6.22.2011

Blah, Blah, Um, Need to Learn to Take My Own Advice

A great group of friends and I are running a 1/2 marathon in August to benefit World Vision. For many of the team, this will be their first race, as well as the longest distance they have run. I cannot be more proud of each of their determination, dedication, and spirit. When we hit the part of training where the goal is in sight, the distance is hard, and the belief can run low, I sent out the following to the ladies. 
I think for the next week I am going to apply this to all areas of my life... and learn to take my own "advice.

- There will be times when you go out and can hardly seem to run a mile, despite the fact it was easy to do 3x that a few days earlier. Our bodies react to heat, humidity, energy levels, lack of sleep, stress...all of it. There are times I cannot run a 1/2 mile without feeling feeling terrible, and it comes with the territory!
For myself? I actually have learned to love these tough runs. Why? There is no better way to prepare yourself for the challenges of a run (and life!) than moving through these types of workouts. There have been runs I have literally not been able to finish because I am too tired, wiped out...whatever. However, using these as a way of reflection, learning, and a desire to persevere has been incredible.
I have a tendency to "beat myself up" over a bad run. However, as I reflect on the run, the week, my body, I learn valuable lessons on finishing a goal, believing in myself, and overcoming obstacles.
One of the reasons I love to run- and run long distances- is the opportunity to challenge myself. When you push yourself beyond what you believe you can, it transfers into all other areas of your life.
I truly believe running has been one of the reasons I have been able to handle other things that come at my life. I've learned how to be tough, fragile, strong, and listen to my body. God gave me an amazing way to quiet my mind and hear him through running.

-Have a mantra of sorts to push through hard spots. Sometimes I will repeat a saying, count to 100, visualize a spot I am going to run toward...anything to push a bit further when I want to quit!
Sometimes at marathons, they will have you "dedicate" a mile to someone. You might run mile 8 for your grandma, mile 7 for a best friend, and so on.

And finally (yes, finally!!) for the ladies:
I am heavier than when I started running, and heavier than I was after having Elijah.
I started running to lose weight and get to a certain number on a scale.
However, after many injuries, hard times, and setbacks, I learned to run for myself.
While running does give our bodies the physical exercise it needs, and can cause weight loss, it is not the ultimate goal. Run for World Vision, yourself, your limits.
Each one of you is 100% beautiful, wonderful, awesome, and perfect the way you are. Don't tell yourself that you will be better a few pounds from now, rock yourself the way you are, the strength you have today.
The ability to run has nothing to do with your body size. Your ability to train and do this has nothing to do with your body size or current pace!
Getting out and doing this is what makes us awesome!


I've got big changes ahead, so belief is going to be big...eyes on the end goal, right!? 
love ya all, 
 
post signature

24 comments:

Foursons said...

Wow Sara, those are some AH-MAZING words! And I have found that the runs that I struggle to finish (even as a mere beginner, may intermediate runner) are the ones I am most proud of.

Thanks for posting this!

Bari said...

This was exactly the post I needed to read. Thank you, friend, for reminding me of what I already knew but was beating myself up too much to hear.

Miller Racing Family said...

Love this post. What great words of encouragement.
I totally agree about running for yourself. Though I don't run I believe this about my workouts. I use to workout for the numbers that I could never reach and now I workout so that I can be around to see my grandkids someday.
Blessings!

Richelle said...

Amen! What a fantastic way to encourage your teammates!

Sara said...

I LOVE this!! Such great advice and words of wisdom from a pro :-)

Also, I sponsor a World Vision child, so Francesca and I thank you...

Anonymous said...

Great advice. I remember those beginning days....those were so much fun yet so full of anxiety....fun to look back now and see how worth it the running journey has been. :)

Kaci said...

You are not only a teacher but a coach! I love it! XO

Kmama said...

That's such great advice...not only for running, but for all of life!

angmartini said...

Great advice post! I think I needed to hear some of that as a 'heavier' runner who loses motivation sometimes! : ) Thanks!

The Stiffs said...

This is wonderful. I'm forwarding it immediately to a friend who is considering her first full marathon. I love your spirit!

Amy said...

You can do it.. I am always cheering for you.. I forgot to tell you in those pictures last week I cut my hair off.. I will have to e-mail you the other stories..

Meg said...

Those are motivating words--thanks. I need to get back into half marathon training. I'll run today, thanks for the inspiration runner girl.

Val said...

Such a great post.....I wish I was a runner. Come visit and I will load you up with carbs =)) Fuel for the soul.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

That's what I try to tell myself all the time...eye on the prize baby!

Cheeseboy said...

I'm with you. The best part of running for me is testing my limits and pushing myself. Today was one of those days that I felt like crap after 1/2 a mile. And it was 94 degrees outside. I really, really pushed myself and got 6 miles in, which was huge for me in that heat.

Sometimes the running itself SUCKS, but the reward you feel after totally makes it worth it.

Crystal Escobar said...

So so true Sara! You can totally compare running marathons to life. Running my ONE marathon really helped me in so many ways, most of all it gave me more confidence. I was able to believe in myself more, knowing that I could endure something so physically tough, made me realize I was much stronger than I thought, and my determination is what got me through it.

Kitchen Belleicious said...

You are an inspiration girl! Love this post out of them all! Well said

Amy said...

Happy Friday...

Kayla said...

Great advice - thanks for the inspiration! You rock!!

Anonymous said...

I think, no I know that there is nothing that you cannot do...

nothing.

Teamarcia said...

Fabulous! I think I'm gonna print this and keep it. So true yet we all forget it and do the self flagellation thing...at least I do, especially when it's hot and I. Suck extra much. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Did I tell you that you inspired me to run?

Well I wouldnt call it running, more of a quick walk - lol! But thats because my 10 yr old couldnt keep up.

Also I ate like 76 gnats. And one flew IN MY EYE. I think I'll be waiting for awhile before i do that again! lol

Kameron said...

Isn't it funny how much easier it is to give advice than to follow it??!! I find myself looking back at things I have told people to encourage them and find I need to take my own advice too! :)

Laurin said...

Stopping by from Jenna's Journey! Last week I ran out of the door without my GPS to record my run. I thought that I would die without knowing my distance and speed, but when it was all said it done - it was one of my better runs because I felt absolutely free. :)