Anyway, I decided to go for it. Luckily, as I signed up on Tuesday, the weather forecast for the weekend looked terrible. (I pretty much figure if it looks bad it will, in fact, be fine. #FAIL)
Steph and I woke up Saturday morning to the sound of pouring rain. We dressed, chatted, ate, and drove to the parking area in pouring rain. As we stood in line for the buses to the starting area, we questioned our sanity. (We decided we are sane. Just lacking common sense.)
Here we are, fresh as daisies, after fighting our way into the pavilion for our gear drop:
We also found FREE cowbells before the beginning of the race. I had to have one, despite the fact I had nowhere to keep it. Instead? I carried it for 13.1 miles in my hand.
(as I questioned my sanity of doing so, Steph responded, "Because you are Sara, and that is what you do and why I love you." So to all you peeps out there wondering why? Because I am Sara, and I loved my yellow cowbell.)
The race itself? Wet!
The 1/2 marathoners ran with the 10k's until mile 5, where we broke off. I think I have run a large portion of the course before with other urban Twin Cities races. There were no pacers on the run, and I had forgotten my Garmin at home, so I had pretty much no idea of my pace the entire run. I was just going for what felt good given the wind and rain.
Instead, I just smile and follow the crowd.
I was thirsty the entire race. I didn't have a water bottle on me as I was planning to use the aid stops, and I figured I could open my mouth and grab some rain drops as needed.
At one or ten point, I thought about grabbing a handful of water from the puddles and sucking away. (I've had a dry mouth all week, so I should have known better!)
Actually, I did grab a handful of puddle water to wash my face at mile 9...it seems I had a hard time getting the GU packet in my mouth rather than on my face.
I also made the age old mistake of mixing GU types & flavors. NEVER a good thing for me...hello stomach distress from mile 10 on.
Mile 12 had me almost throwing up- I couldn't decide whether it would be better to hold it in or get it out. I struggled a bit with the gear as well. It is hard to know how to layer for a rainy run, and I had too many base layers on, so my core was hot while my arms were cold. and wet...oh so wet...
Coming across a bridge over the Mississippi at mile 12? The wind was blowing the rain at an almost vertical slant.
All the better to pelt me in the face and direct the water into my mouth, right?
Final result:
I came in slower than I would have liked, so I will take that as a reason to train harder!
Things to work on:
• I've felt a few tinges in my left knee on my last few runs. I need to do some amped up cross training to avoid IT problems.
• Core strength
• Proper hydration. (There may not be puddles at the next race as an option.)
• Not mixing GU types. I have done this multiple times, paid the price multiple times. Blueberry GU + Expresso + Vanilla Bean + Lemon Gatorade= FAIL
Anyway, to finish it off? I love running. I love these types of races. There is nothing better than seeing thousands of people out there doing the thing we love, hearing the feet hitting the pavement, seeing the effort put out, and giving it our all.
To the sweet lady at the end who told me she had spent the race following my bum and how much it helped her? I lub you.
To the bums I chased? You, with the unique white piping on your pants? Purple jacket lady? Girl who ran with her legs flying sideways? Thank YOU.
I came home yesterday to the boys playing with my nephew, who was over for the day. On a runner's energy high, I baked 2 cakes, cookies, brownies, did 5 loads of laundry, cleaned the house, organized the cupboards, cleaned the fridge, played Mario, read a story to my nephew, broke up 1,000 arguments, and ran errands.
Today? I pretty much haven't moved over a 10 foot radius all day. I'm going down for a nap now.
31 comments:
you did GREAT!!! Congrats!
You are my hero! I have a half Sat. And want to yak! Hope I have that same high when I'm done.
You did fantabulous - I would kill for a 2 hr 1/2 time. For realz.
And I have yet to find that post race energy. I'm usually ready to curl up in a ball and sleep for a week.
Gosh you rock my socks off! You're just like Benny and the Jets.. if by Benny and the Jets I mean you jet by all the other runners and finish as a rockstar!! I am practicing Candle in the Wind as I type this. Hope you have a fabulous day. I'm still working on the hubs to give me a visit to Minnesota to chill with my favorite runner!! :)
Hugs,
Erin
Bless your heart. No matter the speed you still impress me. Can't believe you carried the bell for the full race.
Have a great week!
Still a great time and under less than ideal conditions too!
I have been thinking about running a half marathon. You did so well!! I really enjoyed reading this post.
You never cease to amaze me!
Yay for you running a race, I need to get my running butt in gear.
I suggest you avoid the puddles, that might have lead to your stomach problems. ;)
Excellent results....and while there is certainly nothing wrong with telling yourself to train harder next time, you could also chalk it up to craptastic weather, wind and hills. Just saying. :)
Did they change the course? It started and ended at the same place the year I did it....I don't remember any busing...
Great work!
Way to go, Sara! I was thinking about all the people who were running the GIG yesterday slogging it out in the rain. I must say... I'm envious of your ability to bust out a half-marathon on the fly. Wish I could do that.
Sara you are so hard core! I love you!
Good for you on the 5k girl! You did so well and I love the things you were able to get done after the race. I am the same way after I run, I have this high for about 3 hours and then I just collapse! LOL!
Wow! Good for you. I was there at the Get in Gear and ran my first 10K. It was tough, but felt good to accomplish. I can't believe you had all that energy afterwards! I was whipped out with sore feet and knees and was almost falling alseep later on the way up to St. Cloud. I also didn't get a medal! I was bummed. I must have missed the people handing them out : (
Great job anyways, I envy the long distance runners as I don't know if I will ever get there myself... : )
I bet running in the rain was fun! That's my favorite.
I don't think you need to train harder, you probly just need to get rid of unnessecary things like, I don't know, a cowbell?!
You're awesome! And so inspiring.
Every time I read one of your running posts I think 'I really should try that sometime.'
Then I remember how lazy I am. :(
I'm glad you made it through to the end, in spite of your need for water and tummy issues. Now you know what to change next time.
I am so proud of you.. Rain and all you just keep on going.. Have a great Monday..
You are amazing! Congrats, girlie!!
yay!!! great job!
i don't follow your bum, but you definitely push me to do better! thanks sara!!
Way to go, girl!
I would have been miserable the entire time. I hate getting rained on!
very impressive. I give you major kudos for running like that.
Congrats to both of you 'daisies' on a great race!
Wow that is one productive post-run high...I can only dream of doing anything more than laying around groaning.
I am freakishly hungry today.
WoW! I am tired just reading how far you ran!!! And then home to complete all of those chores...
You are Super Woman!!!
Congrats!
CONGRATS!!! That is a huge accomplishment and super impressive!!
Girl, I think a 2:01 time is amazing! Congrats!
My friend ran the Flying Pig half marathon this weekend. I was jealous. I want to be able to do THAT. It was her first and we've agreed we're going to do the Redlegs Run 5k in June and then I'm training with her for next years Flying Pig.
I've taken a lot of inspiration from your running posts. I think one of the main things I really like is the idea they give me that I can do it too.
Congrats to you. Maybe someday I'll be running alongside you ;)
Wow...
and thats way, well thats just why..
Smiles
proud of you...
way to be committed...RAIN and ALL!
Nice job! I HATE running in the rain and I think I would have just gone home knowing the entire thing would be in the rain. Makes me chafe so badly.
And I think the moral of this story is...
MORE COWBELL!
YOU ROCK!! I'll stick to my 5ks and live vicariously through you!!.... cause this girl just doesn't have what it takes to run like that. :).... question though. Did you eat the cakes, cookies and brownies?! Cause that's a lot of food!
Post a Comment