2.02.2011

Meeting Other Bloggers

I have met several other bloggers in my day. Fine, 5, but it is a start. Anna is one who lives within a 1/2 hour of me, and we have been chatting for over 2 years. We finally decided to meet up on Saturday night for dinner and drinks.
(Anna has put her point of view here in red, you know, to make sure both sides of the story are represented.)

Now, I don't MIND meeting new people, but it isn't my best trait either. I get lost, have the long location, or am late EVERY TIME. Yes, Meeting Beth and Heather? Lost and late. Had to call Beth 3 times to find my way. Lucie? Missed the turn. Like 5 times. Ashley? Even worse. We had the plans down, and I failed to realize there were 2 Starbucks on the same avenue, but 1.5 miles apart. I'd go into more detail, but the point is clear. I begin spazzing early.

Anna? I was determined to do everything right. Except I was a bit putzy, and got in the shower when I was supposed to leave the house. Luckily Anna and Angie are really cool with the "Slightly frizzy wet hair" look. (And yes, they were both totally adorable, with perfect hair. I'm over it. Really.)

Thank you for showering. I appreciate it. You looked adorable anyway.

We meet. It is going fine...then Sara kicks in. Being nervous? I talk fast, tell bad jokes, and give out entirely TMI within the first few minutes, therefore scaring the other blogger. It's pretty awesome.
You're too hard on yourself. THANK YOU for talking so much. It helped me. I'm painfully shy (unless you get a few drinks in me, then WATCH OUT!) But really, there was never a dull moment. We had fun!

Then? I spend the rest of the evening sticking my foot in my mouth in an attempt to make up for the foot in my mouth earlier. It's awkward.

By the end of the night? I am not sure if they are totally scared, ready to call the police, or whether they just get in the car and go "Wow, she's...um...um...well, at least she didn't off me with an axe."
Actually, we got in the car and Angie said "is she what you thought she would be?" My answer: yes. Honest, endearing, funny, witty - all the things I want someone I'm friends with to be. You passed the test, my dear. :)


(Um, now that I think about it? I am not sure how many of those I've met have continued to talk to me. This is embarrassing.)
Maybe I'm just as bad then, because I can't wait for us to hang out again soon. You rock!

I would really like to go to a blogger conference or something soon, however, I seem to be freaking out the blog world 1-2 bloggers at a time, so I'm a touch scared of a larger format. Thank you Anna and Angie for a great night. The code is safe with me, what was said will never be mentioned again, except for the next time we get together, and in the event of large amounts of wine which cause me to babble.

post signature

35 comments:

Mrs. M said...

You really must video tape these moments. :) Glad you had a fun time!

Kelli said...

When I met Audreya in person both of our husbands kept texting us lewd first-date related babble.
"Don't put out on the first date." and such.
They were worse than we are.
But I? I tend to curse when I get nervous. I get nervous around new people. So the first time someone meets me I sound like a redneck sailor.

Missy said...

Sounds like fun!
I can't talk anyone into coming to WhiteTrashVille to visit me...

Sarah Jane said...

Ooo...sounds fun! I us Twin Cities folks should meet up for a run some weekend!

Jill said...

I met Heather from newmomchicago.blogspot.com for the first time last fall. I was so nervous like I was going on a date. We hit it off so well that we are meeting up again this summer!!

King J's Queen said...

One of these days, we'll get to meet, too. It will be perfect, because I talk too much and give out TMI, too.

I've been lucky enough to meet up with two other (non-local) bloggers and I felt like a total dork each time...cuz they are waayy cooler than me.

Kmama said...

How fun!! I love when the other person talks a lot...it takes the pressure off!

Anonymous said...

I talk a lot when I'm nervous, too. It usually ends up in a terrible faux pas or two. At least I can squeeze a blog post out of it later. :)

Anonymous said...

Yo, what about me!?!?? :(

You rock lady...and are way to hard on yourself!

alison said...

that's the sad thing about living in the middle of the sticks...no one blogs around here. and if they do, i already know them and/or are related to them. gotta love the southern backwoods country! sounds like y'all had fun....at least according to the red text ;)

Kristina P. said...

I have mets TONS of bloggers. And I will say with some small exceptions, everyone has been as great as expected. Some are crazy, or definitely not at all how the present themselves on their blog, but most of them are pretty awesome. I'm sure you are too.

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

I am jealous!! I never get to meet anyone from here. But I'm sure you're as cute as you can be. :)

Kaci said...

OMG!!! You're so funny!! So ummm ya when are you coming to see me? :)

Little Sis said...

Wow. I think you pretty much just described how I behaved on my last date with the really hot doctor. Nervous + enough caffeine in the Excedrin I took to equal 6 cups of coffee (and you KNOW I don't need any caffeine!!!!) = I could see him secretly plotting to throw Patty off his 16th floor balcony.

Musta done SOMETHING right though bc we're getting together again...

Kristy said...

Aw, sounds like fun! Keep meeting and sharing with us and maybe I'll gather the nerve to do the same one day :)

angmartini said...

Ha! I had only started reading your blog the night before we met up. I think Anna asked me along for moral support : ) But I'm glad she did because I had a great time. Lots of laughs! It was great to meet you and I am now a follower :) Oh, and we had nothing negative to say after meeting up with you! And secrets are safe too...: )

Angie

Lady Mama said...

It must so be so nerve-wracking to meet another blogger for the first time. And getting lost doesn't help - I do that almost any time I go anywhere, so I know what it feels like.

I'd love to do a blogging conference as well, not sure it's going to happen this year, but it's definitely in my plans for the future.

Barbaloot said...

I've met a couple other bloggers, but I'm always so nervous that I've passed up a few chances to meet more.

Amy said...

It is good to meet bloggers. I have not met anyone yet in real life but I have become friends with a few people out there.. Like you have a great day..

Michelle said...

How fun! I went to bloggy boot camp in Baltimore last year and had a blast. Plus the Baltimore/DC area local bloggers are pretty active so I've meet up with local ladies a few times, once in a small group, and twice in a larger group setting. Each time I go to one of the events and see the same people again I feel more and more comfortable. It is hard walking into a room where you're supposed to socialize with a bunch of people you don't know.

Chandra said...

YOu guys are so lucky!

Hope everyone had a great time, it sure sounds like you did!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

That's so exciting that you got to meet up! I think you're way too hard on yourself!

Unknown said...

Oh but I am SO glad I met you! Even after only meeting you once, I knew you and I would be trouble together :) I sure hope I get to see you again!

Cool Gal said...

Sounds fun!

I am painfully shy, too, until I get some drinks in me! Something we have in common.

What does that mean?

Well, I guess if we ever met, we'd stare at each other until we were bombed! LOL...j/k!

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

this could have been a chick flick movie....

LucieP said...

listen here lady- I LOVE you!! We had the best time and would def be hanging out much more if we didn't live 1500 miles away. I'm still waiting for you to come to my neck of the woods! ;)

Amy said...

Happy Birthday..

Anonymous said...

OMG, this is totally me meeting new ppl. I recently had an old high school acquaintance from Facebook come over with her kids and so they could hang out with me and my kids. First I babbled, then I giggled, then I stammered, then I fidgeted, then I shared WAY too much. Oh why do I get this way?

Come see me at my Facebook page (Sarah Hulen) if you want another online friend, lol.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=100001012996771

Meghan said...

I love that you have met so many bloggers - and I think you should totally go to a conference! I have met two bloggers and each time, I was SO nervous. Luckily, they both worked out:)

Stephanie said...

Ohhhh sounds kind of perfect:) Like an akward first date! lol I have been lucky enough to meet a couple of bloggers irl and am afraid I came of quite rambly and perhaps a bit stalkerish? Meh. It is what it is! Hoping to go to BlogHer11 See you there?

Anonymous said...

You're the real deal. Glad we met, friend!

The Mother said...

I am not good with people. Fellow bloggers included.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Very cool to meet a blogger in person. I'm sure you were great to meet.

TheBabyMammaChronicles said...

How fun! Sounds like an experience I would have, if I ever got to meet any lovely bloggy friends :)

Teachinfourth said...

It's always great to meet those you met through blogging in real life. I need to plan another get-together soon.