2.06.2011

Old Mattresses, Corelle Plates, Life Lessons, and my Dad


This past Friday, as the boys and I drove to school, I looked out the window and saw this:
Making conversation, I commented, "Oh, isn't that silly! Someone lost their mattress on the side of the road!"
Asher laughed.
Elijah? Little did he know the truth which was about to leave his 8 year old mouth...
"Yeah mom, that mattress is so gross even grandpa wouldn't go take it."

Yes, Fine. Alright. I admit it! I'm not ashamed. I can embrace the fact my dad finds any shiny object on the side of the road a reason to stop, turn around, and go back to see what it is. My dad is a ditch digger. Actually? He pretty much digs everything now that I think of it.

Riding in the car with dad? If he saw an object in the ditch, we turned around to find out what it was. "Oh, look kids, it is a jacket. It must have flown out of a boat or something and landed in the ditch. I bet I saw 37 boats go by today, and 13 of them did not have covers on, and another 2 didn't have theirs properly latched. You know, if you don't take the time to put the cover on right, why bother? You really have to snap each of those buttons in place. That reminds me, I need to call Linda and see if she can fix the top to our pergola."

Followed by, "This is not a bad jacket. I mean, it has a rip in the side, and the zipper doesn't appear to be working, but otherwise not bad. It is an XL. Won't fit me (dad is about a medium) but I wonder if I brought..."

At this point, he looks back at the car, sees the looks on our faces, and realizes he is on treacherous ground. He gently, but sadly, places the jacket on the side of the road and hops back in the car. We take off, but I catch him glancing wistfully in the rearview mirror.

You see, one time, dad found a ladder on the side of the road. Not just any ladder, but a really great ladder. The find of a lifetime. Just sitting there! In the ditch! Almost hidden by the tall grass! Luckily, my dad's keen eyes spotted it. It has held a loving spot in his garage since. (To the person who's ladder we found, sorry. However, you will never realize the impact you and the ladder you did not properly attach on your vehicle, allowed to fly off the side and land in the ditch, had on our lives. Without your ladder? There would have been many a car trips gone on without random ditch stops. I now find it character building that dad would stop when I was a teenager, with a FRIEND IN THE CAR, to look at something. character building...character building...)

And? His ability only grew from here. Soon, we were able to use his ability in many other areas. "Sara, I was emptying your garbage, and saw you had these earrings in there. Did you mean to throw them?"

"Yes dad, I did. I received those smiley face earrings for my birthday when I was eight, and now, at 15, I am pretty much over them. They also make my ears itch."

"Don't you have a friend who might like them? There is nothing wrong with them."

When Elijah was 1, he lost a tan shoe outside in the fall leaves. With 29 huge oak trees in the yard, we thought for sure the shoe was a goner. Who would ever see a tiny shoe the size and color of a leaf in the millions of leaves in the yard?
Duh. It took him about 12.1 minutes.

I could go on...and on...and on...but I'll save myself the pain. We've rather embraced it now, this keen ability to spot junque objects, and my sister and I hope our children receive this trait as well. You never know when that shiny object might be a leatherman and not just coke can. (My ability manifested itself in shopping deals. I can spot one a mile away. I can smell one.)

One day, a few weeks back, I got a reckless hair and decided to throw away the old corelle plates we'd gotten as a wedding shower gift 13 years ago. They'd been sitting in the extra pantry for almost 2 years, why have them take space up any longer?

I should have known.

Wouldn't you know...that was the week Corey thought he may have accidentally thrown away his new iPod nano. He went to search the garbage. My dad happened to stop by at this exact time.

Corey walks in the house 45 minutes later, looking tired and crabby. Not only did he not find the nano, but "Do you have any idea what it is like digging through the trash, with your DAD standing behind me the whole time? Watching my every move, and asking WHY I threw each item away? (seriously folks, we have like 2 bags of trash a week. We don't even fill a whole little can.) And yes, the corelle plates are back. Your dad suggested we run them through the dishwasher."

Imagine my surprise then when Elijah said, "Even Grandpa wouldn't take that mattress." He gets it. He gets dad-with all of his quirks and such.
Yes, dad, I love you. I love the fact you spend $$$$ on guns you have never shot, $$$$ on boats & boat toys, but cannot pass up a torn jacket on the road.

Life is all about balance, huh?

post signature

39 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Funny! We all have our little quirks.

Teachinfourth said...

One man's trash is another man's treasure, right?

My parents once found a bag of groceries which blew out of someone's truck when I was a kid. There was this frozen berry cobbler in it which was delicious.

the higgins' said...

My mom is the same way.

You know big trash pick up days? One time she drove around and picked up trash other people had set out. My dad was too embarrassed to go with her. She marked all the stuff "FS" (free stuff) and made over $250 at a garage sale from other people's trash!!

She has found some pretty cool things on the side of the road, I must admit.

Tina said...

Oh my goodness! This is so funny. It reminds me a little of my husband's grandpa. He NEVER gets rid of anything because he says that you never know when you might need it again.

Kristy said...

Ha ha! That is a great story!

Lindsay said...

Love this! Thanks for the laugh!

Lady Mama said...

Funny story! It's funny how we turn our noses up at things that other people have disregarded.

Kelly said...

You crack me up! I enjoyed reading this :)

Anonymous said...

That's funny! Your dad would have a field day over here. I've got a room FULL of stuff waiting on The TO to make a Goodwill run.

Sarah said...

Haha! He has quite an eye. I think our dads would get along. Mine is always bringing things home from the dump. I must admit we've gotten some really good stuff... But it's gotten interesting now that Celia has some favorite toys from the dump. People ask where they came from, and we tell them the truth. Oh the horror!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

LOL. Everyone has their own quirks.

Jen said...

Oh I love this. My papa used to be the same way. One time he came home with red plaid FOOTED PJS. How/why/by whom these were even made, I do not know. And that he found them and brought them back, well that is even more unbelievable. But anyway, he washed them and wore them one Christmas Eve and we eventually made a life sized poster of the picture of him wearing them. It was crazy funny for us.

Anonymous said...

hey there are homeless people that have to sleep and that might, now I know its slim but maybe, right?

Guacaholic said...

My mom used to do that to my trash too. But now I must scold you: SARA! Don't throw away your household items. DONATE them! It's green and it benefits the less fortunate.

Kaci said...

I think they have a TLC show about that. LOL! =) AWESOME

Annsterw said...

Hillarious!!!!
My dad wont throw anything away...my mom begs him to and he will not!!!
He just transfered all the slides they had to pics and CDs adn mom is begging him to throw out the slides, screen and projector now and he won't - HA HA!
My mom just told him last weekend that she is going to have a field day when he is gone......mean but soooooo true!!!! LOL
:-)
Gotta love our individual quicks - I thinnk it is what makes us US!!! :-)

alison said...

i could have written that exact same post about my mother-in-law. we joke that she watches that show "hoarders" to get ideas! we are seriously considering calling in those "american pickers" guys soon :)

Mama4Real said...

That is so funny, I laughed out loud:)

Bulk Trash Day here is one that has me searching, but I don't think I've personally ever taken anything. Once when Rocky and I were taking a walk, he found an expensive pair of skis in someone's bulk pile, and he took them home. They have no bindings, and he's never used them, but we've moved with them 8 times. No joke. Every time we move I try to toss them, and every time he gives me some lame excuse... so... they're in the garage.

bobbi said...

LOVE this post. You could have been talking about my father in law. I love him to death - seriously - but he HAS to have 3 of everything.

Back-ups, you know...

Sara said...

That is hilarious. My dad? Exactly the opposite. When he got some new dishes he went threw a whole "china is paper" phase and each time he used an old plate or something, he just threw it away when he was done. And the first time I brought my ex boyfriend there, he was smack in the middle of it. Nothing like trying to convince the man you're dating that it is really OK to throw the plate away...

The Stiffs said...

That is pure awesome. I am so glad you can totally appreciate this side of your dad.

Liz Mays said...

There are treasures to be found if you just open your eyes, and your dad knows it!

Nicole said...

Awww I love the quirks in people, they totally make them who they are and what we think of most when we think of them! I too love finding old treasures in places most people wouldn't think, (one time I made my husband pick up an old desk from the side of the road that we used as a tv stand) but he doesn't let me do that anymore! I satisfy that need at fleemarkets now lol.

Barbaloot said...

And I thought I was a packrat:)

Cheeseboy said...

So is your dad a hoarder or does he just take the really great stuff?

Those earrings sound fascinating. Do you still have them by chance?

BTW, I lost a ladder a long time ago? Have you seen it?

Patty #1 Sister said...

I remember when I was a kid, I'd have to go throw away anything I didn't want Dad to dig out in the big kitchen garbage can, and bury the stuff deep because he'd go through my garbage can on garbage day, asking why I threw out this or that. I'd have to hid whatever really deep because Dad always went through the kitchen garbage as well, though not all the way down to the bottom. Otherwise, half my garbage would end up back in my bedroom.

I remember how he found a hairbrush too and mom freaked out and made him throw it away when he brought it home, saying we don't need used hairbrushes.

The most character building thing for me was when dad picked me up in our great-grandma's car as his was getting something done to it. 8th grade and he picks me up from softball in a HUGE, old, seafoam green, rusted, 25+ year old car in front of everyone.

I still cringe.

Val said...

I love this and I also love how you tell stories!! Happy Monday!

Kirsten said...

Our dads sound similar, though mine didn't stop for stuff on the side road. Mine just keeps *everything* no matter how small or inconsequential it may seem. And I can't count the number of times I've been talking to him about something that broke or doesn't work, and he has the exact piece of whatever I need to make it work again. Our family vacuum had duct tape holding the hose on (canister vac) for YEARS before the motor finally died.

They are pretty great, though.

Mrs. M said...

Haha! Yes, sounds like you got a lot of great character building! :)

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Your dad sounds like a funny man!

amanda said...

pretty much fantastic.

and pretty much describes my husband. ha.

Amy said...

This was a great story to share.. I loved it.. My Grandpa did the same things at times. Have a great day..

cakeologist said...

You described my husband. I tease him about being a hoarder...sometimes I fantasize about divorcing him just so I can get rid of all his junk. At least it is all confined to the garage and not the house:)

Foursons said...

Ha! I have to throw away things in secret or Jakob will pull it out of the trash because he was saving that broken toy, stick, coke can, piece of paper the size of my fingernail....

Brynn said...

what is that saying? "one man's trash is another man's treasure?"

so true. on more than one occasion, i have raided the lost and found box at school to see if i could find anything cool in there.

and yeah, definitely run those plates through a dishwasher.

Stephanie said...

LOL A Grandpa with a "quirk" Thosse are the best kind!

Kameron said...

I wish I could find more cool things on the side of the road! Tell your dad I'll go huntin with him! Oh and if you don't want your Corelle plates I'll take em! I kinda collect them. No, seriously, :o)

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

HAHA!! I totally missed this post!! Where was I?? I have friends like your dad. Totally cracks me up. Silly people in our family is just another reason we blog, right? :)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

From one comma addict to another...Keep on usin' 'em girl!