11.16.2010

Yoga

As a means to help calm me down, and reduce my anxiety (who knew I had any?), it was suggested that I find things to do in place of worrying.
Like YOGA.
It is not that I am opposed to yoga; in fact I have nothing against it. I have done it several times in the last several years. I just find it rather painful. Perhaps it is because I am quite unbalanced? I mean, I love running because you just go in a line (yes, I have trouble just doing that.) Yoga? I have to do things that require me to ground myself. Concentrate. Breath Deeply. Hold poses that hurt for a endlessly long amount of time. Tell me to lift my leg? I fall on my face. How am I supposed to relax and breathe deep when I am worried I will fall on my face?
It also strikes me as hilarious that when I bought my first yoga video lotsa years ago, it was a guy. In a desert. no shoes, no shirt, soft music, little talking. Just him and his mat.

When did we decide yoga would be this full on project requiring a:
Mat
Comfortable yoga clothing (cute too)
A Starbucks coffee cup
A Sling Backpack to carry stuff in
Straps
Blocks
Mat spray and more.
Where is the relief in packing all that up? Don't start me on the terminology.

Despite this, I am going to give it a try. It should be a nice addition to my workouts. By this time next year? I'll be looking fierce and doing stuff like this:
I will hopefully be a bit less stressed, anxiety filled and stuff too. I am anxious to see how it will help relax me (no irony there, huh?) I tend to have a bit of stuff going on up in my head, and while running helps me work through it, I can't run everyday.
I am also thinking of journaling. New concept huh? I feel like I am on the journey I am today for a reason, and have parts of it to share. Keeping a journal could help me do so, because although I write some stuff on my blog, or on imPossibleStories, I keep most of it to myself. I guess I don't want to bore people with my thoughts and perceptions of the week! Okay, of to go Yoga it Up.

post signature

50 comments:

Laura Marchant said...

I think I have the same yoga dvd with the man in the desert, lol

Foursons said...

I think we had that dvd too!

Good luck, I think it will be good for you. Now, if there was a similar fix for weight loss that would allow me to sit on the couch and eat bowls of cereal before bed I think my stress level would be zilch.

Roxy said...

sara,
I think it's GREAT...and recently starting going to a POWER YOGA class... with hesitation as I'm not a "yogie" but recognize the benefits.
ESPECIALLY the stretching and isometric strengthing it does...which help your running... relax the hamstrings and tighten the core.
Hoping you will hold that pose...AMAZING!
take care,
C

Kelly said...

I need to take up Yoga - I've actually never done it. It's going to be a while before I run again and I'm going crazy so I need some kind of physical outlet! The blog world has kept me somewhat entertained but every time I read about running I burst into tears these days so clearly I need an outlet, ha! Good luck with your yoga :)

Kristina P. said...

Good luck! I am not a yoga fan. I have horrible flexibility. But I do prefer pilates.

Lindsay said...

I am with you girl. This sounds awsome!

teacher girl said...

oh my goodness, my anxiety is through the roof...I may have to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Helene said...

There's no way ever I could pull off yoga!! I have a few friends who love hot yoga...yeah, put me in a room thats about 106 degrees and make me contort myself into a pretzel shape. Not my idea of fun.

Cheeseboy said...

I have done Yoga once and found it so embarrassing, I swore I would not do it again until I lost at least20 pounds and gained the ability to control my gas when bending into strange positions.

But yeah, I can see your position on the matter too.

Simply Complex said...

Oh come on Sarah, the Yoga socks are 60% off...

Totally kidding. Everything can be commercialized.

Sarah said...

I hear you about the ridiculous yoga equipment. Just more stuff for us to buy... I think yoga can vary a lot by instructor. I took a yoga class I loved in college and have never found another one like it. Anyway, good luck and try not to break your neck or fall on your head :D

The Stiffs said...

You, boring? Never!

Seriously, I hope it helps you find peace. Tell us all about it.

Cool Gal said...

I love Yoga. It's so good for the body and soul.

Have fun!

Kmama said...

Good luck. Yoga and pilates are so not for me. I whine and complain about the painful positions way too much!

The Mother said...

You mean you can't do that now???

Yoga is probably really good for you. But I could never get my brain into that Namaste mindset. Too much stuff to do--it just won't let go.

Jen said...

If you can to that pose without falling then I would be impressed. Really really impressed. ;)

Kelli said...

For the record, your emails always cheer me up. I feel like I have a partner in -what- misery? Maybe? Either way, it's not boring, so always feel free to shoot thoughts my way!

Jen said...

I started dabbling in yoga in college but I didn't really LOVE yoga until I did an Ashtanga yoga class at a studio in KC. I now do mostly Vinyasa and Ashtanga because the flowing movements make me feel less like I'm going to fall on my arse holding a balance pose since you only balance for maybe a few breaths. Plus they make you sweat.

So I would suggest trying different kinds until you find one you like. And it's took me a while to learn that while the instructor may be able to put his or her hand flat on the floor, rest head on leg, or really do any other super flexible thing, just go to where you can and eventually you get better. Since I haven't been running, I've been doing lots of yoga and I like it but I so miss running.

Brynn said...

there is no way my t-rex arms could hold up my junk-in-the-trunk like that. dag, yo. Godspeed.

Nicole said...

Yaye!!!! I'm so excited you're going to practice yoga! I think you will love it, its a great meditation kind of like running but taking a class. As you probably know, I'm a yoga teacher (doing a class tomorrow for office mates) and I can tell you it is very rewarding in the long run. Just don't give up if you can't get a pose right away, you will get there! And just remember, its not about getting there, its about the practice! I know you will love it!

Together We Save said...

My oldest love to do yoga on the Wii!! She says it is very relaxing.... it looks painful to me! But then she is 18, and I am not. LOL

Furry Bottoms said...

I am not sure about yoga, but I know pilates really help you become way more flexible. There was a period of time in my life when I couldn't cross my leg over my knee like a lady is supposed to. I just wasn't flexible enough. Then I did pilates for a while and suddenly I was crossing my leg all the time.

Let me know how you like it!

Jamie said...

good luck! I'm sure it will help the running but I can't stand how overly spiritual it can get.

Kameron said...

I liked yoga when I was pregnant, but I can't quiet my brain enough for it any other time!

Loukia said...

I totally need to start yoga and pilates!

Anonymous said...

its all in the breathing,

but if you are going guru in yoga...

I can't wait to see more...

Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

I love yoga, but I do see more results with Pilates.

If you have DirectTv, you should check out Namaste Yoga on the Fit channel. All you need is a mat.

Mama4Real said...

As I'm at the tail end of my diet again until February where I'll attack the last few pounds, I'm thinking about exercise again. I never did after the last time. I have plenty of excuses. I really need to replace our Wii Fit disc, b/c I actually enjoy doing that one. It's fun. Anyhoo good luck w/ yoga!

Sarah Jane said...

I started yoga again in the spring to help with some anxiety. The breathing really helped.

I went this morning for the first time in a long time. I did Yoga Sculpt at CorePower. Whew! It rocked my world, but I think I'll go back next week.

Amy said...

I have never really done Yoga either.. I think it is a great way to get rid of stress. I hope you are having a wonderful day..

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I feel too impatient for yoga.

Emma said...

I used to do yoga during my lunch break to try and relax but the downside was I used to relax so much that I'd want a nap!!! Lol!! x

Missy said...

We need to see some pics of you doing yoga!!!
LOL
If I got onto the floor, I could not get up!

Chandra said...

You know I've tried the whole Wii Yoga workout and I have serious issues with it. 1)I'm old. 2)I have no balance 3)I have no patience and 4)if that dern lady tells me I'm not balnanced I might have to take my yoga mat and stick it where it might actaully hurt her! LOL!

You go girl! Email me when your all limber and stuff...then and only then will I think about trying it again! :)

Barbaloot said...

I hate yoga with a fiery passion. I think I could benefit from it for the same reasons as you---I'm not at all flexible, I can't begin to balance, and reducing anxiety never hurt anyone. But I also don't think I'm capable of turning my brain off to just do yoga---which apparently is a big deal?

Mrs. M said...

You'll do great....just keep at it. :)

AiringMyLaundry said...

I wish I could do Yoga, but I can't take it seriously. Most of the names make me giggle as it is.

Sandra said...

Good for you Sara, I love yoga! I have done hot yoga and absolutely loved it! But last time I went, I fell asleep in the hot room, and my husband told me I was snoring. I think enough time has passed that I could show my face in the studio again.

Miller Racing Family said...

I have tried to fit in a little yoga, now that I have two babies and a toddler running around the house. Talk about stress.
Hope your journey goes well.

KK said...

Good luck! I'm yoga-challenged!

~*Michelle*~ said...

Where did you get that photo of me?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I think if I was found in that position, it would take a team of EMTs to release me.

Wishing you all the best in your yoga journey!

Amanda said...

Yoga looks great, but holy cow I am just not that flexible!! I'm meant to be Queen of the Treadmill, I think ;)

Stephanie said...

Oh I'll be interested to know what you think. I hae thought many times about picking up Yoga and then rememver how un-coordinated I am!

Lady Mama said...

Seriously stick with it. You'll see the benefits after a little while. It's hard at first when you're not used to it, but it is SO good for you.

Michelle said...

I've never tried yoga but have always wanted to. I've heard such great things from other people about it.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I really miss yoga. I haven't done it since college...I think it's time again!

Libbie said...

I gave pilates a good healthy go for a long time...never got to like 'em :) Good luck with the yoga!!! I do think it does wonders!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I just started back up with yoga, after taking a year-long break. I prefer power yoga, though. I have to admit, I do feel more relaxed when I'm done!

Anonymous said...

Ive been wanting to do yoga too!! I just havent found a DVD I like yet. And I sure as heck am not gonna fall on my face in public. So i will be doing all my yoga at home. lol

Crystal Escobar said...

Good for you Sara, I never do yoga but I really should.