10.03.2010

Twin Cities Marathon Recap!

Saying I adore the Twin Cities Marathon is an understatement. There is something about the setting, runners, and crowd that make it an experience like no other.
Leading up to this marathon, during the past week, I have been a wreck. Absolute wreck. I kept doubting myself, my training, my abilities. It was awful. I was emailing my dear friend Kaci on Thursday, telling her "I'm never going to make it! I am a failure!" Kaci, like the awesome friend she is, responded in just the way I needed to hear it, "Shut it, Sara. You are going to rock."
By Friday, at packet pick up, I was sick to my stomach. (Fine, not to sick to shop around.) Saturday? Same deal. I'm not sure why I felt this way, or why it was worse than other races, but hey, that's me!

My goal going into the race was to try and stay under a 10 minute mile. My last marathon, I was at a 10:01 pace, and I wanted to break it. Unfortunately, I got into the corral a bit late, so I couldn't make it up to the race pace group I wanted, and was back in the 5:30 group.

Here we are at the start...I'm, um, well probably not in this picture.
Or this one, as we round the corner, headed through downtown Minneapolis. The first few miles were a bit chilly, but I had on a long sleeve top and gloves, so it wasn't too bad. I threw them off by mile 3, and felt comfortable the rest of the way. It was unbelievably perfect weather- clear sky, slight breeze, low 50's- amazing!

One thing about the Twin Cities Marathon is that it flies by. It seems like the miles tick away at an unreal pace. I was back with the 5:00ish hour crowd for the first few miles. I wanted to get up somewhere between the 4:30 and 4:15 crowd, but didn't want to push it too hard at the start.
Finally, at mile 7, I saw a pacer's balloons. I was *hoping* I'd caught the 4:30 group, so I could get a bit past them. As I got closer, I saw it was actually the 4:15 group! I don't even remember passing the 4:30 pacer. I stuck with them for a bit, and moved past them around mile 10. I figured with 16 miles to go, what could go wrong!?
Ahem.
However? Nothing did! I felt great, and the miles kept ticking by. I spent time watching the crowd, watching runners and just enjoying the run. (Shout out to RunMommyRun for the great cheering!) My longest miles (you know, where the evil race directors say the mile markers are a mile apart, but they are more like 12), were 21-23. I concentrated on the crowd/runners, looking for the couple wearing lego heads, the dude in way short shorts, and the really cute boots some spectators were wearing. (Who says you can't multitask- shop and run- at the same time?)
Here I am at mile 25.5

The view coming into the final stretch:
The last .2 mile
Finished!

Final Tally:

4 gels
- 2 chocolate outrage
- 1 jet blackberry
- 1 orange

4 Tootsie Rolls (yum)

2 Jolly Ranchers

2 banana sections

1 slightly sick stomach during mile 24 &25

and the chaffing? Owwwwwwwwwwwwww.....

Final Time? 4:09:07, a 9:31 pace! Whoo hoo!

(If you are keeping track, all, um, none of you that was my 4th marathon, and all under 17 months! I am officially a marathon junkie.)

post signature

51 comments:

KK said...

You. Are. Awesome!

Kristina P. said...

You did it! Congrats, my friend!

Mrs. M said...

AMAZING pace - great job!!!!!!

Jen said...

Super impressive pace! Congratulations on another one!

P.S. I doubt myself before every. single. long run so I feel for your pre-race jitters.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the day that you believe in yourself as much as we believe in you. You ROCKED IT today. And I know, cause I saw. :)

renee said...

i wanna be like you when i grow up, sara!!! awesome job!

teacher girl said...

Ummm...you're my idol. AMAZING!!!!!! You did ROCK it!!!! Kaci was right. Treat yourself to something wonderful this week!!! You deserve it. :o) Way to go.

alison said...

ummm...now i really feel like crap for backing out on my 5k this weekend. in my defense though, i got taken down by a severely heinous stomach virus. congrats on your 4th marathon....that is AWESOME!!

Sarah said...

Congrats! Awesome time! You blew away your goal pace, too. You are my marathoning idol :D.

I'm starting to feel the pre-race jitters for my marathon this Saturday!

Lindsay said...

You are so awesome! I'm only on week 3 of couch to 5k, but maybe someday!!

Foursons said...

Congrats girl. And it's official. I will never run a marathon, I can't handle the chaffing.

Kaci said...

I'm so glad you set a PR what a awesome feeling. YOU SO ROCK! And ummmm....ya what I meant to say is, "Sweet Sara you will totally rock this marathon you are a amazing runner and woman and I love you." HAHAHAHA!

The Napkin Dad said...

Congrats Sara, fantastic description of your race. Even more incredible is that time! Sounds you like finished strong and proud!

The Napkin Dad said...

Congrats Sara, fantastic description of your race. Even more incredible is that time! Sounds you like finished strong and proud!

Cool Gal said...

Congratulations, Sara. That's awesome! :)

Anonymous said...

chaffing, really.... you need my healing hand?

run run run.....

come here for your reward..

The Stiffs said...

You are a rock star and my hero! Good for you!

Kmama said...

Congratulations. That is awesome!!

Sarah Jane said...

Woohoo!!!! Congrats! Way to go. Totally laughing out loud about the guy in short shorts!

Brynn said...

better you than me...i only run if i'm being chased by an axe murderer.

"Cookie" said...

WOOHOO!! You are AWESOME!!!

Annsterw said...

You are amazing!!!!!! Congrats to you!!! Now get a little rest!

Trish said...

You are my hero!!!!

You are such an inspiration to me(even though we are states a part). Maybe one day we can run a small marathon together....but I am sure that is years away, since I am still in the woggling stages :O)

Many hugs to you!

The Mother said...

On good days, I can go 3 miles on my treadmill. SO not a chance on 26.

Amy said...

you so amaze me.. Way to go...

Barbaloot said...

Gosh-I felt sick just thinking about you feeling sick! I hate pre-race feelings.

You are amazing! Congrats.

Mrs. B said...

Go you! You're awesome! I know a lady whose hubby ran that same marathon! I'm not sure how it went for him though! haha!

Kelli said...

Just plain amazing. I could never do that ever. period. ever.
Congrats!

King J's Queen said...

Awesome job! You should be super proud of yourself.

I got tired just reading that.

susan said...

wow!!! great job lady!!! you are definitely an inspiration. keep it up!! :)

amanda said...

incredible!! some day i will...okay probably not, but i'd love to start running again. unfortunately the cold wisconsin weather, may have me holding off til spring. :)

Sarah MP said...

Holy cow girl! Good for you. You kicked that 10 minute paces ass!
Thank you for sharing your stores-I feel as though I can run through osmosis by reading your running stories. So far I haven't lost any weight but I'm sure I will soon : )

Together We Save said...

Wow - awesome!!

Liz Mays said...

You finished and you did it under goal. Awesome!

Michelle said...

You are SO awesome! Congratulations on finishing your 4th marathon in 17 months and your pace that is truly amazing! My goal in races is to stay under a 12 minute mile time. Truly inspirational!

You go girl!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Way to go, Sara! You're amazing!

Chandra said...

I still don't know how you ever get the mindset that you can actually run that far.

Congrats to you!!

Cheeseboy said...

I've done one and never again. Sticking to halfs for me. And I was no where near your pace. You're great! Congratulations.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

You are a running machine lady. Way to be!

Loukia said...

You are SO amazing! Congrats and way to go!!

Katie said...

Wow, what a great story!! I love it. I am a runner as well, but have never run a marathon. It's definitely a great feeling though. You should check out my website. I create flower pens. I have some great fall colored ones for the season in your home or at work. http://www.katiesflowerpens.com

AiringMyLaundry said...

Wow, you rock.

I'd have keeled over at mile 1.

Jamie said...

AWESOME!!! Congrats on another fantastic marathon finish!

Crystal Escobar said...

You are so awesome!!! I did one marathon, and that was good enough for me :) I truly admire people that can really get into it that much. Good for you!!!

Farah Jasmine said...

You are my hero. I don't think I could ever do that! Go you!!!

Charisse said...

Have I ever told you exactly how awesome you are? Becuase...man...you are pretty friggin awesome. Good job on breaking your record and kicking some serious marathon arse!!

Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

Yay! You totally broke your 10 min pace, that is fantastic! Way to go you junkie. Maybe one day I will be the same. I have my first 5k in a few weeks and I am freaking out over that...lol!

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Pretty awesome things to be a junkie about. Surely beats my coconut M&M issue.

Congrats on the marathon! Great job!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

congrats! You are awesome!

Jamee @ A New Kind of Normal said...

4 marathons in 17 months AND a 9:31 pace?! You are so my hero!

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

I've said it before, and I will say it again... YOU ARE AMAZING!