Around 2 a.m. on Thanksgiving morning, the phone rang. It was my parents, who were on their way down to the hospital. The hospital had called and told them to get down there as soon as possible. I remember having to load Elijah up in the car, in the dark, middle of the night, the cold. He was in the middle of a cough induced asthma period, with all of us low on sleep, a touch crabby. Corey was a bit irked that we had to leave in the middle of the night, and I remember telling him, "Don't worry, this will be the last trip we ever make down here. Today is Brian's last day."
When we arrived around 4 a.m., my parents told us we the nurse had just come out and told us we had received a Thanksgiving Miracle. They hadn't thought they would be able to get Bri stabilized, but had somehow done it. She was in disbelief that they were able to do so. We weren't. Brian seemed to fly by the seat of his pants and beat the odds on so many things. He continually kept people wondering how he did different things. Brian had things left to do here, and wasn't leaving until he did them.
Sometimes, the miracle is the miracle of time.
The morning is a blur; I cannot recall much of it right now. We were able to spend some time with Brian. He was tired. He had been fighting this infection for over a month, his body was toxic, the toxic blood pulsing through his organs for far too long. He was able to talk a bit, but the energy combined with the drugs made it difficult for him. He would just hold our hands and look at us, squeezing gently at times. Some of his last words were to ask my parents to "take care of the boys" (his nephews).
Toward midmorning, the doctor came in to give us the news that Brian's lungs were filling up with fluid, and we had to either do an emergency surgery, or let him go. We opted for the surgery. My mom, dad, sister, and I rode in the elevator with Brian down to the operating room. We walked by him, talked to him, touched his hands. Hands rough with callouses from years of pushing a wheelchair.
We sat back in the waiting room. We spent hours and hours there with different people filtering in, with food, hugs, questions...
The surgery, on an already worn out, beat up body, was tough on Brian. His organs were failing, his body tired of the fight. We had to put him on a ventilator, his body too worn out to breathe on its own.
That afternoon, my dad asked my sister and I to come into a conference room with the doctor, my mom and him. After being given grim news, we had to make a decision on what course to take. We had to decide whether to continue fighting, or let him go. I'll never forget having my dad ask that question.
In the end, Brian made the decision we didn't want to make. He pointed at the ventilator, motioning for it to be removed. The nurse told him what would happen if it was removed, asking if he understood the meaning. He looked at us and nodded.
Like all things, it would take time. It was late afternoon, and everyone there had a chance to spend time with Brian alone. To hold his hand, kiss his face, tell him how loved he was...
Having someone you love die is a terrible thing. However, I am thankful, so very thankful that Brian hung on for one last day with us. His Thanksgiving Miracle was us being able to be there, to say goodbye, to hold his hand as he left us.
It was the ending he deserved. All of his family and close friends gathered around his bed, holding him, touching him, telling him we loved him. We stayed long past the time the nurse told us he was gone, not being able to bear leaving him alone, taking comfort in our mutual grief.
Later, as I sat in the corridor, a nurse came by, pushing a machine (i believe it was a respirator somethingorother). Only hours before, I had watched the machine being pushed into his room. It seemed surreal, there, less than an hour after his death, the room was being emptied. However, Brian would no longer need it on his voyage.
I don't write this to depress anyone, make anyone feel bad, that is not my intention. My intention is to portray what Thanksgiving means to me today, on this leg of my journey.
For me? Thanksgiving is a time to spend with family. To look at each member, thinking how blessed you are to have this time with them. It is fleeting, with each moment a gift. At first, I was angry with Brian for dying on Thanksgiving. What a terrible time of year to die! Today? I have come to peace with it. With this time of year, I am reminded of the paths we journey on throughout our lives. This was not a path we would have ever chosen, yet having it come before us made us stronger and closer.
Previous years, Thanksgiving meant stuffing yourself, feeling fat, stressing out over having things ready, leaving on time, making sure everything was perfect.
Today? Thanksgiving is about family and love. May your Thanksgiving be full of love, laughter, turkey, and hope.

56 comments:
Thank you for sharing this. I lost my mom over a holiday and what I would give to have had her fight to have those last moments. But that was not the case. I'm so glad your family could have those moments with Brian on Thanksgiving.
What a beautiful post. I can see how, if a loved one must die, the way you and Brian were able to say goodbye is the best way there could be. I'm sure it has taken a lot for you to get to the point in the grieving process you're at today.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family, Sara. I'm sure your brother would love knowing that his memory is tied in with a day full of family and love.
Thank you for sharing this. Hope you enjoy your family tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving.
This is a beautiful post...I hope you spend your Thanksgiving wrapped up tight in family and love. Happy Thanksgiving!
Hi Sara...Thank you for sharing this...it truly brings more meaning to this day..Bless you and your family..I miss being over here..I just havent had time to blog the way I used to...Have a wonderful time with your family....!
Glad you got that time to say goodbye to your brother.
When my MIL passed away last November I was so thankful that hubby made the trip out there to be with her 2 weeks before.
It is so hard to lose someone you love.
Happy Thanksgiving Sara, Brian was so lucky to have such a loving family with him in the end.
XOXO so blessed to have you as a friend!
You are amazing. Thank you for the reminder to stop and cherish everyone. I'm so glad you got to say goodbye. I didn't get to say goodbye to my dad. I so wish I had said so many things the last time I talked with him.
Thanks for sharing your story.. I am was happy to hear you all got to be with your brother during this hard time.. I will be thinking about you and your family... I am with you I am so Thankful to have my family and friends. If it was not for my husband and my little Alyce I am not sure I would be that Thankful.. They mean the world to me..
I loved the picture of your brother and the beagle. It makes me hug on my baby girl Belle more today..
I hope you have a wonderful day..
HUGs....
Wowza. What a beautifully written post. "Sometimes, the miracle is the miracle of time." - Wise words, young lady. Wise wise words.
I can't imagine having to make the decision about the ventilator. Brian's courage to leave this world in peace... amazing.
You have no idea how much this took me back to the feelings I felt just over a year ago…I am truly sorry for your loss. It's hard when somebody we love passes on and we are left behind to live without them.
http://teachinfourth.blogspot.com/search/label/Mom%27s%20last%20days
Just thought I'd share.
your story makes me love my family more and look at life with deeper meaning.
thanks for sharing your story.
I had to leave and come back, because I just didn't know what to say.
I still really don't, but I don't want skip this, because I think it's very brave of you to type this all out. I'm so glad you've made peace with Thanksgiving. I hope you have a wonderful day!
Thank you for sharing. You're right, it's about our family and friends and giving thanks. Thanks for the reminder. Blessings to you and your family tomorrow.
This is a beautiful tribute. Hang in there this weekend girl! :)
Thanks for helping me remember the true meaning of Thanksgiving...it's not about the pie or Black Friday shopping, but about spending quality time with those who matter - I won't forget!
*sniff* More than anything in my life, I am thankful for the blessing of my family. Thanks for being transparent Sara. Love you!
what a touching post! It is both sad and uplifting. You and your family found something positive and good out of the worst of times.
Many blessing to you and your family this Thanksgiving. Enjoy each laugh,smile and story that unfolds around your dinner table.
Many hugs too you!
Oh Sara! For me this was a two kleenex post.
Thanks for sharing your story. I'm going to go call my sister now.
Hugs to you and yours. I hope you have a peaceful love filled Thanksgiving.
Your words really hit me. I am grateful for my family but sometimes I take them for granted. I need to do a better job as showing my love and appreciation.
Thank you for sharing this. Really. I was there when my MIL (who wasn't my MIL yet) passed. It's a moment that you'll never forget, but also never regret no matter how hard it was.
Hugs.
crying here!!!
i am so happy for the journey you are on right now. you are doing amazing things in your life. keep it up!
i was with my grandma as she passed away, it was the most incredible thing ever. i consider it a gift.
happy thanksgiving sara.
Thank you for sharing this story. My huband's grandmother (with whom he was very close) also died on Thanksgiving Day, after a long hospital stay.
Lots of hugs!
Thanks for sharing this story with us. I hope the day is good for you---that you get to enjoy your family that you're with and they you.
Thank you for sharing your story. It's interesting how society makes things into what they shouldn't be. Thanksgiving is about eating a lot of food. Not just any food, but turkey, gravy, cranberries, potatoes, rolls, and pie. Christmas is about a fat man with a white beard, who flies around the world and delivers presents. Don't get on his naughty list, or none for you! Easter is about a white bunny. What does a bunny have to do with Jesus rising from the dead?
I will think of your story as I go to meet family and friends tomorrow. Thanksgiving is giving thanks to all that support and love you in your life.
I hope your holiday weekend is fully of beautiful memories of Brian. Happy Thanksgiving!
All too familiar. My family had to make that decision this past August, only the last time surgery was proposed, we opted not to do it because Michael had already had SO many surgeries in a month and most likely would not have made it. All the toxic, the infection, the fluid in lungs, all so familiar to me right now.
The emptying of the room so soon after the passing is disturbing too. I remember thinking, no way. Not so soon. We spent six weeks 24/7 in that room and suddenly, we had to leave it so soon.
I feel for you. I am so glad you're finding good things to be thankful for, from that particular journey. Lots of love and hugs to you!
Thank you for the reminder of what this is all about. It inspired me to write a post in your honor.
I'm sorry your family had to go through that - but I'm glad you were able to appreciate that one last day.
First and foremost, I am very sorry for your loss. I'm also really impressed with how eloquently you wrote about your grief. I don't know if I could have put what you did into words. I haven't yet. I lost my 34 year old sister last September to breast cancer. Much of you post I could have written myself but I just can't bring myself to do it yet. So, thank for putting into words what I haven't been able to. I wish you and your family lots of peace this first Thanksgiving without your brother. For me, there is a ton of peace knowing that my sister is done suffering and totally healed now. I pray it is the same for your entire family!
sometimes love comes with the very simplest of acts...
I know this as you do too...
and time, oh wicked time waits for nobody. But we have our memories and that can never be taken if we dont want it too be...
you so eloquently captured just how special this holiday is to you, sara. it sounds as though you've come a long way and really know how to appreciate those you love. that in and of itself is a wonderful blessing! i will say a prayer for your family as you come together in remembrance of brian. happy thanksgiving to you and yours! hugs.
I hate it when people say "just know that he/she is in a better place, they are with their maker"...I know this to be true but I would rather have the opportunity to have them with me...
This brings a whole new meaning to giving Thanks. Thank YOU for your story and sharing this incredible story with us. May you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family. ((hugs))
Thank you for sharing his story. I am glad you were able to have one more day together and Brian was able to make the final decision about continuing care.
I hope your thanksgiving is a day filled with good memories of your brother.
This is such a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing this.
I think it's amazing that you've been able to make peace and look for the positive in your loss :)
Thank you for sharing your story. Your brother sounded like a wonderful man.
I too am so glad you all go to say goodbye and be there with him in his last moments. Just precious.
Happy Turkey Day..
I'm so grateful to have read this. My brother died from committing suicide, so it's such a beautiful thing to have been able to go through this together with him until the very end.
(I'm visiting from Amber).
This is an amazing post!
I am sorry for your family's loss.
I can hardly write this comment as I have tears in my eyes. What a touching post. I am so glad you were with him when he passed. What a remarkable young man. I am so sorry for your loss.
Wow - I'm crying right now reading this. I'm so glad that you did have so many great years with Brian, but I know it's probably still hard...especially this time of year for all of you. Thank you for sharing!
I found you today via Amber Page Writes and I'm so happy to have stopped by. This is such a beautiful, touching post and an important reminder to all of us to be grateful for all the gifts we are given each day.
Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Sending great big *HUGS* your way.
Sara, your writing is absolutely phenomenal. But more than that, it is like a little window into your heart. I'm so sorry you lost your brother. I'm sorry you and your family had to go through such a tragedy. It is truly amazing seeing you sweep away the bad and find that shiny piece of good underneath. You are so inspiring, but to me, your strength in writing this and sharing this event is what makes you one amazing woman. I'm so glad that we've connected through our blogs, because you are someone that enriches my life and that's hard to find. Happy Thanksgiving, dear friend.
Through tears I would tell you that this is exactly what Thanksgiving is all about! Sending you all huge hugs xx
Your story should be shared.
I hope you had a beautiful day with your family remembering your brother!
Just found your blog and love it! I'm your newest follower. Happy Thanksgiving!!
You have just reminded all of us what Thanksgiving truly means, and I thank you for that. Such a beautiful post...
Being thankful for small blessings and tender mercies is the best way to celebrate being alive. Thank you for taking the time to tell your story today.
Oh my, Sara. This really touched my heart. When something like this happens, it really changes your perspective on things dramatically. Big hugs to you and your family!! I don't even know what else to say...
I'd love to follow you on your private blog as well.
My email is aliciaminyard@yahoo.com
Oh Sara wow that is such a powerful touching story. I can't imagine how it must have felt being in your shoes on that sad day. I'm so sorry for you and your family. You all have overcome so much-- truly the picture of resilence.
Thinking of you. Hope you and your family were able to enjoy each other's company on this Thanksgiving.
Hugs~ Angela
Thank you for sharing your story. That had to be so difficult to write out.
I hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving with your family.
*SOBBING NOW* OMG. This is just so sad. What happened to make him like this? Did he have a condition? I may need to re-read the beginning. What a sad sad story. I need a tissue..
Post a Comment