6.27.2011

Rant to Regret

As in, I am in a mood as I type this so I may regret it. However, my current mood will not go away unless I type this out or do something wild like clean, so here I am besides, my house is spotless

Many, many people in life go through tough times. I'd almost take the liberty of saying 100% of people deal with big issues at some point in their lives. 
What I love about about the human race are the intricacies that both make us unique yet bind us together. While each of us may react to a situation in a different way, bring different personality traits to the table, and offer alternative viewpoints, we are still bound together by common elements of compassion, belonging, acceptance,and love. 
Although I may not understand the journey another person is on, it is not my duty to decide what their reaction should be. My only role is to find elements in which I can empathize, take the time to learn about the situation, and really? Be a friend. 
No, it is not an area in which I excel, nor do I ever believe I will perfect it. I can only choose to be conscious of my own actions towards others and hope to do so in a way that honors my personal values. 
For myself? I find it very hard to understand others who do not feel they need to extend the same respect to others. Those who feel their opinion is law, they can say what they want, and that they have an open invitation to do so. 
Personally, yes, often I do see things in other people that I could "address" to them. 

----------------------------
A few years ago now, I was listening to a sermon while running. The pastor talked about issues such as this, and how we are woven into each others lives in many layers. We are part of many, many lives, in many, many capacities. There are people with whom I have the RIGHT and the RESPONSIBILITY to speak into their lives in different areas. To note areas of concern, happiness, goodness, sadness, and so forth. There are people who I can pull aside and say, "Tell me what is on your mind. Talk to me."
So, it would stand that the opposite is true as well- there are those who I am a part of their lives, yet I am not personally the one to address certain issues. Yes, they may concern me. Yes, they may upset me, make me yell to others...whatever they evoke. However, it is not my right to address these issues with them unless asked to do so. 
I know I am on shaky ground there, but I believe we all "get the idea" of which I speak.
If I throw my opinion on others, speak into their lives, it needs to be done with a pure heart. It is not from my interests, or my ideas on how it should be done from which I can speak from. I need to speak for them in a way that lets them know I truly care for them. 
 Since I'm wading into "what in the world is Sara talking about" territory here, I will throw out an example. 
If a friend of mine is having money troubles, yet I see her out buying a new TV, video games, then complaining how there is no money for the phone bill, and how life has been unfair? I may be upset. I may see the irony of this, see what I feel is the answer, and tell her so. 
Maybe a lot of people do. Maybe there are others all out there talking about her spending, her bills, her unemployment...everyone agrees it is a problem. 
Are all of us in agreement obligated, or even have the right to speak to her about it? No. 
No, there is one person, maybe more, of whom have her best interest at heart, who can speak and support her in a way that is real and meaningful, and can provide honest support. It is not about them in any way, what they personally derive from it, nor how it makes them feel. It is about living in tandem with others, and giving support to those you care for. We all can tell the person "Quit spending money. Find job. Do this...do that...this is largely your own doing." 
Yes, it may be, but do we really believe telling them so will change it all? Like, "Oh! I see! I get it now, okay, I will quit doing that! Thanks!" 
uh...doesn't happen a lot, does it? That is why I believe it is my place to only serve this role in lives in which I feel I have a pure intention. I would rather have one person speak words I do not want to hear from their heart, knowing they are there for me all the way, than 100 people telling what I do wrong and walking away. 
________________
So where am I going with this rant? good question I guess it is just that...a rant. I way to voice my frustration over others reactions and opinions regarding me. 
Today? I told my MIL about my ED therapy, and how I am going to go more intensive. 
She yelled at me. 
She told me I need to follow the directions of the therapist, told me I am setting a bad example for my children, costing our family a lot of money. I tried to explain it to her...She told me I should not need additional steps, that the basic program should be more than enough for me. The disappointment in me was...obvious, apparent, like a glowing neon sign...


I spent a good couple of hours bawling my eyes out. I called Corey crying, called my friends. The wonderful people in my life helped me put it into perspective, but it still hurt. 

Bad. 



Underlying it all is a sense of disappointment. For those who have traveled with me on my journey, been with me as I struggle, fall backwards, take steps forward and learn? They are rooting for me. They are here for me, they are the ones who can speak like this. They are, and they do. They can pull me aside and say, "Sara...I haven't heard from you. What is going on? Talk to me." 


I am also saddened by the lack of understanding and attempt to empathsize in an appropriate manner. 


If it were all that easy? If all it took were someone to tell us "You need to fix this"? 
Well, I daresay the world would be -nearly- a perfect place. 
Each of us has obstacles which manifest themselves in different ways. I didn't point out the areas in my MIL's life in which she hasn't done things the "correct" way, areas of weakness she is unable to conquer. It is not my place, nor do I have any desire to do so. I could spend my time pointing out others flaws, if only serving to make myself feel better, but I choose not too. I just wish the same could be extended, you know? 


It seems to me love goes much further in so many ways. 


------end of current rant-------
post signature

41 comments:

bobbi said...

oh, Sara...

{{{giant internet hugs}}}

it's always saddened me that some people just don't have it in them to try and empathize. to offer support. but instead, they sit in judgement. which HELPS NO ONE.

so sorry...

Kelli said...

Hey girl. You will get through all of this. Eventually she will understand. Until then, I'm here - we're all here for you.

Nicole said...

I'm sorry Sara, I think sometimes people just don't think before they talk. I agree with above, being judgemental doesn't help the situation, nor does telling a person who is being strong and putting themselves out there by continueing a therapy which can support their growth in every way that the therapy isn't needed. Go you for being open and doing what you need to do.

Guacaholic said...

My own MIL struggles with overreaching, though I think she truly feels she has others' best interests at heart. It just never comes across that way. The things she has said to me (all weight-related) would make you shudder. I never want to cause someone to feel the way she has made me feel but I've been so so so very guilty of acting like your MIL. Maybe not the yelling, but definitely the judging. And for that I am sorry - sorry to you for questioning you in the past and sorry to my friends and acquaintances for not watching my own bobber.

Kaci said...

Here for you always! I need to write a book on how to be a silent advocator for ED for adults. I love you so much!! I told Jon about this and he was so shocked, he's lucky his parents and mine were supportive. He had friends that didn't understand and said stupid things but thank God not his family. Again I love you and care about you!

Andrea said...

Awwww BIG HUGS!!!!

Liz Mays said...

It breaks my heart to think that she yelled at you and made you feel so badly. I am so very sorry. No matter that she disagreed, it wasn't right of her to treat you that way. I am confident that you know what is best for you, so follow your heart.

Big hugs!

Sarah Jane said...

Argh! So sorry, Sara. You get it. You know it. I know you're gonna find the peace you need.

The Stiffs said...

I don't know what to say to you. I'm proud of you. You do whatever you need to do to get through this moment. Unfortunately, family especially in laws tend to speak without thinking. Hope she comes around for you dear friend.

The Napkin Dad said...

Do what you feel you need to do. If it costs HER money then she holds purse strings she really shouldn't hold. She shouldn't use it against you even if she does hold them.
If you feel you are making progress and are getting to be the person you want to be, and you get some feedback from others (including us 'strangers') then I say keep going!
Friend,
Marty

King J's Queen said...

I'm sorry! That's just not nice. You keep doing what you need to do and try not to worry over the MIL.

Jen said...

My older sister, whom I love more than anything, was once in a terrible relationship (guy was alcoholic, emotionally abusive, etc.). I never said one. single. word. even close to unsupportive. Because? I knew nothing I said would make her "see." She knew in her heart of hearts it was bad news and when she would call me all upset, I tried to support her and her feelings, without supporting her choice to continue an unhealthy relationship. It was a tricky line to walk. But I did it because I love her. And sometimes I think saying nothing says a lot more too.

To think someone close to you would do anything other than support you and your decision, a decision to get more help? It's infuriating. I'm so sorry for you to have to deal with that. I hope she thinks before she talks the next time.

Stay strong, do what you feel is right. xoxo

Richelle said...

We are all rooting for you Sara. I know I believe that you do what is right for you and your family. You are awesome and an inspiration for all of us who read your blog.

Stephanie said...

Oh Hon
Your MIL reaction is exactly what you said... "a lack of understanding" Try to let it go. When we take care of ourselves we can only then be better Mamas. Take care of you, the res will take care of itself.
Hugs

Simply Complex said...

Well said darling. (and great title too!)

My mother does the same thing to me. I call her when I am feeling like a failure and her reaction always puts me in more of a funk. Her "advice" sucks, and makes me feel like I am always doing things wrong. Judgemental, I guess.

Anyway, it sounds like this is how you are being "handled" too. I am sorry you have to go through this. And as you know, just lean on Corey. If it works for your family, and you get stronger, healthier, and better, it will be good for all of you.

Keep truckin' chickadee!

Anonymous said...

You, and possibly your therapist, are the only ones that know if you need more/additional therapies to be successful. You could be doing nothing to help yourself reach your potential. But you aren't. You are working, pouring yourself into being the best person you can be.

Even if mil doesn't understand it, she has no right to say such things to you. Stay strong. You are in charge of your future and I know that you're going to make.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

So sorry Sara. Glad you have other people in your life who are supporting you. ((hugs))

Kmama said...

I completely agree with all you said, especially as it relates to some issues I have with my inlaws.

I'm sorry your MIL was so unsupportive, but I'm so glad you have so many supportive people in your life that you can turn to.

Kayla said...

You know what you need to help you on your journey - your MIL tried to turn your positive steps toward healing into something monetary (who cares what it costs?)...so sorry she couldn't support you!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I'm so sorry, Sara. What she said to you makes me so angry. All you need right now is support, not judgement. I am proud of you for wanting to take an extra step to make yourself better. Much love to you!

"Cookie" said...

I'm coming to understand that we all have our own things to deal with.. like you stated! I've led a pretty cushy, easy life up until the past 3 years or so. Money became (and still is) a real issue due to being in the construction business. It ranges from money, divorce, work issues, children, parents...so on and so forth. It pisses me off when people think they have bigger issues and theirs matter more than others..... or the flip side, a person (such as your MIL) isn't understanding of something that totally understand. I can't say that I get what you're going through b/c I don't. I can empathize and wish you the best of luck!!

Each one of us is amazing in our own way! My thoughts.... stand with me and support me or step the hell back and take care of your own shit. :)

The Mommy Therapy said...

Pretty impressive rant! It so hard to understand why people feel the need to comment on/advice give on things based on how they perceive the situation.

I hope writing it all out made you feel better and all the comments of support encourage you to the better.

Have a good Tuesday!

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

You must be in my head!!! I am having the same issues, but all of them read my blog so I can't post about it. Grr... {{Big hugs}} going out to ya!!

Foursons said...

I knew exactly what this was about as soon as I started reading it. Hang in there girl and be true to yourself.

Emma said...

oh hunny, I really wish she understood but as she so blatantly doesn't you need to surround yourself with people that do. It's obvious from your blog just how much you love your family and need extra steps is no reflection on how much you are there for them and how much you love them. As regards to the money I would say that you can't take it with you so you may as well spend it in getting exactly the help you need! Sending you big hugs lovely and if you ever need to get away you know that you are more than welcome to stay with me in the UK ;-) xx

Holly said...

Aw man, that's terrible that your MIL did that to you. I feel like sharing what I think with you -- but in light of your post, that would be ironic, wouldn't it? I'll do it anyway: you have to do what's best for you. I'm sorry she made you cry, but I hope that will make you stronger and more resolved -- not less. Hugs to you....

Amy said...

I do not like to read that you are upset.. Life does take us all over the place.

I am like you and I want to help out others but when they do silly things with their money and then say they do not have any that drives me crazy also..

Sorry to say this but I am not happy with your MIL's response to you getting the help and steps you need. You are not hurting your Family or your children. You are teaching your children when things get tough it is okay to get out there and ask for the help you need. Instead of doing nothing. If you did nothing then yes in away you would be hurting yourself even more and in turn your Family. I am so proud of you for taking the right steps to have someone help you and get it all on track. That is the hardest part.. It is greta to cry and rant and get it all out.. Keep on going and you have my support..

Kitchen Belleicious said...

I wish I could hug you right now! I am so sorry! I love you and it hurts me to know people are like that. I just can't imagine how. In a way I feel sorry for them because they are obviously harboring alot of hurt and resentment in their hearts

Shawn said...

You know how I feel Sara. It's amazing that people find it so easy to criticize others. I guess it's easier (and safer) than taking a hard look at one's own life. Well said, girl!

Cheeseboy said...

You know what you need and your mother-in-law's opinion should be irrelevant. Of course, "should be", but I know how mother-in-laws can be.

Miller Racing Family said...

Bless your heart, Sara. I think you did a great job with this rant. I always hear people say, speak your mind and I use to be a tell it like it is person. But I also heard a sermon about this and it said the same thing but also it mentioned to ask the person do you really want me to tell you the truth. Sometimes people want the sugar coat and then sometimes they need the straight forward.
I am proud of your hard work and you keep taking care of you and your boys.
Blessings!

Amy said...

Happy Thursday...

Hope today is better..

Val said...

I wish we lived closer....I would pour you a glass of something fabulous and make you a yummy meal and have lots of girl talk!!

Anonymous said...

You do what you need to do. Screw everyone else! =)

Sarah MP said...

I don't think you need to regret any of that ;)

Shell said...

Hopefully, she will understand.

I think it's easier for others to look at our lives and say "oh, here's your solution" but they really don't know all the details.

Anonymous said...

I am sending up a prayer that her heart will be softened. What a great rant!

Kristin said...

Girl - I've been on both ends of this type of situation before. And crappy as it is, everything you said is correct. But that doesn't make it easier for you or help make other people understand. BUT I do know that you don't have to answer to anyone but yourself & God. (Even Corey, your kids, etc. come after that).

MY words of advice (because I know you're DYING to hear it! haha!): You do what YOU need to do and not worry about her issues with it.

I'm praying for you. :-)

Amy said...

Thanks for my Fourth of July wish.. I hope you and your Family had a great one..

Staci said...

After I read this I wondered who told your MIL she was capable of standing in judgement and throwing stones? No one is perfect, just as you said in your post. You ARE setting a good example for your children and have every right to be upset when a family member hurts you in that way.

My MIL says things without thinking ALL. THE. TIME. I once mentioned, out loud, that I wanted another baby (this was when Lucy started toddling around). She said to me (with John sitting right there), "You'll lose John if you do". I was floored! She said she almost lost my FIL when they found out she was pregnant with #4...who happens to be MY HUSBAND! I told her that John was NOT his father. She had no idea whether o not John and I had even discussed the possibility of another child and she said that to me! I couldn't believe she would have so little faith in her son as well...to think that he would leave me if WE had another baby...grrrr. Anyway, sorry to add to your rant, just wanted to let you know that you have lots of support and many MANY people who wish you all the best :)

Teamarcia said...

So sorry I'm just getting to this! Crap where've I been??
IMO people who are insensitive and stand in judgement like your MIL (and mine) do it not to try to help you but to help them feel better about themselves.
You're doing wonderful things for you and your family. Bug hugs. Nothing but support and admiration coming from here.