5.03.2011

The Day My Ego Almost Killed Me

That is, today. 
For the past I don't know, but it is more than 4 years it has been a 4th grade tradition to take the kids out the track at the end of the day and have them run/walk A Mile a Day in the Month of May. 
(catchy, aren't we?) 
Basically, we send 'em out to the track, and give them a time period in which to make 4 laps around. Even walking at a s  l   o   w   pace, every child can get 4 laps in. and i have seen some SLOW ones. 
Anyway, every year we giggle because the students see where we are standing as they approach (yep, same spot every day...) and as they round the corner, they bust out as fast as they can for the last 20 yards as they pass us. 
As soon as they pass us? They stop, gasping for air. And repeat. 
For fun, I'll jump in for a lap or two and pace them, race them, or just visit as we jog. 
Today? It was Ego vs. Sara vs. Student


I see a student, and go flying out onto the track. He sees me and starts sprinting. I speed up. He looks at me and says, "You'll never pass me."


My response? "You won't make it to the first corner and I'll take you down.


We give each the LOOK (something like, I AM NOT GOING TO BE BEAT BY A TEACHER or I AM NOT GOING TO BE BEAT BY A 4th GRADER) and start sprinting faster. Other students come up by us for several yards, laugh, then drop off. 


I'm beginning to wheeze a bit here. Yeah, I am a slow twitch, not a fast twitch sprinter. (Okay, fine, my sprint isn't really a sprint either, more like a Boston runners race pace going into the wind on heartbreak hill low on fluids with a bum knee and chaffing issues.


I'm thinking, "How much longer can this kid GO!? I am going to faceplant here soon." 


He speeds up. (Reminder: See what the kid eats for lunch tomorrow and copy.) 


I speed up. 
We are headed around the last turn, full out sprint, and I am nearly dead. I think about running into the fence on "accident" to save face- yes, that was one of my saner thoughts. 


As we take out, he gives me one last look, pulls ahead...and stops. 
"You got me." 


I give him a high five, congrats, and continue to trot back to the start line. 


Where I stop, wheeze, and gasp for air. My coworker asks, "Should I go grab the defillibrator for you?" 
and I am all, 
"YES. But? I was not beaten by a fourth grader." 
That's right. H-E-L-L-O ego...I can't beat anyone in my own age group, so I'll kill myself taking down a 4th grader. #irock


Let's hope he doesn't want a rematch tomorrow. 

post signature

44 comments:

Erin said...

LoL you tell the best stories.. probably because you have the funniest moments ever. I'm glad you beat him, but maybe next time, pick on someone your own size ;)

Richelle said...

I see a new game show in the making... "Are You Faster Than a 4th Grader?"

Sarah said...

Haha! That's totally something I would do. Take those kids down a notch! :D

Teamarcia said...

Bwaaaahaha! Glad you could show him who's boss! Hilarious! I do love the mile a day in May routine. Our school does it only once at the end of the year that I know of.

Kaci said...

Those little boys are fast little mothers aren't they?! I remember a boy in my 5th grade class that ran like a 6 min mile. Jerk. He's fat now so I feel better about my 10 min mile. I did not just say that. I did not just say that. I did not just say that.

Anonymous said...

Ha! You really showed him.

Annsterw said...

You are awesome! My nephew kicks my butt everytime!! I have no pride or ego left - LOL!!!!

Bari said...

Hilarious! This is the exact reason why I have turned down the request every year to coach Girls on the Run. Those little girls would kick my butt and my poor ego couldn't take it. (well, that and the fact that it's during track season and I'd never get to see my own kid run)

Next time, gu up first and you'll cream him.

Cool Gal said...

Ha ha! I love the competitiveness - even against a fourth grader. LOL...well done!

KSK said...

Hahaha! Way to go! Score 1 for the grown-ups!

Kelli said...

Ha! I wish I could pretend I've never done something that silly.

The Stiffs said...

Suddenly I understand all the quarter mile notes on FB yesterday. Good job. I'm not sure I could beat a fourth grader.

bobbi said...

My daughter is actually running a mile today (I may have convinced her to run a 5k with me this summer - wahoo!).

I am LAUGHING because that is totally something i'd have done. Great job!!!

"Cookie" said...

hahaha! Love it! You teachers have the best stories ever! :)

Kmama said...

That's so great! I would have to win too!

Anonymous said...

So he pulled up and .... let you win?

I guess that counts then..

Unknown said...

be ready for a rematch!

Barbaloot said...

Hope you counted that as your workout for the day:)

heidi said...

At least you weren't beat by a 4th grader. :-)

alison said...

that is so something that i would have done....except i would have gotten outrun by a long shot ;)

Stephanie said...

Oh honey...you just made me relive that exact same experience with my own daughter. Last summer (in Grade 5) she kicked my butt. I haven't been able to catch her since. Sigh..

Jen said...

Oh that is too funny! I sometimes feel like I can't catch my 3 year old so I don't think I would even venture to challenge a 4th grader!

Furry Bottoms said...

The kids must have thought you were super cool because you joined in! Most teachers wouldn't.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

That is too funny!!!

Nicole said...

thats awesome that you didn't give up! I think its great that you kept going. LOL you either taught him to a - let the nice teacher win to get a better grade later or b - how to have alittle healthy competition! :)

Chandra said...

So last Friday my son's school had a "mom and me" picnic. We were to bring the stuff for a pinic, everyone eat together and then games were to follow such as, balloon toss, 3 legged race, tug-o-war...you get my drift. So my son and I walk over to the tug-o-war and it was moms vs. sons. Us moms thought we had this in the bag...there were 6-8 of us and mayber 10-12 of them...and they darn near beat us...we won by a hair...so apparently these 3rd, 4TH, and 5th grades are not only STRONG but SUPER FAST. Damn them.

Kayla said...

The month is young...I'm guessing you'll be in for a rematch!

Emma said...

Lol! That's too funny x

Meg said...

Way to go girl! I would have done the same thing and I also think you'd do it again tomorrow if he challenged you again. :)

Amy said...

Wow you go girl.. Have a great night..

The Mother said...

I know it's awful, but at some point, we all have to admit we aren't 10 anymore.

Sara said...

Hahahaha Nice...

That should at least earn you some major classroom respect :-)

King J's Queen said...

Tomorrow, have a 5th grader challenge the 4th grader. Hehe.

Anonymous said...

"Should I go grab the defillibrator for you?" CLASSIC

Tara said...

You should have embellished your story a little bit to make it sound better like....you were running in high heels and still beat the kid! Thank goodness you didn't pass out in the end because I'm not sure it would have held the same significance.

Debbie said...

I couldn't beat a 4 month old! So, congrats to you!!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Pro sports in that kid's future?

dawnmramsey said...

ha! I love it, Sara. I always tease my kids in running club that it would look really bad if their teacher can out run them at three times their age.

Anonymous said...

Soooo, do you think he let you win??

Just kidding!

I always love your crazy running stories.

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Seriously how do you get in yourself into this positions? I love it! A fourth grader- I am glad you won but he might have let you win- he could probably tell you are one chick NOT to mess with! LOL!

Anonymous said...

I love that you admit you wanted to (and did) take down a fourth grader!

Liz said...

I'm your new follower! I just arrived here from Random Pockets of Chaos and have to tell you... Om-goodness! This post literally made me snort. Thank you for keeping it real.

Kameron said...

I would have had the same ego! lol I wouldn't let a 4th grader beat me!

Kerri said...

Hilarious! I just found you through Princess of Sarcasm, and the school year's almost over! I'll have to backtrack. Dare I hope you're teaching summer school? jk! Back off!