10.07.2010

My Runniversary!

Yes! It is my Running Anniversary! That is, this month marks the 4th year I've been running, the first time in my life I'd ever run a mile without stopping.

I started running when Asher was 6 weeks old. I was looking at people run on the treadmills and thought, "Why not? It has to be better than my feet going numb on this elliptical."
...yeah she says many miles, injuries, scars, blisters, heat rashes, and yes, chaffing, later...

I remember being scared of what people would think as they watched me waddle along, doing my version of running there on the treadmill for all to see. I worried that my butt would wiggle and look big. I worried that my top half didn't wiggle and look big. (that's another story)

I grunted, sweated in unfeminine ways, and even fell of the treadmill once. Better than all of that though, was the feeling of accomplishment when I ran my first mile. I was so proud of myself, and literally could not believe I had done it.

Now, thousands of miles later? I am still proud of myself. There is nothing like seeing the look on my boys face when see mommy cross a finish line. Running is my time. I don't scrapbook, stamp, watch TV, do household work or other hobbies. Running is my hobby. After spending all day with either my children or my students, my running time is my time alone. I can listen to music, a book, or just look at the beauty surrounding me.

For my record keeping purposes, as my head is not highly reliable, here are the races I've done since beginning running

Local 5 mile Rodeo Days Run- 7/2007
Local 5 Mile Rodeo Days Run- 7/2008
Mora 1/2 Marathon - 8/2008
City of Lakes 25k - 9/2008
Earth Day 1/2 Marathon - 4/2009
Mother's Day 5k - 5/2009
Stillwater Marathon - 5/2009
Twin Cities Marathon -10/2009
Earth Day 1/2 Marathon - 4/2010
Minneapolis Marathon - 6/2010
Red, White & Boom 1/2 - 7/2010
Ragnar Relay - 8/2010
Twin Cities Marathon -10/2010

A friend asked me, about 3 hours post marathon, if I had more marathons in me. My husband interrupted my answer and said, "Why not, she's only 30?"

Perfect answer.

post signature

42 comments:

Tara said...

Just plain ole awesome! Keep it up!

Foursons said...

Sincere question here- how do you keep your knees from going bad? I had taken up running and had finally gotten to a mile w/out stopping and now my knees can't handle it anymore. Pain- crazy pain.

Lindsay said...

Way to go girl. THat is awsome!

Jen said...

Happy Runniversary! That is an amazing thing to have accomplished.

@Foursons - I'm not sure what Sara would suggest but from my personal experience, I would say try a different pair of shoes if you can. Different shoes are well, different, particularly on the knees. Also some cross training helped me too.

Courtney said...

I wish I could run. Everytime I try, I get realllly bad shin splints and then I quit because obviously it hurts and I don't wanna be in pain. :/

Do you have any tips for this?

Simply Complex said...

Thats super cool that you have done all that in such a short amount of time. Maybe you will turn into an ultramarathoner. What was the time on your first mile?

Barbaloot said...

You are amazing! I was doing the elliptical today for a warm up and totally thought of you when my feet started to go numb!

King J's Queen said...

Happy Runniversary! You should be very proud of yourself! But, how in the world did you run 6 weeks after having a baby?

I know about the jiggles. I can't run because I would jiggle so much I'd get black eyes.

Crystal Escobar said...

Oh wow, that is so cool Sara.
Hey guess what! You won my giveaway!!! yay for you :) I just need your shipping address and I'll send it off.

Kristina P. said...

You are a running rock star.

honeypiehorse said...

Really, only 4 years? That's so impressive I thought you'd been running forever. You look like a runner.

Kaci said...

Happy Anniversary Sara! Keep running, xoxo

The Stiffs said...

Congrats. Keep going!

Jen said...

Wow, that is really something to be proud of. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Runniversary! It's kinda comical that you posted this blog because I was literally thinking about you the other day while I was driving home. I was thinking how interesting it would be if you tracked how many miles you ran throughout the year and then gave an end total. In my brain I of course decided that the number would probably be in the thousands each year. Anyway, thought I would expose my stalkerish ways (seeing the fact I am now thinking about you when I'm driving my car) ;) Congrats again, I promise I'm not really a crazy person

Kelli said...

Congrats! Keep it up. I'm proud, wish I could do it!

Sarah Jane said...

I've never thought of listening to a book while running. That's an awesome idea.
Congrats! You've come a long way in a short period of time!

The Mother said...

Again, you put me to shame.

But I can bench 150#. Do I get points?

Trish said...

You are such an inspriation to me!! I am still woggling and who knows where I may be 4 years from now.
Thank goodness that I don't have alot of neighbors cause my caboos shakin is not a pretty sight!

Mrs. M said...

Congrats - you have a LOT more marathons in you!! :)

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Congratulations! You're awesome, Sara! Keep on running.

Nicole said...

Great job!!! Congratulations on your runniversary! Very cool!!!

Debbie said...

Congrats! That is an incredible accomplishment.

Kameron said...

If I could just make myself get started in a habit of running again I think it would be great for me. Oh the motivation....

Congrats on your runniversary!

Stephanie said...

You really are an inspiration. Happy runnaversary!

Amy said...

Congrats that is so amazing.. I am very proud of you...

Anonymous said...

you have come a long way in 4 years...


was it worth every second?


I'm betting it was...

Jamie said...

Happy runniversary! You've come a long way in those 4 years!

Cheeseboy said...

I started at about the exact same time. Although I have only done two half marathons, one full and various Ragnar. I bow to your awesomeness.

Maude Lynn said...

Holy wow!

Miller Racing Family said...

Girl, you are amazing. Let's just say we will leave the running to you and the cooking to me. I think we would make an unstoppable team.
Have a great weekend!

Laura Marchant said...

I am going on Sunday to support my sister for her first ever marathon. She says I will get the itch, lol we'll see about that.

Loukia said...

You're amazing!

Angela said...

Wow you've accomplished a lot!

Happy Runniversary!!! :D Keep it up!

So excited to follow your running journeys! I love that you're a teacher & a runner- two of my fav things!

Michelle Pixie said...

You inspire me! I will never be able to run a marathon or even really run period {unless someone is chasing me?!} but I walk and walk fast and you remind me of why I do it...For Me! Keep running my friend! ;-)

Emma said...

That's amazing and you've done so many! I have a place in next year's London marathon (again) but I don't know if I can put myself through the torture! Just looking at the route makes me feel sick!!! xx

Anonymous said...

Awesome. But is it a teeny bit wrong that I would almost pay money to see you fall off a treadmill? Obviously knowing you would be okay!! :)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Congrats! Now go eat a cupcake. HA!

Lady Mama said...

Wow! Good for you - that's amazing!

Meghan said...

Girl, you are totally inspiring me to continue running! I am so impressed with your race schedule - it's incredible!

Kristin said...

Happy (late) Runniversary! I think I need to start celebrating my own runniversary! I'm glad I found your blog that writes about running too! :-)

Ava DeVitis said...

Hi Sara,

I was just reading about all the running you've been doing. What an amazing story! I am working on running long distance, and building my way up to a 1/2 marathon. What made you make the leap to the full Marathon? My husband has done two and says that he feels great at the 1/2 marathon distance, but by the end of the full marathon, I have to throw him onto a push cart to get him home. Is there a training schedule in your blog somewhere I could follow?