back on the thing or not??
:O)
Good for you for doing something and not caring what others think. :) I'm proud of you!
Remember, your life is yours. Live it how you want and BE HAPPY!
Congratulations!
You totally ROCK!!! I don't think I could do it once...let alone twice!!! Good for you! It looks super cute!
It's cute! And of course, only you would have to have it pierced twice! OK, fine that would totally happen to me too. Whatev'
I should tell you about the time I let my sister pierce my upper ear with a safety pin! Not the smartest thing, I assure you.
So cute! I love it!! I've wanted one for a while but my boss strictly forbid it. Boo!
I can't believe you endured the pain TWICE or really THREE times. I think it's awesome that you are doing what you want to do and not what other people think you should do. Keep breaking that mold!
so awesome! it looks great! love it!!! go you for doing what you wanted!
Oh my gosh-just thinking about a needle going into my nose---and then LOSING it inside my nose? Gosh-I could never!
Glad you got your wish, and I'm glad you're happy with it!
I love it! Of course, yhats always one thing I have wanted as well. I keep telling myself I'm too old to be doing that, but really, I'm not. Congrats to you!
I LOVE it! Reading what you went through though I think will prevent me from ever doing it...although I've kinda wanted too too for a long time!
Totally cute! I half heartedly tried to convince hubs I needed mine done on vacation but he wouldn't hear of it! Then I tried pushing for a new tattoo. That was a no go too. Bummer.
I have always wanted my nose pierced too but it is against hospital dress code. Boo.
And this totally something that would happen to you. :)
very cute!!! I've always wanted mine done, but I am a legal assistant and I'm quite sure my boss would frown on it. What I really want is a tattoo on the back of my neck....still trying to talk the hubs into it!
What a cool story! It looks very cute! I've always wanted my tongue pierced but my dentist talked me out of it! Got my belly button done instead : )
You are SO BRAVE!!! Good for you! And teachers are certainly allowed to have lives and self expression outside of school!
Love it!! Only you can make a simple trip to get her nose pierced hilarious!! :)
That is some serious commitment to jewelry. No way would I have gone through that twice! But it looks way cute.
I really like it!
I kind of want one myself, but I'm afraid that it will bring attention to my pores.
I once had 5 of my earring holes close when I as in HS... was in the hosp for so long and you cant wear earrings there. So I went one day and got all 5 re-opened. Talk about being green!!!!
It looks really good! But after the pain the first time, I'm surprised you went back and had it done *again*. Eek. You are a stronger, braver woman than I.
you look so good!!!
like you said, how many people actually have had BOTH nostrils pierced.
you are a special one, that's for sure! :)
Love it! Can't believe you went through all of that pain though!!!
I think it's adorable!!
I have thought numerous times about getting one bc I think they are so cute!!
good for you for making a dream come true...twice :)
omg give it to me and I will stick it in.... Gratz sugar... so now when is the belly button?
how about a close up?
does it leak?
adorable no.... sexy yes...
It is super cute. I don't know if I could have gone back and had the other side done after being traumatized like that though!! Kudos!
You look super adorable! :) I know what you mean about the sense of accomplishment and not caring about what anyone else says. That's how I feel about my tattoos. I got two of them in September!
That *is* cute! I cannot believe you did it twice, even after it didn't work right the first time -- you deserve an award for persistence, and another for bravery! YOU GO, GIRL! ;-)
It looks AWESOME!
Awesome!!! I'm not sure I could handle the pain, though!!!
LUCKY Girl!!! It looks awesome on you...you are fearless, ferocious and a HOT Mamma to boot!
Enjoy it!
It looks so cute on you!
It looks fabulous! I could have told you it would look great on you. :) Don't worry about what others think...if I can make a pretty decent career in the corporate finance world with one, you can survive too. :)
Enjoy!!!
Only you would have to go have it done twice! I think it looks great and I don't think you have a big nose. I on the other hand have a huge nose and a ring would indeed make it look bigger. Not to mention the 8 out of the 12 months when I'm a snot factory. I don't think that would be a good time.
Holy gawd! That sounded painful and downright scary. But it looks good though, good for you for getting it done.
I do love it! I have had mine in for almost two years and I still love it. I wear the bone because those screw ones always fall out of my nose too and I had a very similar situation as you did with a epic meltdown on my part. Thankfully my hubby was able to get it back in for me! ;-)
I can not believe you had to do it twice, and that you were willing!
My daughter pierced hers on the flip side of where yours is. I guess it's where yours was supposed to be, lol. Anyhow, I think it looks just great on both of you!
I got my nose pierced a couple years ago and loved it. I got a job and they made me put a retainer in it every single day, which caused infection. I was so sad I had to take it out, and now I'm going to go get it re pierced because I saw your post! Thanks for stopping by my blog I am now following yours!
nice. way to chase those dreams...now you are just a cooler teacher...smiles. see the drama there in teh middle of the night...that is what keeps me from doing it...lol.
I love it! Makes you look awesomer. I would do it if I had a more perfect nose.
I like it!!
I'd be too scared to do something like that.
LOL I dont think it makes your nose look big!
Ive been wanting a tattoo. And I am gonna get one! SOON!
Sounds like a nose amnio...
It shows how important it was to you to actually go through all of that TWICE! Good for you :) I have a cat that likes to lay on the desk while I am on the computer too. She likes to lay her head on my hand when I am using the mouse. I guess she feels she can get a good chin rub while I am working.
I so love it. I have always wanted one also. Maybe I will do it some day! Have a great day!
That's awesome!! I had my done years ago but didn't look that good!!!
I love that you accomplished one of your dreams. Way to go for it. I don't think it makes your nose look big at all and like you said who cares what people think.
I hope you have a pain free day!
I've always wanted one. I think they're so cute!
You go girl! I've ALWAYS wanted one but have been way too chicken myself. And worried what others would think. And worried what an employer might think.....
Aw, you have me thinking hard now :)
This post made me laugh and grimace at the same time. Didn't realize there was that much twisting to it.
Note to self: if I am going to get something pierced (twice), it should probably not be the nose or other painful areas.
You look SO AWESOME with a nose ring!!! I had one years ago and loved it. In fact, I have no clue why I took it out. But I digress...it looks fantastic on you! Good for you, lady!
First off, you look adorable! Great choice but OMG, what horrible luck.
I have kind of wanted my nose pierced for awhile and hubby wants me to do it even more. I came close to doing it once but never did. My main hesitations are job related and what people will think but I don't care about that too much. My biggest concern is if it will heal well. I hate the cartilage in both my ears pierced when I was a teenager and they hurt so bad, never healed properly, and had horrible scar tissue that lasted for years after I took the earrings out. So I can just picture piercing my nose, it not healing and walking around with this huge scar on my nose.
Oh it looks cute... totally not for me but looks great on you!!
Congrats. you look great!
It looks very cool!! But better you than me. I am afraid of needles, and wouldn't willingly have one used on me. :)
I like it! How did the school react?
So cute!!
Love it!!
Big hugs!
B xx
X
wow!! love it. i would've passed out too, this is why my ear cartilage is no longer pierced. after YEARS of having it, it got infected, i took it out, and couldn't get it back in. just about died. so it's gone. always wanted my eyebrow pierced...you inspire me :-)
I love it Sara! You are so brave for enduring it twice! Your nose looks the same!!! Not any bigger at all!! :)
I love it! I have never seen a nose ring that cute that makes a nose look bigger. If anything your eyes are drawn to the cute little piercing rather than the nose!
Great job I love it!
LOVE it! It does hurt though, I have had mine pierced since I was about 15, but at least three times I have taken it out and then gotten it re-pierced because I miss it.
I love it! I always wished I had the courage to do it.
Post a Comment