3.08.2011

ADHD Part 1 (in 2 parts because it could get long, and I am getting bored of typing about it.)

 I figured as long as I am parked here on the couch with Asher (who has strep) I may as well finish this post...which has been a draft since...um, January. 
----------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I have ADHD. Yes, it was officially tested and diagnosed. (also known as Putting Sara in a Small Room for 4+ hours and Making Her do some Testing. Then Asking Her if She Always Shakes Like This, and Taking Away the Blocks Because She Wouldn't Stop Messing With Them.) 

However, the tester and I both survived, relatively unscarred. (She did say my results were "interesting" as I had noted before. What does that mean? I mean, someone who has been doing these tests for 20 years says I'M "interesting?"
I thought I'd share some of my experience with the process, testing and diagnosis here for you, as I have had a few questions regarding it. 

I've made no secret of the fact I have a teensy bit of a hard time sitting still.
And concentrating
   and remembering things
like my wallet
and my phone
and appointments
sometimes my lunch
or to mail things
to finish something I start  
like a sentence
or a thought
I get bored of myself                                                    
 quickly
and really like shiny stuff
                           (fine, my coworkers will tell you it doesn't even have to be shiny) 


I can be very impulsive, 
and hyperfocus on one thing for an amount of time.
This fall, after fine, they first scheduled my ADHD testing in 2003 a bit of time, I decided to go ahead with the testing. I'd been hearing it for years, how I couldn't concentrate, sit still, apply myself...blah blah...
It finally reached a point of where I had to decide for my family, and myself, whether it was better to go ahead with the testing, or continue on the same path I'd been. So, I tested. 
The testing process itself is actually quite involved for an adult. Many times, children are diagnosed by a discussion with parents, and feedback from teachers and caregivers. However, adults? We have to go through a series of tests, interviews, and those things where you have to fill in the bubble saying:  
a) never ever ever
b) always
c) all the time, in fact? right now
(Due to the fact I LOVE conditions, I could spend a year arguing the questions on these, so they stress me out.) 


Why do we have to go through this process? Because ADD/ADHD meds are generally stimulants. Doctors are (rightly) very hesitant to prescribe these types of meds without the data to back the symptoms. 
Simply, the tests (largely the Wais-IV) are used to look for discrepancies in mental functioning. If there is a large enough deviation between different areas, it is a predictor of ADHD. There is no "test" for ADHD, rather a series of different components looked at in conjunction.
My testing came back as predicted, with over 2 full standard deviations between my working memory and verbal comprehension/perceptual reasoning. A difference in these areas is what they are looking for in considering diagnoses. (what was so "interesting" about me? Apparently the 2 standard deviations. My working memory is at 101 (from what I remember), so to be that far off from the other areas is clinically significant. Or so she said, and since I paid her $$, I shall believe. Besides, I like to do things big.) 


From all the data, the conclusion is that I have ADHD with hyperfocus. Easily put, my brain can be compared to a microscope. I am either out of focus, unable to see anything clearly, or too focused, unable to see the big picture. The only problem? I have no control over the dial to either focus in or out. 
I have chosen to try the medication, and it has worked wonders for me. Yes, I still forget things, am distracted easily, and can be impulsive. It is not a "miracle" medication, rather a tool to help me manage the symptoms along in conjunction with behavior modification. 


Would I recommend the testing to others who may have adult ADHD? That is a decision only you can make. You are the only person who truly knows what this is doing in your life, the effects on job, life, relationships. Many times adult ADD/ADHD is linked to anxiety and depression. Treating one can often help the other. For myself? It was the right choice. I'm still "me", it just means I might be able to finish 3/5 sentences without losing the thought. I'm not as impulsive, have less anxiety, and my self esteem has improved. There are drawbacks, naturally, but there are drawbacks to not treating it. I have chosen the path that works best for me. I'm not sure if this helps, but I thought I'd share some of my observations. 
I'm planning on talking about the "social" side of the ADHD tomorrow or Thursday. (and yes, i mean in March, not January. I mean, hey, I can get this done in a timely manner. I have only been working on this post for 2+ hours- and have gotten up 7 times...) Feel free to let me know any questions you have (that I may or may not be able to answer!) Or you can tell me I forgot to elaborate on a point (again). I have this thing where I sometimes think others can read my mind, so I don't explain things. Who knew they couldn't!?
post signature

37 comments:

Kristina P. said...

My husband has it. He does fairly well, but definitely struggles with school.

Barbaloot said...

I'm interested to read about the social aspects. I know lots of hyper-active little boys...but I think they're just that: little boys:) I haven't met anyone that seems to have worked so hard and so closely with it as you.

Sarah said...

Great post! There are so many kids with ADHD and so many misconceptions about what ADHD is. I think it's really valuable for people to get this kind of information from adults with ADHD, because adults have a good understanding of what's going on in addition to the ability to describe their personal experiences with ADHD. Very interesting!

Kelli said...

This is going to sound strange (maybe) but at least you have a problem to focus on, something that you can say 'I need to work on this.' I hate feeling unidentified. Makes me feel 'swimmy.'
(yep, I just said that.)
Also, I adore your spazziness, don't lose too much of it. I wouldn't be able to recognize you.

Kelli said...

This is going to sound strange (maybe) but at least you have a problem to focus on, something that you can say 'I need to work on this.' I hate feeling unidentified. Makes me feel 'swimmy.'
(yep, I just said that.)
Also, I adore your spazziness, don't lose too much of it. I wouldn't be able to recognize you.

Sarah MP said...

This couldn't have come at a better time for us :)

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

Thanks for letting us inside your brain. It's kinda wild in there. :) I honestly never knew of an adult with ADHD. I always thought it was a kids problem. But I'm glad you're getting the help you need.

Elizabeth-FlourishInProgress said...

thanks for candidly sharing!

between the little bit of time that the testing was recommended and you actually doing it, were you hesitant to do it because of what the results might be or because you thought it might be a stressful testing process? hope the question is not too personal/offensive.

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to your next post!

TheBabyMammaChronicles said...

I wish I could read minds, wouldnt that be cool?! But thank you for the info :)

Kmama said...

I'm glad the medication is working for you and that you went through the testing. Gotta love it when a medical professional says anything about you is "interesting." Gee thanks!

Mrs. M said...

This was super informative...I love that your test results were, um, interesting. :)

The Stiffs said...

I could've told her they would be interesting. Geesh!

Mama4Real said...

My question is how expensive is it to get tested, and do you need a Dr.'s referral? Cuz... um... *hangs head*...

Missy said...

This makes me want to go back to School Counseling!
Oh, how I miss testing, interpreting test scores, and chasing students around my office! LOL

Audreya said...

Thank you for posting this. I've diagnosed my husband with ADHD. I mean, sure, I have no qualifications to do so, but whatever. :-) Seriously though, I had another adult friend go through the testing and diagnosis process. It made me more aware of David's "quirks" and led me to ask him a few questions. I had him read through a few of the assessment criteria my friend shared with me and he said "This sounds EXACTLY like me!" I told him it was an adult ADHD assessment and that he could do what he wanted with that information. I am hoping he will let it sink in a little and then choose to go through the testing and treatment process, but I know I can't push it on him. So, I'm trying to learn some of the things a spouse can do to help, how I need to relay information to him, etc. So far, it has helped some. Now that I've made a short story long, the point is that I appreciate you and others sharing your experiences because it helps not just those with ADHD but also those who interact with them.

Anonymous said...

OMG. The more I read about your ADD the more I think I have it, too.

Meghan said...

Thanks for sharing! Once again, I think you are incredibly brave and candid and I appreciate that. I also am clueless about adult ADHD and I appreciate learning more each day.

The Mother said...

I have a so with adhd. He's an interesting character. Not bad, in any way; just interesting.

With the drugs, he does great.

Lady Mama said...

Thanks for sharing this. I'm glad you found the testing / results have helped you out.

Sandra said...

Clearly you're doing something right, because look at you go: educating the masses about such a prevalent issue in society!

Richelle said...

Thanks for sharing. My future hubby has ADD.

Anonymous said...

I could make you sit still, oh wait I mean I know how to make you sit still..

I think

LucieP said...

my 10 yr old was diagnosed when he was almost 6. He has been on medication ever since. It definitely helps but you're right- not a cure all whatsoever! His dad would benefit from it but he doesn't want to.

Classic example:
I've been asking my son about his Science test for a week. He hasn't taken it, hasn't taken it, hasn't taken it. So yesterday, I ask him to write a note in his planner reminding himself to find out when it is. As he's getting out of the car, I remind him about the note and he says, "Oh did you say Science? We took that yesterday and I did good, I got 11 right!"

ummm now when I asked him out of how many, I got the deer in the headlights look!!

What has Corey said about your behavior now post meds?

<3

Pearl said...

That is so difficult. I had a boyfriend once with the same diagnosis! and he was the sweetest, most forgetful person...
Pearl

Ameena said...

I absolutely think that everyone has ADHD to some extent...I see it in my husband, I see it in myself, I see it in my daughter. I wonder how much of our environment causes these symptoms?

I'm glad that you were treated and are doing better my friend. And once again, your honesty just impresses me!

Holly said...

Thanks for putting that all out there! I am sure my son will be diagnosed with ADHD when he is older. And now that I know what to look for, I wonder if I have/had it too.

Sarah @ Life as a Movie said...

I've been wanting to get tested for years. I feel for ya.

Charisse said...

LOVE YOU WOMAN! Good job for getting tested. And living with the results. And finding solutions. And now...BLOGGING ABOUT IT!!!!!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I am so glad that you got tested and that the medication seems to be working well for you!

Cheeseboy said...

Very interesting. I'd like to try those tests, just to see what they are like. Looking forward to reading about the social ramifications...

Miller Racing Family said...

This post was very interesting. I totally didn't know that ADHD testing was so in depth for adults. I thought it was just the same as students. Thanks for letting us in on this side of your life. I look forward to learning more about ADHD.
Blessings!

Crystal Escobar said...

Sara, that is very interesting information. I recently read a little about it in this book called Magnificent Mind at any age. It was very interesting. I bet you'd enjoy it. He does say the the medication can be a very good thing.

Betty Manousos said...

Thanks for sharing this.

I feel for you.

Hope you have a lovely weekend!

B xx

Unknown said...

you're a brave person to say you have this thing. others are always in denial. thanks for sharing, i know in a way you can help other people.

Debbie said...

I'm hearing more and more about adults being tested and treated. Good for you for posting about this. I bet it will help a lot of people.

More Than Words said...

Thank you for sharing and being so open and honest! I've heard of adult ADD before, too!