3.13.2011

ADHD Part 2 (I almost put off doing this, but that would be embarrassing)

Please ignore the title of this post. The part where it says I was going to put this off. I didn't... I just...Well, it involves...Fine. I put it off. Also, the spacing on this here post is driving me nuts, but I am too tired to continue. And my battery has 2 minutes left, and I don't feel like getting the charger. 


But! I am here now. (also a storyline of my life) 
For years I was angry at myself for being lazy. For forgetting items, appointments, to respond to stuff. It drives others and myself nuts at times. Ever emailed/text/twittered something to me and not heard back? Then heard back in 2 seconds another time? That's me. 
Often, I read the item, compose a response in my head, and never type it. Often, I even think that because I went through the work in my head that I have in fact sent it. I have not. 
++++++So. Basically, I was going to write about social implications, but it turns out I did more of a personal reflection of how ADHD has affected my life in terms of confidence, abilities, ect. You may see some of yourself in here. You may see some of your loved one. You may think I'm crazy. send peanut butter.++++++


For children, different active behavior is justifiable, after all, they are kids. As you enter adulthood however, you are expected to leave these "juvenile" behaviors behind. Follow social norms a bit closer. 
One common factor I have noticed in adults and children with ADD/ADHD is this: 
The feeling from others who do not have ADHD that we should be able to "control" this. Honestly, have you ever looked at a child, adult, or teen with ADHD and though to yourself, "If they just tried harder to be organized, it wouldn't be so difficult." 
We hear this a lot, as well as:


You are smart, you just need to apply yourself. 


You are older now, and are expected to do these things. 

How come it seems as though you can do the things you want to do, (or remember) but not the rest of it?
(This is hard- believe me, I understand- because it makes you feel worse believing they are only concerned about their interests.) 



You also look at it and can say, "Well, you did it here and here. Why can't you do it now?"
Believe me, we've asked ourselves the same thing. 


Again


and 


Again. 


ADHD is one issue. Willpower/self determination/drive is another. 
We often want to say the ADHD person does not have drive. They are different. 


For every person who has sat me down in my past and told me how capable I am, yet how I was not living up to my potential? Yes, I knew. However, I did not know why.  I'll never forget my high school counselor sitting me down and saying, "Sara, I went through all your test scores, and you are smart. You need to be able to show this in your classes." 


I thought I was lazy. 
Stupid. 
Unable to do what others did. 


Sure, I could do some things, but others were so difficult for me. 
I would guess every other person with ADHD has had a similar thought pattern: 
"Okay, you know you can do this. Tomorrow is a new day. You are going to do it. Get it right. People will not be disappointed in you, and your life will be so much better." 
Often followed by:
"Why can't you stick with anything? What is wrong with you?" 
For me? The hardest part was knowing I could do things "well" at times, but not others. It was beyond frustrating how I could have it "all together" for a period of time, then be totally scatterbrained again. It was hard to know what I did to others because of this. In fact, some of the examples I have, I am too embarrassed to share here. I know, not only in my head, but written down how dumb they sound. And how REAL THEY ARE. 
Unidentified, ADHD throws a smack at your self esteem in adulthood. While you can see successes in your life, you are more aware of the failures. I've lived each day knowing I could do better, do more, didn't accomplish what I should. I've only recently started to even accept myself, much less like myself. I can play a mean game of acting confident in myself, but I struggle daily. For each success, I remember 2 failures, times I didn't get it right. (Which may or may not also be connected to my ED and quest for perfectionism. I get 'em all messed up at times.) 
For each person who says, "You are a good friend." I am upset with myself because I know I could do better. I want to do better. 
That is what I am getting at here. Another facet of ADHD, where we have to identify ourselves and come to terms with who we are. It honestly took me longer than I anticipated to come to terms with the results of the testing. There was almost a "grieving" process for my childhood and life so far. One where I thought back on how different things could have been. I am not one to sit there long, and I know each experience has brought me to where I am today, so I can accept it. yet sometimes you wonder...


Beyond social norms, beyond what it does in terms of self esteem. Many adults with ADHD have depression and/or anxiety. These may be seen as the primary condition missing the ADHD connection, especially if it has never been explored. I know my anxiety has decreased dramatically since beginning medication/behavior modification. (Yes, I am still afraid of Axmurderers, but that is REAL. A bear coming out of the corn to eat me while I run is not as probable.) 


There are a ton of good books out there for people who think they may have ADD/ADHD, for those who parent, live, work, or are in relationships with them. Understanding it for myself is one huge piece, and having others who understand the why has been another blessing. 


Items which have helped me: 


You mean I am not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy by Katie Kelly and Peggy Ramundo 



Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.? Stopping the Roller Coaster When Someone You Love Has Attention Deficit Disorder by Gina Pera


For me, it has also been a realization that even though it is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder?
I am not under any deficit. 
I am not at a disadvantage because you can put "disorder" behind my name. 

I am not worried about not fitting into "social norms." I am learning that being me has its own advantages. I heard a quote once, which, of course, I can't remember. Here's a paraphrase. 

"It turns out, there was nothing wrong with Sara that couldn't be fixed by what was right with Sara." 

Preach that. 


post signature

25 comments:

Teamarcia said...

You know, so much of life I think, has to do with just going with, and making the most of what we have. I despise the people who 'so helpfully' want to change us and give horrible, patronizing advice. There is SO much right. That's where the focus should be. Your last line says it all. Hugs!
LOVE your skating pics--the important part is that you got out there and DID it!

Anonymous said...

Yep. I saw a lot of myself in this post, too.

Love the quote at the end!

Kmama said...

You have been so strong through the years, to put up with all that you have. And I see you being so strong now. Pushing forward, rehashing what you've been through. Keep on being strong!

Val said...

This is very powerful! I'm proud of you for posting your honesty! I truly admire you.

Sarah Jane said...

Lol. Yes, preach that! I think about so many extremely intelligent inventors and artists and composers and so many had "labels." As always, love your honest posts. Have a great week.

bobbi said...

Preach on!! Love this post - love your last line. Perfect.

amanda said...

i've gone back and read a ton of your posts i've missed. ahhhh. i love the realness you have. and stotally think we'd get along great in person. reading your posts is like talking to myself in my head! ha. i love the 'real you' and think that it's fantastic that you also realize the need to be the real you and not blog for anyone else but you (and God of course. ;) ) thanks for sharing your heart. it's a beautiful one!!

Tara said...

I know quite a few adults I have suspected of having ADD/ADHD but I don't "know" of any adults that have actually been tested. I wonder what the statistics are of those who really have it vs. those of get tested and seek treatment of some kind for it. My guess is a lot fewer adults get tested because of the stigma associated. Then again, I often hear people joking about having it when they most likely don't. Glad you shared your story....

Mrs. M said...

I enjoyed reading as you again put it all out there - love that. Great way to wrap it up too, make sure that quote is printed and visible to you every day!!

Mama4Real said...

I think we are going to find out if our insurance covers the testing... for both of us. The more you write about it the more I resonate and the more scared I get about the results. I don't really feel like I had this as a child though...but nowadays? Anxiety defines me most of the time, and the whole "You should be able to handle this" mentality? Um... yeah. Ouch.

Wiz said...

I also saw a lot of myself in this post. I am not a stay at home mom because I KNOW that if I did, I would stay at home and do nothing all day and then beat myself up for it. It has helped that I found a job that really works well. I can get stuff done, if I have to, but if I dont have to, like cleaning or laundry, I just wont do it! And I dont know why! I do feel lazy. I cant tell you how many times I got the "potential" speech in school.

Loved this post. Sorry, it has been so tough at times, but it sounds like you have a great attitude!

Lady Mama said...

Seriously, I've learned so much about ADHD through you and your blog. I definitely think differently about it now, instead of rushing in with assumptions I have more understanding of what people with it are dealing with. So, thanks!

Helene said...

You know, I see my husband in a lot what you've written here. And it never dawned on me that he could have ADD or ADHD. I'm pretty hard on him most of the time when he can't seem to focus on any one thing in particular or when he can't even remember where he left his keys for the 4th time in one day.

I'm gonna talk to him about this and see what he thinks. Makes me feel bad that he may not have any control over this and may not even realize this could be his issue. I just attributed it to him being a man and not having his priorities straight.

Love the quote at the end. Definitely a quote to live by!

Thanks for sharing this!

Guacaholic said...

Bravo, madam. I have had so many of the same thoughts as you, especially the two mistakes for every success part.

You've motivated me to look my own issues in the eye.

King J's Queen said...

You've given me much to think about in these last two posts. I'm still trying to think it through, as it hits close to home.

Richelle said...

I see a lot of my fiance in your post, and unfortunately, I think I tend to give him a hard time sometimes. Thanks for posting this. I hope it will help me be more understanding of my sweetie.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I love how you ended this post! My husband has ADHD, anxiety, and depression. Last year, he finally began to see a counselor, and was put on the proper medication. Although he still frequently forgets things, it has made a world of difference!

Betty Manousos said...

The last line is terrific!
Love it!!

All I know is that you're such a great teacher, my sweet friend!

And you know what? I see a lot of myself in your post.

Big hugs!

B xx

Cool Gal said...

Amen to the last line! :)

Missy said...

Excellent post! You could really help other adults who are hesitant to get tested!

Holly said...

Love that paraphrase! It's so true, I think, not only with people with ADHD but for everyone. It sure sounds like a struggle. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Hugs....

Foursons said...

One thing I have learned once my son was labeled w/Aspergers: He is the same kid he was before the label as is he after the label. And I love him the same if not more once he got the label.

You are a strong woman Sarah, and all of this will only make you stronger.

Amanda said...

People used to not want their kids to be labeled. From what I see now, from my perspective as an adult... a label can help. Because at least there's a reason. No, it's not an "excuse", per se, but at least the lack of atte... ooooh, shiny! is no longer a moral failing.

Carol said...

Great post! I love your last line! It's terrific!

Anonymous said...

you said girl...

*high five*