3.02.2011

The Legacy (with liberal use of italics)

(For those of you who do not wish to listen to me blather, I have summarized this blathering at the end in 3 -fine 4, I have a hard time being short-  short sentences.) 


I believe I have mentioned on here before that I was not the "ideal" high school student. I mean, if by ideal, you mean someone who actually went on a regular basis. Or who turned in work...or listened well, obeyed rules, or didn't wait until the teacher wasn't watching and cut across the track so they wouldn't have to run the whole mile.
If those are the standards for an ideal student, then perhaps I could have used a bit boatload of work.
I also have stated many times that this is not me today. It was me then.



That's right. I had my own "big dipper" zit formation on my forehead.


Absolutely.
However, correlation does not imply causation.


To make the assumption that who I am today can be determined by my behaviors at 17 is...well, inaccurate.
-       -        -       -       -        -      -       -       -       -      
We went to a new church on Sunday. It was a lovely place, and the people very nice. As we were being introduced to different people, we realized I had gone to high school with some of them. When I state my name, there are various reactions. Those who remember me are at times surprised. They seem to run under the assumption the mother standing in front of them is the girl who they remember from high school. My (now) good friend Ken once told me this. He was unsure of what to think of me, because in the beginning, he was unable to separate the "high school" me with the woman in front of him.
I get it quite a bit when people from my hometown learn I am a teacher. On Sunday, I laughed as I was faced with this again. "Okay, I am dying to know how someone who skipped so much school ended up becoming a teacher. Can you tell us?"
It is quite logical, really. Think of it like this:
"It seems each time Sara uses the microwave at school, something is burnt. Therefore, we must conclude the microwave has a vendetta against her, and burns her innocent food."
Well, until we factor in the rest of the variables, like the fact I turn it on too long, walk away, forget about it... it doesn't show the whole picture.


The same is for my high school years. To assume, "Sara was did not make good choices in high school, therefore she must not make good choices now" is a fallacy.
It does not include the possibility of other unknown factors which could affect the outcome. (if we were looking at this like some sort of economic thingy or something) 
It also assumes the actions I used as a teenager where character traits rather than coping mechanisms (of the negative kind. Which seems to be a theme of my life, but that's another post.) Of course, not everyone can know the experiences which lead us to different actions, but it must also then be assumed we cannot use only our base knowledge to make character decisions about others.
(I mean, we do-let's face it-but my argument here is more of the "why" behind this, and why we are often unable to look for/assume unknown variables. I am actually too guilty the other direction, in which I excuse entirely too many behaviors/actions based on the belief there must be an outside force causing a person to act like a poohead.)


Had these people known the other factors which lead to my behavior as a teen; I believe the picture would show a bit differently. However, it is neither my intention nor my belief that I must clue past acquaintances on my past experiences. 


Instead? I wish we had an open sense of interest, wonder, and acceptance of one another. 


Or? I'll assume you took the same ride I took... on the bus to Adulthood! 


The experiences, changes, and decisions I made following high school shaped me into who I am today. I choose not to judge others on who they were. Therefore, it is frustrating to me when I feel like I am being judged on the me of years ago. 


Fear not, feel free to make your decision about me based on what you see today, but let's leave that broken, hurting young lady from high school out of the picture. She had her time, and is better for it. See how grown up she is? 
This came out more of a rant than I had intended, but I am unsure of how to state my feelings without a certain amount of emotion behind my opinion. I'm a tad like that. 


Summary: Sara was not a great high school student. She grew up, found healing, love, and hope.  It turns out her high school self was operating on coping mechanisms, and it was not an accurate portrayal of her personality and morals.  








post signature

35 comments:

Lady Mama said...

It's true. Who we are at school - even into our late teens and early twenties - isn't necessarily who we're going to be later on. I was a mediocre student in most subjects at school and I would cut corners and skip lessons occasionally, but then I grew into an adult with two kids and a career and a life that I would consider fulfilling. So - poo to them!! *pokes tongue out*

Anonymous said...

I was a total wreck in high school and in college. Now I'm an average, boring small town mom who goes to church and holds down a job.

I'm thankful that I don't run into too many people from my past or I'm sure I'd get the same questions from them.

Kmama said...

Remember my whole series about me being a dork?? Everyone thought I did well in school because that was all there was to me. When I attended a party the summer between my sophomore and junior years of college with a bunch of old high school acquaintances, they nearly passed out when they saw me drinking and talking about sex.

People are so quick to judge and label.

alison said...

i was really concerned that i was going to have to get out my sociology textbooks to be able to find the true meaning of this post...and then you used the word "poohead" and i heaved a big sigh of relief ;)

thank goodness we aren't who we were in high school (well, except for my friend wade. he's EXACTLY the same. which is why he's 34, not married, and still living at home. oh, and dating 19 year olds). we live, we learn, and we grow. hopefully for the better! i am SO glad that i did.... my choices in boyfriends alone showed my obvious stupidity when i was 16!

Foursons said...

Yup. I concur. Totally. If people still think I am the person I was in HS than I've got huge problems as a 36 year old adult woman. Problem is that when I get on FB I expect to see the same people I knew in HS. They've grown up too. Who knew?

Tara said...

Our circumstances definitely shape us but it doesn't mean we can't have a hand in changing our path either. I've found that a lot of the immature, rowdy, way different from me people I knew in high school aren't so bad now.

Guacaholic said...

This post needs a "like" button.

Unknown said...

it sucks when you're stucked on the image you had back in high school.
you're not alone with this, i think everybody had bad experiences in high school and they don't want to remember it...

King J's Queen said...

I'm thankful I've gotten to "meet" some of the people I went to school with on Facebook. It seems even the most mischievous of us grew up quite a bit and have matured just nicely. (Okay, maybe a few didn't, but they are the exception.) I surely don't want to be remembered for who I was in high school!

Egads, I graduated 25 years ago this year.

honeypiehorse said...

You know, I read somewhere that it's never too late to have a happy childhood...

Kari said...

Its amazing how you can simply prove peoples assumptions wrong just by being you! I personally, couldnt love the dork you were at 8 swimming in your little blue pool more than I can the woman and mother you have become! I am so proud of you!
PS.I stalk your page all the time! I never comment but am always affected by what you post! Distance, time, ect always keep us apart but I still think of you!

Blessings!
Kari

Staci said...

I don't know why some people assume that the way someone was in high school is the way they will always be. I recently attended my 20th high school reunion AND I have made contact with a lot of my classmates on Facebook. It is really interesting to see how many of them have grown and matured over the years and how some of them who seemed to "have it all together" back then have kind of slipped a few rungs on the maturity ladder. I guess I always just assume that people are NOT going to be the same that they were in high school...for many of them I REALLY hope they hopped on the "Grow up and be an adult" train.

My husband has told me numerous times that he is glad that we didn't meet each other in high school or college...he's not proud of his behavior back then (nothing illegal). I tell him that although he might not have made the best choices back then (who doesn't have regrets from your teens and early twenties?), those choices and the ones he made afterwards to change his life, are what made him into the amazing man, husband, and father he is today.

As for living with the stigma of always burning your food up in the microwave??? Sorry, can't help you...once you have filled the school halls with the nauseating stench of burnt microwave popcorn, you are pretty much labeled for life ;p

Kelli said...

I think all memories from high school should be wiped from our minds within three years of leaving. Nothing good happens in high school, plain and simple. And the people who loved it? Eh, I feel sorry for them. Who likes a time when you can barely drive, can't drink and have a curfew. That's lame.
Sorry that you have to fight this stigma, small towns suck. That's why I moved away from mine.

Sarah Jane said...

That's what Church is all about- finding hope and love and healing!

TisforTonya said...

this is awesome! I WAS the ideal student in HS but I still struggle with people not realizing that in the intervening years I've changed a LOT and I'm a lot happier with who I am now... of course, it might just be because it's hard to convince people you've "grown" when you still haven't hit 5 feet tall...

Kitchen Belleicious said...

I love that we can grow up to be different people later on in life. I was basically the same in hs as I am now but I was so selfish and all about me which I realized later in life that its really not about me at all!

Nicole said...

Awesome! I think all of us change so much in our lives, it is really unfair to judge someone on past behavior. Its sad though, for example if someone's past behavior hurt others etc, but we all grow up and learn from our mistakes. During highschool I was great friends with someone, one day she was super mean and challenged me to a fight, we didn't end up fighting, but we never talked again, anyways, it turns out she was having a lot of family troubles that I didn't know about and the challenge to the fight was after I mentioned that her mechanic dad had helped my mom with her car, and she directed anger onto me because of troubles her parents were having, so long story long :) she went through a rough time after highschool working through stuff and now is doing well, and friended me on fb! :)

Kayla said...

In HS, I thought I was so grown up - wow did I have a lot to learn! I travelled into adulthood and became more confident and comfortable in my own skin and in who I am. I mean, how much can you really know at 18?

Too bad people can't look at how much they've changed before making snide remarks. We all grow, learn and change as life goes on.

I say "well done" to you - you've become a beautiful wife, mother, teacher, sister, daughter...the list goes on and on!!!

Barbaloot said...

Good for you for being proud of who you are today! It might not be a bad thing if I were a lot different from my high school self. Not that I'm not mature or responsible, but I'm still way too socially awkward:)

Mama4Real said...

I get this too, though I was a different person than you were, obviously... I mean, duh. But, yeah, at our reunion, I couldn't help but wonder if someone had a heart attack when I drank an adult beverage. He he he. I'm more of a rebel now than I was then.

Michelle said...

I don't think a lot of us were perfect high schoolers but we all made it out alive!

Sorry people were judge-y. I hate that!

"Cookie" said...

The past is the past and that's where it needs to stay. That's a negative about living in a small town.... everyone knowing your past and also knowing your current business. But, for me at the end of the day it's worth it. Sounds like it's worth it to you too. :) You are such an inspiration!

The Stiffs said...

I think everyone is at some point judged by the past. It stinks. I'm sorry for you and every other person it happens to.

heidi said...

Well said, Sara. I think people have the same general reaction to me - I am nowhere NEAR the person I was back then. And thank God for that, right?

Holly said...

I think we can all be thankful that we are not stuck being the people that we were in high school. ;) Hugs....

Emma said...

Oh my goodness...this is so true! My best friend has been so since we were 14 and she had a really rough time around our school years! When people meet her now they can't believe that she's not the same person and they try and force her back into their image of her!! It's something she's really struggled with over the years!!! I'm pretty sure that everyone changes form high school to their 30's!!! xxx

Miller Racing Family said...

Loved the post. The statement about skipping school and being a teacher is a scream.
I am glad to have met you here in blogland (I think we would have been best friends in HS), you bring a smile to my face everyday!

Mrs. M said...

I think this is true for so many of us!

Anonymous said...

So very true and you as always are right on track..

Wow... you were different

Cheeseboy said...

I was actually a pretty good kid in HS. And by that I mean I was a huge dork. Good to see the rebels and dorks can someday combine to teach the future.

Richelle said...

I was such a goody-goody back in high school, but became a bit rebellious in college. I've found a happy medium. :) Thanks for posting this.

Anonymous said...

I cant believe how much Ive changed since highschool! And then I was even more wild and crazy in my early 20's. And then I got pregnant. And now, Im a mom. That pretty much sums it up.. =)

TheBabyMammaChronicles said...

I agree. I think most of us are very different than we once were. If we arent we probably havent done much living. Sorry silly people judge.

The Mother said...

Pretty much the reason I avoid reunions more than the plague. In fact, I'd much rather be in the endemic southwest prairie.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

People are very quick to judge. Isn't it funny how much adulthood can change us?