In late January, I had a great deal of items I was dying to talk about here. Things relating to my self image, ADHD, ED journey and more. I was excited to learn more from you all, so I could add to my knowledge. However, someone threw me off track, and it took me a bit to get back on. {I tend to sulk a bit before I get angry.}
I could count on one hand the people from my job who I have personally told about my blog. The same for my hometown. No, I do not "hide" it from people, nor do I advertise it. Because of the career I have, the items I choose to talk about, it lends itself better to be on the quiet side. I 100% understand that this could be found by anyone, so I better make sure I can stand behind what I post.
Where is this going? (I know, like I said, I am working hard on getting to the point, it's just I love to talk. a lot) Well, in early February, I noticed on my Feed-jit that someone from my school district had been on my site several times in one afternoon. I don't pay that much attention to the feedjit, or my google analytics for any other reason than this. I could care less who else is on here, and if had to worry about what every person who I dug around on their blog thought...well, that's just not normal.
I saw this person had come from Facebook (which they must have somehow connected me to the ImpossibleStories blog, because I don't have a link on there,) and spent a great deal of time on my blog. There were searches for my name along with other odd queries.
I made note of it, but didn't think much beyond it. Like I said, my blog is public. It will happen. They were back the next day, and the several after. Then there was another incident, one that really torqued me off. It was obvious that, whoever this person was, they were not here to become my new BFF. There was a fake twitter account set up, which followed only myself and who they thought was another coworker (turns out just some other dude with the same name.) Um, really?
I talked it over with my husband, my friends, made note of it to our school tech coordinator, and moved on. I don't know of any haters I have at my job, why they would be so worried about what I am up too, and what the whole point of this was. (All of my IRL friends who read my blog say it is just like hanging out with me anyway, and they hear the same stories here they do with me. I say they are incorrect, and hearing them in person from me, complete with arm flailing and theatrical voices is much better.) It was better to just let it go, so I did.
Sort of.
I didn't post any of the items I had wanted to talk about so badly. I let them go. I let the thought of whoever this person was, whatever agenda they have, and the insanity behind it throw me off. I didn't want this person to read my thoughts, my journey...I was angry, and mad at the whole blog world. I barely read any other blogs (totally missed you all by the way) and had my little fit.
I'm done. I'm done being angry, hurt, upset, bewildered...
I've done nothing wrong. I have nothing to hide, although I keep this blog quiet. I keep it quiet out of respect for my family and my career. However, there is nothing on here that I would not stand behind if asked. (Except that post in which I posted the picture where I tipped over my cousin's wedding cake. I'll deny it was me forever.)
I'm going to post the thoughts I had this week, share them despite the fact there is a part of me that wants to hold them in. Really, it goes back to the shame post I wrote a few weeks back. I let the thought that someone who works in the district with me was reading these personal thoughts, with notsoniceintentions, affect me. It made me want to quiet down, not share my story, become more superficial (as if I need help there.)
I guess I care more about sharing my story, hearing and learning from all of you then I do one other persons opinion of who I am. You all have been a bigger part of my journey than you'd ever realize. It is your warm thoughts, emails, comments, stories, and love that have helped me along my journey. I refuse to let that go.
I blog for me.
63 comments:
I know what you mean. I worry about this from time to time and also with each comment I get from 'anonymous' I wonder just for a second if it's going to be another one of THOSE...maybe you haven't gotten one of THOSE yet. If you haven't, I hope that you never do...they are so not building or constructive.
We all have our levels of caution. Our local paper did an article on "Mommy Bloggers" and my participation in the article was contingent on my blog URL being left out. It about killed me to not invite in more readership, but my kids' privacy was my concern plus the direct tie to my blog under my legal name. Nope. Not happening.
Experiences like yours are disconcerting for sure. I'm glad you're aware of it, have given it serious thought and have decided to go forward in spite of it. Hugs.
i feel the same way about my blog. it's for me, my kids, and my family. i love that i have visitors stop by, but i get weirded out by some of the comments or some of the followers from time to time. i've had my hand hover over that "make blog private" button more than once. i've had people comment on a post in real life who i had no idea had any clue about my blog....sometimes it's a nice surprise and sometimes it's not so nice. i guess we just have to roll with the punches! ;)
WHo knew, when we decided to start blogs, that we'd have to deal with scray and strange people. We all thought, "I make people laugh, and they tell me to start a blog, so I can make others. So why not?" Then we get the idiots who ruin all our fun. Sucks. But stay strong, Girlie!
I am right with you on how I talk about my blog, most of my family and friends dont even know about my blog, even though it is public. I dont know why I feel weird telling people. I just learned how to check my traffic sources so I do see you is reading my blog.
I would look at it this way...someone in your school district is completely jealous of you and your fabulous life!!
Amen!
Keep up with the blogging that is the best way to show whoever it is that you have nothing to hide.
Good for you!! I'm so glad you share so openly...your blog is one of my favorites :) xoxo
We all blog for us and that is what matters. It's sad people have to "stalk" and that is the chance we take. You have been an inspiration to many that is for sure.
I'm glad you're back. I would feel like you though. Taken aback and a little upset that someone was trying to learn so much about me. I hope that with this post, they'll back off.
I have mentioned blog things to my friends and family, but they have never asked if they could read, and I've never offered it up - I guess I just don't want my blog posts colored by who I think may be reading. But if they asked, I'd let them read. And then try hard to forget they asked ;)
I'm glad you are moving forward and maintaining the integrity of what you want out of this. I adore what you write - your blog is one of those where I feel like we could be bff's if I knew you irl...
I think about the same things. You have to be careful thats for sure. Glad you are here though :)
I have read your blog for about a year. I really enjoy your posts and I am sorry that you have/had someone blatantly snooping on your blog. I am happy that you are moving forward as I enjoy your posts very much. I don't comment often but I have read almost all of them. I think you are a wonderful writer.
One of the saddest days of my life was when my child's teacher found my blog. Then it was another teacher. Then a few neighbors. I never intended for anyone in a 10-mile radius to find it. Such is life, I suppose.
I have been in your shoes before. The first incarnation of my blog was widely read by my (future) in-laws, who decided to stage an intervention with my (future) husband because they didn't like the Kate presented in my blog. That one took about two years to get past. Then again, in 2008. D's cousin randomly found my blog (which was search engine disabled) and was offended that I was disappointed to not spend Thanksgiving w/ my family (we were sort of bullied into hosting for his family). But my favorite experience was being blog-stalked by an ex-friend (who, coincidentally, lives in the town where you teach and her stepkids could be your students) who chose to tell me that she reads my blog so she can see how pathetic, shallow and self-centered I am. AWESOME. I'm pretty sure she still reads, and I used to filter everything through that "[ex friend] is reading" lens, but it was pointless. So now I choose to be more open because hiding the real me was sucking the joy out of blogging for me. Needless to say, four URLs later, I finally just enabled search engines - it was a big step.
A while back someone searched and found my blog by using mine AND my husbands names together. That kind of freaked me out. If I had kids, I think I would have shutdown my blog right then and there.
Let the haters hate. Someone who has enough time (and dedication) to root around on somebody else blog has bigger problems. You're better off not worrying about that kind of freak. :)
Good for you!!! I let some comments my SIL made derail me for a long, long time. It still kind of bothers me actually... but you're right- my blog is for me, and I also stand behind what I write!!! Thanks!!
You rock and your real-ness is fantastic. Thank you for not letting anyone stop you. If only more people could be honest!!!
yeah, I totally get it. I let the same thing happen to me on several occasions... let it totally derail me. Which I know is ridiculous, but at the same time justified.
I'm glad you're back though!
Soooo sorry you are dealing with that - scarrrrrrry people out there FOR SURE!! I think you are an amazing person and I (only knowing you through your blog) have the upmost respect for you and everything you have shared from your life! Definitely make your decison on what makes you most comfortable but I can share with you that I feel honored to be a part of our life through our blog world and you ARE amaazing person that should not feel bad about anything you have "put out there". You inspire me daily!
My advice is to carrying on writing your blog and just be who you are. I understand completely the fear of certain people reading, but I think you'll get past it. The people that enjoy your blog and like you are the ones that will stick around for the long term. The others? Nuts to them!
I had a coworker turn in my blog at work. She isn't someone who works directly with me, and she is mean and spiteful. She had gotten in a lot of trouble because I found out she was violating policies, and turned her in, so I think she was trying to get me in trouble.
Well, it backfired on her. Not only did I not get in trouble, but the director asked me for advice on starting a division blog.
However, I am much, much more careful about what I blog about. I get that you sometimes have to pay the price to not verbalize everything you think. And I think that is where a lot of people DO get into trouble. They confuse a personal journal with a public blog.
Plus, I'm not really personal on my blog anyway, but I never put anything out there, blog or FB, that I wouldn't be OK with my boss reading.
I am constantly editing myself, "just in case." Fortunately, I've not had anything like that happen, but it could.
Thank you for being brave enough to put yourself out there...Id miss you if you went away.
I think maybe your stalker is learning from the experiences that you so bravely share. There's that, and the jealous factor. I'm jealous of you. There. I said it. ;)
I'm sorry you ever felt like there were things you couldn't share cuz of who may have read them. There are times I'd like to vent on my blog...then I realize my family reads it and change my mind:) But I love your posts whether they're about axe murderers, running, or dealing with issues so I'll always come back!
Good for you! I always, always worried about it at former workplace but then I thought, well this is me and I never ever discussed work issues. There are sometimes I wish I blogged anon because oh the things I could say! I have always thought you are very brave for sharing what you do...it's like when I come here to read, I feel like you are very honest...not superficial at all.
Go you!!! This is YOUR space and it's too bad that someone you know in real life has chosen to invade your blog in such a creepy way that it would stop you from sharing your most inner thoughts.
But I'm glad to hear you're not gonna let that person stop you from doing what you enjoy!!
I thought of you (and a couple of other teacher bloggers I follow) when I was reading about that teacher with the anonymous blog who was suspended because of her blog. I hope your district creeper goes away soon.
Just so you know, I'm going to have to search your blog for that cake picture. Yep. Be forewarned.
I'm glad to hear that you're back and that you're not going to let that person stop you from posting what you want to post!
what is a feedjit?
Well, I for one, am glad you're back! I'm a blog idiot, so I don't know how to see anything about anyone else reading - maybe it's better that way :)
When I first started blogging a few months ago, I thought a lot about who might see my posts and what they might think about after they read it. I was OBSESSED. Then, I gradually learned to let go, because you are right, in the end, I am blogging for me and for my journey and when I feel weirded out, I have to keep that in mind.
John's family stalks my blog (I have a feedjit too) and I had to make a quick decision as to whether or not I wanted that to have an impact on my life. I know what you're going through. Some people just want to cause trouble and be stupid. You keep writing because I NEED your posts. You inspire me and make me happy- so there I said it- I have a girl crush on your blog.
Hugs and Stuff,
Erin
Dear crazy stalker-
If you aren't genuinely interested in this blog, get off. You are an idiot. Stalking someone you work with is both creepy and insane. And a fake twitter account? Really? Are we 13. If you don't have the balls to admit who you, then you're even more of a moron.
Oh, PS. Sara has plenty of "friends" that can track IP address and find out exactly who you are. Just sayin'
Freak.
~Sarah~
I think blogging for oneself is the best thing, but I totally know where you are coming from. Right now, I have a post in draft mode because I am trying to write about this particular subject without sounding accusatory or petty. Several people I know IRL read my blog, and I don't want them to misconstrue something I have written.
Does this person still follow you on Twitter? Did you block 'em?
If you move to WP you can block the IP addresses of work stalkers....
Nobody at work knows about my new blog and I don't want them to find out. I only have 2 IRL people who read me now. It just got too weird for me knowing that all these people were reading me and judging me.
Oh, I am so sorry this happened to you. Glad you're back. You keep on bein'you cuz I like what you have to say!
What a creepy situation. But you're right; you have nothing you'd need to apologize for or feel guilty about in your blog. It's just you being you. It's hard though, putting yourself out there when you know someone like that is watching. Glad you've decided not to let it get the better of you!
My first inclination is that it is someone from central office checking to see if you are posting anything inappropriate about work or otherwise. The school districts down here are really cracking down on social media.
People are lame sometimes . . .and you keep taking the high road. You are a wonderful person, who inspires me many a times just from getting to know you on your blog. So hang in there . . you rock :)
I am so proud of you. I am glad you got your thoughts out and that you blog for you. I enjoy your blog and you. Thanks for the welcome back!
I completely understand your concern, especially as a teacher myself. Unfortunately, several of my colleagues read my blog, but so far, they have been more than supportive. However, I never discuss my job as a result.
It's a very scary internet.
This is just me, but I stopped looking at my stats ALL TOGETHER! IT drives me batty. I'm better off not knowing.
Good for you! I have not read a single thing on your blog that would get you in trouble or that you would be ashamed of. Keep up the good blogaroo!
Oh my gosh, that is so weird!!!! Was the tech able to pinpoint who it was? I also thought my own privacy, but I don't want to live in "fear." I feel like if someone wants to know bad enough how to find me, they will! The internet is almost like an open book, unfortunately!!
But, I'm glad you are keepin' it real, my friend! I love your blog and how open you are!
My friend, absolutely keep blogging and telling your story. Write for yourself, for your friends, for whatever reason you want to write. We are HERE to listen and to read and to laugh and to cry with you.
Also know that we have all been there before. I hate knowing that certain people read my blog, hate it. It does hold me back sometimes, and that's the sucky part.
This is definitely an interesting post and it made me think. I haven't really told anyone at my job that I have been at for a year about my blog and I am not sure why really. I never talk about work, but I guess I dont want to have to tiptoe around what I say, but I am always surprised at how many people I never would have guessed have told me they read my blog. Anyways, I enjoy your writing for what its worth :)
I know, isn't it funny how one bad experience, or what we presume to be a bad experience jades the entire blogging atmostphere. I get the hissy fit. But glad you're back.
Let it go! That person really needs to get a life (Unfortunately, the internet can be a very scary place.). Keep telling your stories. They are very inspirational.
It's hard, I know. I don't post many photos (none of my son - well, current ones, anyway) and I only have a couple of friends who know about my blog (I'm not even certain they read it as they never say anything.).
Glad you're back and have made peace with this situation. Good for you!
Some times I worry about my family seeing my blog or my co workers...but I don't know why. Nothing I write or blog is untrue...maybe not always nice...but true just the same. Do I still worry...yeah. There are people I hope never find my blog...there are things I won't say because it is public and if a certain individual happened upon it then it could cause problems. But there are times I just need to get it out...to get advice...or to know someone else is going through the same thing.
I've been struggling with this for a while now. I think I'm on the verge of going private.... or deleting ALL photos and keeping it public. I enjoy posting for me and keeping up with what's going on in my boys' lives... but, is it worth it?!
Ugh - I hate when people interfere with my blogging. I had my bil's sister reading my blog and stirring up all sorts of drama. I finally had to block her. Sorry you have someone who is overly curious!
Preach it sister. You know I have had a struggle with this as well. That is why I went to a private blog then back to public. I had to stop worrying about those reading my blog. I had a family member that was using the blog just to keep track of our every move, but doesn't really care to see us in real life (really does a number with the emotions). Then I also had a coworker read the blog and read to much into an article thus making my decision to leave my job full time easier to make.
But through all the ups and downs I love blogging, I love the people I meet and I love the stress relief. I guess the world is just going to have to take us as we are!
Blessings!
Oh man, thats kind of creepy.
Well, I'm glad you decided to just let it go and blog about what you REALLY want to blog about. I really love all your posts, and have enjoyed getting to know you better.
Good for you! Blogging openly is so brave.
Loving your blog!
B xx
Hope your week is going good!
I love your honesty and openness. Your honesty has led me to be more open about the issues that I experience as a single mom. I am no where near you and I don't even remember how I found your blog, but I love to read your posts and would miss you if you decided to make it private. Thought provoking posts and funny stories make my day. As well as your reports of a good shopping trip! Hope you are having a great week and thank you for brightening many of my days!
My guess. Your little stalker is someone who wants to be just like you:) Yes, it is a little creepy..but I'm sure...I hope, the novelty of your awesomeness will wear off:)
If not at least it helps your daily hit count on your blog??
It is honestly maddening to know that people have that much free time on their hands and they want to use it to try to dig up dirt on people. Wow! Get a life and find a better use for your time! I'm glad you have chosen to not let them get to you. :o)
I totally get what you mean. glad you are back to blogging and reading more.
WoW! Damn that Facebook...
I hope your Stalker gets lost...
As long as it's not an axe murderer I know you will be okay! :)
Good for you! Don't let that weirdo hold you back! You see/hear that weirdo, we all know you are creeping around on Sara's blog now, please do stop it, grow a pair and show yourself, or move along.
Post a Comment