11.22.2010

What Thanksgiving Means- PART ONE


I know many of us will be celebrating Thanksgiving here in the U.S on Thursday, and even into the weekend. I hope, for each of you, that yours if filled with love, laughter, and family.
For my family, Thanksgiving holds a tender spot. As you may know, if you've been here a bit, my brother died on November 25th, 2004, on Thanksgiving day.
I am not sure I've ever told the "story" of Bri's death on here, but I think I will today, if anything, to be therapeutic for myself.

Brian was paralyzed in a car accident in September of 1999 at the age of 21. He had a bruised spine and fractured vertebrae C1 and C2. This left him paralyzed from the chest down, and with limited use of his left side. He was still able to drive and take care of himself. Like many paraplegics, he could lead a full life. However, he didn't really live up to this. Although he still found ways to hunt, fish, work on his '66 SuperSport SS, and other activities; he found himself in a deep depression. This depression, in part, lead to his death.

You see, Bri developed a bed sore. He knew that if he told his doctors, he would have to spend an extended amount of time in the hospital. Brian had plans. He had tickets to the Nascar races, cruise tickets, car shows...things to do. Sitting in the hospital for a month or more didn't fit into his plans. So, he decided to take care of it himself.

As you would expect, he couldn't. A week after my mom, Brian, and I came back from a Caribbean cruise, my dad found him, too weak to even get off the couch. My dad discovered the bedsore and immediately started to cry. Dad had researched this stuff, and knew how deadly these could be. Not wanting to bother with the local hospital, my mom and dad drove Brian down to a good hospital in the Twin Cities.

It was one long month. Brian was admitted on October 24th. From the beginning, things did not look good. He had sepsis, and his body was fighting hard to even stay stable. For the first week Bri was in the hospital, he was in a coma. The doctors said that he could come out if it if he wished, but that his depression and anger at himself was so great, he was keeping himself in it.

Throughout the month, Brian had several surgeries. They attempted to clean the bedsore, cutting out a large part of his thigh, including the bone. There was talk of amputation if they could not get things under control. Throughout that time, I believe Brian had around 7 surgeries. At one point, he ran a fever for 4 days, until they discovered a softball sized cyst in his stomach that had eaten through his stomach lining. He would be unable to eat for 2-3 months, if not longer.

We took turns as family members, being down there with him. Elijah and my nephew (who was 5 months at the time) were not allowed in the room, because he was considered so infectious.

The night before he died, my mom and I were in his room talking to him. I called Corey as we left the hospital and told him how normal Brian looked. How healthy, full of color, and even his usual little shit self. It was so odd, because here he was, looking so normal, yet he had just gotten out of a surgery 2 hours before, and was so sick.
Right before my mom and I left, Brian had a beagle stuffed animal on his bed. He took it and asked me to give it to Elijah. With my heart beating through my chest, I said no. I knew, knew, that if Brian was giving this away (it had been on his bed for a month) that the end was near. He told me he wanted Elijah to have it. He missed him, and being able to see him during the last month.

I took it and ran from the room, so he wouldn't see me cry. The next day? November 25th, 2004, we would say goodbye to Brian.

continued tomorrow.

post signature

40 comments:

Kristina P. said...

This is heartbreaking, Sara.

Foursons said...

Oh Sara, this is heart-wrenching. I am so sorry for all of you left behind.

Amy said...

Sara... Hugs to you and your family...

Lindsay said...

This just broke my heart. I pray for you and your family as this reunion comes by. Thoughts sent your way! :)

Lady Mama said...

I'm so sorry. :(

Heather said...

Sara, I did know that your brother died, but I couldn't remember the exact time of year. Praying that this Thanksgiving season will bring heart-warming memories of your brother, even though he is not there with you. It is very evident that he was loved dearly by your family.

Sarah said...

What a sad story. You and your family must have such complex emotions about it all. You tell it beautifully though, with so much love for your brother.

Crystal Escobar said...

OH my gosh, this made me cry :( I never knew this. So sad how easily life can end.

Jen said...

Oh Sara, I am so sorry. I think you are so brave for sharing what must be very difficult for you to talk about.

Sarah Jane said...

Oh, Sara, I am so sorry. How heartbreaking. Thinking of you and your family.

Lindsay said...

I can't imagine where you summoned the courage to share this story with us. I can tell just by reading your words that you loved him. I'm so sorry and I'll be saying a prayer for you and your family this week.

Kirsten said...

((hugs)) Thank you for sharing this story...even though it's labeled part 1. To remember how fleeting and precious life is, is something we all need to remember.

Miller Racing Family said...

What a precious post, it brought tears to my eyes. My grandmother did the same thing with Trey and we still have the stuffed animal and the note she left for him. Brian does sound like a wonderful man, who shares our love for NASCAR.
Bless you my friend!

Anonymous said...

How heartbreaking. I'm sorry for your loss. My grandma had a bed sore which led to her death, and it just breaks my heart still. Hugs and thoughts to all of you on this day.

Jen said...

This is such a powerful story. I am so glad that you shared it.

Laura Marchant said...

My heart is hurting for you as the anniversary approaches this week. I am so sorry.

bohomamasoul said...

Oh Sara, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine what that's like, to lose a brother. But it's cathartic to write it out, let it out, purge yourself of the memory and allow yourself to be taken care of. Even if it's just by your blog readers :) Now, Thanksgiving really has meaning for you: giving thanks for Brian, and the life that he led. It's a true celebration of his life, on a day where we ruminate on what makes us grateful, thankful, to be alive and have the love of family. Sending you so much love and lots of hugs, friend. xoxoxo

Rita Templeton said...

Oh Sara. How heart-wrenching! I'm sure it has forever colored your perception of the holiday. But I'm sure it's also made you realize just how fleeting life can be ... just as you've done for me by posting this.

Thank you. :)

"Cookie" said...

What a brave person you are.... putting this out there like that. I did know your brother had died but not the how. How something so small can become so big. I'm sure this Thanksgiving will hold extra meaning since it's on the 25th. Here I was feeling crappy about turning 30 on Thursday but you just proved.... that's stupid! So very stupid and selfish of me. I have many, many things to be thankful for....being concerned with turning 30 is crazy! thank you for putting me in my place!

Liz Mays said...

I didn't know this story and it's absolutely breaking my heart.

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

I don't even know what to say. This post makes me realize that I should be thankful for what I do have. My stupid issues and problems seem so distressful for me right now......yet they are nothing compared to your story. :(

Hugs to you and your family.

Jamie said...

wow... in tears as I write this. many hugs to you and your family.

Unknown said...

hi,sara!

after i read your story, i'm teary eyed. He's in peace now, with Him above. Your loss will make your family closer and stronger.

anyway, thanks for the comment. You're too young to be a MIL. My MIL and my own mom are friends also. Maybe it's the respect for each other that makes us closer...

take care always!

Kaci said...

Love you girl, :(

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

Oh my!! Prayers for comfort, during this week, are heading your way.

The Stiffs said...

I'm so, so sorry. I'm praying for peace and comfort for you and your family this week.

Kmama said...

Oh my goodness. I didn't realize it wasn't the car accident that caused his death. What a heartbreaking story! ((HUGS))

Di said...

Oh Sara - I'm so sorry! What a bittersweet holiday this must be for you!

Trish said...

what a touching story and one that I am sure took so much strength for you to post.
I can't begin to understand how this hurt you an your family. Many hugs to you during this Thanksgiving holiday!

honeypiehorse said...

I'm so sorry. At least he wanted to live and be active rather than lie around in a hospital. How sad for you.

Barbaloot said...

This is heartbreaking to read, Sara. I can't imagine the pain associated with losing a sibling---especially at such a young age! I'm so sorry you and your family had to go through this.

Sarah MP said...

I'm very sorry Sara. I know he's hoping that you and your family can still enjoy the wonderful holiday while keeping him in your thoughts.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Oh, Sara, I'm so sorry.

Loukia said...

Sara, I am so very sorry for the loss of your brother. My heart just broke reading your story. My thoughts are with you this week. Much love... xoxo

Tara said...

I didn't read the comments before mine but I'm sure they all read fairly similar. Such a heart-wrenching tragedy for your family.

I hope writing his story is therapeutic for you. Keeping his memory alive and sharing him with others...

susan said...

wow. i cant wait to hear the rest tomorrow.

i hope this time of year doesnt bring too much sadness for you and your family.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I am so so sorry. I can't imagine your pain. I'm sure he's watching out for you from up above...so proud of his sister!

Roxy said...

sara...
how wonderful it is for you to "write" about Brian...
he sounds like a wonderful brother.
Previously working in an ICU, I know how horrible pressure ulcers can get...and sepsis is a hard infection to recover from...I'm sorry he lost the battle.
HUGS to you for the bravery to share...and cheers to his memory!

Cheeseboy said...

Thank you for having the courage to share this story. I hope it proves theraputic as you hope it does.

Mrs. M said...

I have to agree with Mr. Cheeseboy...thanks.