4.10.2011

Best Run EVER (and totally boring post)

So, after my hiatus, I realized I was like a ton a tad behind on my training plan. My idea? Bump out a 15 miler on Saturday. 
Thinking it would be fun to run down by the lake, I took off. Again, with my stellar ability to think things through, I decided to take the wet trail through the woods. After stopping to jump over puddles (and land in mud up to my ankles) I finally decided to just run through them. You know, all tough like. 
Then there was the ice and snow. Finally, I decided to head back, fill my water bottle quick, and take off down the Soo Line Trail (which is a old railroad line they turned into a trail. It runs 114 miles in a line. Not the coolest run, but decent for training. Added plus? No loose rabid dogs or killers on the trail. 
My FIL was going to take the boys over to Onamia to visit their grandmas in the nursing home, so I figured I would run there, meet him, and he could drive me back. #perfect
I even accounted for my FIL's terrible sense of time, like the fact he has no idea how to stick to it. He said he would leave in 45 minutes, so I figured I totally had 1.5 hours. 
I make it down the trail. (Um, if you saw a woman filling her water bottle with snow somewhere on the trail? It was not me. Nope.) 
14.23 (yes, at this point I count every single foot) miles in? I am what I think is less than a mile from the nursing home. I turn. I run to the major highway and begin running down it. I pull into a gas station (16.34 miles) to fill out with water and call my FIL. Who is still at home fear not, he is totally leaving in 1/2 hour here. 
He points out to me that I turned the WRONG direction, and the nursing home is 3.5 miles THE OTHER WAY. 
Really? At this point? Why not just run it, right? Serious, what is another 3 miles now? My wet feet are hurting anyway. Strength, Sara, strength- don't be a wimp. 
Off I went. 
Well, kindof. I was sweaty, running into the wind, slightly cold, and running like I had a load in my pants. However, I did it. I pulled into the nursing home at 20.02 miles and finished. 
The sweet ladies who guided me to the correct rooms were kind enough to not only show me the way, but also point out how funny I was walking and how insane I am. Thank you ladies. 
Luckily, my father in law showed up an hour later with dry clothes. If you are keeping track? This is about 3.5 hours after his original 45 minute estimate. 
However, I am super stiff barely moving HAPPY to say...I got my first 20 miler of the season in. Nothing like a fun surprise!  Right? Right? 
post signature

51 comments:

susan said...

wow! impressive. i wish i had your determination!

Sarah Jane said...

Oh my gosh, girl. You're crazy. Way to go!

Kristina P. said...

I am tired just reading this!

Mama4Real said...

Good.Ness. Who are you!?

Staci said...

I don't think you really have to worry about ax murderers trying to get you while you run...
1. They couldn't keep up with you for that long carrying that big heavy ax
2. Even if they could run for that long carrying the ax you would definitely lose them along the way with your twists and turns in your route :)

Keep running!

KSK said...

I.am.exhausted!!! Wow lady! I would've been done when you went back home to refill your water!! I WISH I could run like you!!! Way to go!!!

Meghan said...

That's amazing! Congrats lady!

Missy said...

20 Miles???
Are you insane??
WoW!!
I really need to get off my ass and run instead of chopping wood...

Amy said...

Wow girl you amaze me.. Be safe out there..

The Mother said...

Better you than me.

Kaci said...

Damn!! I love your running spirit! My hubs says that to me all the time...I thought I was going to go 8 but I did 12. LOL!

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

HAHA!!!! Better you than me!!! I'm paning and walking like that, after going around my block. :)

Michelle said...

Great job! Even if it was by mistake ;-)

Bari said...

Holy cow! I need a nap.

Sarah said...

When in doubt just keep running! There's a real difference between a 15 and a 20-miler, though. Must have been hard work. It must have felt SO good to get in those dry clothes! It's always an interesting combination of stress and great adventure when a running route doesn't exactly turn out as planned.

Meg said...

Holy crap, lol.

Here's to your first 20 miler of the season, cheers!

Kristy said...

Wow. Just wow. You're my inspiration!! :) I started C25K and I'm totally complaining about my 3 minute run. Yes, you read that right. 3 minute, not 3 mile :)

Sarah @ Life as a Movie said...

I'm so jealous!

Momma got the runs said...

LOVE it! An accidental 20 miler! You are so funny. And now up on training! You go girl!

Momma got the runs said...

LOVE it! An accidental 20 miler! You are so funny. And now up on training! You go girl!

Richelle said...

Oh wow! You are such a trooper. Way to go!

Kelly said...

You are awesome!! Your FIL sounds like my husband :)

Kitchen Belleicious said...

now that wasn't boring- it was fun and exciting to hear about your run! Okay i am lying it wasn't fun- it was making me jealous because i didn't go run until the part about the cold, wind, etc. then I thought it was fun again!LOL! Love you girl!

Liz Mays said...

You have fortitude! That was one heck a run, albeit accidental.

Guacaholic said...

Nice detour in my (cabin) 'hood! Who can resist the charms of Wahkon?

Seriously, I can't even stand biking the Soo Line. BORING. So the fact that you managed to run it and not veer off onto county roads is impressive.

Betty Manousos said...

Aw, Sara you're my hero!
I am really impressed!
I wish I were a runner like you.
WOW! I was excited to hear about your run. :)

Happy Monday!

Big hugs!
Betty xx

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I'm impressed...but geez, it turned out to be a lot longer than you anticipated!

Anonymous said...

I know who should play the new wonder woman!!!!!



YOU...

Kayla said...

Your stories always crack me up! I love the running like I had a load in my pants visual!!!

But, you found the silver lining...got in that first 20 miler - congratulations!

Holly said...

You're amazing. I can't imagine running that much -- and in the snow!

Kirsten said...

I'm just going to say that I hate you. Because I've never gone on a run that I didn't 100% plan out the mileage. I did an 11-mile run on Saturday that was supposed to be a 12-mile run and I just.could.not.do.it.

So I only hate because I wish I had the problem of a run turning into 20 miles and being able to feel good about it.

Miller Racing Family said...

Amazing, you are simple amazing!

Lady Mama said...

20 miles!? I'm in awe! Except for the running like you had a load in your pants part. That bit not so much.

bobbi said...

hahahaha!! is it wrong that I am LAUGHING? Oops - wrong way, guess I'll just keep running! (totally something I'd do...the wrong way part, not the keep running part). You are awesome - great 20 miler to kick your hiatus to the curb!

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you were so close to Lake Mille Lacs! We drive by the Soo Line trail all the time on our way to the cabin.

What are you training for?

Loukia said...

You? Are amazing. Way to go, you.

Stephanie said...

You are amazing! Standing and applauding!

Anonymous said...

I am now convinced. You are INSANE. lol 20 freakin miles?! Holy cow! Here I was thinking that I'd like to be able to run ONE mile.

alison said...

girl, the day that i ACCIDENTALLY run 20 miles will be the day you can rest assured is the last day of the existence of the earth ;) this story is why i run my driveway....otherwise there's no telling where i'd end up! and i can appreciate your FIL's sense of time management.....are you sure he's not my mother??? i had vivid memories of waiting on her throughout most of my entire life ;)

Cheeseboy said...

Question: I love to go on really long runs like this but I hate not having water. Do you carry water with you? I don't really want to get one of those water belts. What do you recommend?

Anonymous said...

You ran 20 miles??? I was all proud of myself for walking 2 miles yesterday.

Was.

Till I read this. :)

Teamarcia said...

Now that is one helluva 20 miler! You are tough girl!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am totally impressed.

Emma said...

Lol! I haven't done a long one like this in forever but I would be totally sore too!!! Hope you ease up soon crazy lady xxx

Tara said...

*i'm officially tired now*

Amy said...

Yeah I think my blog will be safer then a ghost tour. But that could be fun also..

Debbie said...

Snow, ice, and feeling like you had a load in your pants. Yes, those could be in the top 10 of why I don't run:)

Mrs. M said...

Whatever works for you Sara. :) Nice job.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so Im thinking I MAY start running. MAYBE. Probably not, but Im considering it....

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Good grief lady...I would have cried! hahaha

Kristy said...

Yo! Did you see the shout out I gave you on my Tuesday's blog post? :) I totally plugged this post of yours ;)