I'm still going to play on the safe side, expressing some details, and concentrating on the feelings surrounding this...I guess I don't even know what to call it.
My aunt texted me on Wednesday, to tell me B had been jumped on Tuesday night, and was in the hospital. The details were sketchy, his dad was flying out, and we knew he'd "recover" but had some healing to do.
Details are still coming in, but we know he was jumped, beaten, and left on the sidewalk. His face was the main target, with several bones in his face broken, including his nose and jaw, a concussion, and NONE of his personal belongings were taken.
I guess that is where the disbelief comes in. Yes, he is gay. Was this a gay hate crime? Did a group of teens (or whatever age they are) jump him because he is gay? We don't know for sure yet. It was a senseless beating in any case. There was no motive, nothing stolen, no exchange of words between the parties.
Simply a man, walking down the street, cruelly beaten. Again, my disbelief is impossible to put into words. Why?
B had surgery yesterday, and more to follow. They put a hinge over his nose for now, worked on his jaw and one cheek. He will take weeks of recovery. His medical insurance is minimal.
I can say only for myself, and my family, that others sexual orientation is not my concern.
I can say I do not believe in this type of crime, and that is something I think we can all stand behind.
I can say the world would be a better place if we all operated under the umbrella of love. Idealistic? Absolutely.
But I believe in the human spirit, the innate goodness that resides within each of us.
How selfish soever a man may supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortune of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it, except the pleasure of seeing it. A. Smith
It is tempting to become jaded when we experience something of this nature, hear of such a senseless crime. I'm going to concentrate on sending love, awareness, and understanding to the world. I'm fairly certain that is going to go further then hatred anyway.
B- we love you.

55 comments:
Oh my God. I'm so sorry for your cousin and your family. This kind of unnecessary violence and anger are just stupid. Sometimes I don't understand this world we live in.
I'll be thinking about you guys. Good luck.
I'm so sorry this happened to your cousin. What a horrible, senseless stupid crime.
I hope your family gets the answers you deserve and whoever did it gets brought to justice.
OMG. I'm so sorry this happened to your cousin. It would be so hard not to be angry. I hope the operations go well and that he heals and recovers quickly.
I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. It made me sick to read the details. Praying he makes a quick, full recovery.
Wrong. Just wrong. I hope they capture the dudes and put them away forever. They should rot in prison and then when they have rotted, they should take that rot and through it in the dumpster. Not even give them a proper funeral.
I hope your cousin has a full recovery and a quick one.
BTW, I am now following you on Twitter.
Oh, Sara, this makes my heart break. I am so sorry. I will keep your family in my prayers.
I am so sorry. I hope he has a quick recovery. I think I will use your post to talk once again to my children about hate and intolerance.
I read that on Twitter and wasn't sure what to say in 130 characters or less...
So let me say that I am so sorry for your cousin and all of your family.
I thought we lived in a society of understanding and acceptance and yet here we are in 2011 where SENSELESS crimes like this still happen. When will it EVER stop?
God Bless your family. My prayers are with all of you.
...and the punks who did this...I hope they find you and you are put away and forgotten FOREVER. You are pieces of trash and should be disposed of as such. (I don't condone violence..but really, in this case I'll make an exception)
Oh my goodness, that is just awful! I am glad to hear he will be okay.
I don't understand how some people can be so cruel and carry around so much hatred. Unhappy and ignorant individuals, I guess.
Wishing you all brighter days ahead. Prayers to you, your cousin, and family.
Godspeed, my friend.
I'm so sorry this happened to your cousin. It makes no sense. I hope he recovers quickly, both physically and emotionally...
This is my first visit to your blog and I am SO sorry to read this. Things like this are so sad and really make you question how others could senselessly hurt another person.
I hope you cousin gets better soon and I hope something like this does not hurt his spirit.
How horrifying! I hope he can heal quickly---both physically and emotionally. I'm so sorry for him.
Wow. I'm so sorry for your cousin and his family. I don't get people. I seriously don't get it. People are who they are, and no amount of beatings could ever change that.
Some friends of my parents have a son who is gay. WHen they found out, it was like their life turned upside down. When my mom told me about it, I said, "Isn't he still their son? The same person they always loved? He's the SAME PERSON." I will never, ever understand things like this.
Oh my gosh, this breaks my heart!! I will be praying for your cousin!!
I'm so sorry to hear this story. I'll be thinking of your cousin and your family.
I will never understand how anyone can physically hurt another human being regardless of their race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.
OMG!!! i am so sorry. i dont really have to the words to express how angry and sad this makes me. i will be praying for his quick recovery and healing for your family. :)
oh this makes me so angry!!! Just because he's gay? You're absolutely right, it is senseless. Do they know who the beaters were?
We love you too, B, all of us out here!!
I think sending love and understanding out into the world is a good idea - I'll do that too if that's all I can do to help you and your family. If only everyone would think that way we could all live in peace. I hope your cousin is feeling better very soon.
I'm all about a little kumbaya in life. Hugs and prayers for B and the rest of you.
This is just terrible and makes me sick. I am so sorry for you and your family.
This makes me so angry! But mostly, I feel compassion for your cousin. What an awful thing to endure. I hope he can heal, inside and out, and I hope your family will too.
How utterly horrifying!! My daughter is gay and I am so glad we live in an area of the country where this is a non-issue.
My heart goes out to your cousin, aunt and entire family. I hope that he has a speedy recovery: physically, emotionally and spiritually.
This makes me mad, mad, mad. I cannot understand why people have to be so hateful and cruel. It's sick. Many wishes for a speedy physical healing for your cousin. I'm sure the emotional damage is much worse than the physical, and I hope for full healing there, too.
what a horrible thing to happen to your cousin!! Lots of prayers from me to him!!
I HATE that his happened to a loved one of yours. This hits close to home for me, becuase my husband was jumped once as well. Same thing - just badly beaten, including a 2x4 to his face and left with none of his belongings stolen. He was told later by police that it was a gang initiation, but nothing ever happened to those guys.
Praying for your loved one and that he heels both physically and emotionally.
Oh, no! That is awful. Thinking of him and your fam.
Whatever the reason behind the beating, it is simply awful. I will pray for him and your family.
Oh, how awful. I can't comprehend how people could do that to another human being. It's sickening. I hope your cousin recovers well. His injuries must be so painful.
I am so so so sorry for your family. I hope he has a good recovery. I kept putting off reading this because of what you mentioned on twitter...and it just sickens me to think someone might have beaten him for his being gay. My cousin, whom I think of more as my brother, is also gay and I kept thinking of him being in this position and, oh, I'm just heartbroken for you and your family.
I don't know what to say. WOW. I am baffled, much like you. I cannot understand any reason for anyone to have so much hate that they do something so evil. I just can't get it. What happened to these hates to make them so disgusting and EVIL?
That is what hate is, evil. It is wrong and there is no reason for it, no justification for it.
I am praying for B - praying for a quick recovery and that he is comforted by friends and family in this hard time. I can't imagine what he must be feeling right now.
That's terrible! I'll be thinking of him.
How horrible. I am so sorry and hate to think stuff like this goes on because of they sexual orientation, race, etc. But I know it happens, and it is disgusting. I will be thinking of him and hope he heals quickly. Prayers and thoughts to him and your entire family.
So Sorry to hear about this! I will be praying for your family!
THis is terrible. I am praying for your family. Positive thoughts sent your way girl!
Oh Sara! What a horrible story. I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine any circumstance in which this type of behaviour should ever be tolerated. Sending prayers for your cousin and your whole family.
Oh.my.word. How horrendous. I pray he heals both physically and emotionally.
My brother is gay and has endured years of derogatory comments and actions from complete strangers and even those who knew him (e.g. college roommates). I will be praying for your cousin and his family. Violence should never be tolerated.
So sorry to read this post. How sad and so uneeded to have happened.
Hope his recovery goes smoothly and quickly.
Oh my gosh. That is just awful, just absolutely wrong, and very horrible. How can people be so cruel? I'll never understand. I'm sorry Sara. I hope he makes a complete recovery and that he is okay. Thoughts are with you guys, lots of love. xoxo
i really dislike when others judge people. I mean right or wrong it is not my place to judge or act upon anything except what i see in the mirror looking back at me. The world would be such a better place if we all worked on that rule.
It's terrible when things like this happen to those we love. I hope he heals up soon and isn't in too much pain.
That is sickening. No matter what you believe, hurting or hating someone over that, is wrong. Hope he recovers quickly. Sending him prayers.
So sorry to hear about this Sara.
I'll be thinking of him.
This is terrible. I wish that our entire society could be accepting and tolerant and move past hate crimes. Thinking of you and your family!
So sorry for your family!! I hope his recovery is fast and pain free. XOXO to B!
First I am so sorry for your cousin and I pray his soul and heart will heal as well as his body. I'm sure it will be very hard for him to get over and forgive. Second, Folks listen up, this type of behavor is learned at home. As parents we must ALL teach our children to be tolerant of others, not judge, as that is God's job, and we must teach them that through Love and kindness is the only exceptable way of showing or opinions etc. to others. God Bless you and your family.
I'm so sorry that happened to your cousin. Totally a senseless crime. Sending positive thoughts your way.
I am so sorry about this. It's just horrible. I just can't understand things like this. My prayers are with your family.
I keep saying this, but it seems to get lost in the rhetoric:
Until conservative religion loses its hold on the minds of America, the young gay man can never feel safe.
I do hope your cousin recovers both his health and his spirit.
I am so sorry. Why must such ugliness exist? I'll be praying for him!
This is so awful! So sorry to hear. I hope your cousin makes a speedy recovery.
I am sooooo sorry for your family and your cousin! What a horrible thing to have to endure - people are sooo horrible some times no matter what their "reason" was...your cousin is in my prayers and I hope he heals from the physical and emotinal scars...PRAYING! XO
I am so sorry. What a senseless thing to have happened.
Praying for a quick recovery!
Oh no, I am so sorry this happened to your cousin.
Breaks my heart that there is so much hatred in this world. :( I hope he heals and stays strong!!
Post a Comment